Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Question - First smoke (Boston Butt)

We're getting ready for our first smoke, and we've chosen a
Boston Butt for our first try. DH thinks we shouldn't do a rub
for the first one. Should we go without or try a rub?

Any feedback on the rub or any other pointers you can offer will
be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 27, 7:31 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:40:48 -0400, Karen C. wrote:
> > We're getting ready for our first smoke, and we've chosen a
> > Boston Butt for our first try. DH thinks we shouldn't do a rub
> > for the first one. Should we go without or try a rub?

> Always rub it with something - salt and pepper at the very least.
> Garlic and onion powders and a little, not much paprika are
> common as well.
>
> -sw

I could be full of it, but I think brown sugar really helps crust to
develop and attracts and holds smoke, so in addition to what Steve
mentioned we put on a light rub of brown sugar. Can't hurt, Pork
+heated smoked brown sugar go well together in any case.

Have never done side by side comparisons. Hmmm, I'll do that next
time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> We're getting ready for our first smoke, and we've chosen a
> Boston Butt for our first try. DH thinks we shouldn't do a rub
> for the first one. Should we go without or try a rub?
>
> Any feedback on the rub or any other pointers you can offer will
> be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Karen C.

Karen,
I have always recommended (for beginners) To learn to cook the meat (to
your liking) first, then add rubs. Once you can cook a given piece of meat
to perfection, you can then start adding whatever to improve the taste, if
needed. Salt and pepper and maybe a little garlic powder may be all that is
needed.
Keep it simple.
Don't worry too much about cooking temps. But do try to keep the temp hot
enough to cook the meat.
I recommend at least 250°. I prefer 325°.
Ain't no need to sit around hungry for 12 hours waiting for something the
can be done in 7.
There are many ways to know when the meat is done. But a thermometer is
easiest for beginners.
If you want to slice it, 165° to 180° will
work. For pullable 195°-205° is good.
Good luck.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Google "Renowned Mr. Brown"...it is a fine rub for pork shoulder, have
used it often, I usually substitute chili powder for the cayenne
pepper to give it a little less "bite."

Good luck!

lownslow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Also, a serving suggestion----

Many people "pull" the meat into strands and serve on hamburger buns.
This is a great way to eat pulled pork!

However, you might try another way sometime----

Put the pulled pork into a big serving bowl or several strands on your
plate. In a separate bowl squirt two or three tablespoons of your
favorite dipping sauce on one side of the bowl and a few teaspoons of
your favorite dry rub on the other side. Then have fun eating the
barbecue with your fingers, first dipping the strands into the rub
then into the dipping sauce and then into your mouth! Heaven!

I far prefer eating it this way than with hamburger buns.

Hope your barbecue is a success!

low-n-slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

low-n-slow wrote:
> Google "Renowned Mr. Brown"...it is a fine rub for pork shoulder,

It is also an old-time nickname for the bark.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
> We're getting ready for our first smoke, and we've chosen a
> Boston Butt for our first try. DH thinks we shouldn't do a rub
> for the first one. Should we go without or try a rub?
>
> Any feedback on the rub or any other pointers you can offer will
> be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Karen C.

Rubs can be a complex subject. My preference is a simple salt, pepper,
garlic rub. IMO, you just don't need anything else.

While it can be fun to experiment with seasonings, too much can overpower
the flavor of the meat. The wrong combination can be more of a distraction
than an enhancement. Why not rub one end, leave the other end plain? See
what you think and experiment from there.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> Always rub it with something - salt and pepper at the very

least.
> Garlic and onion powders and a little, not much paprika are
> common as well.

Sounds like a good start. Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I could be full of it, but I think brown sugar really helps

crust to
> develop and attracts and holds smoke, so in addition to what

Steve
> mentioned we put on a light rub of brown sugar. Can't hurt,

Pork
> +heated smoked brown sugar go well together in any case.

Does it not make the pork too sweet?

Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> I have always recommended (for beginners) To learn to cook

the meat (to
> your liking) first, then add rubs. Once you can cook a given

piece of meat
> to perfection, you can then start adding whatever to improve

the taste, if
> needed. Salt and pepper and maybe a little garlic powder may be

all that is
> needed.
> Keep it simple.

