Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket Technique

Nonnymus wrote:

> ..... When
> we do a standing rib roast, everyone knows that I get first pick of
> the bones.

Heck, just go grab a package of beef ribs. That's all the prime rib bones
are. And it'll be cheaper than the whole roast to boot.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Okay guys, here goes:

Last night 8 pm placed untrimmed packer cut brisket fat side down on
grill of cooking chamber in off-set smoker (I have one of those cheapy
"Char-whatever" units you can buy for about a hundred bucks at Home
Depot).

Smoked fat side down over small fire made from hardwood for about 45
minutes as fire began to die down so flipped it over and cooked other
side about 15 minutes. The fat side was nicely brown and not burned at
all.

Then coated brisket with Wishbone Italian Dressing and again placed in
cooking chamber about 9 p.m. Moved remaining fire from cooking chamber
to fire-box and replenished fire at fire-box.

Cooked brisket fat side up from 9 pm last night to 12:30 pm. on July
4th, little over 15 hours, with temps at the hood thermometer from 200
to 300 degrees, but averaging around 235.

I used some leftover oak/mesquite/hickory that was "old and
termitey" (let him who is without sin here cast the first stone).

Took brisket off at 12:30 p.m. when it reached internal temperature of
about 180 degrees and tightly foil wrapped it and put in kitchen.

Kept wrapped for about an hour while we made the "fixings" to go with
the barbecue.

Results:

We only cut the point, but I was very happy with the tenderness and
texture. Nearly all of the fat was "rended" out of the point, leaving
moist, tender hunks of "falling apart at the fingers" barbecue (you
guys who eat barbecue with your fingers know what I am talking of
here

The bark was nice and crunchy too. My only disappointment was the
taste of the bark, which was slightly bitter, and Ed's point above is
duly noted. Another cause may also have been some of the wormy, rotten
wood I used.

In any event, will try this technique again as overall I was very
happy with this brisket and the superior quality of the point. Will
sample some of the flat tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your feedback,

Low-N-Slow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

low-n-slow wrote:

> The bark was nice and crunchy too. My only disappointment was the
> taste of the bark, which was slightly bitter, and Ed's point above is
> duly noted. Another cause may also have been some of the wormy, rotten
> wood I used.

I'd attribute the bitterness to using wood instead of coals or
charcoal. When I was smoking butts and ribs in my laid up pit, I'd burn
my wood chunks outside, transferring just the coals to the pit. IMHO,
that burns off the creosote and other undesirable flavors, leaving a
much sweeter wood flavor. The Bradley electric smoker does this as
well, but by keeping the wood temperature under its combustion point.

When folks burn wood chunks in a gas grill or add them to a burn for
more flavor, it's my belief that while they still give off the creosote,
that the amount and duration is minor and thus it works for small,
brief, batches. However, when you do a long "low and slow" smoke, it
adds up and you can taste it. I still use dry wood chips in foil for on
the grill, but would either go to charcoal or preburn for a longer time.

Of course, it could have been the burning termites, but I doubt it.
<Grin> Back when I smoked cigars, I'd occasionally get one with worms.
The worms were, in fact, little beetles about the size of a match
head. When I'd be puffing away and the fire would reach one, it'd pop
and I'd get a charcoal-flavored puff of tobacco smoke. The smoke from
the beetles wasn't bitter, but did somehow make me think of liquid
smoke. <grin>

--
---Nonnymus---
You don?t stand any taller by

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> When folks burn wood chunks in a gas grill or add them to a burn for
> more flavor, it's my belief that while they still give off the
> creosote, that the amount and duration is minor and thus it works for
> small, brief, batches.

Any creosote is too much. Over time, creosote will build up in the smoker
and that ain't good at all.

