Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Sweet BBQ Sauce for Pulled Pork

Hello All!

My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.

Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

Thanks in advance.

Smokin' Tim

--
"The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers:
Is it true?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better
> than his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a
> "sweet, ketchup based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I
> usually serve.
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good
> with a heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a**
> so that next year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

Heck Tim, to even the field completely have two seperate competitions. 1.
Just the meat. 2. Sauce.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
> heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
> year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

My first inclination would be to just say "no".

My second inclination would be to get a bottle of KC Masterpiece,
dump it into a bowl, goose it with some Buffalo Chipotle sauce
and pretend it's home-made.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message

> Tim wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our
> > families annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is
> > much better than his, but to even the field he is insisting that we
> > have a "sweet, ketchup based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar
> > sauce I usually serve. Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe
> > that would go good
> > with a heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a**
> > so that next year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

> My first inclination would be to just say "no".
>
> My second inclination would be to get a bottle of KC Masterpiece,
> dump it into a bowl, goose it with some Buffalo Chipotle sauce
> and pretend it's home-made.
>
> Dana

You're probably right with the KC Masterpiece (shudder!), but I'd probably
use Blues Hog original sauce. KC Masterpiece sure does appeal to the
masses, though.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 20, 12:19 pm, "Tim" > wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
> heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
> year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Smokin' Tim
>
> --
> "The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers:
> Is it true?
> Is it kind?
> Is it necessary?"
> -Arab proverb

Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

NOTE: This is a slight variation on the classic Kansas City Barbecue
sauce
from the KC Barbecue Association, for those who like their BBQ Hot &
Smoky!

6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls dark rum
2 Tbls yellow mustard
1 Tbls pure chili powder
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo
2 cups ketchup
2 cups Raspberry Preserves (I use Wall's Raspberry preserves from
Costco)
Kosher or sea salt
Pepper

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, honey,
Worcestershire,
rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, allspice and
cloves.
Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until all
ingredients are
dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and
bring
to boil, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and
gently
simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark & thick, about 30 minutes,
stirring
often. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room
temperature
and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months. Makes 5 cups or 20
servings.

**Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out
the heat
in the peppers start by adding ¼ cup of chipotles and cook for the 30
minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it
REALLY
HOT.

Two notes:
First, Chefjuke didn't mention honey in his ingredients list (it's in
the
directions), so I just dumped in about a TBS worth. Worked fine.
Second,
take him seriously about the chipotles in adobo sauce. Them suckers
are
tasty and hot. Start out with the recommended dosage and add more
after you
taste it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
> heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
> year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Smokin' Tim

I've never tried this on pulled pork and it's not really a
ketchup based sauce, but it has some in it if that counts.

I got this along time ago while in Hawaii. It took alot of
begging and groveling but eventually I wore the s.o.b. down
;-) It's not cheap to make and it's definitely different
but worth a try.

1 large can frozen orange juice - don't add any water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup (HEINZ)
1/2 cup of mustard (regular yellow, not dry)
1/2 cup of whiskey (anything that ya got, cheap stuff works
fine)
1/4 cup soy sauce (optional)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (I recomment L&P)
Grated onion and garlic to taste (I wouldn't advise using dried)
dump everything in a blender and mix

(I add a touch of coarse salt and fresh ground pepper but
that's not in the original... I just can't follow a recipe)

Another variation, depending on what I'm looking for is some
chipotle peppers or tabasco, etc.

Freezes well.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 12:19 pm, "Tim" > wrote:
> [...]

temperature
and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months. Makes 5 cups or 20
servings.

**Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out
the heat
in the peppers start by adding ¼ cup of chipotles and cook for the 30
minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it
REALLY
HOT.

Two notes:
First, Chefjuke didn't mention honey in his ingredients list (it's in
the
directions), so I just dumped in about a TBS worth. Worked fine.
Second,
take him seriously about the chipotles in adobo sauce. Them suckers
are
tasty and hot. Start out with the recommended dosage and add more
I can certainly vouch for the above recipe. (Try to use seedless jam in it)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
> heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
> year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Smokin' Tim

Tim,
Here's one a pitboss here in Austin gave me for a good, sweet(and
slightly spicy)side sauce:

DT's BBQ Sauce

* 3/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/3 cup molasses
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
* 3 cloves garlic
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I'd use more-fm)
* 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* I can of crushed pineapple about 10 oz. (I
alternate-apricots/peaches/plums-whatever you got-fm)

Heat the oil up with the garlic until it's soft, then add the
other ingredients on low heat until mixed. Makes enough.
Don't be ashamed to use sauce if you like it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tim" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.

You said "no", of course. He wants you to cover up the good flavor of your
pork with a sickly sweet sauce giving him the advantage. True test is the
meat alone. Don't give in and lower your standards.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tim" > wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with
> a heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that
> next year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

Tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce NOW! Go with yer vinegar sauce. It's
probably part of why your pulled pork is better. ;-)

However, you can't go wrong with

Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce

NOTE: This is a slight variation on the classic Kansas City Barbecue
sauce from the KC Barbecue Association, for those who like their BBQ
Hot & Smoky!

6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls dark rum
2 Tbls yellow mustard
1 Tbls pure chili powder
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo
2 cups ketchup
2 cups Raspberry Preserves (I use Wall's Raspberry preserves from
Costco)
Kosher or sea salt
Pepper

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire,
rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder,
allspice and cloves. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook,
uncovered, until all ingredients are dissolved, stirring constantly,
about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and bring to boil, stirring
constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and
gently simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark & thick, about 30 minutes,
stirring often. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to
room temperature and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months.
Makes 5 cups or 20 servings.

**Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out
the heat in the peppers start by adding ¼ cup of chipotles and cook
for the 30 minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you
like it REALLY HOT.

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jason Tinling > wrote:
> On Jun 20, 12:19 pm, "Tim" > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

My post of the same is now redundant. ;-(

~Semper Fi~
Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim[_8_] View Post
Hello All!

My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.

Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

Thanks in advance.

Smokin' Tim

--
"The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?"
-Arab proverb
here is an awesome recipe for bbq sauce which you might be interested in.
East Meets West Barbeque Sauce recipe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Jason Tinling > wrote:
> > On Jun 20, 12:19 pm, "Tim" > wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]

> > Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

It's interesting to note that of the six or seven posts, three of them were
of Chef Juke's recipe.

Haven't seen him around here lately. Hope yer OK, Jukester.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:01:43 -0600, "Shawn"
> > wrote:
>
>>Second,
>>take him seriously about the chipotles in adobo sauce. Them suckers
>>are
>>tasty and hot. Start out with the recommended dosage and add more
>>after you
>>taste it.

> (above this is from Jason T.)
>
>>I can certainly vouch for the above recipe. (Try to use seedless jam in
>>it)

> Hey Shawn, would you please set your OE to mark quoted material? It'd
> make your posts much easier to follow. Thanks!
>
> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Sorry 'bout that. I just noticed it. If I don't CR after the page down, it
gets included with the OP. Will try better in future.

Shawn (Who was just as confused as you when I saw it.) :-(

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> Jason Tinling > wrote:
>> > Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

> It's interesting to note that of the six or seven posts, three of them
> were
> of Chef Juke's recipe.
>
> Haven't seen him around here lately. Hope yer OK, Jukester.

That's because that sauce is bitchin' (If you HAVE to have sauce at all)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks all for the responses. I like the idea of refusing to participate
with the BBQ sauce portion of the contest, and saving some self-respect, but
if I can beat him at his own game he just might leave it alone for a few
years.

I think I'll try some the Chef Juke's recipe ahead of time and see how I
like it. At the very least, I'm going with a sauce that I like.

Again, Thanks all!

