Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Another OT - Garnish?

Some of you have read my post about cooking for a large group and cooking
the lasagna. Well, the way it wil all be served is that the lasagna will be
plated by itself. Any suggestions on a garnish for this? Again, I'm pretty
new to this, but I want things to look nice, and just a hunk of lasagna
isn't that great looking on a plate. Well, I take that back, it really is
to me, but you know what I mean.

Thanks for the help!

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" > wrote:
> Some of you have read my post about cooking for a large group and cooking
> the lasagna. Well, the way it wil all be served is that the lasagna will
> be plated by itself. Any suggestions on a garnish for this? Again, I'm
> pretty new to this, but I want things to look nice, and just a hunk of
> lasagna isn't that great looking on a plate. Well, I take that back, it
> really is to me, but you know what I mean.
>
> Thanks for the help!

I just sprinkle it with fresh grated Parmesan and/or Romano, then a little
fresh or dried basil, oregano or tarragon. It's Italian food, not French!

I suppose a little paper umbrella might be pretty. Just kidding. ;-)

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "bworthey" > wrote:
>> Some of you have read my post about cooking for a large group and cooking
>> the lasagna. Well, the way it wil all be served is that the lasagna will
>> be plated by itself. Any suggestions on a garnish for this? Again, I'm
>> pretty new to this, but I want things to look nice, and just a hunk of
>> lasagna isn't that great looking on a plate. Well, I take that back, it
>> really is to me, but you know what I mean.
>>
>> Thanks for the help!

> I just sprinkle it with fresh grated Parmesan and/or Romano, then a little
> fresh or dried basil, oregano or tarragon. It's Italian food, not French!
>
> I suppose a little paper umbrella might be pretty. Just kidding. ;-)

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about basil, and of course sprinkling
it with cheese. I just discovered some info on garnishing it with basil,
now if I can just figure up how much I might need for 160 plates of it, I'll
be doing good!

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "bworthey" > wrote:
> >> Some of you have read my post about cooking for a large group and
> >> cooking the lasagna. Well, the way it wil all be served is that the
> >> lasagna will be plated by itself. Any suggestions on a garnish for
> >> this? Again, I'm pretty new to this, but I want things to look nice,
> >> and just a hunk of lasagna isn't that great looking on a plate. Well,
> >> I take that back, it really is to me, but you know what I mean.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the help!

> > I just sprinkle it with fresh grated Parmesan and/or Romano, then a
> > little fresh or dried basil, oregano or tarragon. It's Italian food,
> > not French!
> >
> > I suppose a little paper umbrella might be pretty. Just kidding. ;-)

> Thanks for the info. I was thinking about basil, and of course
> sprinkling it with cheese. I just discovered some info on garnishing it
> with basil, now if I can just figure up how much I might need for 160
> plates of it, I'll be doing good!

One sprig of fresh Basil on top of each piece sounds nice.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:39:52 -0500, bworthey wrote:
>
>> Some of you have read my post about cooking for a large group and cooking
>> the lasagna. Well, the way it wil all be served is that the lasagna will
>> be
>> plated by itself. Any suggestions on a garnish for this? Again, I'm
>> pretty
>> new to this, but I want things to look nice, and just a hunk of lasagna
>> isn't that great looking on a plate. Well, I take that back, it really
>> is
>> to me, but you know what I mean.

> Garlic bread with parsley flakes.
>
> -sw

Well, I guess I should have clarified some, since it is a dinner theater,
things are being served between scenes, etc., so they are getting bread,
then salad, then the lasagna, then desert.....normally, I would have the
bread on there with the lasagna, and that was my dilema. I was goign to
have an empty plate, I felt, with just a hunk of lasagna on there. Again,
looks GREAT to me, but I just wanted to add some touch to it.

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:46:32 -0500, "bworthey"
> Simplest thing would be to get a bunch (okay LOTS of bunches) of
> either parsley or basil and put a nice sprig on the top or side of
> each hunk of lasagne.
>
> Also, for a nice presentation (but definitely more work), covering the
> plate with some sauce before plating the lasagne itself helps the
> lasagne not look so plain.

Many thanks, especially for the pictures! THey look great!

B-Worthey

> Some examples:
>
> http://scatt.bilegrip.com/lasagne2.jpg
> http://tinyurl.com/29o6q7
> http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...er/lasagna.jpg
> http://www.stefanipremiumfoods.com/m...a-pix-only.jpg
> http://www.marjennings.com/images/co...lasagna_mn.jpg
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
> www.chefjuke.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 05:46:32 -0500, "bworthey"
> wrote:

>Well, I guess I should have clarified some, since it is a dinner theater,
>things are being served between scenes, etc., so they are getting bread,
>then salad, then the lasagna, then desert.....normally, I would have the
>bread on there with the lasagna, and that was my dilema. I was goign to
>have an empty plate, I felt, with just a hunk of lasagna on there. Again,
>looks GREAT to me, but I just wanted to add some touch to it.
>
>B-Worthey

Simplest thing would be to get a bunch (okay LOTS of bunches) of
either parsley or basil and put a nice sprig on the top or side of
each hunk of lasagne.

Also, for a nice presentation (but definitely more work), covering the
plate with some sauce before plating the lasagne itself helps the
lasagne not look so plain.

Some examples:

http://scatt.bilegrip.com/lasagne2.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/29o6q7
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...er/lasagna.jpg
http://www.stefanipremiumfoods.com/m...a-pix-only.jpg
http://www.marjennings.com/images/co...lasagna_mn.jpg

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bworthey" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>>
>> Garlic bread with parsley flakes.
>>
>> -sw

> Well, I guess I should have clarified some, since it is a dinner theater,
> things are being served between scenes, etc., so they are getting bread,
> then salad, then the lasagna, then desert.....normally, I would have the
> bread on there with the lasagna, and that was my dilema. I was goign to
> have an empty plate, I felt, with just a hunk of lasagna on there. Again,
> looks GREAT to me, but I just wanted to add some touch to it.
>
> B-Worthey

Bread is going to be the first course, I take it? How about a variety of
breadsticks - hard, soft, seeded, etc., instead of bread. Then a piece of
garlic bread to go along with the lasagna. The diners will need something
to help them clean their plates! And like Chef Juke said, a sprig of green
for the fru-fru touch!

Just out of curiosity, why are you posting different aspects of this event
to different groups?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Paco's Tacos" > wrote in message
> Just out of curiosity, why are you posting different aspects of this event
> to different groups?

Just had different questions, and some got posted one place, some got posted
to another, it was where I was searching for info at the time really.

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Paco's Tacos wrote:
> "bworthey" > wrote in message
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>>> Garlic bread with parsley flakes.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Well, I guess I should have clarified some, since it is a dinner theater,
>> things are being served between scenes, etc., so they are getting bread,
>> then salad, then the lasagna, then desert.....normally, I would have the
>> bread on there with the lasagna, and that was my dilema. I was goign to
>> have an empty plate, I felt, with just a hunk of lasagna on there. Again,
>> looks GREAT to me, but I just wanted to add some touch to it.
>>
>> B-Worthey

If the lasagna is fairly solid (not running), then consider a ladle of
marinara on the plate with the lasagna set in the center. I'd not serve
the bread ahead of time, but would place a piece on the plate with the
lasagna. Sprinkle chopped parsley lightly on both for color.

---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.