Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

Default Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco in Kirkland, WA?

Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?

I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
good brand first.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

>Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?
>
>I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
>good brand first.

BTW, I did try to call the store before asking here. It was a
'fuggedaboutit' expreience.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 12, 2:27 pm, Abe > wrote:
> >Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?

> >I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
> >good brand first.

> BTW, I did try to call the store before asking here. It was a
> 'fuggedaboutit' expreience.

Make or break is based on the brand of lump? :-/

Their meat is much better than the Safeway/Lucky junk.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

Tutall > wrote:

>On Jun 12, 2:27 pm, Abe > wrote:
>> >Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?

>> >I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
>> >good brand first.

>> BTW, I did try to call the store before asking here. It was a
>> 'fuggedaboutit' expreience.

>Make or break is based on the brand of lump? :-/
>
>Their meat is much better than the Safeway/Lucky junk.

It's just one consideration. Any actual answer to the question?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe wrote:
> Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?
>
> I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
> good brand first.

The don't carry lump, just briquettes. Last I looked it was Kingsford.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Abe" > wrote in message
> Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?
>
> I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
> good brand first.\.

In the SF Bay area they don't carry lump. I was just there today and bought
poisonous Kingsford.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> As for the CoctCo charcoal, people are reporting that its a
> Kirkland Brand (of course) $9.65 for 20lbs. I get my B&B for the
> same price at some of the HEB's, or for a dollor more at Central
> Market.

I haven't seen Kirkland-brand charcoal yet at my local
Costcos, just the Kingsford, where it's something like
$12-ish for 48lbs.

This is just making me appreciate even more the Original
Charcoal Co. Rancher briquettes at $4.99/20lbs. I hope
I can still get the stuff when my current stash runs out.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

>Lucky's? Man, where have *you* been? Lucky's was bought by
>Albertsons, what, 8 years ago? :-)
>
>I liked Lucky's, but I never bought much beef there - just
>seafood, pork and chicken. And it sure beat Safeway.

Man, what a blast from the past. I seem to remember they had a pretty
hot redheaded woman spokesperson in their commercials.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 13, 6:52 am, Dana Myers > wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > As for the CoctCo charcoal, people are reporting that its a
> > Kirkland Brand (of course) $9.65 for 20lbs. I get my B&B for the
> > same price at some of the HEB's, or for a dollor more at Central
> > Market.

> I haven't seen Kirkland-brand charcoal yet at my local
> Costcos, just the Kingsford, where it's something like
> $12-ish for 48lbs.

Wow, they're all over the map then, two weeks ago the local Costco had
a Killford special of 2 x 20lb bags for 12.98. Higher than last year,
that's for sure.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Jun 13, 6:52 am, Dana Myers > wrote:
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>> As for the CoctCo charcoal, people are reporting that its a
>>> Kirkland Brand (of course) $9.65 for 20lbs. I get my B&B for the
>>> same price at some of the HEB's, or for a dollor more at Central
>>> Market.

>> I haven't seen Kirkland-brand charcoal yet at my local
>> Costcos, just the Kingsford, where it's something like
>> $12-ish for 48lbs.

> Wow, they're all over the map then, two weeks ago the local Costco had
> a Killford special of 2 x 20lb bags for 12.98. Higher than last year,
> that's for sure.

Your Costco and my Costco might get their Kingsford off
the same truck on some days; were they really 20lbs bags?
Kingsford is using a 21.6lbs bag these days with their
"new improved" coal/petroleum coke fuel, and I recall
Costco used to always have 24lbs bags instead of 20lbs bags
found elsewhere. It was a perk of shopping at Costco :-)

But now I'm wondering if everyone gets the "new improved"
21.6lbs bag.

In any case, I won't be burning any Kingsford as long as
I can get Original Charcoal Co. briquettes. It's great stuff
that seems to give most of the benefit of lump at a low
price (Lazzari's has gotten expensive, like $17/40lbs,
though I still love the stuff).

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 13, 9:23 am, Dana Myers > wrote:
> Tutall wrote:

> Your Costco and my Costco might get their Kingsford off
> the same truck on some days; were they really 20lbs bags?

Meh, I was rounding, it's not like I buy the stuff. Yeah, IIRC it was
more like 44lbs total.

> In any case, I won't be burning any Kingsford as long as
> I can get Original Charcoal Co. briquettes. It's great stuff
> that seems to give most of the benefit of lump at a low
> price (Lazzari's has gotten expensive, like $17/40lbs,
> though I still love the stuff).

Bought 80lbs a couple of weeks ago at their place for @14.50 per 40lb
bag. But mebbes my memory sucks and it was a bit higher, but not $17
I'm pretty sure. But even if it is, $17 for 40lbs of goodness VS $13
for 44lbs of crap. Lazzari is a great deal.
Even better, I work within a mile or so from their location so re-
stocking is a cinch.

You use their hardwood lump?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Jun 13, 9:23 am, Dana Myers > wrote:
>> Tutall wrote:

>> Your Costco and my Costco might get their Kingsford off
>> the same truck on some days; were they really 20lbs bags?

> Meh, I was rounding, it's not like I buy the stuff. Yeah, IIRC it was
> more like 44lbs total.

I'd just noticed that Kingsford had changed the bag size, so I
was curious.

>> In any case, I won't be burning any Kingsford as long as
>> I can get Original Charcoal Co. briquettes. It's great stuff
>> that seems to give most of the benefit of lump at a low
>> price (Lazzari's has gotten expensive, like $17/40lbs,
>> though I still love the stuff).

> Bought 80lbs a couple of weeks ago at their place for @14.50 per 40lb
> bag. But mebbes my memory sucks and it was a bit higher, but not $17
> I'm pretty sure. But even if it is, $17 for 40lbs of goodness VS $13
> for 44lbs of crap. Lazzari is a great deal.

I'm not comparing Lazzari's to Kingsford (that'd be silly).
I'm comparing Original Charcoal Co's briquettes to Lazarri.
By the time I drive down to Lazzari's and back and add in
bridge toll, that adds in about $30-35 for me, so even at
$14.50, I'd have to buy at least 400lbs to get the cost
down below $17 a bag.

I was just observing that the Original Charcoal Co.
briquettes give most of the benefits of lump at a lower
price when I get the OCC briquettes for $5/20lbs.

> Even better, I work within a mile or so from their location so re-
> stocking is a cinch.

You have an advantage I don't, them :-)

> You use their hardwood lump?

Yup, and I love the stuff, it's definitely top quality.
BevMo in the East Bay stocks the mesquite for a retail of
$17/40lbs, I wish they stocked the Hardwood lump but it
seems that most customers of BevMo don't understand the
difference enough to request it.

By the way, a friend of mine works at an oil refinery
and mentioned that they ship 5 ton loads of petroleum coke
to Kingsford all the time. Yum.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Abe" > wrote in message
> >Anyone know which brands of lump are carried at Costco Kirkland, WA?
>>
>>I was thinking of joining, but I wanted to make sure they carried a
>>good brand first.

> BTW, I did try to call the store before asking here. It was a
> 'fuggedaboutit' expreience.

I dont remember seeing lump at Seattle ,Everett or Burlington Costcos
but Home depot has plenty of Lump
Go to the service desk tell them you want to browse the store before you
pay for the membership they will give you a temp membership