That's along the lines of what DH was thinking. He was afraid
that, if we didn't like it, it would be because of the rub and
not the pork meat itself.

> Don't worry too much about cooking temps. But do try to keep

the temp hot
> enough to cook the meat.
> I recommend at least 250°. I prefer 325°.

Will do.

> There are many ways to know when the meat is done. But a

thermometer is
> easiest for beginners.

UPS just delivered a Maverick ET-73 today. I hope it's a good
one.

> If you want to slice it, 165° to 180° will
> work. For pullable 195°-205° is good.
> Good luck.

Pullable is what we're after. Thanks a bunch!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Google "Renowned Mr. Brown"...it is a fine rub for pork

shoulder, have
> used it often, I usually substitute chili powder for the

cayenne
> pepper to give it a little less "bite."
> Good luck!

Will do. Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"low-n-slow" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Many people "pull" the meat into strands and serve on hamburger

buns.
> This is a great way to eat pulled pork!
>
> However, you might try another way sometime----
>
> Put the pulled pork into a big serving bowl or several strands

on your
> plate. In a separate bowl squirt two or three tablespoons of

your . . .

I'll go for the buns, but DD and DH will probably like your
"dipping" method better. Thanks for the tip!

> Hope your barbecue is a success!

Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...
> While it can be fun to experiment with seasonings, too much can

overpower
> the flavor of the meat. The wrong combination can be more of a

distraction
> than an enhancement. Why not rub one end, leave the other end

plain? See
> what you think and experiment from there.

That's a great idea! I think we'll start out with the simple
salt/pepper/garlic first, though. We're going to have enough to
test with the first one, as it is; no need in throwing extra
variables into the mix just yet. The way DD and DH love pork,
I'm sure there will be plenty of time for experiementing <g>.

Thanks for your feedback!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:
> Karen,
> I have always recommended (for beginners) To learn to cook the meat
> (to your liking) first, then add rubs. Once you can cook a given
> piece of meat to perfection, you can then start adding whatever to
> improve the taste, if needed. Salt and pepper and maybe a little
> garlic powder may be all that is needed.
> Keep it simple.
> Don't worry too much about cooking temps. But do try to keep the
> temp hot enough to cook the meat.
> I recommend at least 250°. I prefer 325°.
> Ain't no need to sit around hungry for 12 hours waiting for
> something the can be done in 7.
> There are many ways to know when the meat is done. But a thermometer
> is easiest for beginners.
> If you want to slice it, 165° to 180° will
> work. For pullable 195°-205° is good.
> Good luck.

Karen: Big Jim's advice is right on. Keep things simple.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message
> Karen: Big Jim's advice is right on. Keep things simple.

Will do! I'm all for simple! Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> You can get pullable pork butt anywhere from 180-190 and

without
> a risk of drying out. Maybe since you cook yours higher you
> don't risk the drying out, or it somehow affects pullability,

but
> cooking at ~265F average for me, I pull my pork at 185F and

it's
> just fine <shrug>.

Duly noted. Thanks!

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 27, 7:51 pm, "Karen C." > wrote:
> "Tutall" > wrote in message
> > mentioned we put on a light rub of brown sugar. Can't hurt,

> Pork
> > +heated smoked brown sugar go well together in any case.

> Does it not make the pork too sweet?

I suppose it could if you go overboard with it. There's a LOT of meat
and not that much surface, it's really not an issue. Don't taste it at
all except in a few small pockets here and there, and those small
patches of bark are akin to honey baked hams in sweetness.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but whatever temp you
take it out of the cooker at, it'll keep on self-cooking after
wrapping it up and letting it rest. I too have had best results taking
em off between 195-200.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I suppose it could if you go overboard with it. There's a LOT

of meat
> and not that much surface, it's really not an issue. Don't

taste it at
> all except in a few small pockets here and there, and those

small
> patches of bark are akin to honey baked hams in sweetness.

Oh, I hadn't thought about that. I see what you mean now.

> I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but whatever

temp you
> take it out of the cooker at, it'll keep on self-cooking after
> wrapping it up and letting it rest. I too have had best results

taking
> em off between 195-200.