-Tim

"Tim" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
> heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
> year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Smokin' Tim
>
> --
> "The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers:
> Is it true?
> Is it kind?
> Is it necessary?"
> -Arab proverb

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 20, 9:44 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> My post of the same is now redundant. ;-(
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! !
> ~Semper Fi~

Yeah, but we still love ya, Nick ;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Tim wrote:

> "sweet, ketchup based BBQ sauce"

Buy the one-gallon jug of Maul's Original Recipe barbecue sauce. It doesn't
get much more sickening-sweet and tomatoey than that. I live in St. Louis
where it's made, and I don't even care for it much. Except maybe on chicken,
rarely.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:01:43 -0600, "Shawn"
> > wrote:
>
> > Second,
> > take him seriously about the chipotles in adobo sauce. Them suckers
> > are
> > tasty and hot. Start out with the recommended dosage and add more
> > after you
> > taste it.

> (above this is from Jason T.)
>
> > I can certainly vouch for the above recipe. (Try to use seedless
> > jam in it)

> Hey Shawn, would you please set your OE to mark quoted material? It'd
> make your posts much easier to follow. Thanks!

I'm not sure there's anything he can do with the particular version he
has. The problem is that Google Groups, when doing replies, sets the
header line:

Some versions of OE don't handle quoted-printable well.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tim wrote:
> Hello All!
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better
> than his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a
> "sweet, ketchup based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I
> usually serve. Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would
> go good
> with a heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a**
> so that next year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.

Ketchup -based sauce on pork (or anything for that matter)??? Blecht!

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:47:56 -0600, "frohe" >
wrote:

>Ketchup -based sauce on pork (or anything for that matter)??? Blecht!

It almost makes one feel sorry for the millions of people who lack
your refined sensibilities and rarified good taste.

PS: There's a reason why ice-cream plants make both vanilla AND
chocolate.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jason Tinling > wrote:
> On Jun 20, 9:44 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >
> > My post of the same is now redundant. ;-(
> >

> Yeah, but we still love ya, Nick ;-)

Aw, shucks. <shuffle, shuffle>

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

EZ wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>
> > "sweet, ketchup based BBQ sauce"

> Buy the one-gallon jug of Maul's Original Recipe barbecue sauce. It
> doesn't get much more sickening-sweet and tomatoey than that. I live
> in St. Louis where it's made, and I don't even care for it much.
> Except maybe on chicken, rarely.

"Don't baste your barbecue, Maull it!"

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tim" > wrote in message
> Hello All!
>
> My brother insists on having a pulled pork competition at our families
> annual 4th of July bash. Everyone knows that my pork is much better than
> his, but to even the field he is insisting that we have a "sweet, ketchup
> based BBQ sauce" in addition to the vinegar sauce I usually serve.
>
> Will someone share a BBQ (sweet, ketchup) recipe that would go good with a
> heavily rubbed pulled pork? I'd really like to kick his a** so that next
> year I can tell him what to do with his BBQ sauce.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Smokin' Tim
>
> --
> "The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers:
> Is it true?
> Is it kind?
> Is it necessary?"
> -Arab proverb

Peach based BBQ Sauce. I don't measure, so you might have to play a bit
with it yourself, but I'll try to give approximations.

Juice from one large can of peaches.
1.5 cups ketchup
..5 cup mustard
several squirts worchestireshire
pinch of clove
tsp black pepper
tsp salt

Then I add some of the rub mixture I used for the meat, as well as the
amount of hot pepper flakes I want to get the heat I want as well.

Cook until boiling, then simmer for about 15min.

Like I said, I don't measure, I just put everything in and taste as I go...
sauce is never exactly the same two times in a row, but always close. *g*

first pulled pork - sauce? Grant Erwin Barbecue 14 18-05-2008 06:06 AM
Red...kinda Apple butter bbq sauce for pulled pork Mr Libido Incognito General Cooking 3 10-08-2006 08:25 PM
Pulled Pork sauce Dimitri Barbecue 8 18-12-2004 04:30 PM
Pulled Pork Sauce Dimitri General Cooking 11 18-12-2004 09:30 AM