Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Looking for good hamburger recepie

More than ten years ago I cycled through the states. I remember having an
excellent hamburger once (I was not into bbq or smoking at that time, so it
may have been rubbish, but in my mind it was the best I ever had (or it was
because we where cold and hungry on a wet and windy day))

Here is what I know of the place

It's in Montana on the road from Virginia city to west Yellowstone

I remember passing a lake with dead trees sticking out of the water (due to
a landslide)

The restaurant is made of wooden logs, and is near a river

I think the name was something like "big bear .."

Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor
came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a burger get a
smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I tried liquid smoke,
but it did not taste very good

Adriaan

The Netherlands

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:

> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
> burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey
> flavor came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a
> burger get a smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I
> tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste very good

He might have been using a wood or charcoal fired grill.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 25, 3:18 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> A. Kesteloo wrote:
> > Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
> > burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey
> > flavor came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a
> > burger get a smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I
> > tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste very good

> He might have been using a wood or charcoal fired grill.

Using oak lump mine come out with a nice hint of smoke.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 25, 3:18 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> A. Kesteloo wrote:
>> > Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
>> > burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey
>> > flavor came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a
>> > burger get a smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I
>> > tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste very good

>> He might have been using a wood or charcoal fired grill.
>>

> Using oak lump mine come out with a nice hint of smoke.

IMO, burgers are the only place to use mesquite. Good, smokey taste on the
burgers.

BOB
Save the oak for the steaks or BBQ?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Tutall" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>>
>>> He might have been using a wood or charcoal fired grill.
>>>

>> Using oak lump mine come out with a nice hint of smoke.
>>

> IMO, burgers are the only place to use mesquite. Good, smokey taste
> on the burgers.

Especially since it puts out a good amount of btu compared to other woods.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> More than ten years ago I cycled through the states. I remember
> having an excellent hamburger once (I was not into bbq or smoking at
> that time, so it may have been rubbish, but in my mind it was the
> best I ever had (or it was because we where cold and hungry on a wet
> and windy day))
> Here is what I know of the place
>
> It's in Montana on the road from Virginia city to west Yellowstone
>
> I remember passing a lake with dead trees sticking out of the water
> (due to a landslide)
>
> The restaurant is made of wooden logs, and is near a river
>
> I think the name was something like "big bear .."
>
> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
> burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey
> flavor came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a
> burger get a smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I
> tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste very good
>

> Adriaan
>
> The Netherlands

This is what I like:

77587 South Houston Texas Jalapeño Wrap Hamburger

You create a hamburger patty of a 3/8" thickness, with a hamburger press and
basically just season with creole seasoning and after cooking it you just
garnish with one or two Texas Wraps. (Remove the toothpicks) J

1
Dozen +
Fresh Jalapeño Peppers

1
1.5 lb.
Blue Ribbon Hickory Thick Cut Bacon

1
Pack
(8 oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese

1
Container
(17 oz) Zatarain's Creole Seasoning

Clean the Jalapeño peppers and split in them half, remove seeds, vein and
tops. After cleaning the Jalapeño peppers you should soak them in a
container of water. Be sure to clean Jalapeño wearing gloves, or if using
bare hands, wash them immediately after cleaning. Failure to wash hands
afterwards can cause burning to the skin.

Spread cream cheese in each half, then combined the two Jalapeño halves with
a strip of bacon using a standard wooden toothpick and not with a flat
toothpick. It is good to soak the toothpicks in water for ½ to one hour if
you are going to put the Jalapeño wraps on the gas or charcoal grill. Note:
Using a flat toothpick may not last as long as a standard toothpick when
using on the grill.

Start at top and circle till the full Jalapeño is wrapped. Sometimes 1/2 a
strip will circle a pepper. Then lightly sprinkle creole seasoning on the
outside of the Jalapeño wrap.

