Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Default N00B Intro:

Greetings, I've recently entered the Wonderful World of BBQ and have been
lurking here for a couple of weeks. Being a relative newbie, I won't have
much advice to pass along and since I know how to use my search tools, I can
generally find answers to my questions without asking them again.
I tend to post replies to subjects in an attempt to be humorous (and
sometimes fail miserably), and being a newbie I don't have much to say that
can be useful information. :-)

My first pit aquisition is a Char-Broil Silver Smoker.
I decided on purchasing a low end smoker in case I didn't like doing my own
'Q or wasn't any good at it. (short smoker review: Not a bad, inexpensive
unit, but the cart is spindly and there's a few air leaks that could use
"fixin'")

Turns out doing my research before attempting any BBQ was a good idea.

I started with some chickens and determined that the "beer can" chicken
stand wasn't a good substitute for just setting the chickens on the grate
due to the temperature differential between the grate and the hood. Not to
mention they don't fit as well under the hood.

Next up was some ribs and shoulder. I borrowed a rub from a friend that
worked in a BBQ joint down in NorCal (I learned the art of doing ribs last
year with him as a teacher) and went to town. For a first attempt, things
came out pretty well, but took entirely too long. I had a bit of trouble
keeping the heat high enough and my average temp was too low.

The next time around, I did two racks of ribs and two 4.5lb shoulders and
everything came out perfect. I landed Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ
sauce recipe from this newsgroup and added my own twist(homemade marionberry
jam instead of raspberry preserves). I passed most of the meat around to
friends and co-workers and got quite a few kudos, so I must have done
something right!

Hmm... What's next?

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

vex wrote:
> My first pit aquisition is a Char-Broil Silver Smoker.

Wow. Starting off with an offset - that's ballsy of you! Sounds like you've
got at least one good cooking experience under your belt with it, so carry
on. Have fun, and don't forget the adult beverages in the chef. Most
important ingredient there is.

EZ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Greetings, I've recently entered the Wonderful World of BBQ and have
> been lurking here for a couple of weeks.

Welcome to you, Brett.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message

> Greetings, I've recently entered the Wonderful World of BBQ and have been
> lurking here for a couple of weeks.

snip

The lurking part was wise of you. By now you have figured out that a thick
skin, and morbid sense of humor will carry you far with this crowd.

Once you have mastered the art of the offset smoker, you will never need
anything else. (You will want something else, but will not need it. (Don't
worry, we won't tell your wife))

I too am addicted to Chef Juke's sauce. Use it wisely, and it's best to let
everyone here think that you serve it on the side.

You will have competition if you want to be a wise-ass. (That used to be my
job) If you take over, maybe I'll find my way out of some kill-files.

There some real pros posting here, and if you pay attention, you can get
your master's in BBQ.

Have fun, tell us any things you discover along the way. (And don't be
surprised when someone here tells you he discovered it first. (remember;
thick skin?)

He probably stole it from someone ELSE anyway.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote:
> Greetings, I've recently entered the Wonderful World of BBQ and have been
> lurking here for a couple of weeks. Being a relative newbie, I won't have
> much advice to pass along and since I know how to use my search tools, I
> can generally find answers to my questions without asking them again.
> I tend to post replies to subjects in an attempt to be humorous (and
> sometimes fail miserably), and being a newbie I don't have much to say
> that can be useful information. :-) [ . . . ]

Your sence of humor will be put to the test on this NG. As the late John
Candy once said to me (in a bar, of course), "You're very funny, when you
don't try to be!" Humor must flow naturally from the situation.

> Hmm... What's next?

Firstly, you must host the a.f.b Welcoming Committee, so we can verify your
claims of perfection.

Secondly, if you have not already done so, you should read

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

Finally, Welcome to the Zoo!

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Your sence of humor will be put to the test on this NG. As the late
> John Candy once said to me (in a bar, of course), "You're very funny,
> when you don't try to be!" Humor must flow naturally from the
> situation.

That's one thing I never do, is *try* to be funny. People tend to enjoy my
twisted sense of humor more often than not, and I can just "be myself". :-)

> Firstly, you must host the a.f.b Welcoming Committee, so we can
> verify your claims of perfection.

Heh. No claims of perfection as of yet, but I think I'm off to a pretty good
start! And I'm always willing to host for friends, new and old, and use them
for guinea pigs on my food experiments. :-)

> Secondly, if you have not already done so, you should read
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

That was actually the very first document I read online about BBQ, even
before I discovered A.F.B. In fact, I think that's where I found out about
A.F.B.!

