Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default My First Brisket

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2007 18:06:40 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
> > I looked at XNews, and it does have terrific filtering.
> > However, I just didn't like the user interface that much. I settled
> > on the somewhat similarly-named XanaNews instead, it's able to take
> > care of the cross-posting as I desire.

> Is XanaNews an 'online' reader, or an 'offline' one?

If what you're asking is whether you can download full messages, or
just headers, then "either".

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2007 15:47:51 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
> > Denny Wheeler wrote:

> >> Is XanaNews an 'online' reader, or an 'offline' one?

> > If what you're asking is whether you can download full messages, or
> > just headers, then "either".

> An offline reader, such as Agent, downloads the headers, then when one
> selects which messages are wanted, downloads the full messages, and
> stores them locally.

Yes, it does that.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>>> I have to plead ignorance regarding animal size (and standard brisket
>>> sizes for that mater) - I asked the butcher for a brisket and that's
>>> what
>>> I got. Maybe it was off a yearling - would that maybe also explain it
>>> being very lean through the flesh?

>> Next time ask him for a "packer cut brisket". You might want to Google on
>> it, so ya can have a picture and an explanation, in case he's not
>> familiar
>> with the term. I'm a Sichy kid from da Bronx, and I don't speak Aussie,
>> except for Crikeys, G''day and things not to say to a Sheila! Oh, and put
>> another Barbie on the shrimp. ;-D
>>
>> --
>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>>
>> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! !
>> !
>> ~Semper Fi~

> No such thing as a Packer Cut over here Nick. That was the first thing I
> asked for and got blank stares by all staff on the other side of the
> counter. It's very sad, but this style of cooking is virtually unknown in
> Australia. I know of no other person that does smokey low & slow (other
> than 1 restaurant in the city - it's apparently quite good but is
> considered unique over here - and it's very pricey).
>
> The reason is likely because Brisket isn't something that's eaten over
> here as an un-pickled cut. It is only sold as corned brisket or sold to
> chinese stores, etc. One place I went to said they couldn't sell me a
> brisket because they had an agreement with a Chinese food chain for as
> much brisket as they can get hold of. It is never available in a cryovac
> pack. Any other Aussie reading this - please advise me if I'm wrong and
> supply name and number of the place I can get 'em
>
> I'm basically pushing into an unknown frontier over here as far as home
> cooking is concerned - and I'm loving it!!
>
> Oh, and you speak Aussie just fine by the look of it
>

> --
> Pete R
> Ormiston, QLD, AU

Pete

I got an uncorned brisket earlier this year from Jack Purcell butchers in
Virginia, Brisbane. I ordered it about a week ahead, it was about 5 kilos
from memory and cost about 5 bucks a kilo. No troubles at all. I smoked it
in the covered barbie and thought it came out alright but that was before I
stumbled on this forum and started reading up on the subject. Knowing what
I know it was woefully underdone. Still, in my ignorance at the time, I
thought it tasted alright.

Try Purcells on the web here http://www.jackpurcellmeats.com.au/default.asp
or try these guys too, http://www.biggun.com.au/index.php they've got a
store at Underwood which is a bit closer to you. Any of the big, warehouse
style butchers should be able to see you right.

Good luck

Shane

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
LID says...

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0407/

> I think that nearly 50% *IN 2004* is somewhat irrelevant to 2007.

Or you could have followed the graph a bit, it was fairly
linear.

> But
> I did say "nearly" and "less of a factor". I'd be interested in some
> numbers that are less than 3 years old. Preferably less than one year
> old.
>
> -denny-

Poking around on that site would have got you:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/2007/

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and
WebTV.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shane" > wrote in message
news

> "AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote in message

>>> Next time ask him for a "packer cut brisket". You might want to Google
>>> on
>>> it, so ya can have a picture and an explanation, in case he's not
>>> familiar
>>> with the term. I'm a Sichy kid from da Bronx, and I don't speak Aussie,
>>> except for Crikeys, G''day and things not to say to a Sheila! Oh, and
>>> put
>>> another Barbie on the shrimp. ;-D
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>>>
>>> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks !
>>> ! !
>>> ~Semper Fi~

>> No such thing as a Packer Cut over here Nick. That was the first thing I
>> asked for and got blank stares by all staff on the other side of the
>> counter. It's very sad, but this style of cooking is virtually unknown
>> in Australia. I know of no other person that does smokey low & slow
>> (other than 1 restaurant in the city - it's apparently quite good but is
>> considered unique over here - and it's very pricey).
>>
>> The reason is likely because Brisket isn't something that's eaten over
>> here as an un-pickled cut. It is only sold as corned brisket or sold to
>> chinese stores, etc. One place I went to said they couldn't sell me a
>> brisket because they had an agreement with a Chinese food chain for as
>> much brisket as they can get hold of. It is never available in a cryovac
>> pack. Any other Aussie reading this - please advise me if I'm wrong and
>> supply name and number of the place I can get 'em
>>
>> I'm basically pushing into an unknown frontier over here as far as home
>> cooking is concerned - and I'm loving it!!
>>
>> Oh, and you speak Aussie just fine by the look of it
>>

