Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pork Shelf Life

Hi;

Just got done preparing a large pork shoulder to make pulled pork.
When I purchased it, it was refrigerated for 3 days then placed in the
freezer. I removed it from the freezer and placed it back into my
frige 7 days ago.

I was going to use it but now i'm thinking about how long it has been
refrigerated. Is it still good to eat? It smells fine, but odor is
probly no indication of bacteria capable of causing illness.
If it is cooked to a core temp of 180, wouldnt that kill anything
capable of causing illness?

Thanks

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Crumb" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi;
>
> Just got done preparing a large pork shoulder to make pulled pork.
> When I purchased it, it was refrigerated for 3 days then placed in the
> freezer. I removed it from the freezer and placed it back into my
> frige 7 days ago.
>
> I was going to use it but now i'm thinking about how long it has been
> refrigerated. Is it still good to eat? It smells fine, but odor is
> probly no indication of bacteria capable of causing illness.
> If it is cooked to a core temp of 180, wouldnt that kill anything
> capable of causing illness?

At 7 days, it is near the end of its life though. The 180 does kill
anything but it does not remove toxins that were already there.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "Crumb" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi;
>>
>> Just got done preparing a large pork shoulder to make pulled pork.
>> When I purchased it, it was refrigerated for 3 days then placed in the
>> freezer. I removed it from the freezer and placed it back into my
>> frige 7 days ago.
>>
>> I was going to use it but now i'm thinking about how long it has been
>> refrigerated. Is it still good to eat? It smells fine, but odor is
>> probly no indication of bacteria capable of causing illness.
>> If it is cooked to a core temp of 180, wouldnt that kill anything
>> capable of causing illness?

> At 7 days, it is near the end of its life though. The 180 does kill
> anything but it does not remove toxins that were already there.

It's probably OK, I would guess it took 3 days to come above freezing. I
wouldn't dally though.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> t...
>>
>> "Crumb" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> Hi;
>>>
>>> Just got done preparing a large pork shoulder to make pulled pork.
>>> When I purchased it, it was refrigerated for 3 days then placed in
>>> the freezer. I removed it from the freezer and placed it back into
>>> my frige 7 days ago.
>>>
>>> I was going to use it but now i'm thinking about how long it has
>>> been refrigerated. Is it still good to eat? It smells fine, but
>>> odor is probly no indication of bacteria capable of causing illness.
>>> If it is cooked to a core temp of 180, wouldnt that kill anything
>>> capable of causing illness?

>> At 7 days, it is near the end of its life though. The 180 does kill
>> anything but it does not remove toxins that were already there.
>>

> It's probably OK, I would guess it took 3 days to come above
> freezing. I wouldn't dally though.

I disagree; it isn't OK.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Shawn wrote:
> > "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > t...
> >>
> >> "Crumb" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> At 7 days, it is near the end of its life though. The 180 does kill
> >> anything but it does not remove toxins that were already there.
> >>

> > It's probably OK, I would guess it took 3 days to come above
> > freezing. I wouldn't dally though.

> I disagree; it isn't OK.

Ditto. I'd toss that meat as far as I could throw it.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 29, 6:14 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Crumb" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Hi;

> > Just got done preparing a large pork shoulder to make pulled pork.
> > When I purchased it, it was refrigerated for 3 days then placed in the
> > freezer. I removed it from the freezer and placed it back into my
> > frige 7 days ago.

> > I was going to use it but now i'm thinking about how long it has been
> > refrigerated. Is it still good to eat? It smells fine, but odor is
> > probly no indication of bacteria capable of causing illness.
> > If it is cooked to a core temp of 180, wouldnt that kill anything
> > capable of causing illness?

> At 7 days, it is near the end of its life though. The 180 does kill
> anything but it does not remove toxins that were already there.

Thanks. I pitched it out. I'm going to get another cut of pork over
the weekend.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Crumb wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just got done preparing a large pork shoulder to make pulled pork.
> When I purchased it, it was refrigerated for 3 days then placed in the
> freezer. I removed it from the freezer and placed it back into my
> frige 7 days ago.
>
> I was going to use it but now i'm thinking about how long it has been
> refrigerated. Is it still good to eat? It smells fine, but odor is
> probly no indication of bacteria capable of causing illness.
> If it is cooked to a core temp of 180, wouldnt that kill anything
> capable of causing illness?
>
> Thanks

To this may I quote the old adage: "when in doubt, throw it out."

Abby

--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 1 19-12-2007 06:22 PM
shelf life k-dawg Winemaking 2 01-02-2006 05:12 PM
Shelf life of ham Terry General Cooking 6 26-01-2006 12:03 AM
egg shelf life Vox Humana Baking 0 06-04-2004 04:24 PM