Stick with well-seasoned, dry wood for smoking.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> low-n-slow wrote:
>

>> The bark was nice and crunchy too. My only disappointment was the
>> taste of the bark, which was slightly bitter, and Ed's point above is
>> duly noted. Another cause may also have been some of the wormy, rotten
>> wood I used.
>>

> I'd attribute the bitterness to using wood instead of coals or
> charcoal. When I was smoking butts and ribs in my laid up pit, I'd burn
> my wood chunks outside, transferring just the coals to the pit. IMHO,
> that burns off the creosote and other undesirable flavors, leaving a
> much sweeter wood flavor.

Wood is OK as long as the fire is hot. Keeping a low cooking temperature
often causes the fire to be less than ideal. Traditional North Carolina
style barbecue is always made with burning coals for the reasons you
describe.

Most of us have experienced the off taste once and that was a good incentive
to correct the problem in the future.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> I'm adding nothing new by reiterating my June 16th brisket cook. It does
> add to the credence though of the premise that good bbq brisket can
> be made under 20 hours using temps higher then a hot date. It was a
> 12.2# packer cut. I slathered it with CYM and then dusted liberally with
> Bayou Blast. It cooked at a nominal 270° for 11 hours. It was a little
> overdone at 200°F internal, but it's good brisket nevertheless. Lest
> anyone should ask, it is not spicy or garlicky and does not taste of
> mustard. The bark itself is quite tasty. My creosote days in 2003 are
> a distant memory. For anybody that cares, that 12.2# yielded 6.5#
> after resting.

Brick, Ed, Dave- I've just finished up a great butt, and am thinking
about doing a brisket. I've not gone shopping for the meat yet, but
suspect I'll end up with something in the 10# range. If you don't
remember, my smoker is a Bradley that I've modified with a digital
differential thermostat. For my first attempt, I'm gonna play like it
was a butt, but with a higher internal temperature. Right now, I'm
thinking about sticking it on around 8:00p with an initial hood
temperature of 240f and a target meat temperature of 190f. That means
the ramp decreasing the hood temp with start at 165f and will bring the
hood temperature down to 190f as the meat cooks. That way, the hood
will be at 240f as the collagen breaks down and that should give it a
good crust. I'll report on the outcome.

Now, Brick, you mention CYM and Bayou Blast. What is CYM? I don't have
any Bayou Blast, but think I'll just try it with some EVOO, Salt, Pepper
and (maybe) a little bit of the rib rub I make up. Any suggestions or
thoughts before I begin this noble experiment? What would it be like
if I'd substitute bacon fat for the EVOO?

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> For my first attempt, I'm gonna play like it was a butt, but with a
> higher internal temperature. Right now, I'm thinking about sticking it on
> around 8:00p with an initial hood temperature of 240f and a target meat
> temperature of 190f. That means the ramp decreasing the hood temp with
> start at 165f and will bring the hood temperature down to 190f as the meat
> cooks. That way, the hood will be at 240f as the collagen breaks down and
> that should give it a good crust. I'll report on the outcome.
>
> Now, Brick, you mention CYM and Bayou Blast. What is CYM? I don't have
> any Bayou Blast, but think I'll just try it with some EVOO, Salt, Pepper
> and (maybe) a little bit of the rib rub I make up. Any suggestions or
> thoughts before I begin this noble experiment? What would it be like if
> I'd substitute bacon fat for the EVOO?

Glad it worked well for you.

CYM is cheap yellow mustard. Rub the meat with it to help the rub stick and
the mustard taste is not noticed at all.

As for brisket rubs, whatever you happen to like. I like lots of black
pepper in the mix. I don't see a need for bacon fat as the brisket will have
plenty of fat of its own to keep things moist. Trim it down to about 1/4"
on the top.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> CYM is cheap yellow mustard. Rub the meat with it to help the rub stick and
> the mustard taste is not noticed at all.

I use it all the time, but just call it prepared mustard. I get it at
Sam's in the quart sized containers. Wow- I've learned a new acronym-
thanks.

> As for brisket rubs, whatever you happen to like. I like lots of black
> pepper in the mix. I don't see a need for bacon fat as the brisket will have
> plenty of fat of its own to keep things moist. Trim it down to about 1/4"
> on the top.

