Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default best things to cook on a rotisserie

What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today. Thanks
all!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
> one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today.
> Thanks all!

Chickens, pork loins, rib eye roasts, turkey breasts, whole (but small)
turkeys. .

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
> one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today.
> Thanks all!

Duck or Goose
Make sure you save the fat for pate and cassoulet.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> > What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie,

installed
> > one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today.
> > Thanks all!
> >

> Duck or Goose
> Make sure you save the fat for pate and cassoulet.

Perhaps there's a cooking technique that I'm not familiar with.

Could you elaborate further as to how exactly you save the fat from a goose
or a duck, considering the rotisserie is placed over the charcoal.

Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
something new.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
> > "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> >
> > > What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie,

> installed
> > > one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today.
> > > Thanks all!
> > >

> > Duck or Goose
> > Make sure you save the fat for pate and cassoulet.

> Perhaps there's a cooking technique that I'm not familiar with.
>
> Could you elaborate further as to how exactly you save the fat from a
> goose or a duck, considering the rotisserie is placed over the charcoal.
>
> Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
> something new.

LMAO

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 10, 3:33 pm, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
> What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
> one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today. Thanks
> all!

Thread beef or pork ribs on your spit. Boneless leg of lamb (s/p
rosemary, thyme, garlic, evoo) comes out really well too.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Graeme...in London" > wrote:

> > installed
> > > >
> > > Duck or Goose
> > > Make sure you save the fat for pate and cassoulet.

> > Perhaps there's a cooking technique that I'm not familiar with.
> >
> > Could you elaborate further as to how exactly you save the fat from a
> > goose or a duck, considering the rotisserie is placed over the charcoal.
> >
> > Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
> > something new.

> LMAO

Nick. I think I might have worked out a way. Perhaps this is how Kent does
it.

First you need to construct a couple of wiper blades to each side of the
grill so they are fixed, similar to the ones you see on your car windscreen,
only not made of rubber, obviously, perhaps, Teflon, or in Kent's case,
asbestos.

As the rotisserie turns slowly, the blades can do a forwards/backwards
motion along the base of the bird nearest the fire, gathering the fat in the
process, which can then be stored in some purpose-built containers (This is
the tricky part. The containers would have to be affixed to the rotisserie
yet not turn, plus they would have to be adjustable to the individual birds
length).

Thinking about it further, you could even have them multispeed just like
windscreen wipers.

Intermittent wipe - Turkey
Light rain mode - Chicken
Steady rain mode - Duck
Monsoon mode - Goose

Then again, maybe not.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:50:23 -0700, Pierre > wrote:

>On Jun 10, 3:33 pm, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>> What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
>> one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today. Thanks
>> all!

>Thread beef or pork ribs on your spit. Boneless leg of lamb (s/p
>rosemary, thyme, garlic, evoo) comes out really well too.
>
>Pierre

I really like to cook a steamship roast one the rotisserie.For
something smaller I can do a Bolar roast, slow and with a dry rub.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
>> > What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie,

> installed
>> > one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today.
>> > Thanks all!
>> >

>> Duck or Goose
>> Make sure you save the fat for pate and cassoulet.

> Perhaps there's a cooking technique that I'm not familiar with.
>
> Could you elaborate further as to how exactly you save the fat from a
> goose
> or a duck, considering the rotisserie is placed over the charcoal.
>
> Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
> something new.
>
> Graeme

When you cook fowl, particularly fatty fowl over charcoal you always do it
indirectly, with the coals not directly underneath the fowl. You always put
a drip pan underneath to catch the fat and the other drippings. If you don't
do that with goose you'll have quite a fire quickly. Duck, less so, but the
problem is exactly the same. As well, you use the drippings to make sauce or
gravy for your dish. Duck and goose fat are a treasure on hand to use for
pate, cassoulet, confit, and even for charcroute. To burn off your duck and
goose fat for any reason, you'd have to be a culinary idiot, as you
obviously are.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

>> you'd have to be a culinary idiot<<

I'll take the 5th.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > > Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
> > > something new.

> > LMAO

> Nick. I think I might have worked out a way. Perhaps this is how Kent
> does it.
>
> First you need to construct a couple of wiper blades to each side of the
> grill so they are fixed, similar to the ones you see on your car
> windscreen, only not made of rubber, obviously, perhaps, Teflon, or in
> Kent's case, asbestos.
>
> As the rotisserie turns slowly, the blades can do a forwards/backwards
> motion along the base of the bird nearest the fire, gathering the fat in
> the process, which can then be stored in some purpose-built containers
> (This is the tricky part. The containers would have to be affixed to the
> rotisserie yet not turn, plus they would have to be adjustable to the
> individual birds length).
>
> Thinking about it further, you could even have them multispeed just like
> windscreen wipers.
>
> Intermittent wipe - Turkey
> Light rain mode - Chicken
> Steady rain mode - Duck
> Monsoon mode - Goose
>
> Then again, maybe not.

