FoodBanter.com

-   -   Advice needed for baking many pototoes (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/126541-re-advice-needed-baking.html)

Nick Cramer 17-06-2007 07:53 AM

wrote:
> I would like some advice on baking a somewhat large quantity of
> potatoes. I'm trying to bake 33 large russets in my oven, and it has
> to be all at once because I don't have time for multiple batches.
> Normally, for one or two potatoes, I bake at 400 for an hour.
> I'm wondering how the increased quantity is going to affect this.
> Should I bake at a higher temperature, or for longer time, or both?
>
> Another consideration is that I only want them to be about 80 - 90%
> done, as I will be re-heating them on a BBQ about 6 hours later.
>
> Any suggestions for cook time & temperature?

If your oven can maintain the 400 with that load, then your 1 hour should
be fine. Maybe 45 minutes for 80%.

~Semper Fi~

Lawrence Akutagawa 17-06-2007 08:29 AM

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> I would like some advice on baking a somewhat large quantity of
>> potatoes. I'm trying to bake 33 large russets in my oven, and it has
>> to be all at once because I don't have time for multiple batches.
>> Normally, for one or two potatoes, I bake at 400 for an hour.
>> I'm wondering how the increased quantity is going to affect this.
>> Should I bake at a higher temperature, or for longer time, or both?
>>
>> Another consideration is that I only want them to be about 80 - 90%
>> done, as I will be re-heating them on a BBQ about 6 hours later.
>>
>> Any suggestions for cook time & temperature?

> If your oven can maintain the 400 with that load, then your 1 hour should
> be fine. Maybe 45 minutes for 80%.

I tend to be partial to the approach of after washing the potatoes, wrap
each in aluminum foil. Dig a pit in the ground about 8 - 10 inches or so
deep and big enough in circumference to hold all those potatoes. Place foil
wrapped potatoes in the pit, covering well with dirt over and between the
potatoes. Try to assure a couple of inches of dirt over the top most layer
of potatoes. Start a fire over the dirt covered potatoes - wood is fine,
briquets are okay, lump is acceptable...but a waste of good lump. You could
set a grill atop that fire and grill something or the other should you wish
to. When the coals die down, dig out a potato, unwrap, and see if
thoroughly baked. If not, more fire. If yes, then dig out the others and
enjoy.

Gerardus 17-06-2007 09:30 AM

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>> I would like some advice on baking a somewhat large quantity of
>>> potatoes. I'm trying to bake 33 large russets in my oven, and it has
>>> to be all at once because I don't have time for multiple batches.
>>> Normally, for one or two potatoes, I bake at 400 for an hour.
>>> I'm wondering how the increased quantity is going to affect this.
>>> Should I bake at a higher temperature, or for longer time, or both?
>>>
>>> Another consideration is that I only want them to be about 80 - 90%
>>> done, as I will be re-heating them on a BBQ about 6 hours later.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions for cook time & temperature?

>> If your oven can maintain the 400 with that load, then your 1 hour should
>> be fine. Maybe 45 minutes for 80%.

> I tend to be partial to the approach of after washing the potatoes, wrap
> each in aluminum foil. Dig a pit in the ground about 8 - 10 inches or so
> deep and big enough in circumference to hold all those potatoes. Place foil
> wrapped potatoes in the pit, covering well with dirt over and between the
> potatoes. Try to assure a couple of inches of dirt over the top most layer
> of potatoes. Start a fire over the dirt covered potatoes - wood is fine,
> briquets are okay, lump is acceptable...but a waste of good lump. You could
> set a grill atop that fire and grill something or the other should you wish
> to. When the coals die down, dig out a potato, unwrap, and see if
> thoroughly baked. If not, more fire. If yes, then dig out the others and
> enjoy.

We used to do the same but without wrapping, nor washing...

Gerardus

Nick Cramer 18-06-2007 03:55 AM

jeremy > wrote:
> Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
>
> > I tend to be partial to the approach of after washing the potatoes,
> > wrap each in aluminum foil.

> That is not a baked potato, because you retain the moisture. Although I
> love potatoes done in the fire or the ground, if you use foil they do not
> match crispy skins and the sweet chestnut taste of a real baked potato.

Oyez! Oyez! We useta throw the 'taters on the periphery of the camp fire
and pull 'em when they started to smolder.

~Semper Fi~