Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork Roast - Smoking

I recently "split a pig" with a neighbor and now I have a ton of chops,
bacon, ham steaks and what is labled "pork roast". I have no idea where
the roast is from on the pig, but they are 3-4 pounds.

I've done ribs on my smoker (great outdoors gas model from Walmart) with
excellent results. I cook between 225 and 250 for about 7 hours and
they're awesome.

I want to cook a roast now, but am curious as to temps, time, wood (I
normally use apple for my ribs), etc. So I can sort of plan things out.
Also, should a roast be dry rubbed? (I normally use salt, pepper,
paprika, onion powder and mustard for my rib rub)

I have an external temp monitor that I can stick in the meat and set an
alarm. Actually, it is a Holland Grill model and I'm waiting for a
replacement probe since it quit working after a couple uses (they're
sending an updated replacement free).

Thanks!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
. ..
>I recently "split a pig" with a neighbor and now I have a ton of chops,
>bacon, ham steaks and what is labled "pork roast". I have no idea where
>the roast is from on the pig, but they are 3-4 pounds.
>
> I've done ribs on my smoker (great outdoors gas model from Walmart) with
> excellent results. I cook between 225 and 250 for about 7 hours and
> they're awesome.
>
> I want to cook a roast now, but am curious as to temps, time, wood (I
> normally use apple for my ribs), etc. So I can sort of plan things out.
> Also, should a roast be dry rubbed? (I normally use salt, pepper,
> paprika, onion powder and mustard for my rib rub)

It would help to know the cut of the roast. hams (rear leg), loins,
tenderloins are very tender while the picnic and butt (fore leg) are tougher
and are good for the low and slow cooking.

There is no reason to cook the more tender cuts at very low temperature, A
loin roast, bone in, is good at 150, the boneless loin I take of at 140, the
tenderloin at 130. The others I take to about 185. Given the difference,
find out what you have before you cook it.

Yes, it can be rubbed with your favorites. Rosemary is just made for pork,
as is garlic. If you want an Italian flair, go with oregano and basil also.

Any hardwood is good. Apple, hickory, cherry work well.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bradley V. Stone wrote:

> I recently "split a pig" with a neighbor and now I have a ton of
> chops, bacon, ham steaks and what is labled "pork roast". I have no
> idea where the roast is from on the pig, but they are 3-4 pounds.

I'd guess that it's a sirloin roast. I assume there are no visible rib
bones.

> I've done ribs on my smoker (great outdoors gas model from Walmart)
> with excellent results. I cook between 225 and 250 for about 7 hours
> and they're awesome.
>
> I want to cook a roast now, but am curious as to temps, time, wood (I
> normally use apple for my ribs), etc. So I can sort of plan things
> out. Also, should a roast be dry rubbed? (I normally use salt,
> pepper, paprika, onion powder and mustard for my rib rub)

If it's a rib or sirloin roast, then I would normally "smoke roast" it.
That is, go at a higher temp, for a relatively short time, until the
center in in the 140-150F range.

Of course, if it's a picnic or butt, then a much different approach is
called for.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I recently "split a pig" with a neighbor and now I have a ton of
>> chops, bacon, ham steaks and what is labled "pork roast". I have no
>> idea where the roast is from on the pig, but they are 3-4 pounds.
>>
>> I've done ribs on my smoker (great outdoors gas model from Walmart)
>> with excellent results. I cook between 225 and 250 for about 7
>> hours and they're awesome.
>>
>> I want to cook a roast now, but am curious as to temps, time, wood (I
>> normally use apple for my ribs), etc. So I can sort of plan things
>> out. Also, should a roast be dry rubbed? (I normally use salt,
>> pepper, paprika, onion powder and mustard for my rib rub)

> It would help to know the cut of the roast. hams (rear leg), loins,
> tenderloins are very tender while the picnic and butt (fore leg) are
> tougher and are good for the low and slow cooking.
>
> There is no reason to cook the more tender cuts at very low
> temperature, A loin roast, bone in, is good at 150, the boneless
> loin I take of at 140, the tenderloin at 130. The others I take to
> about 185. Given the difference, find out what you have before you
> cook it.
> Yes, it can be rubbed with your favorites. Rosemary is just made
> for pork, as is garlic. If you want an Italian flair, go with
> oregano and basil also.
> Any hardwood is good. Apple, hickory, cherry work well.

Listen to Edwin.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> It would help to know the cut of the roast. hams (rear leg), loins,
> tenderloins are very tender while the picnic and butt (fore leg) are tougher
> and are good for the low and slow cooking.

Ya, thats the problem. Even the "spare ribs" we got were wrapped in a
package that looked like an even smaller roast. I buy spare ribs at
Sams and they are HUGE... this looks like a small wrapped up piece of
ground pork or something.. can't wait to thaw one to see what's there.
Maybe it's a rib roast?

anyhow, the cut is most likely a sirloin roast. I love rosemary (use it
on chicken all the time)... never thought about trying it on pork. Will do.

Any ideas on a rough ballpark time it will take around 275-300? Is
there a chart somewhere showing temps/times depending on the weight of
meat? Maybe that's more what I'm looking for. I'd hate to throw it on
expecting 4 hours and it takes 8.

Also, you mention two temps depending on the cut of meat... should I
stick with 190 as I doubt I'll ever find out what cut it really is...
could be anything as with 1/2 a pig I got like 10 roasts. And 4-5
packages of the mysterious "spare ribs".

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message

> Any ideas on a rough ballpark time it will take around 275-300? Is there
> a chart somewhere showing temps/times depending on the weight of meat?
> Maybe that's more what I'm looking for. I'd hate to throw it on expecting
> 4 hours and it takes 8.

Depending on the size, I'd guess at 3 hours at 325 so maybe 3.5 to 4 at 275.

> Also, you mention two temps depending on the cut of meat... should I
> stick with 190 as I doubt I'll ever find out what cut it really is...
> could be anything as with 1/2 a pig I got like 10 roasts. And 4-5
> packages of the mysterious "spare ribs".

If you go to 190 and it should have been less, you can't go back and it may
be very dry. If you go to 150 to 160, you can always heat it a bit more. A
sirloin roast sounds closer to a 160 cut. Not enough fat for higher.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Bradley V. Stone" > wrote in message
>
>>Any ideas on a rough ballpark time it will take around 275-300? Is there
>>a chart somewhere showing temps/times depending on the weight of meat?
>>Maybe that's more what I'm looking for. I'd hate to throw it on expecting
>>4 hours and it takes 8.

> Depending on the size, I'd guess at 3 hours at 325 so maybe 3.5 to 4 at 275.
>

>>Also, you mention two temps depending on the cut of meat... should I
>>stick with 190 as I doubt I'll ever find out what cut it really is...
>>could be anything as with 1/2 a pig I got like 10 roasts. And 4-5
>>packages of the mysterious "spare ribs".

> If you go to 190 and it should have been less, you can't go back and it may
> be very dry. If you go to 150 to 160, you can always heat it a bit more. A
> sirloin roast sounds closer to a 160 cut. Not enough fat for higher.

Thanks! I'll inspect it when I open the package.. maybe the amount of
marble will lend some help as well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

As a side note, would it do any good to wrap the roast in bacon? I've
seen in done before, but not sure if it really helps the flavor/moisture
at all. And I can see it actually hindering the making of the "crust"
that would form on the outside.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bradley V. Stone wrote:
> As a side note, would it do any good to wrap the roast in bacon?

When we cook bacon, I save the drippings in a Corning mug with lid in
the refrigerator. When doing a pork roast, I'll heat the mug until the
fat is Crisco-like, and remove an appropriate amount. I then add in my
dry rub and just a little French's yellow mustard. . . then smear it
liberally onto the butt or shoulder before smoke roasting.

It's my recollection that some French-type cooks even have access to
pork/beef fat that's been run though a special cutter to create a
web-like wrap that does about the same thing for veal and other
potentially "dry" meat.
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> Bradley V. Stone wrote:
>> As a side note, would it do any good to wrap the roast in bacon?

> When we cook bacon, I save the drippings in a Corning mug with lid in the
> refrigerator. When doing a pork roast, I'll heat the mug until the fat is
> Crisco-like, and remove an appropriate amount. I then add in my dry rub
> and just a little French's yellow mustard. . . then smear it liberally
> onto the butt or shoulder before smoke roasting.
>
> It's my recollection that some French-type cooks even have access to
> pork/beef fat that's been run though a special cutter to create a web-like
> wrap that does about the same thing for veal and other potentially "dry"
> meat.
> --

About 2 brisket's ago... I tried something. Worked fairly decent, but
didn't have time to do it again this year. Got some good fat from the
butcher(beef fat) and cooked it over low heat on the stove til I got a lot
of "juice". Then I put it in the fridge and let it set up. Then, right
before putting the brisket in, I filled up the injector with it and injected
it into the flat portion of the brisket. I have to say that that time was
the most moist the flat has ever been.

Thing is, I figured I shouldn't have to go to all that trouble, other people
don't and their brisket isn't dry, so I must be doing something else wrong.
I think it's actually cooking it too long...