Well, the brisket is on and I set the smoke for 4 hours, using the
Bradley "special blend," since I was out of hickory. I'll check back
tomorrow either carrying my shield of on it. Thanks to all for the
recipes and suggestions.

One question- can you do a corned beef brisket in a smoker?

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Jul-2007, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
> > I'm adding nothing new by reiterating my June 16th brisket cook. It does
> > add to the credence though of the premise that good bbq brisket can
> > be made under 20 hours using temps higher then a hot date. It was a
> > 12.2# packer cut. I slathered it with CYM and then dusted liberally with
> > Bayou Blast. It cooked at a nominal 270° for 11 hours. It was a little
> > overdone at 200°F internal, but it's good brisket nevertheless. Lest
> > anyone should ask, it is not spicy or garlicky and does not taste of
> > mustard. The bark itself is quite tasty. My creosote days in 2003 are
> > a distant memory. For anybody that cares, that 12.2# yielded 6.5#
> > after resting.
> >

> Brick, Ed, Dave- I've just finished up a great butt, and am thinking
> about doing a brisket. I've not gone shopping for the meat yet, but
> suspect I'll end up with something in the 10# range. If you don't
> remember, my smoker is a Bradley that I've modified with a digital
> differential thermostat. For my first attempt, I'm gonna play like it
> was a butt, but with a higher internal temperature. Right now, I'm
> thinking about sticking it on around 8:00p with an initial hood
> temperature of 240f and a target meat temperature of 190f. That means
> the ramp decreasing the hood temp with start at 165f and will bring the
> hood temperature down to 190f as the meat cooks. That way, the hood
> will be at 240f as the collagen breaks down and that should give it a
> good crust. I'll report on the outcome.
>
> Now, Brick, you mention CYM and Bayou Blast. What is CYM? I don't have
> any Bayou Blast, but think I'll just try it with some EVOO, Salt, Pepper
> and (maybe) a little bit of the rib rub I make up. Any suggestions or
> thoughts before I begin this noble experiment? What would it be like
> if I'd substitute bacon fat for the EVOO?
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

CYM is "Cheap Yellow Mustard". Bayou Blast AKA Emeril's Essence
is a blend touted by Emeril Lagasse and can be found on Food Network.
If you Google "Bayou Blast", the very first hit is "Emeril's Essence". Don't
bother to Google "CYM", you'll get 2,600,000 hits. My advice would be
to not get cute with seasonings before you have achieved several
successful cooks using your tried and true spices. There is always the
question, "Do you want to taste meat? Or, do you just want a vehicle
to try out your spices to see how they taste?"

I pulled some of my smoked chicken out of the freezer yesterday for
lunch. There's a lot of ways to prepare chicken, but smoke roasted
chicken is unique. As we were eating lunch I thought back to the first
time I ever had smoke roasted chicken. It was after I discovered AFB
and ABF and it was chicken I cooked myself in my gas fired bullet
smoker. I've had a lot of chicken since then. Not all of it smoked,
but a lot of it was good. Rotisserie chicken is right up there with
smoke roasted, but it's not a substitute for the real thing. Smoke
cooked in a pit stands by itself.
--
Brick(Enforce the law first; change it later if necessary)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>

>> CYM is cheap yellow mustard. Rub the meat with it to help the rub
>> stick and the mustard taste is not noticed at all.

> I use it all the time, but just call it prepared mustard. I get it at
> Sam's in the quart sized containers. Wow- I've learned a new acronym-
> thanks.
>

>> As for brisket rubs, whatever you happen to like. I like lots of
>> black pepper in the mix. I don't see a need for bacon fat as the
>> brisket will have plenty of fat of its own to keep things moist. Trim
>> it down to about 1/4" on the top.

> Well, the brisket is on and I set the smoke for 4 hours, using the
> Bradley "special blend," since I was out of hickory. I'll check back
> tomorrow either carrying my shield of on it. Thanks to all for the
> recipes and suggestions.
>
> One question- can you do a corned beef brisket in a smoker?

Yes, it's called pastrami.