Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D D D D is offline

Default Cedar plank salmon, cedar planks from Lowe's?

Is it safe to use cedar planks purchased at places like Lowe's and Home
Depot or should I only use cedar planks sold at "food" stores?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

D D wrote:
> Is it safe to use cedar planks purchased at places like Lowe's and Home
> Depot or should I only use cedar planks sold at "food" stores?

Unless I cut it down myself (or trust who cut it down), I wouldn't trust
any wood that has not been produced as a food-grade quality. You never
know how the wood was stored, treated, packed, shipped, etc. The moment
you burn chemicals that were never designed to be burned, you are
risking your health when you eat the food cooked with it.

Maybe I am paranoid, but those are my thoughts.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm not sure what the OP was referring to but I saw cedar planks,
packaged two to a shrink-wrapped package in the grill supplies section
of Lowe's the other day. If that is what the OP meant, I can't imagine
they are any different than similarly packaged ones purchased anywhere
else. Not talking about the lumber racks here.

In article >, D D
> wrote:

> Is it safe to use cedar planks purchased at places like Lowe's and Home
> Depot or should I only use cedar planks sold at "food" stores?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Certainly the Indians of the Pacific NW didn't have cedar that was
>certified "food grade".

......or treated.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"raymond" > wrote in message

>>Certainly the Indians of the Pacific NW didn't have cedar that was
>>certified "food grade".
>>

> .....or treated.

Why would cedar be treated?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mike wrote:

> "raymond" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Certainly the Indians of the Pacific NW didn't have cedar that was
> > > certified "food grade".
> > >

> > .....or treated.
> >

> Why would cedar be treated?

Cedar shakes and shingles are often treated with a fire retardant. I
don't know if any surface application is routinely applied to cedar
lumber or not. I haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean that they
don't spray something on for temporary purposes, possibly fungicide,
water repellant, insect control, that sort of thing. It wouldn't be
like pressure-treated pine, but more like something for storage
purposes. Then again, cedar is naturally resistant to much of that, so
it might not be done.

It's hard to search for information, because you get lots of hits from
sites that mention both cedar and tradtional treated pine.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Mike wrote:

>> > .....or treated.
>> >

>> Why would cedar be treated?

> Cedar shakes and shingles are often treated with a fire retardant.

All right I could see that happning. I think I remember hearing about that
happning in Kalifornia.
In the P.N.W. we dont go for that kinda stuff . No need to
Heck I make food grade fences and Decks

> don't know if any surface application is routinely applied to cedar
> lumber or not. I haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean that they
> don't spray something on for temporary purposes, possibly fungicide,
> water repellant, insect control, that sort of thing. It wouldn't be
> like pressure-treated pine, but more like something for storage
> purposes. Then again, cedar is naturally resistant to much of that, so
> it might not be done.
>
> It's hard to search for information, because you get lots of hits from
> sites that mention both cedar and tradtional treated pine.

I noticed that

> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> don't know if any surface application is routinely applied to cedar
>> lumber or not. I haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean that they
>> don't spray something on for temporary purposes, possibly fungicide,
>> water repellant, insect control, that sort of thing. It wouldn't be
>> like pressure-treated pine, but more like something for storage
>> purposes. Then again, cedar is naturally resistant to much of that, so
>> it might not be done.
>>
>> It's hard to search for information, because you get lots of hits from
>> sites that mention both cedar and tradtional treated pine.
>>

> I noticed that
>

>> Brian
>>
>> --
>> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
>> won't shut up.
>> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Testing new sig

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mike" > wrote in message

>>> don't know if any surface application is routinely applied to cedar
>>> lumber or not. I haven't heard of any, but that doesn't mean that they
>>> don't spray something on for temporary purposes, possibly fungicide,
>>> water repellant, insect control, that sort of thing. It wouldn't be
>>> like pressure-treated pine, but more like something for storage
>>> purposes. Then again, cedar is naturally resistant to much of that, so
>>> it might not be done.
>>>
>>> It's hard to search for information, because you get lots of hits from
>>> sites that mention both cedar and tradtional treated pine.
>>>

>> I noticed that
>>

>>> Brian
>>>
>>> --
>>> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
>>> won't shut up.
>>> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

> Testing new sig X2

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:09:25 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>"raymond" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Certainly the Indians of the Pacific NW didn't have cedar that was
>>>certified "food grade".
>>>

>> .....or treated.
>>

>Why would cedar be treated?

In parts of the U.S., cedar shakes used for exterior siding and roofs
must be treated with fire retardant. that was true when I lived in
Dallas, Texas. I don't know about Florida, where I live now.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:46:42 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>Testing new sig

Test in alt.test. That's what it's there for.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:46:42 -0700, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>
>>Testing new sig
>>

> Test in alt.test. That's what it's there for.

Fish on

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Mike > wrote:

> I am curious what cedar would be be treated with?

If they are cedar shingles, they migt be treated with a fire retardant.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

D D wrote:
> Is it safe to use cedar planks purchased at places like Lowe's and Home
> Depot or should I only use cedar planks sold at "food" stores?

Alton Brown (Good Eats) did a show about cooking whole fish this week.
In that, he talked about buying cedar boards at a lumber yard, cutting
them up, and using them for planking.

He said that Cedar often is treated with chemicals that would be very
bad for cooking... BUT, if you get the board as a furniture-grade board,
they tend to not be treated, and that is what he uses for his cedar planks!

Hope it helps,

Cedar planks Nonny Barbecue 8 31-03-2010 12:54 AM
cedar planks? Grant Erwin Barbecue 3 19-02-2008 02:33 AM
Jack Daniel's Cedar Plank Salmon International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2005 10:40 PM
Recommendation:Cedar plank salmon Curly Sue General Cooking 18 23-06-2005 03:26 AM