Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default looking for cocoa barbecue rub like they have at DollyLand

Last night on the Food Network, I saw a chef talk about the cocoa powder
barbecue rub he uses at DollyLand. ( Dolly Parton's Amusement Park ) I
think he said it had cocoa powder, cumin, garlic, kosher salt, chili powder
and ? brown sugar.
Anyone have a similar recipe I could try?

thanks

Joan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
> Last night on the Food Network, I saw a chef talk about the cocoa powder
> barbecue rub he uses at DollyLand. ( Dolly Parton's Amusement Park ) I
> think he said it had cocoa powder, cumin, garlic, kosher salt, chili powder
> and ? brown sugar.
> Anyone have a similar recipe I could try?

Sounds like you could make up your own rub recipe and give it
a try on something small. I suspect it's more of a grilling
rub than a BBQ rub, but tastes vary.

As a starting point, I fed "cocoa power rub" to Google and
the second hit was:

http://jessthomson.files.wordpress.c...oaspicerub.pdf

Which contains this rub recipe for grilling pork tenderloins:

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon chili pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Sounds like an easy way to try it out.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. ..

> As a starting point, I fed "cocoa power rub" to Google and
> the second hit was:

I fed "cocoa rub" into the food network search eng and came up
with several hits including two for ribs. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> As a starting point, I fed "cocoa powder rub" to Google and
>> the second hit was:

> I fed "cocoa rub" into the food network search eng and came up
> with several hits including two for ribs. RM~

I'd forgotten about the Food Network search engine, thanks
for reminding me. It's a great source of information/inspiration.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:28:06 -0700, Dana Myers >
wrote:

>Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
>> Last night on the Food Network, I saw a chef talk about the cocoa powder
>> barbecue rub he uses at DollyLand. ( Dolly Parton's Amusement Park ) I
>> think he said it had cocoa powder, cumin, garlic, kosher salt, chili powder
>> and ? brown sugar.
>> Anyone have a similar recipe I could try?

>Sounds like you could make up your own rub recipe and give it
>a try on something small. I suspect it's more of a grilling
>rub than a BBQ rub, but tastes vary.
>
>As a starting point, I fed "cocoa power rub" to Google and
>the second hit was:
>
>http://jessthomson.files.wordpress.c...oaspicerub.pdf
>
>Which contains this rub recipe for grilling pork tenderloins:
>
>1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
>1 teaspoon ground cumin
>1 teaspoon ground ginger
>1 teaspoon chili pepper
>1 teaspoon salt
>2 tablespoons brown sugar
>
>Sounds like an easy way to try it out.
>
>Dana

Add "Dollywood" to "Cocoa Rub" and you get

http://www.countryweekly.com/cooking/23?print=1

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 15, 8:09 am, "Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge"
> wrote:
> Last night on the Food Network, I saw a chef talk about the cocoa powder
> barbecue rub he uses at DollyLand. ( Dolly Parton's Amusement Park ) I
> think he said it had cocoa powder, cumin, garlic, kosher salt, chili powder
> and ? brown sugar.
> Anyone have a similar recipe I could try?
>
> thanks
>
> Joan

WOW, is that rub ever good. DH said it was the best chicken rub he'd
ever had(I thought I got it a little salty). He NEVER raves about
chicken that way. Thank you for sharing the recipe, it will become a
standard here!! Nan in DE.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:57:36 -0700, Olde Hippee >
wrote:

>WOW, is that rub ever good. DH said it was the best chicken rub he'd
>ever had(I thought I got it a little salty). He NEVER raves about
>chicken that way. Thank you for sharing the recipe, it will become a
>standard here!! Nan in DE.

Do you mind sharing the recipe that you used?

Thanks

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 15, 7:09 am, "Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge"
> wrote:
> Last night on the Food Network, I saw a chef talk about the cocoa powder
> barbecue rub he uses at DollyLand. ( Dolly Parton's Amusement Park ) I
> think he said it had cocoa powder, cumin, garlic, kosher salt, chili powder
> and ? brown sugar.
> Anyone have a similar recipe I could try?
>
> thanks
>
> Joan

Joan:
Not exactly Partonesque but I've used this culled from Steven
Raichlens site for several months now. Very authentic. Now, a
permanent part of my collection.

Pierre

"Michoacán Mole Rub

Chiles and chocolate are considered odd bedfellows by some Americans.
But this rub, inspired by a traditional mole recipe from the Mexican
state of Michoacán, will convince you of the culinary logic of the
combination.

Makes about 1/2 cup

1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon good quality cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 tablespoons pure chile powder
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of ground clove
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Transfer to
a jar, cover, and store away from heat and light. The rub should keep
for up to six months."