Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default WANTED: GOOD rib rack

Ihave had the cheep wire rib racks but want something better. Right
now I'm smoking on an ECB but will be getting a WSM when the ECB goes.
That being said, my problem is that the rib racks I've had all seem to
be short for St Louis Ribs and they flop over. I'm thinking something
on the order of maybe 15 long, 8-10 wide with 6 inch arms going up.

Does anyone make or sell something of substance or is this something
that I'm going to have ot get new every spring?

Walt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

walt_l wrote:

> Ihave had the cheep wire rib racks but want something better. Right
> now I'm smoking on an ECB but will be getting a WSM when the ECB goes.
> That being said, my problem is that the rib racks I've had all seem to
> be short for St Louis Ribs and they flop over. I'm thinking something
> on the order of maybe 15 long, 8-10 wide with 6 inch arms going up.
>
> Does anyone make or sell something of substance or is this something
> that I'm going to have ot get new every spring?
>
> Walt

If the rack is too short, use two of them.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

walt_l wrote:
> Ihave had the cheep wire rib racks but want something better. Right
> now I'm smoking on an ECB but will be getting a WSM when the ECB goes.
> That being said, my problem is that the rib racks I've had all seem to
> be short for St Louis Ribs and they flop over. I'm thinking something
> on the order of maybe 15 long, 8-10 wide with 6 inch arms going up.
> Does anyone make or sell something of substance or is this something
> that I'm going to have ot get new every spring?

Make a call to your local welder and tell em what you want.

-frohe
Life's too short to be in a hurry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Jun-2007, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:08:55 -0700, walt_l wrote:
>
> > Does anyone make or sell something of substance or is this something
> > that I'm going to have ot get new every spring?

> My local Border's (yes, the bookstore) is selling these right now:
> http://www.straubs.com/product.html?id=86074&catId=27
>
> You might also check Office Depot/Max for desk accessories which
> is what I'm using right now. It's a desk folder/paper stand, bent
> flat rather than it's default which slops upwards. It fits in the
> ECB perfectly and hold 3 spare racks (under 3.5lbs/ea) at a
> 60-degree angle and cost me about $5.
>
> You can always roll and skewer them, too. I've never tried it
> personally, but I've seen pictures.
>
> -sw

My NB Silver has quite a bit of space compared to an ECB or
WSM, but when I run short of space I usually stack ribs instead
of using a rack. I shuffle them about every hour when I do that
and it adds about 25% or so to the cooking time. The extra
time doesn't matter because I'm always cooking butts or picnics
at the same time. The pit is going to be running for 6 to 9 hours
in any case.

About ribs flopping over on the ends when using a rack; so what?
My end ribs don't taste any different then my middle ribs after
they're done. Trying to make BBQ'ing complicated just takes
all the fun out of it.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On 13-Jun-2007, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:08:55 -0700, walt_l wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone make or sell something of substance or is this something
>>> that I'm going to have ot get new every spring?

>> My local Border's (yes, the bookstore) is selling these right now:

http://www.straubs.com/product.html?id=86074&catId=27

>> You might also check Office Depot/Max for desk accessories which
>> is what I'm using right now. It's a desk folder/paper stand, bent
>> flat rather than it's default which slops upwards. It fits in the
>> ECB perfectly and hold 3 spare racks (under 3.5lbs/ea) at a
>> 60-degree angle and cost me about $5.
>>
>> You can always roll and skewer them, too. I've never tried it
>> personally, but I've seen pictures.
>>
>> -sw

> My NB Silver has quite a bit of space compared to an ECB or
> WSM, but when I run short of space I usually stack ribs instead
> of using a rack. I shuffle them about every hour when I do that
> and it adds about 25% or so to the cooking time. The extra
> time doesn't matter because I'm always cooking butts or picnics
> at the same time. The pit is going to be running for 6 to 9 hours
> in any case.
>
> About ribs flopping over on the ends when using a rack; so what?
> My end ribs don't taste any different then my middle ribs after
> they're done. Trying to make BBQ'ing complicated just takes
> all the fun out of it.

Amen!!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Shawn wrote:

>> About ribs flopping over on the ends when using a rack; so what?
>> My end ribs don't taste any different then my middle ribs after
>> they're done. Trying to make BBQ'ing complicated just takes
>> all the fun out of it.

Exactly. I gotta say, though, when I first started doing slow smoked
barbecue I was as anal as anybody. Everything had to be perfect. Now, of
course, it's a lot more fun to let a few things be and enjoy the day! Or,
maybe I've done so many it's just second nature.

I have a few of those cheap wire rib racks, and I like them. Last time I did
ribs, instead of putting three racks of ribs in one of 'em with an empty
space in between each rack, I loaded up a single wire rib rack with six
racks of ribs. The ends were touching, flopping over, whatever. The ribs
came out fantastic - just like always.

When I do them on the top shelf of my CharGriller, I use a rib rack that
I've modified. I cut off all the pointy potato skewer things on the outside,
bent the two remaining outside sides inward, because the top of the
CharGriller curves so much I couldn't get the lid closed. Now, it works just
fine, and I can still cook a whole bunch of meat on the main rack.

But, anymore, I just use the Traeger with the digital thermostat and keep
the hopper full. More time for visiting and adult beverages!

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"