Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default A nice video on doing grilled baby back ribs.

A nice video on doing grilled baby back ribs.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/c...edbabybackribs

or

http://tinyurl.com/3y33vy

Michael (Piedmont)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:33:30 -0500, "Michael (Piedmont)" >
wrote:

>A nice video on doing grilled baby back ribs.
>

>http://www.americastestkitchen.com/c...edbabybackribs
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/3y33vy
>
>Michael (Piedmont)

Loin ribs cooked by a guy in a bow tie (a yankee at that). I thought
this was suppose to be a BBQ group ;-(
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

seemed pretty straight foward.

a nice intro to someone who has never cooked ribs.

it seems they left the membrane on the inside... hmn.

they weren't using lump charcoal either, looked like them preformed
jobs.

-W

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Woogeroo wrote:
> seemed pretty straight foward.
>
> a nice intro to someone who has never cooked ribs.
>
> it seems they left the membrane on the inside... hmn.

I didn't watch the video, but I never remove the membrane. I just do a quick
scoring with a sharp knife or a box cutter and let the pit do the rest. I've
spent years removing and not removing membranes, and I don't see it
affecting quality or taste either way if they're 'Qd properly.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Woogeroo wrote:
>> seemed pretty straight foward.
>>
>> a nice intro to someone who has never cooked ribs.
>>
>> it seems they left the membrane on the inside... hmn.

> I didn't watch the video, but I never remove the membrane. I just do a
> quick scoring with a sharp knife or a box cutter and let the pit do the
> rest. I've spent years removing and not removing membranes, and I don't
> see it affecting quality or taste either way if they're 'Qd properly.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Dave do you rub the membrane side if you're leaving the membrane on? It
doesn't make much sense to me to do that. I usually try[the understatement
of the year] to pull the membrane so I can rub both sides. I'm wondering if
it makes any sense. Do you put the ribs on membrane side down, and do you
oil the rubbed top side at all? I have sprayed the rubbed top[or
dorsal]side with canola[read PAM] attempting to get a better "char".
Thanks
Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Dave do you rub the membrane side if you're leaving the membrane on?

Nope. I wouldn't do it even if I removed the membrane, there's not enough
meat on ribs which can make it easy to overwhelm the rib with seasoning.

> It doesn't make much sense to me to do that. I usually try[the
> understatement of the year] to pull the membrane so I can rub both
> sides. I'm wondering if it makes any sense. Do you put the ribs on
> membrane side down, and do you oil the rubbed top side at all? I have
> sprayed the rubbed top[or dorsal]side with canola[read PAM]
> attempting to get a better "char". Thanks

I put my ribs meat side up, rack (bone) side down. I don't oil my ribs at
all. There's enough moisture in the meat for the rub to stick.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Dave do you rub the membrane side if you're leaving the membrane on? It
> doesn't make much sense to me to do that. I usually try[the understatement
> of the year] to pull the membrane so I can rub both sides. I'm wondering
> if it makes any sense. Do you put the ribs on membrane side down, and do
> you oil the rubbed top side at all? I have sprayed the rubbed top[or
> dorsal]side with canola[read PAM] attempting to get a better "char".
> Thanks
> Kent

Instead of oil, use yellow mustard. Sometimes I pull the membrane, if it
comes off easy. Can't really tell a difference once cooked. I do them
membrane side up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Woogeroo wrote:
>>> seemed pretty straight foward.
>>>
>>> a nice intro to someone who has never cooked ribs.
>>>
>>> it seems they left the membrane on the inside... hmn.

>> I didn't watch the video, but I never remove the membrane. I just do a
>> quick scoring with a sharp knife or a box cutter and let the pit do the
>> rest. I've spent years removing and not removing membranes, and I don't
>> see it affecting quality or taste either way if they're 'Qd properly.
>>
>> --
>> Dave

Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful responses,
When you're cooking ribs, or any meat where you are rendering substantial
amounts of fat and drippings, do you position the ribs so drippings hit
coals, which then vaporize and flavor the ribs from below along with the
smoke? Or, do you just cook full indirect with a drip pan below the ribs
and catch the drippings? I think then the primary bbq flavorizer is the
wood.
I roast turkeys and standing rib roasts totally indirectly and catching all
the drippings to use for Yorkshire pudding, gravy, etc. There is no
vaporization of dripping back into the meat. Am I missing something?

Kent

>> www.davebbq.com
>>

> Dave do you rub the membrane side if you're leaving the membrane on? It
> doesn't make much sense to me to do that. I usually try[the understatement
> of the year] to pull the membrane so I can rub both sides. I'm wondering
> if it makes any sense. Do you put the ribs on membrane side down, and do
> you oil the rubbed top side at all? I have sprayed the rubbed top[or
> dorsal]side with canola[read PAM] attempting to get a better "char".
> Thanks
> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> Thanks to both of you for your thoughtful responses,
> When you're cooking ribs, or any meat where you are rendering
> substantial amounts of fat and drippings, do you position the ribs so
> drippings hit coals, which then vaporize and flavor the ribs from
> below along with the smoke?

With my commercial pit, it's completely indirect. The drippings --- about 5
to 8 gallons worth per day --- fall to the floor of the pit and drain out
into a large bucket.

At home when I use my Kamado #7 (which is like any vertical pit with the
heat below the meat) I place a 'catch pan' below the meat. With the WSM, the
pan is filled with sand and catches the drips.

With open pits, where the coals are directly under the meat, the meat drips
directly onto the coals.

> .... I think then the
> primary bbq flavorizer is the wood.

Yup, I agree. There may be some vaporized fat particles, but that is not
really noticeable due to the low heat. With the high heat of grilling, there
is a huge amount of fat being vaporized and that coats the meat being
cooked. A lot of folks associate that flavor with outdoor cooking. I don't
care for it much, myself.

> I roast turkeys and standing rib roasts totally indirectly and
> catching all the drippings to use for Yorkshire pudding, gravy, etc. There
> is no vaporization of dripping back into the meat. Am I missing
> something?

I don't think so, Kent.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:34:11 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Woogeroo wrote:
>> seemed pretty straight foward.
>>
>> a nice intro to someone who has never cooked ribs.
>>
>> it seems they left the membrane on the inside... hmn.

>I didn't watch the video, but I never remove the membrane. I just do a quick
>scoring with a sharp knife or a box cutter and let the pit do the rest. I've
>spent years removing and not removing membranes, and I don't see it
>affecting quality or taste either way if they're 'Qd properly.

I've gone to scoring the membrane road as well Dave and find it works
just fine.

Harry
still unpacking after the move to The Island

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:34:11 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> wrote:
>
>> Woogeroo wrote:
>>> seemed pretty straight foward.
>>>
>>> a nice intro to someone who has never cooked ribs.
>>>
>>> it seems they left the membrane on the inside... hmn.

>> I didn't watch the video, but I never remove the membrane. I just do
>> a quick scoring with a sharp knife or a box cutter and let the pit
>> do the rest. I've spent years removing and not removing membranes,
>> and I don't see it affecting quality or taste either way if they're
>> 'Qd properly.

> I've gone to scoring the membrane road as well Dave and find it works
> just fine.
>
> Harry
> still unpacking after the move to The Island

I trust you mean Vancouver and not Hawaii? :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:34:11 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
> >Woogeroo wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> I've gone to scoring the membrane road as well Dave and find it works
> just fine.

> still unpacking after the move to The Island

Looking forward to pics of yer first cookout at yer new digs.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:59:55 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:34:11 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
>> wrote:

>>> I didn't watch the video, but I never remove the membrane. I just do
>>> a quick scoring with a sharp knife or a box cutter and let the pit
>>> do the rest. I've spent years removing and not removing membranes,
>>> and I don't see it affecting quality or taste either way if they're
>>> 'Qd properly.

>> I've gone to scoring the membrane road as well Dave and find it works
>> just fine.
>>
>> Harry
>> still unpacking after the move to The Island

>I trust you mean Vancouver and not Hawaii? :-)

Truly - it is Vancouver [Island], Dave.

Harry
[should have done it years ago - we get better Alberta beef here than
they get in Alberta!!!]
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26 Jun 2007 23:51:09 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

>> I've gone to scoring the membrane road as well Dave and find it works
>> just fine.

>> still unpacking after the move to The Island

>Looking forward to pics of yer first cookout at yer new digs.

WILCO, Nick, although the big fella [K7] needs a lube job, wheel
alignment and new brakes, first . . . I also bought myself a Bradley
Smoker on the cheap.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

>>> Harry
>>> still unpacking after the move to The Island

>> I trust you mean Vancouver and not Hawaii? :-)

> Truly - it is Vancouver [Island], Dave.
>
> Harry
> [should have done it years ago - we get better Alberta beef here than
> they get in Alberta!!!]

Victoria and Nanaimo are great places. We have good friends just
outside Victoria and were there just last year. Our friend advertises
himself as "living on an island in the Pacific."

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:

> Victoria and Nanaimo are great places. We have good friends just
> outside Victoria and were there just last year. Our friend advertises
> himself as "living on an island in the Pacific."

We had a lovely family holiday last year near Nanaimo, on the
interior coast. Positively lovely.

Dana

Doc's Rum-Grilled Baby Back Ribs kozzak Barbecue 7 16-06-2011 01:38 AM
I want my Baby Back Ribs... Goro[_2_] General Cooking 16 25-09-2010 02:05 PM
Baby Back Ribs Theron General Cooking 8 09-09-2009 07:16 AM
Baby Back Ribs Kathleen[_4_] General Cooking 3 09-09-2008 10:12 PM
Baby Back Ribs Van[_2_] General Cooking 1 09-09-2008 07:58 PM