Thanks! I'm hoping we'll be able to give it a go in the next day
or so.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." wrote...
> "Big Jim" wrote...
>> I have always recommended (for beginners) To learn to cook

> the meat (to
>> your liking) first, then add rubs. Once you can cook a given

> piece of meat
>> to perfection, you can then start adding whatever to improve

> the taste, if
>> needed. Salt and pepper and maybe a little garlic powder may be

> all that is
>> needed.
>> Keep it simple.

> That's along the lines of what DH was thinking. He was afraid
> that, if we didn't like it, it would be because of the rub and
> not the pork meat itself.
>
>> Don't worry too much about cooking temps. But do try to keep

> the temp hot
>> enough to cook the meat.
>> I recommend at least 250°. I prefer 325°.

> Will do.
>
>> There are many ways to know when the meat is done. But a

> thermometer is
>> easiest for beginners.

> UPS just delivered a Maverick ET-73 today. I hope it's a good
> one.
>
>> If you want to slice it, 165° to 180° will
>> work. For pullable 195°-205° is good.
>> Good luck.

> Pullable is what we're after. Thanks a bunch!
>
> Karen C.

Listen to Big Jim. Just a guess, but I bet that Jim has smoked more butts
than the rest of us put together. If not, it's close.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28-Jul-2007, Tutall > wrote:

> On Jul 27, 7:51 pm, "Karen C." > wrote:
> > "Tutall" > wrote in message
> > > mentioned we put on a light rub of brown sugar. Can't hurt,

> > Pork
> > > +heated smoked brown sugar go well together in any case.

> > Does it not make the pork too sweet?
> >

> I suppose it could if you go overboard with it. There's a LOT of meat
> and not that much surface, it's really not an issue. Don't taste it at
> all except in a few small pockets here and there, and those small
> patches of bark are akin to honey baked hams in sweetness.
>
> I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but whatever temp you
> take it out of the cooker at, it'll keep on self-cooking after
> wrapping it up and letting it rest. I too have had best results taking
> em off between 195-200.

I have to weigh in here with my experience. Although I've been grilling
since 1964, I didn't start smoke roasting (barbecuing) until 2003. That's
a bit strange because I've had a legitimate "bullet" smoker since about'
1979. At any rate, I stumbled across AFB somehow and the bug bit
deep.

Big Jim says brisket doesn't need a smoke ring to be good brisket and
he's right. It don't. But, that said, brisket with a deep smoke ring doesn't
taste the same as a brisket without a smoke ring. Now when you take
into account the effect of carmellizing the outside of a piece of meat
along with whatever rub you put on it, the effect is quite different then
plain roasted meat with only salt and pepper for seasoning.

Considering the question of "Too sweet" or "Too salty", et., al., one
needs to remember that the seasoned portion of the meat, "the bark",
is generally mixed throughout the entire piece of meat. Consequently,
the effect of the seasoning is vastly diluted by the time it gets to the
plate. Certainly palates vary, thus one person's nectar is another
person's garbage.

When I first read this thread, I asked myself, "Why do I like smoked
meat"? The first thing that came to mind is that it doesn't taste like
smoke. It does taste like the result of the chemical process that
Ed P described a few posts back. It's different and I don't think that
I can get the same taste by adding liquid smoke to a meat product.
The chemical action that creates the taste of the real thing just isn't
going to happen. It may taste good, but not the same.

This afternoon I was treated to ribs grilled by a young Puerto Rican
fellow. He used a three burner gas grill with tinfoil covering the grate.
I had to bite my tongue to keep from bad mouthing him in public. He
kept messing with the ribs. He kept turning them every few minutes.
He finished them with some cheap, sweat BBQ sauce out of a
bottle that he grilled on until it was just starting to carmellize. It was
some of the best ribs I've ever eaten.

The thing is, that however he did it, he managed to cook the meat
evenly until it was thoroughly done, without burning anything. He
glazed them perfectly with the sauce before serving again without
burning any of it. Whatever you would call the finished product, my
tastebuds called it, "Good".
--
Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
news
> "Karen C." wrote...
>> "Big Jim" wrote...
>>> I have always recommended (for beginners) To learn to cook

>> the meat (to
>>> your liking) first, then add rubs. Once you can cook a given

>> piece of meat
>>> to perfection, you can then start adding whatever to improve

>> the taste, if
>>> needed. Salt and pepper and maybe a little garlic powder may be

>> all that is
>>> needed.
>>> Keep it simple.

