Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoke then freeze

I found some pretty decent looking Ribeye steaks at Albertson's today
and bought a few. Typically, I cold smoke a steak with Hickory or
Mesquite for about an hour, then toss it on the IR grill for 1.5 to 2
minutes per side. The timing is an art and not a science. <grin> Since
I'm using only a fraction of the space in my Bradley smoker, I've been
tempted to toss in more steaks than I need for that meal, then freeze
the smoked steaks until needed. I've tried this before and have always
been disappointed in the flavor of the smoked-then-frozen steaks. It
seems to work OK with pork, but somehow the flavor in beef gets "off"
when it's smoked in advance, IMHO.

Does anyone know why this would be, or is it just my taster? If you've
done this with success, what technique did you use?

Tonight, I have four chicken breasts in the smoker for an hour with
Hickory. They went into a vacuum marinade this morning with a mix of
unsweetened apple juice, lemon juice from a bush growing about 10' away
and some Rosemary from a bush right beside the smoker. When they come
out of the smoker, I'll grill them at medium heat on the regular grill.
The accompaniment will be Zataran's Black Beans and Rice with just a
little Andoullie mixed in for flavor. It's 108f outside as I type this,
so they'll be about half way done just from the air temp. Dunno what
it'll be like, but I bet it'll get eaten.

Nonny--

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by