>> --
>> Pete R
>> Ormiston, QLD, AU

> Pete
>
> I got an uncorned brisket earlier this year from Jack Purcell butchers in
> Virginia, Brisbane. I ordered it about a week ahead, it was about 5 kilos
> from memory and cost about 5 bucks a kilo. No troubles at all. I smoked
> it in the covered barbie and thought it came out alright but that was
> before I stumbled on this forum and started reading up on the subject.
> Knowing what I know it was woefully underdone. Still, in my ignorance at
> the time, I thought it tasted alright.
>
> Try Purcells on the web here
> http://www.jackpurcellmeats.com.au/default.asp or try these guys too,
> http://www.biggun.com.au/index.php they've got a store at Underwood which
> is a bit closer to you. Any of the big, warehouse style butchers should
> be able to see you right.
>
> Good luck
>
> Shane

Thanks Shane. It's good to see I'm not the only person in Brisbane
following this ng.

It was Big Gun at Underwood who refused to sell me a brisket because of
their contract with the Chinese restaurant people. I might have to venture
over the river and take my $$$ to JP's.

Any chance you can remember if it was lean or marbled???

Thanks for the info.

--
Pete R
Ormiston, QLD, AU

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote:
> "Shane" > wrote in message
> >>>>

> Thanks Shane. It's good to see I'm not the only person in Brisbane
> following this ng.
>
> It was Big Gun at Underwood who refused to sell me a brisket because of
> their contract with the Chinese restaurant people. I might have to
> venture over the river and take my $$$ to JP's.
>
> Any chance you can remember if it was lean or marbled???
>
> Thanks for the info.

Good pics of packer cut briskets at:

http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_gu...risket101.html

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"AussieSloth" <aussieslothNOSPAMMERSatyahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> "Shane" > wrote in message
> news

>>> No such thing as a Packer Cut over here Nick. That was the first thing
>>> I asked for and got blank stares by all staff on the other side of the
>>> counter. It's very sad, but this style of cooking is virtually unknown
>>> in Australia. I know of no other person that does smokey low & slow
>>> (other than 1 restaurant in the city - it's apparently quite good but is
>>> considered unique over here - and it's very pricey).
>>>
>>> The reason is likely because Brisket isn't something that's eaten over
>>> here as an un-pickled cut. It is only sold as corned brisket or sold to
>>> chinese stores, etc. One place I went to said they couldn't sell me a
>>> brisket because they had an agreement with a Chinese food chain for as
>>> much brisket as they can get hold of. It is never available in a
>>> cryovac pack. Any other Aussie reading this - please advise me if I'm
>>> wrong and supply name and number of the place I can get 'em
>>>
>>> I'm basically pushing into an unknown frontier over here as far as home
>>> cooking is concerned - and I'm loving it!!
>>>
>>> Oh, and you speak Aussie just fine by the look of it
>>>

>>> --
>>> Pete R
>>> Ormiston, QLD, AU

>> Pete
>>
>> I got an uncorned brisket earlier this year from Jack Purcell butchers in
>> Virginia, Brisbane. I ordered it about a week ahead, it was about 5
>> kilos from memory and cost about 5 bucks a kilo. No troubles at all. I
>> smoked it in the covered barbie and thought it came out alright but that
>> was before I stumbled on this forum and started reading up on the
>> subject. Knowing what I know it was woefully underdone. Still, in my
>> ignorance at the time, I thought it tasted alright.
>>
>> Try Purcells on the web here
>> http://www.jackpurcellmeats.com.au/default.asp or try these guys too,
>> http://www.biggun.com.au/index.php they've got a store at Underwood which
>> is a bit closer to you. Any of the big, warehouse style butchers should
>> be able to see you right.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Shane
>>>

> Thanks Shane. It's good to see I'm not the only person in Brisbane
> following this ng.
>
> It was Big Gun at Underwood who refused to sell me a brisket because of
> their contract with the Chinese restaurant people. I might have to
> venture over the river and take my $$$ to JP's.
>
> Any chance you can remember if it was lean or marbled???
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> --
> Pete R
> Ormiston, QLD, AU

Pete

It was fairly lean from memory. I had specifically asked for one with a
good cap of fat but this was a bit skinny also. Adequate though. From what
I could gather the briskets come in on a certain day, they send them out to
be corned then they come back for sale so I didn't have the opportunity to
pick the one I wanted. I guess if you wanted to push your luck you could
try and be there when the uncorned ones were delivered then go through them
at that stage.

Even though it was fairly lean it still came out fairly moist. I poured a
couple of stubbies of stout into the drip tray along with the leftover rub
and this kept it moist. Tasted good to my uneducated palate anyway.

I had a brain snap when I posted last night and for some reason thought you
were at Ormeau not Ormiston which was why I suggested Pattons at Underwood.
Pattons also have a store at Victoria Point which is closer to you but I
guess you've tried them too. Give Purcells a go. Explain what you want and
what you're going to do with it and you should get close to what you want.
I've always found them pretty obliging. In fairness to them, all I said to
the chick behind the counter was that I wanted "an uncorned brisket with a
good cap of fat" because I didn't know any better. I thought brisket was
brisket. I know better now.

Good luck.

Shane

I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 08:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM