Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoking mullet

Anyone have a tried and proven way of smoking mullet fish. Ive never done
fish before.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jimmie D" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a tried and proven way of smoking mullet fish. Ive never done
> fish before.
>
> Jimmie

OK, I just flashed to a vision of Dawg the Bounty hunter, with a Kool.

Stop it!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jimmie D" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a tried and proven way of smoking mullet fish. Ive never done
> fish before.
>
> Jimmie

And the very best smoked fish in the world. Way better than any salmon or
trout.
Keep it simple. Split down the back, leaving the 2 sides connected. Don't
worry about the black insides.
Apply S&P or your favorite rub, splash with Crystal, Franks or Louisiana
got sauce and hot smoke (250°-300°) skin side down till done. An hour or so.
Leave the skin and scales on. You can take the head off if you want to,
but there is some good eating lost if you do.
Try to use the smaller mullet. 12"-16"
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> "Jimmie D" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have a tried and proven way of smoking mullet fish. Ive never done
>> fish before.
>>
>> Jimmie
>>

> And the very best smoked fish in the world. Way better than any salmon or
> trout.
> Keep it simple. Split down the back, leaving the 2 sides connected. Don't
> worry about the black insides.
> Apply S&P or your favorite rub, splash with Crystal, Franks or Louisiana
> got sauce and hot smoke (250°-300°) skin side down till done. An hour or
> so.
> Leave the skin and scales on. You can take the head off if you want to,
> but there is some good eating lost if you do.
> Try to use the smaller mullet. 12"-16"
> --
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Sounds good and I agree with you about the flavor. First time I ate it it
was mixed with cream cheese as a dip and then as a main course. I was
addicted

Jimmie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jimmie D" > wrote in message

> "Big Jim" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jimmie D" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a tried and proven way of smoking mullet fish. Ive never
>>> done fish before.
>>>
>>> Jimmie
>>>

>> And the very best smoked fish in the world. Way better than any salmon or
>> trout.
>> Keep it simple. Split down the back, leaving the 2 sides connected.
>> Don't worry about the black insides.
>> Apply S&P or your favorite rub, splash with Crystal, Franks or Louisiana
>> got sauce and hot smoke (250°-300°) skin side down till done. An hour or
>> so.
>> Leave the skin and scales on. You can take the head off if you want to,
>> but there is some good eating lost if you do.
>> Try to use the smaller mullet. 12"-16"
>> --
>> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

> Sounds good and I agree with you about the flavor. First time I ate it it
> was mixed with cream cheese as a dip and then as a main course. I was
> addicted
>
> Jimmie

Smoked mullet dip is good. They serve it in most Cracker Seafood joints
around here.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:40:49 -0400, Big Jim wrote:
>
>> Smoked mullet dip is good. They serve it in most Cracker Seafood joints
>> around here.

> "Cracker" <snork> We were just talking about this word in
> austin.food.
>
> -sw

Just after I sent that, I came across an article in The Palm Beach Post
about old time "Cracker" food.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jimmie D" > wrote in message

> "Big Jim" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jimmie D" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a tried and proven way of smoking mullet fish. Ive never
>>> done fish before.
>>>
>>> Jimmie
>>>

>> And the very best smoked fish in the world. Way better than any salmon or
>> trout.
>> Keep it simple. Split down the back, leaving the 2 sides connected.
>> Don't worry about the black insides.
>> Apply S&P or your favorite rub, splash with Crystal, Franks or Louisiana
>> got sauce and hot smoke (250°-300°) skin side down till done. An hour or
>> so.
>> Leave the skin and scales on. You can take the head off if you want to,
>> but there is some good eating lost if you do.
>> Try to use the smaller mullet. 12"-16"
>> --
>> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

> Sounds good and I agree with you about the flavor. First time I ate it it
> was mixed with cream cheese as a dip and then as a main course. I was
> addicted
>
> Jimmie

Take that back, first time I ate mullet my dad fixed them, also had fried
roe. I really didnt care much for the fish then but I loved the roe.

Jimmie