OB 'Q Content:
On my 2nd try at doing ribs, I only sauced one of the two racks, just to see
how they differed after being plated. I prefer my sauce on the side. :-)

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > Your sence of humor will be put to the test on this NG. As the late
> > John Candy once said to me (in a bar, of course), "You're very funny,
> > when you don't try to be!" Humor must flow naturally from the
> > situation.

> That's one thing I never do, is *try* to be funny. People tend to enjoy
> my twisted sense of humor more often than not, and I can just "be
> myself". :-)
>
> > Firstly, you must host the a.f.b Welcoming Committee, so we can
> > verify your claims of perfection.

> Heh. No claims of perfection as of yet, but I think I'm off to a pretty
> good start! And I'm always willing to host for friends, new and old, and
> use them for guinea pigs on my food experiments. :-)
>
> > Secondly, if you have not already done so, you should read
> >
> > http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

> That was actually the very first document I read online about BBQ, even
> before I discovered A.F.B. In fact, I think that's where I found out
> about A.F.B.!
>
> OB 'Q Content:
> On my 2nd try at doing ribs, I only sauced one of the two racks, just to
> see how they differed after being plated. I prefer my sauce on the side.
> :-)

Excellent, friend Brett. It does, indeed, sound as though you're off to a
good start, both with your Q and here. You did say that you're always
willing to host for friends, didn't you? ;-)

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:21:46 -0700, "vex" >
> wrote:
>
>>Greetings, I've recently entered the Wonderful World of BBQ and have been
>>lurking here for a couple of weeks. Being a relative newbie, I won't have
>>much advice to pass along and since I know how to use my search tools, I
>>can
>>generally find answers to my questions without asking them again.
>>I tend to post replies to subjects in an attempt to be humorous (and
>>sometimes fail miserably), and being a newbie I don't have much to say
>>that
>>can be useful information. :-)

> Welcome. I'm not far from you, as I'm in SW Everett. Let me know if
> you have extra, after pruning that cherry tree.
>
> There's a Q joint right there in Burlington, just a skosh E. of the 5,
> and I hear it can be pretty good. Have you checked it out?
> I forget the name now.
> <google>
> Double Barrel BBQ.
>
> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Heck Yall pretty close to me too. I am on Whidbey island
Look in phone book under Tree services . Theres gotta be plenty that will
let you haul off the branches. Make sure they are either Fruit trees or
Alder. Also wood scraps from a flooring place , I use oak flooring quit a
bit in my smoker.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> There's a Q joint right there in Burlington, just a skosh E. of the 5,
> and I hear it can be pretty good. Have you checked it out?
> I forget the name now.
> <google>
> Double Barrel BBQ.

Yup, in fact they're only a few blocks from my house. They put out some
pretty darn good food. I was disappointed when they stopped serving
breakfast, they made a mean brisket breakfast burrito.

They're on the corner of Burlington Blvd and HWY 20, across from the
Burlington High School.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> There's a Q joint right there in Burlington, just a skosh E. of the 5,
>> and I hear it can be pretty good. Have you checked it out?
>> I forget the name now.
>> <google>
>> Double Barrel BBQ.

> Yup, in fact they're only a few blocks from my house. They put out some
> pretty darn good food. I was disappointed when they stopped serving
> breakfast, they made a mean brisket breakfast burrito.
>
> They're on the corner of Burlington Blvd and HWY 20, across from the
> Burlington High School.

Howdy neighbor!

I'm Upriver of you just outside of Concrete. I use a Bandera.

--
Saara

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Saara wrote:

> I'm Upriver of you just outside of Concrete. I use a Bandera.

Wow, small world! How do you like the Bandera?

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Saara wrote:
>
>> I'm Upriver of you just outside of Concrete. I use a Bandera.

> Wow, small world! How do you like the Bandera?

Shrinking every day.

I'm learning with it! It's easy to use, but I'm still working on
temperature control. I like all the space it has and the ability to
stack foods especially if you want one thing to drip onto the other. The
small footprint is nice too.

Mine is an older one made in the US so it's heavy duty. Got it for $50
at the Day Creek fire department garage sale.

Have you tried Reverie BBQ over on 2nd in Mt. Vernon yet?

--
Saara
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Saara wrote:

> Have you tried Reverie BBQ over on 2nd in Mt. Vernon yet?

I didn't even know it was there! I'll have to check it out.

Do you know anywhere local to Skagit County that sells packer cut brisket?

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Saara wrote:
>
>> Have you tried Reverie BBQ over on 2nd in Mt. Vernon yet?

> I didn't even know it was there! I'll have to check it out.
>
> Do you know anywhere local to Skagit County that sells packer cut brisket?

Haven't looked for that so I don't know, but you might give Silvana
Meats a call. http://www.silvanameats.com/ Since they start with the
whole cow and pig, you can get anything you want.

I got a small brisket with my beef quarter this time so I'll be
experimenting some time this summer.

--
Saara
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 17:12:42 GMT, "vex" > wrote:
>
>> Saara wrote:
>>
>>> Have you tried Reverie BBQ over on 2nd in Mt. Vernon yet?

>> I didn't even know it was there! I'll have to check it out.
>>
>> Do you know anywhere local to Skagit County that sells packer cut brisket?

> Is there a big Wal-mart there? I know the one just north of
> Marysville sells packer-cuts.
>
> But--I imagine just about any butcher there, supermarket, smaller
> market, whatever, can order one or more for you.

I'd ask at Haggen's (grocery), CostCutter or one of the carnicerias. Fin
de semana is on Burlington Blvd. approximately across from Kohl's and
World Market Meats/Mercado del Mundo is on 2nd in Mt. Vernon.

--
Saara

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Saara wrote:
> Denny Wheeler wrote:

>>> I didn't even know it was there! I'll have to check it out.
>>>
>>> Do you know anywhere local to Skagit County that sells packer cut
>>> brisket?

>> Is there a big Wal-mart there? I know the one just north of
>> Marysville sells packer-cuts.
>>
>> But--I imagine just about any butcher there, supermarket, smaller
>> market, whatever, can order one or more for you.

> I'd ask at Haggen's (grocery), CostCutter or one of the carnicerias. Fin
> de semana is on Burlington Blvd. approximately across from Kohl's and
> World Market Meats/Mercado del Mundo is on 2nd in Mt. Vernon.

Another option might be a short run up to Bellingham. Cash&Carry
(405 Ohio St. off of the State St exit from I-5) has select brisket
packers. Some choice packers leak through from time to time and the
prices are better than the local stores. Good luck!
Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

>>> Saara wrote:

>> Haven't looked for that so I don't know, but you might give Silvana
>> Meats a call. http://www.silvanameats.com/ Since they start with the
>> whole cow and pig, you can get anything you want.

> They're very highly thought of among several of my coworkers.

I've had good experiences with them! They're the butcher that my beef
rancher uses and they've provided us excellent service with the custom
cutting.

They also have a nice selection of sausages, hams and other items
available. I like their naturally raised pork too.

--
Saara
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi There,

this is the first time that I have either viewed or posted on this
newsgroup. I have a question about cast iron griddles. I have just
bought one for my weber summit and the instructions say to coat it in
vegetable shortening. Can anybody tell me what this is? It may seem a
silly question but I am from England after all.

Many thanks,

Dave

vex wrote:
> Greetings, I've recently entered the Wonderful World of BBQ and have been
> lurking here for a couple of weeks. Being a relative newbie, I won't have
> much advice to pass along and since I know how to use my search tools, I can
> generally find answers to my questions without asking them again.
> I tend to post replies to subjects in an attempt to be humorous (and
> sometimes fail miserably), and being a newbie I don't have much to say that
> can be useful information. :-)
>
> My first pit aquisition is a Char-Broil Silver Smoker.
> I decided on purchasing a low end smoker in case I didn't like doing my own
> 'Q or wasn't any good at it. (short smoker review: Not a bad, inexpensive
> unit, but the cart is spindly and there's a few air leaks that could use
> "fixin'")
>
> Turns out doing my research before attempting any BBQ was a good idea.
>
> I started with some chickens and determined that the "beer can" chicken
> stand wasn't a good substitute for just setting the chickens on the grate
> due to the temperature differential between the grate and the hood. Not to
> mention they don't fit as well under the hood.
>
> Next up was some ribs and shoulder. I borrowed a rub from a friend that
> worked in a BBQ joint down in NorCal (I learned the art of doing ribs last
> year with him as a teacher) and went to town. For a first attempt, things
> came out pretty well, but took entirely too long. I had a bit of trouble
> keeping the heat high enough and my average temp was too low.
>
> The next time around, I did two racks of ribs and two 4.5lb shoulders and
> everything came out perfect. I landed Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ
> sauce recipe from this newsgroup and added my own twist(homemade marionberry
> jam instead of raspberry preserves). I passed most of the meat around to
> friends and co-workers and got quite a few kudos, so I must have done
> something right!
>
> Hmm... What's next?
>

