Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Party suggestions

All,

This board has been really useful to me so far. It has been my summer
project to learn barbecue, and I have had smashing results thus far.
The end goal of my barbecue education for the summer is to throw a
party. I will probably expect 35 to 40 people at this party, which I
will throw in late September. I am starting NOW to think about what
to cook and how much to cook.

In your experience, what types of cuts do you cook for a lot of
people? I was thinking about cooking a full pork shoulder and making
pulled pork... and then cooking up a few dozen chicken legs and making
pulled chicken for the folks who don't like pork.

What would you suggest? What do party-goers tend to like in a
barbecue party? Should I be including some ribs for snacking?
Brisket instead?

Also, I will likely be loading my smoker up pretty well if I cook for
that many people. What types of things do I need to think about?
Longer cooking times, possibly? Do I need to think again about
gear for the event?

Any thought about this will be appreciated. I want to plan this well
enough to have a good party with good food.

Thanks,
Brian

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bilz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> All,
>
> This board has been really useful to me so far. It has been my summer
> project to learn barbecue, and I have had smashing results thus far.
> The end goal of my barbecue education for the summer is to throw a
> party. I will probably expect 35 to 40 people at this party, which I
> will throw in late September. I am starting NOW to think about what
> to cook and how much to cook.
>
> In your experience, what types of cuts do you cook for a lot of
> people? I was thinking about cooking a full pork shoulder and making
> pulled pork... and then cooking up a few dozen chicken legs and making
> pulled chicken for the folks who don't like pork.
>
> What would you suggest?

<snip>
> Thanks,
> Brian

My suggestion is for you to enjoy your friends as much as possible as opposed to
being a slave to the Q or grill.

Therefore I would smoker several Boston Buts and have pulled pork as the main
event. The pork could easily be done up to a week ahead of time. I would also
do a mess of slaw either for the pulled pork sandwiches or as a side. A big pot
of beans will stay warm on the Grill. As far as grilling is concerned if there
are any kids present the grill some hot dogs for the little guys. For the
adults grill some corn on the cob serve with drawn butter & a brush, also
include some wedges of Mexican limes & some of the powdered Pico De Gallo de
another sprinkle on hot pepper for the corn.

The most important thing is for you to have fun with your friends.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bilz wrote:
> All,
>
> This board has been really useful to me so far. It has been my summer
> project to learn barbecue, and I have had smashing results thus far.
> The end goal of my barbecue education for the summer is to throw a
> party. I will probably expect 35 to 40 people at this party, which I
> will throw in late September. I am starting NOW to think about what
> to cook and how much to cook.

This may help:
http://members.tripod.com/~lotsofinfo/index.html

> In your experience, what types of cuts do you cook for a lot of
> people? I was thinking about cooking a full pork shoulder and making
> pulled pork... and then cooking up a few dozen chicken legs and making
> pulled chicken for the folks who don't like pork.
>
> What would you suggest? What do party-goers tend to like in a
> barbecue party? Should I be including some ribs for snacking?
> Brisket instead?

Do what you know. Don't do anything that you don't have experience cooking.

> Also, I will likely be loading my smoker up pretty well if I cook for
> that many people. What types of things do I need to think about?

Do I have the capacity for the load I want to cook?

> Longer cooking times, possibly?

Not really. Once the pit gets up to temp, it will take about as long to cook
12 butts as it takes to do one butt.

> Do I need to think again about

I don't know what you mean.

> Should I consider getting some backup cooking
> gear for the event?

Does your pit have the capacity to cook what you need? If it does, you don't
really need a backup.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 26, 11:23 am, Bilz > wrote:
.................................................. .............

> Any thought about this will be appreciated. I want to plan this well
> enough to have a good party with good food.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

First, good job on thinking this far ahead. I regularly do these type
of things, and it's not all that difficult. As has been mentioned
before, if you are tending the food all day, you are gonna lose out on
time with your freinds. I can guarantee it.

If I may suggest, YOU cook the main meats, and have your freinds all
bring something to go along with it. Somebody HAS to bring some kind
of fresh seafood. And if someone offers to bring along another fire
pit, don't EVER pass it up. The less you have to open your own cooker
the better. Besides, if that person is willing to bring their own
fire, then it usually means that you are gonna have an extra pair of
hands.

For the meats, pulled pork can be done ahead of time. Ditto for
brisket, because depending on size, they can take a very long time in
the cooker. The day of the event, it's a good idea not to give
yourself too much work. Items that cook in a 2-4 hr span will give
your guests time to socialize with you and they will not be waiting
for Q all day. Chickens are a great idea, especially if you just split
'em and cook them in halves. They are much easier to handle that way.
How about some smoke roasted beef? I go to my butcher and buy shell
sirloin roasts cut from the primal... 3-6 inches isn't too thick.
Season them to taste with something different than you put on anything
else. You can cook these babies medium rare, that takes mebbe 3 hours
under heavy smoke. Slice 'em up once they rest for a bit. If anyone
wants something closer to shoe leather, toss a few slices on the
grill. Your guests will never forget that party I can guarantee it.

Dinner party suggestions? Laura[_3_] General Cooking 3 05-09-2009 12:17 AM
Party Menu Suggestions part 2 cjra General Cooking 3 15-07-2009 06:44 PM
Party suggestions Barb Beer 7 20-01-2007 02:52 PM
Suggestions wanted for party foods???? Spoons Baking 2 19-12-2004 11:14 PM
Can you give me some suggestions for my party??????? SPOONS General Cooking 26 31-07-2004 10:38 PM