Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Scary thing in market today....

Ok, so it's not BBQing, but had to relate this. I'm in the market, picking
up some sirloin to grill up and do some quick steak sandwiches with, and
there's this guy there looking in the section where the briskets are. He's
looking at everything. I'm one to strike up a conversation with just about
anyone so I say "can't find anything you like?" He says, "can't find what I
might wanna use to do kabobs"

Well, he's looking in the section with brisket, round roasts, beef ribs,
etc.... I tell him I usually try to find good thick top sirloin and use
that. I see a pack, hand it to him, he looks at it and says Thanks! Then
says.... "ya know, the veggies and meat usually get done at different times,
so I'm gonna boil the meat first" I about croaked right there, but, held my
breakfast down...

He stands there a bit and I say, "ya know, since that happens, why don't you
just put all the veggies on skewers by themselves and the meat by itself,
and start the meat first... or if the veggies are done first, put 'em in
some foil to keep warm til the veggies are done." Ok, ok, maybe not true
shish-kabob, but if he's worried about the meat not getting done, and he's
going to boil it instead??

Unreal what some people come up with I guess... *shrug*

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 15, 3:24 pm, "43fan" > wrote:
> Ok, so it's not BBQing, but had to relate this. I'm in the market, picking
> up some sirloin to grill up and do some quick steak sandwiches with, and
> there's this guy there looking in the section where the briskets are. He's
> looking at everything. I'm one to strike up a conversation with just about
> anyone so I say "can't find anything you like?" He says, "can't find what I
> might wanna use to do kabobs"
>
> Well, he's looking in the section with brisket, round roasts, beef ribs,
> etc.... I tell him I usually try to find good thick top sirloin and use
> that. I see a pack, hand it to him, he looks at it and says Thanks! Then
> says.... "ya know, the veggies and meat usually get done at different times,
> so I'm gonna boil the meat first" I about croaked right there, but, held my
> breakfast down...
>
> He stands there a bit and I say, "ya know, since that happens, why don't you
> just put all the veggies on skewers by themselves and the meat by itself,
> and start the meat first... or if the veggies are done first, put 'em in
> some foil to keep warm til the veggies are done." Ok, ok, maybe not true
> shish-kabob, but if he's worried about the meat not getting done, and he's
> going to boil it instead??
>
> Unreal what some people come up with I guess... *shrug*

Actually, I put the meat and vegetables on different skewers (I use
metal skewers), because the meat is done (medium rare) several minutes
before the vegetables. I put the vegetable skewers on for about 4-6
minutes, and then the sirloin skewers for about 3-4 minutes, and both
come off the grill at the same time. I did some just a few nights ago,
and they turned out great. A new grocery store just opened- Beuhler's,
near here, and they had all their Angus beef on sale last week. We got
sirloin and flank steak for only $4.80 per pound!

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Ok, so it's not BBQing, but had to relate this. I'm in the
> market, picking up some sirloin to grill up and do some quick
> steak sandwiches with, and there's this guy there looking in the
> section where the briskets are. He's looking at everything. I'm
> one to strike up a conversation with just about anyone so I say
> "can't find anything you like?" He says, "can't find what I might
> wanna use to do kabobs"
>
> Well, he's looking in the section with brisket, round roasts, beef
> ribs, etc.... I tell him I usually try to find good thick top
> sirloin and use that. I see a pack, hand it to him, he looks at
> it and says Thanks! Then says.... "ya know, the veggies and meat
> usually get done at different times, so I'm gonna boil the meat
> first" I about croaked right there, but, held my breakfast
> down...
>
> He stands there a bit and I say, "ya know, since that happens, why
> don't you just put all the veggies on skewers by themselves and
> the meat by itself, and start the meat first... or if the veggies
> are done first, put 'em in some foil to keep warm til the veggies
> are done." Ok, ok, maybe not true shish-kabob, but if he's
> worried about the meat not getting done, and he's going to boil it
> instead??
>
> Unreal what some people come up with I guess... *shrug*

Some really good ideas there. Thanks
Bob-tx with tongue in cheek