Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Blue cheese crust for grilled steaks

Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
to consider for the do it yerselffer.

1 pound good quality blue cheese
½ pound cream cheese
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
¼ cup parley, chopped
3 cloves roasted garlic
2 tsp. black pepper
3-5 splashes Tabasco

Combine all ingredients until well bound. After steaks have rested,
spread over top of steaks. Place steaks under preheated broiler and
broil for 3-4 minutes or until crust is golden brown around edges.

Recipe by Chef Peter Martin.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:
> Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
> steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
> to consider for the do it yerselffer.

Why is the reason "most steakhouses" are offering these crusts? Is it
because their beef is tasteless? The last thing I want on a fine steak
is some cream cheese based crust. Break out the bagels and jam.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 8, 1:11 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Pierre wrote:
> > Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
> > steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
> > to consider for the do it yerselffer.

> Why is the reason "most steakhouses" are offering these crusts? Is it
> because their beef is tasteless? The last thing I want on a fine steak
> is some cream cheese based crust. Break out the bagels and jam.

Dude,
The reason is, that these crusts can add flavor and dimension to
steaks. They are popular and obviously a profit enhancer too. (Meat
with, grease, cheese, fat and salt can go a long way.) BTW it's the
blue cheese and the spices that appear to carry the crusts flavor
here, not the cream cheese.

Enjoy your bagel.
Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> Pierre wrote:
>> Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
>> steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
>> to consider for the do it yerselffer.

> Why is the reason "most steakhouses" are offering these crusts? Is it
> because their beef is tasteless? The last thing I want on a fine steak
> is some cream cheese based crust. Break out the bagels and jam.

I guess that taste varies. We've been to a place that charges extra
money to blacken a great slice of prime rib. They do the bloodiest
center cut and then sprinkle on seasoning and toss it into a very hot
frying pan. I tasted it and while it's interesting, it's not for me.

If I want to do a little something extra when cooking a steak, I just
melt up a little butter and add in Tarragon. When cool and solidified,
I use a melon scoop to put 2-3 balls on the steak or by the side.

It might be fun to try that with bleu cheese and butter, and if I do,
I'll report back.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:
> On Jul 8, 1:11 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
>> Pierre wrote:
>>> Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
>>> steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
>>> to consider for the do it yerselffer.

>> Why is the reason "most steakhouses" are offering these crusts? Is it
>> because their beef is tasteless? The last thing I want on a fine steak
>> is some cream cheese based crust. Break out the bagels and jam.

> Dude,
> The reason is, that these crusts can add flavor and dimension to
> steaks. They are popular and obviously a profit enhancer too. (Meat
> with, grease, cheese, fat and salt can go a long way.) BTW it's the
> blue cheese and the spices that appear to carry the crusts flavor
> here, not the cream cheese.
>
> Enjoy your bagel.
> Pierre

You mentioned 3 different flavors of these steak dressings. Any "chef"
that feels that he must cover up one of the most delicious flavors in
nature certainly isn't inspired enough to reinvent each steak dressing
so it is more likely that your "chef" only switches one ingredient for
any given flavor which makes it a cream cheese based product in my book.

If you ever visit the beef walk-in at a really fine steak house you will
notice that the temperature is set just for the beef where you will find
no dairy, no fish, no poultry, only beef. These restaurants live and die
by the flavor of their beef and can't afford odor contamination from any
source let alone some greasy burger topping.

If some paper-hatted chef urinated on his beef I'm sure some people
would call it delicious. I think this post was way off topic and an
insult to those who worship dead cow.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> Sonoran Dude wrote:
>> Pierre wrote:
>>> Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
>>> steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
>>> to consider for the do it yerselffer.

>> Why is the reason "most steakhouses" are offering these crusts? Is it
>> because their beef is tasteless? The last thing I want on a fine steak
>> is some cream cheese based crust. Break out the bagels and jam.
>>

> I guess that taste varies. We've been to a place that charges extra
> money to blacken a great slice of prime rib. They do the bloodiest
> center cut and then sprinkle on seasoning and toss it into a very hot
> frying pan. I tasted it and while it's interesting, it's not for me.
>
> If I want to do a little something extra when cooking a steak, I just
> melt up a little butter and add in Tarragon. When cool and solidified,
> I use a melon scoop to put 2-3 balls on the steak or by the side.
>
> It might be fun to try that with bleu cheese and butter, and if I do,
> I'll report back.

Having a condiment on the side is fine. I think the real reason you
smother a steak like this from the kitchen is so they can buy cheaper
frozen foreign beef cuts and sell them at top dollar.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 8, 9:17 am, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> Pierre wrote:

Jeeze, why act personally offended that someone wants a change of pace
and not eat the exact same thing each and every time?

Perspective please.

Pierre, thanks for sharing. I'm not gonna try this one, but I bet
you've shared a good one in the past or will again in the future.
Thank you again.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 06:41:36 -0700, Pierre wrote:
>
> > Ran into this, will try next week and report results. It seems most
> > steakhouses are offering crusts of parmesan, horseradish; here's one
> > to consider for the do it yerselffer.

> I'm sorry (why?), but blue cheese has no place on good beef. Or
> even ground beef. Not to mention that wet, ripened cheeses
> should never be cooked, IMO.

Steve. Next time you pick-up some of those NZ greenlips, toss a few under
your broiler/grill with some crumbled blue cheese in the half shell with
some fried onions and garlic, plus some breadcrumbs.

Makes for a great combo.

Graeme