Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Tri-tip California style

To all the posts on Tri-tip.

First we trim at least 1/2 the fat off, especially any membrane.
Then a good rubbin of Kosher Salt and
Black pepper - the more the better; can also add
Lawry's Garlic Salt. Susie Q's does not beat
this rub and cost an arm and leg. Rest for an hour to two.

Good red oak firewood in our towable pit - two adjustable
grills. Start the fire, let er burn down for about 1/2 hour.
Lower grills and get em hot, rub down with a wire brush, spray
with a good coat of PAM, dump on the tri-tip, fat side down,
each one touching the other (no need heating the entire planet).

Sear on one side, turn over sear on the other side. Raise the grill,
and direct heat for 20 minutes, turn once, another 15-20 minutes
until rare, med-rare. Pull off grill and stack in foil lined ice chest.
Close
the lid and keep her closed. No lookie and yes the tri tip will keek
"cooking",
so DON"T pull it off the grill a full Medium or Well.
Options we use: add 2 bottles of beer poured on the bottom, or any other
3-4 cups of your favorite liquid. Basically, letting the tri tip
steam - staying moist and keeping warm for serving.

Hand slice or use a commercial meat slicer set at about
1/2" thick - always ACROSS the grain.

Serve with Salsa, Ranch Beans, Green Salad and grilled,
butter/garlic dipped sourdough bread.

Just our way of doing tri-tip on the grill. YES, we do call it
BBQ here in Calif.

Hope this helps where needed. Keep grillin' for the fillin'.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:02:38 -0700, Lewis wrote:
>
>> Start the fire, let er burn down for about 1/2 hour.
>> Lower grills and get em hot, rub down with a wire brush, spray
>> with a good coat of PAM...

> I bet that makes for nice fireball - alcohol and oil.

Nope- I spray hot grates frequently. There might be a flare-up, but
anyone with an IQ above "warm" knows to stand back.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 26, 8:34 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:02:38 -0700, Lewis wrote:

> >> Start the fire, let er burn down for about 1/2 hour.
> >> Lower grills and get em hot, rub down with a wire brush, spray
> >> with a good coat of PAM...

> > I bet that makes for nice fireball - alcohol and oil.

> Nope- I spray hot grates frequently. There might be a flare-up, but
> anyone with an IQ above "warm" knows to stand back.

Which is besides the point. I'd never used PAM on the grill for
anything but fish, no reason to. Never had a tri-tip pull itself apart
sticking to the grill after all.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Jun 26, 8:34 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>> I bet that makes for nice fireball - alcohol and oil.

>> Nope- I spray hot grates frequently. There might be a flare-up, but
>> anyone with an IQ above "warm" knows to stand back.

> Which is besides the point. I'd never used PAM on the grill for
> anything but fish, no reason to. Never had a tri-tip pull itself apart
> sticking to the grill after all.

Besides Pam, I have olive oil in a pump up sprayer. I switch back and
forth frequently, since I'm always experimenting. However, I generally
give the grates a spray with Pam for Grilling after wire brushing them,
and use the olive oil sprayer lightly to "refresh" an oil coating on
chops or even salmon before turning.

I've not done tri tip lately, but agree with you about grilling a steak,
chops or other "solid" meats. I find that the Pam helps with grilled
chicken pieces as well.

Tonight, I have 12 large 8 count shrimp thawing and am going to play
with grilling them split in a basket. . . like a lobster tail. Rather
than just peel and skewer them, I think I'll split them lengthwise to
make halves and use a couple baskets. They won't contact the grates,
but I'll probably use my olive oil on the baskets to ease cleaning.
Right now, I'm leaning toward brushing the inside with garlic butter and
dusting them with paprika. I'll start them meat side down, then flip and
brush again to finish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nonny