Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default New Braunfels El Dorado Grande Smoker

Anyone here use a New Braunfels El Dorado Grande smoker?
I was looking at them at Academy today and liked what I saw
but wanted to get ya'lls opinion.
I have the offset smoker by new braunfels that is $147.00 at
Academy and this one is $279.00 so I am wanting to upgrade
so to speak.
THanks
Kenny
If you are what you eat then I am fast, cheap and easy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kenny wrote:
> Anyone here use a New Braunfels El Dorado Grande smoker?
> I was looking at them at Academy today and liked what I saw
> but wanted to get ya'lls opinion.
> I have the offset smoker by new braunfels that is $147.00 at
> Academy and this one is $279.00 so I am wanting to upgrade

Just my opinion, but I'd spent the money on a Weber Smokey Mountain.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:10:21 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
> wrote:

>kenny wrote:
>> Anyone here use a New Braunfels El Dorado Grande smoker?
>> I was looking at them at Academy today and liked what I saw
>> but wanted to get ya'lls opinion.
>> I have the offset smoker by new braunfels that is $147.00 at
>> Academy and this one is $279.00 so I am wanting to upgrade

>Just my opinion, but I'd spent the money on a Weber Smokey Mountain.

I was looking for something with more grill space.
Thanks for the input tho.
It looks like a really fine smoker but I kinda lean toward
the big and bigger style smokers.
I have lots of room for it and want one that will perform
for cooking hamburgers to smoking butts.
Thanks for the imput.
Kenny

If you are what you eat then I am fast, cheap and easy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kenny wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:10:21 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
> > wrote:
>

>>kenny wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone here use a New Braunfels El Dorado Grande smoker?
>>>I was looking at them at Academy today and liked what I saw
>>>but wanted to get ya'lls opinion.
>>>I have the offset smoker by new braunfels that is $147.00 at
>>>Academy and this one is $279.00 so I am wanting to upgrade

>>Just my opinion, but I'd spent the money on a Weber Smokey Mountain.

> I was looking for something with more grill space.
> Thanks for the input tho.
> It looks like a really fine smoker but I kinda lean toward
> the big and bigger style smokers.
> I have lots of room for it and want one that will perform
> for cooking hamburgers to smoking butts.
> Thanks for the imput.
> Kenny
>
> If you are what you eat then I am fast, cheap and easy.

I really like my Great Outdoors smoker from Walmart (maybe $125). IT is
LP, though, so may not be what you're looking for.

Lowest temp (during summer) I can hold it at is 230-240. Perfect for
smoking ribs. I've done Ribs 3 times, 2 pork roasts and they all turned
outu great. Every time I've just set it and left for 7 hours.
Checking now and then or for the first 3 hours putting new chips in
every hour or so.

On "Hi" setting it reaches about 400.. maybe more. I didn't let it go
that far. so would work good for burgers, even chicken that you
wanted done quickly. If I were to smoke chicken, I'd do it low for 2
hours (so 2 "rounds" of smoke) then turn it up to hi for the last 45
minutes or so.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
. ..
> kenny wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:10:21 -0700, "Dave Bugg"
>> > wrote:

>>>Just my opinion, but I'd spent the money on a Weber Smokey Mountain.

>> I was looking for something with more grill space. Thanks for the input
>> tho.
>> It looks like a really fine smoker but I kinda lean toward
>> the big and bigger style smokers.
>> I have lots of room for it and want one that will perform
>> for cooking hamburgers to smoking butts.
>> Thanks for the imput.
>> Kenny
>>
>> If you are what you eat then I am fast, cheap and easy.

>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> =----

> I really like my Great Outdoors smoker from Walmart (maybe $125). IT is
> LP, though, so may not be what you're looking for.
>
> Lowest temp (during summer) I can hold it at is 230-240. Perfect for
> smoking ribs. I've done Ribs 3 times, 2 pork roasts and they all turned
> outu great. Every time I've just set it and left for 7 hours.
> Checking now and then or for the first 3 hours putting new chips in every
> hour or so.
>
> On "Hi" setting it reaches about 400.. maybe more. I didn't let it go
> that far. so would work good for burgers, even chicken that you
> wanted done quickly. If I were to smoke chicken, I'd do it low for 2
> hours (so 2 "rounds" of smoke) then turn it up to hi for the last 45
> minutes or so.

Do you have the wide GSOM, or the narrow GSOM? Both are available at
Walmart.
I bought the large size, and took it back because it wouldn't smoke at a low
enough temp.
It was too hot. I, too, like the idea of a gas smoker.
TIA,
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> Do you have the wide GSOM, or the narrow GSOM? Both are available at
> Walmart.
> I bought the large size, and took it back because it wouldn't smoke at a low
> enough temp.
> It was too hot. I, too, like the idea of a gas smoker.
> TIA,
> Kent

I think it's the larger one.. it is the more expensive one.

240 is about the lowest I can get it to go on a sunny day in the summer.
I'm sure when it cools down 200 won't be out of the question.

I've read other users having the same issue. Not sure what would cause
that. I guess I got lucky. It's by no means a "cold smoker" but it
works great for ribs, chicken and everything else I've done. And the
temp stays very constant (unless the wood chips start on fire.. lol)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kenny wrote:
> Anyone here use a New Braunfels El Dorado Grande smoker?

No, but I do have the Chargriller Smokin' Pro. It's about $179 from Loewe's.

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

It's an offset, and a pretty big one at that. What I like about it is it has
a height-adjustable charcoal grid in the main cooking chamber if you want to
grill hamburgers for the whole neighborhood, as well as a cooking grate for
the firebox if you want just a little more surface area to cook on. And, if
you turn the charcoal grid in the main chamber upside-down, you have a nifty
built-in baffle that more or less evenly spreads out the heat and smoke from
the firebox for when you want an all-day barbecue session. It also has a
warming shelf that you can actually cook on, so you can put a whole lotta
meat on this sucker all at once. I've started a brisket and two Boston Butts
at 5 a.m., then in the early afternoon put on a whole turkey, a huge pot of
beans, and on the shelf put three racks of babybacks in a rib rack with no
problem, all cooking all at once. I bought the steel plate for the firebox
so I can keep a pot of beans or corn or stew or whatever warm out there,
too, if I want. And the cover was only $20.

Nope, I don't work for Char Griller.

Only downside is, since I bought the Traeger, it's just a whole lotta work
to babysit that charcoal offset all day long. But, my recollection is it
makes Q that the Traeger just can't beat.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"