> --Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

david Morgan wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> this is the first time that I have either viewed or posted on this
> newsgroup. I have a question about cast iron griddles. I have just
> bought one for my Weber summit and the instructions say to coat it in
> vegetable shortening. Can anybody tell me what this is? It may seem a
> silly question but I am from England after all.
>
> Many thanks,

OK Here goes:

The procedure you are initiating is called seasoning. Oil, and heat;
repeat.
This will eventually build up a dark coating which will prevent rust, and
also prevent food from sticking. It may take several months of use to
properly season cast iron. Once done, the seasoning can stand up to a
tremendous amount of abuse.

(I have a skillet which was seasoned back in 1965, which has never needed to
be re-done.)

Couple of other points:

I don't usually wash cast iron. Simply wipe it out with a napkin. (Use a
bronze brush to remove burnt on food; but after the seasoning is done
properly, this won't be a problem.)

To season: using a paper towel, or other disposable object, apply a thin
(very thin) coat of shortening or oil (If ya want to do it right, use lard.
It works faster) on the griddle coating both the top, and underside. (this
is the last time we will oil the undersides.)

Heat this to about 180 degrees C for about an hour.

Let cool. Check to see if the surface is tacky; if it is, back into the
oven until it is not tacky.

You may now use the griddle, but might have to use a non-stick spray in the
beginning, until the seasoning is complete.

Maintenance is simple, if you notice the surface is dry, wipe a little more
oil on, and keep it in your oven when not in use. Leave it in there when
you use the oven to cook other items, and let the coating build up.

One other thing:

Welcome to the group. We have,over the years decided that we would place
our replies beneath the post we were replying to. This makes it easier for
folks to follow the thread of conversation. We're not Nazis about it, (OK
some are). Just wanted to let you know.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-Jul-2007, "Shawn Martin" <shawnrmartin_remove >
wrote:

> david Morgan wrote:
> > Hi There,
> >
> > this is the first time that I have either viewed or posted on this
> > newsgroup. I have a question about cast iron griddles. I have just
> > bought one for my Weber summit and the instructions say to coat it in
> > vegetable shortening. Can anybody tell me what this is? It may seem a
> > silly question but I am from England after all.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >

> OK Here goes:
>
> The procedure you are initiating is called seasoning. Oil, and heat;
> repeat.
> This will eventually build up a dark coating which will prevent rust, and
> also prevent food from sticking. It may take several months of use to
> properly season cast iron. Once done, the seasoning can stand up to a
> tremendous amount of abuse.
>
> (I have a skillet which was seasoned back in 1965, which has never needed
> be re-done.)
>
> Couple of other points:
>
> I don't usually wash cast iron. Simply wipe it out with a napkin. (Use a
>
> bronze brush to remove burnt on food; but after the seasoning is done
> properly, this won't be a problem.)
>
> To season: using a paper towel, or other disposable object, apply a thin
> (very thin) coat of shortening or oil (If ya want to do it right, use
> lard.
> It works faster) on the griddle coating both the top, and underside.
> (this
> is the last time we will oil the undersides.)
>
> Heat this to about 180 degrees C for about an hour.
>
> Let cool. Check to see if the surface is tacky; if it is, back into the
> oven until it is not tacky.
>
> You may now use the griddle, but might have to use a non-stick spray in
> the
> beginning, until the seasoning is complete.
>
> Maintenance is simple, if you notice the surface is dry, wipe a little
> more
> oil on, and keep it in your oven when not in use. Leave it in there when
> you use the oven to cook other items, and let the coating build up.

On the other hand, go here and follow the instructions. It's always
possible that a major manufacturer of cast iron cookware might know
how to take care of it.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/usecare1.asp
--
Brick(Divorcing Microsoft)

intro cj5 Tea 0 10-09-2006 05:18 PM
Intro HeatherB Tea 5 09-07-2006 10:12 PM
Intro: saying hi... Arie Sourdough 4 12-02-2006 06:19 PM
Intro [email protected] Sourdough 1 28-10-2005 12:07 AM
Intro VikingQueen14 General Cooking 22 28-01-2005 05:07 AM