>> That's along the lines of what DH was thinking. He was afraid
>> that, if we didn't like it, it would be because of the rub and
>> not the pork meat itself.
>>
>>> Don't worry too much about cooking temps. But do try to keep

>> the temp hot
>>> enough to cook the meat.
>>> I recommend at least 250°. I prefer 325°.

>> Will do.
>>
>>> There are many ways to know when the meat is done. But a

>> thermometer is
>>> easiest for beginners.

>> UPS just delivered a Maverick ET-73 today. I hope it's a good
>> one.
>>
>>> If you want to slice it, 165° to 180° will
>>> work. For pullable 195°-205° is good.
>>> Good luck.

>> Pullable is what we're after. Thanks a bunch!
>>
>> Karen C.
>>

> Listen to Big Jim. Just a guess, but I bet that Jim has smoked more butts
> than the rest of us put together. If not, it's close.
>
> BOB

Bob,
8-10 butts a day every day for 5 years. Some days more
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
> Now when you take into account the effect of carmellizing the

outside of a piece of meat
> along with whatever rub you put on it, the effect is quite

different then
> plain roasted meat with only salt and pepper for seasoning.

I think that may have been the difference we've been seeing at
the restaurant we frequent.

> Considering the question of "Too sweet" or "Too salty", et.,

al., one
> needs to remember that the seasoned portion of the meat, "the

bark",
> is generally mixed throughout the entire piece of meat.

Consequently,
> the effect of the seasoning is vastly diluted by the time it

gets to the

Yeah, that didn't even dawn on me; makes sense, now that you and
Tutall point it out.

> When I first read this thread, I asked myself, "Why do I like

smoked
> meat"? The first thing that came to mind is that it doesn't

taste like
> smoke. It does taste like the result of the chemical process

that
> Ed P described a few posts back. It's different and I don't

think that
> I can get the same taste by adding liquid smoke to a meat

product.
> The chemical action that creates the taste of the real thing

just isn't
> going to happen. It may taste good, but not the same.

I don't doubt you're right about that. I'm a newbie, but I can
even tell when liquid smoke is used. It definitely ain't the
same as the real thing.

> This afternoon I was treated to ribs grilled by a young Puerto

Rican
> fellow. He used a three burner gas grill with tinfoil covering

the grate.
> I had to bite my tongue to keep from bad mouthing him in

public. He
> kept messing with the ribs. He kept turning them every few

minutes.
> He finished them with some cheap, sweat BBQ sauce out of a
> bottle that he grilled on until it was just starting to

carmellize. It was
> some of the best ribs I've ever eaten.

I think some people are just naturally good cooks, and that type
of person can do wonders with just about any equipment.
(Fortunately, I happen to be married to such a man <g>. I, OTOH,
am not that gifted, so I need all the help I can get.)

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
news
> Listen to Big Jim. Just a guess, but I bet that Jim has smoked

more butts
> than the rest of us put together. If not, it's close.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to pay close attention.

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> 8-10 butts a day every day for 5 years. Some days more

WOW! Now, THAT'S experience! <g>

Karen C.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 29, 10:59 pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:50:20 -0700, Tutall > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:40:48 -0400, Karen C. wrote:

> I really really like Danny Gaulden's rib rub on butts and picnics as
> well as ribs.http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57

Ahhh, that's right, he's where I got the brown sugar from. He's all
over the original FAQ and recipe list.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" wrote...
>" BOB" wrote...

>> Listen to Big Jim. Just a guess, but I bet that Jim has smoked more
>> butts than the rest of us put together. If not, it's close.
>>
>> BOB
>>

> Bob,
> 8-10 butts a day every day for 5 years. Some days more

I was close, wasn't I?
;-)

BOB

> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Karen C." > wrote in message
>" BOB" > wrote in message
> news
>> Listen to Big Jim. Just a guess, but I bet that Jim has smoked

> more butts
>> than the rest of us put together. If not, it's close.

> Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to pay close attention.
>
> Karen C.

;-)

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue