Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ray Ray is offline

Default Live crabs on the grill?

Does anyone know of any techniques to cook live crabs on a grill? I read
something about using a damp burlap sack and steaming them. Just curious if
that would work.

Thanks

--

Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

>Does anyone know of any techniques to cook live crabs on a grill? I read
>something about using a damp burlap sack and steaming them. Just curious if
>that would work.

Sure, why not?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:14:20 -0700, Abe > wrote:

>>Does anyone know of any techniques to cook live crabs on a grill? I read
>>something about using a damp burlap sack and steaming them. Just curious if
>>that would work.

>Sure, why not?

Nope, it wouldn't work: the burlap would dry out and catch fire.
That's not good eats.

A better bet would be to put the styrofoam container you used to bring
the crabs home in -- and you did do that, right? -- directly on the
grill. Put some moistened newspaper in there to keep it from melting
and to provide the liquid for the steam. Don't let the grill get too
hot.

For a real treat, moisten the newpaper with some of that lemon juice
that comes in the green bottles.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Radar" > wrote in message

> A better bet would be to put the styrofoam container you used to bring
> the crabs home in -- and you did do that, right? -- directly on the
> grill. Put some moistened newspaper in there to keep it from melting
> and to provide the liquid for the steam. Don't let the grill get too
> hot.

You are kidding right? The foam melts at 190 degrees. It is not made to be
on a fire.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ray" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of any techniques to cook live crabs on a grill? I read
> something about using a damp burlap sack and steaming them. Just curious
> if that would work.

You can freeze the crab to numb it, then chop it up and clean it and grill.
I prefer to steam live crabs. Having steamed many crabs over the years I
wouldn't grill. I don't think you gain
anything by putting it on the grill. I buy live crab and steam it. Then
remove the outer shell and the viscera, and then eat the crab meat. You can
buy a 32 cm steamer in an Asian supermarket for about $25. Use skeleton to
make crab stock and use the leftover meat to make crab newberg with the crab
stock.
Boiling the crab wastes the use of the remains for stock and it dilutes the
taste of the crab.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ray wrote:
> Does anyone know of any techniques to cook live crabs on a grill? I read
> something about using a damp burlap sack and steaming them. Just curious if
> that would work.
>

> Thanks

Ray,
I have parboiled/steamed first, then clean, then grill with a rub or butter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Frank Mancuso wrote:

> I have parboiled/steamed first, then clean, then grill with a rub or
> butter.

This if OT for a barbecue newsgroup, but since it makes a very decent
accompaniment, you might consider it. At least the major grocery
chains, such as Albertson's, Smith's etc., now regularly feature frozen
King Crab legs in the meat section. I'm sure that the price varies
greatly upon the part of the country, but here in Las Vegas we see them
on sale for $10/pound. Many are identified as being "wild" Russian
catch. Depending on how picked over they are, you can find some really
huge ones without much of a knob remaining where they were attached to
the body.

I'll get several and let them finish thawing in the kitchen sink. I'll
then split them and extract the meat. Usually, it comes out completely
intact right down to the toe. This is then rinsed well, towel dried and
vacuum bagged in double portion sizes.

Something Mrs. Nonny really enjoys is for me to make her a side of
Zataran's Red Beans and Rice. I make it following the box directions,
but just about ten minutes or so before it's done, I toss in a double
serving of the king crab. In most cases a single serving, about 4
ounces, is just one of the larger joints. The heat of the simmering red
beans and rice is just enough in about ten minutes to thaw and heat the
crab meat and it adds a little flavor. When serving it, I ladle out a
serving on the plate, adding one of the huge pieces of crab meat on top-
almost like a garnish.

It's kinda a show off thing for company, but is so simple that it's
almost embarrasing. I've found it goes great with a pile of pulled
pork, half rack of ribs or a chicken breast, and nobody complains about
oddity of crab mixing with pork or chicken.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:07:51 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 20:06:06 -0700, Radar wrote:
>
>> A better bet would be to put the styrofoam container you used to bring
>> the crabs home in -- and you did do that, right? -- directly on the
>> grill. Put some moistened newspaper in there to keep it from melting...

>This is either a troll or an extremely stupid person.
>
>-sw

Is a sense of humor not an option?
Since it's obviously not something anyone with any experience at all
with grilling would do, it would seem that it was said
tongue-in-cheek.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad faced a
revolt Friday over gas rationing. The country
is the second-biggest oil producer in the world,
but they can't make enough gas for their citizens.
You can always tell when Jimmy Carter is advising
a dictator.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 09:53:45 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 07:38:05 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 08:07:51 -0500, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>>>This is either a troll or an extremely stupid person.

>> Is a sense of humor not an option?

>I don't know. We see some pretty stupid people on Usenet. And
>if if you have to wonder, maybe it wasn't all that funny.
>
>-sw

Well, you'll get no argument from me. I am, in fact, either a troll or
an extremely stupid person, or possibly both.

All the best,
Radar

mud crabs pete Sushi 1 18-10-2007 05:00 PM
live crabs pete Sushi 1 18-10-2007 03:05 AM
TN: '05 CRB cab, plus two mummy wines (they live, they live!) DaleW Wine 0 28-10-2006 05:44 PM
What goes with crabs [email protected] General Cooking 51 04-09-2006 07:46 PM
What to do with live blue crabs ? AL General Cooking 11 06-11-2005 08:49 PM