Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default grilled chicken topping

We had lunch a few days ago at a local pub, and I ordered the
'southwestern taquito' that they had on special. It wasn't anything
special, but they served a sauce with it that really caught my eye. It
had a flavor that really held up well to the spicy taquito and also had
a very pleasant consistency. The cook at the place often comes out to
sit and talk to us, so I asked her what was in the special sauce.

She told me that it was nothing more than her standard guacamole, mixed
with about 1/3 home made Ranch dressing. She said that the next time we
came in, that she'd mix up some more for on a grilled chicken breast
sandwich we often order.

Instead of taking up her kind offer, I was fixing to grill up some
skinless chicken breasts that night anyway, so I gave it a try. The
breasts were first cold smoked with Apple, then grilled on the gas
grill. While smoking, I made up a small batch of guacamole (avocado,
garlic, lemon and a bit of onion) and then stirred in some Ranch (dry
mix, made up with buttermilk). The acid in the lemon and buttermilk
seems to stabilize the avocado, and it was still green and good the next
day. I served a scoop of the stuff on the side of the grilled chicken
and all I can say is "Wow."

If you want to do something a tad different for a side or dressing, let
me recommend this. It'd also be a darned good salad dressing for a
grilled chicken salad.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Nonnymus wrote:

> We had lunch a few days ago at a local pub, and I ordered the
> 'southwestern taquito' that they had on special. It wasn't anything
> special, but they served a sauce with it that really caught my eye. It
> had a flavor that really held up well to the spicy taquito and also had
> a very pleasant consistency. The cook at the place often comes out to
> sit and talk to us, so I asked her what was in the special sauce.

I like cold smoking before grilling as well. It's a great
technique. My favorite is dry aged beef, cold smoked, then
grilled hot and fast.

Very easy to do with a Bradley around.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Sorry, I chopped out the wrong section of your post. I meant
to highlight:

Reg wrote:

> Nonnymus wrote:
>
>> We had lunch a few days ago at a local pub, and I ordered the
>> 'southwestern taquito' that they had on special. It wasn't anything
>> special, but they served a sauce with it that really caught my eye.
>> It had a flavor that really held up well to the spicy taquito and also
>> had a very pleasant consistency. The cook at the place often comes
>> out to sit and talk to us, so I asked her what was in the special sauce.

> I like cold smoking before grilling as well. It's a great
> technique. My favorite is dry aged beef, cold smoked, then
> grilled hot and fast.
>
> Very easy to do with a Bradley around.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 18, 1:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> We had lunch a few days ago at a local pub, and I ordered the
> 'southwestern taquito' that they had on special. It wasn't anything
> special, but they served a sauce with it that really caught my eye. It
> had a flavor that really held up well to the spicy taquito and also had
> a very pleasant consistency. The cook at the place often comes out to
> sit and talk to us, so I asked her what was in the special sauce.
>
> She told me that it was nothing more than her standard guacamole, mixed
> with about 1/3 home made Ranch dressing. She said that the next time we
> came in, that she'd mix up some more for on a grilled chicken breast
> sandwich we often order.
>
> Instead of taking up her kind offer, I was fixing to grill up some
> skinless chicken breasts that night anyway, so I gave it a try. The
> breasts were first cold smoked with Apple, then grilled on the gas
> grill. While smoking, I made up a small batch of guacamole (avocado,
> garlic, lemon and a bit of onion) and then stirred in some Ranch (dry
> mix, made up with buttermilk). The acid in the lemon and buttermilk
> seems to stabilize the avocado, and it was still green and good the next
> day. I served a scoop of the stuff on the side of the grilled chicken
> and all I can say is "Wow."
>
> If you want to do something a tad different for a side or dressing, let
> me recommend this. It'd also be a darned good salad dressing for a
> grilled chicken salad.
>
> Nonny
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> You don't stand any taller by
> trying to make others appear shorter.

Nonny, topping sounds nice. Thanks for posting. (I've got 4
avocado's just about ready too.)

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 18, 2:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> We had lunch a few days ago at a local pub, and I ordered the
> 'southwestern taquito' that they had on special. It wasn't anything
> special, but they served a sauce with it that really caught my eye. It
> had a flavor that really held up well to the spicy taquito and also had
> a very pleasant consistency. The cook at the place often comes out to
> sit and talk to us, so I asked her what was in the special sauce.
>
> She told me that it was nothing more than her standard guacamole, mixed
> with about 1/3 home made Ranch dressing. She said that the next time we
> came in, that she'd mix up some more for on a grilled chicken breast
> sandwich we often order.
>
> Instead of taking up her kind offer, I was fixing to grill up some
> skinless chicken breasts that night anyway, so I gave it a try. The
> breasts were first cold smoked with Apple, then grilled on the gas
> grill. While smoking, I made up a small batch of guacamole (avocado,
> garlic, lemon and a bit of onion) and then stirred in some Ranch (dry
> mix, made up with buttermilk). The acid in the lemon and buttermilk
> seems to stabilize the avocado, and it was still green and good the next
> day. I served a scoop of the stuff on the side of the grilled chicken
> and all I can say is "Wow."

Mmmmmmm, that really does sound great. Did the cook use cilantro in
her guacamole?

My wife claims that she hates guac, but I bet she'd try this.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2:21 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> We had lunch a few days ago at a local pub, and I ordered the
>> 'southwestern taquito' that they had on special. It wasn't anything
>> special, but they served a sauce with it that really caught my eye. It
>> had a flavor that really held up well to the spicy taquito and also had
>> a very pleasant consistency. The cook at the place often comes out to
>> sit and talk to us, so I asked her what was in the special sauce.
>>
>> She told me that it was nothing more than her standard guacamole, mixed
>> with about 1/3 home made Ranch dressing. She said that the next time we
>> came in, that she'd mix up some more for on a grilled chicken breast
>> sandwich we often order.
>>
>> Instead of taking up her kind offer, I was fixing to grill up some
>> skinless chicken breasts that night anyway, so I gave it a try. The
>> breasts were first cold smoked with Apple, then grilled on the gas
>> grill. While smoking, I made up a small batch of guacamole (avocado,
>> garlic, lemon and a bit of onion) and then stirred in some Ranch (dry
>> mix, made up with buttermilk). The acid in the lemon and buttermilk
>> seems to stabilize the avocado, and it was still green and good the next
>> day. I served a scoop of the stuff on the side of the grilled chicken
>> and all I can say is "Wow."

> Mmmmmmm, that really does sound great. Did the cook use cilantro in
> her guacamole?
>
> My wife claims that she hates guac, but I bet she'd try this.

Our traditional guacamole here at the house has no cilantro. I have it
growing about 10' from the back door, and could put some in. However, I
don't think that it would be that good. Our guac. is typically just
avocado, crushed garlic, lemon, (maybe a little scraped onion), S&P.
I've occasionally experimented with some finely chopped fresh tomatoes,
but don't thing they add that much. The home made up Ranch dressing is
different, and something we really now enjoy.