Place on the top of the grill or place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake
at 350 till bacon is done, app. 45 minutes to one hour cooking them on the
gas or charcoal grill.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> More than ten years ago I cycled through the states. I remember having an
> excellent hamburger once (I was not into bbq or smoking at that time, so it
> may have been rubbish, but in my mind it was the best I ever had (or it was
> because we where cold and hungry on a wet and windy day))
>
> Here is what I know of the place
>
> It's in Montana on the road from Virginia city to west Yellowstone
>
> I remember passing a lake with dead trees sticking out of the water (due to
> a landslide)
>
> The restaurant is made of wooden logs, and is near a river
>
> I think the name was something like "big bear .."
>
> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
> burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor
> came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a burger get a
> smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I tried liquid smoke,
> but it did not taste very good
>

> Adriaan
>
> The Netherlands

I am going to try smoking burgers one day... I figure I'll put em on at
about 240 smoke em for 30 minutes and if they're done, eat em, if not,
just crank the heat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> A. Kesteloo wrote:

SNIP

>> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, >>made over a grill. The burger tasted "smokey". I'm not >>sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor came from a >>sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a >>burger get a smokey flavor on a grill without adding >>liquid smoke? I tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste >>very good

I think one of the things that make a good grilled burger is the fat
content. When I am making burgers for me and the group, I use the
pumpbuster blend, 80/20, or 85/15 meat to fat. I learned that from an
old q guy here in town that had a great joint for about 30 years.

He also cooked them over mesquite/oak mix, with the fire not too hot
so the meat/fat could absorb the smoke well as he left them on a
little longer than I would have. He made his patties 1/3 lb weight
before they were cooked, and he mixed a little dried onion and black
pepper in the meat before making the patties. After the one and only
flip, he salted the meat.

Those burgers were always excellent. I still do mine that way.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> More than ten years ago I cycled through the states. I remember having an
> excellent hamburger once (I was not into bbq or smoking at that time, so it
> may have been rubbish, but in my mind it was the best I ever had (or it was
> because we where cold and hungry on a wet and windy day))
>
> Here is what I know of the place
>
> It's in Montana on the road from Virginia city to west Yellowstone
>
> I remember passing a lake with dead trees sticking out of the water (due to a
> landslide)
>
> The restaurant is made of wooden logs, and is near a river
>
> I think the name was something like "big bear .."
>
> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The burger
> tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor came from a
> sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a burger get a smokey flavor on a
> grill without adding liquid smoke? I tried liquid smoke, but it did not taste
> very good
>

> Adriaan
>
> The Netherlands

Just a side note.

Many times the "Smokey flavor" comes from the fat in the meat dripping on the
grill and producing smoke. Many restaurants have gas fired grills that allow
the dripping fat to be burned imparting a Smokey flavor to the meat. This
flavor or amount of flavor is in direct proportion to the fat content of the
ground beef ( usually from 7 to 20%) depending on the specifications of the
restaurant.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>>
>> Many times the "Smokey flavor" comes from the fat in the meat dripping on the
>> grill and producing smoke. Many restaurants have gas fired grills that allow
>> the dripping fat to be burned imparting a Smokey flavor to the meat. This
>> flavor or amount of flavor is in direct proportion to the fat content of the
>> ground beef ( usually from 7 to 20%) depending on the specifications of the
>> restaurant.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Yep, and smoke from dripping fat is one of the strongest carcinogens there is.
> Bob-tx

So is breathing........

:-)

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

<snip>

> Many times the "Smokey flavor" comes from the fat in the meat
> dripping on the grill and producing smoke. Many restaurants have
> gas fired grills that allow the dripping fat to be burned
> imparting a Smokey flavor to the meat. This flavor or amount of
> flavor is in direct proportion to the fat content of the ground
> beef ( usually from 7 to 20%) depending on the specifications of
> the restaurant.
>
> Dimitri

Yep, and smoke from dripping fat is one of the strongest carcinogens
there is.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I've had good luck cold smoking my burgers for about 20-40 minutes in my
smoker, then tossing them on the grill. I do the same with steaks, when
time allows.

For seasoning my burgers, I always add a generous amount of dry onion and
Hog's Breath seasoning to my burger before making the patties. Don't use
too lean of burger, otherwise the burgers will tend to fall apart/crumble.
The higher fat helps hold them together better. The Hog's Breath is also
quite tastey as french fries seasoning too!

Damnit, now I'm hungry for a good smokey burger!

Matt

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> More than ten years ago I cycled through the states. I remember having an
> excellent hamburger once (I was not into bbq or smoking at that time, so
> it may have been rubbish, but in my mind it was the best I ever had (or it
> was because we where cold and hungry on a wet and windy day))
>
> Here is what I know of the place
>
> It's in Montana on the road from Virginia city to west Yellowstone
>
> I remember passing a lake with dead trees sticking out of the water (due
> to a landslide)
>
> The restaurant is made of wooden logs, and is near a river
>
> I think the name was something like "big bear .."
>
> Anyway, I remember that they where big burgers, made over a grill. The
> burger tasted "smokey". I'm not sure, but I don't think the smokey flavor
> came from a sauce. So, my question probably is, how does a burger get a
> smokey flavor on a grill without adding liquid smoke? I tried liquid
> smoke, but it did not taste very good
>

> Adriaan
>
> The Netherlands

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 26, 12:26 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Bob" > wrote in message

> > <snip>

> >> Many times the "Smokey flavor" comes from the fat in the meat dripping on the
> >> grill and producing smoke. Many restaurants have gas fired grills that allow
> >> the dripping fat to be burned imparting a Smokey flavor to the meat. This
> >> flavor or amount of flavor is in direct proportion to the fat content of the
> >> ground beef ( usually from 7 to 20%) depending on the specifications of the
> >> restaurant.

> >> Dimitri

> > Yep, and smoke from dripping fat is one of the strongest carcinogens there is.
> > Bob-tx

Wood smoke > Burning grease

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Matt wrote:
> I've had good luck cold smoking my burgers for about 20-40 minutes in my
> smoker, then tossing them on the grill. I do the same with steaks, when
> time allows.

Interesting. I frequently cold smoke steaks prior to
grilling them but never thought of doing it with burgers.
Thanks for the idea!

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>> I've had good luck cold smoking my burgers for about 20-40 minutes in
>> my smoker, then tossing them on the grill. I do the same with steaks,
>> when time allows.

> Interesting. I frequently cold smoke steaks prior to grilling them but
> never thought of doing it with burgers. Thanks for the idea!

Since you're just cold smoking, and not cooking, the burgers, make them
very thin to get more surface area. They can be reformed before grilling.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> I've had good luck cold smoking my burgers for about 20-40 minutes in
>>> my smoker, then tossing them on the grill. I do the same with
>>> steaks, when time allows.

>> Interesting. I frequently cold smoke steaks prior to grilling them but
>> never thought of doing it with burgers. Thanks for the idea!

> Since you're just cold smoking, and not cooking, the burgers, make them
> very thin to get more surface area. They can be reformed before grilling.
>
> Nonny

'nother great suggestion, thanks. I've definitely gotta give
it a try when things slow down a bit around here. That's
liable to be a while though... :-(Y

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
et...

>>> the "Smokey flavor" comes from the fat in the meat

dripping on the grill <<<

Right! I love my Silver B for steaks and etc but it can't beat
my old two burner Charbroil with lava rock for burgers. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:39:58 -0700, Nonnymus >
wrote:

>Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> I've had good luck cold smoking my burgers for about 20-40 minutes in
>>> my smoker, then tossing them on the grill. I do the same with steaks,
>>> when time allows.

>> Interesting. I frequently cold smoke steaks prior to grilling them but
>> never thought of doing it with burgers. Thanks for the idea!

>Since you're just cold smoking, and not cooking, the burgers, make them
>very thin to get more surface area. They can be reformed before grilling.

Hey wait. Ok I have a grill and a smoker and I can grill and I can
smoke, and I've been doing both a long time. But you just went over my
head. I have pre-smoked my burgers and chicken breasts for years,
usually putting them on when I have finished a brisket or something,
then I put them in the freezer and throw them on the grill (Weber gas)
when I want one. So what do you mean "cold smoking"? If I smoke my
burgers and breasts 20-40 minutes to get the smoke flavor I want, they
are always at least partially cooked. Enlighten me on cold smoking
please. I assume that is a temperature range?