You are on a roll, my friend! Plus, since you're not using your car, your
windscreen wiper blades are available to use on the prototype! ;-D

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Kent" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >>
> >> "Dirty Harry" > wrote in message

> > installed
> >> >
> >> Duck or Goose
> >> Make sure you save the fat for pate and cassoulet.

> > Perhaps there's a cooking technique that I'm not familiar with.
> >
> > Could you elaborate further as to how exactly you save the fat from a
> > goose
> > or a duck, considering the rotisserie is placed over the charcoal.
> >
> > Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
> > something new.
> >
> > Graeme
> >

> When you cook fowl, particularly fatty fowl over charcoal you always do

it
> indirectly, with the coals not directly underneath the fowl. You always

put
> a drip pan underneath to catch the fat and the other drippings. If you

don't
> do that with goose you'll have quite a fire quickly. Duck, less so, but

the
> problem is exactly the same. As well, you use the drippings to make sauce

or
> gravy for your dish. Duck and goose fat are a treasure on hand to use for
> pate, cassoulet, confit, and even for charcroute. To burn off your duck

and
> goose fat for any reason, you'd have to be a culinary idiot, as you
> obviously are.
> >

> Kent

Complete ********, Kent. Let's see what Wikipedia says:

Rotisserie is a style of roasting where meat is skewered on a spit and
revolves over a flame or other heat source. The rotation cooks the meat
evenly in its own juices and allows easy access for continuous basting if
desired.

Note the word over, Kent. No mention whatsoever of indirect.

So you *always* do it indirectly and *always* put a drip-pan underneath, do
you?

Moron.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message

> > > [ . . . ]

> Complete ********, Kent. Let's see what Wikipedia says:
>
> Rotisserie is a style of roasting where meat is skewered on a spit and
> revolves over a flame or other heat source. The rotation cooks the meat
> evenly in its own juices and allows easy access for continuous basting if
> desired.
>
> Note the word over, Kent. No mention whatsoever of indirect.
>
> So you *always* do it indirectly and *always* put a drip-pan underneath,
> do you?
>
> Moron.

My dear Graeme. Please try to severely edit this moron(K*nt)'s posts. I've
had him kf'd for ages, in order to avoid reading his inanities. Thank you
very much for any consideration.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Kent" > wrote in message
>> > . ..

>> > installed

>> > Perhaps there's a cooking technique that I'm not familiar with.
>> >
>> > Could you elaborate further as to how exactly you save the fat from a
>> > goose
>> > or a duck, considering the rotisserie is placed over the charcoal.
>> >
>> > Can't wait for your reply, Kent. I'm ever-so keen to experiment with
>> > something new.
>> >
>> > Graeme
>> >

>> When you cook fowl, particularly fatty fowl over charcoal you always do

> it
>> indirectly, with the coals not directly underneath the fowl. You always

> put
>> a drip pan underneath to catch the fat and the other drippings. If you

> don't
>> do that with goose you'll have quite a fire quickly. Duck, less so, but

> the
>> problem is exactly the same. As well, you use the drippings to make sauce

> or
>> gravy for your dish. Duck and goose fat are a treasure on hand to use
>> for
>> pate, cassoulet, confit, and even for charcroute. To burn off your duck

> and
>> goose fat for any reason, you'd have to be a culinary idiot, as you
>> obviously are.
>> >

>> Kent

> Complete ********, Kent. Let's see what Wikipedia says:
>
> Wikipedia???? An authority about food????????????????

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dirty Harry" > wrote in message
> What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
> one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today.
> Thanks all!

wrap a sweet dough on the bar---serve with cinnamon sugar icing and maybe
some ice cream too

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks guys, ended up doing a Cornish game hen
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/hen.jpg along with some new potatoes, prochuto
wrapped asparagus, and blue cheese stuffed mushrooms. I had charcoal on
both sides of the bird but none underneath. The next day I did a pork "rib
roast" that turned out to be one of the best pork roasts I've ever had.
www.dustingodwinphoto.com/food1.jpg yummm, basted it with a 50/50 red wine
vinegar and brown sugar with some spices.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dirty Harry wrote:
> Thanks guys, ended up doing a Cornish game hen
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/hen.jpg along with some new potatoes, prochuto
> wrapped asparagus, and blue cheese stuffed mushrooms. I had charcoal on
> both sides of the bird but none underneath. The next day I did a pork "rib
> roast" that turned out to be one of the best pork roasts I've ever had.
> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/food1.jpg yummm, basted it with a 50/50 red wine
> vinegar and brown sugar with some spices.

I'm not into C. game hens but it looks like everything came
out good.

What do you do with the stuffed shrooms? Just stuff 'em with
blue and into the grill? Mix anything else in?

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Dirty Harry wrote:
>> Thanks guys, ended up doing a Cornish game hen
>> www.dustingodwinphoto.com/hen.jpg along with some new potatoes, prochuto
>> wrapped asparagus, and blue cheese stuffed mushrooms. I had charcoal on
>> both sides of the bird but none underneath. The next day I did a pork
>> "rib roast" that turned out to be one of the best pork roasts I've ever
>> had. www.dustingodwinphoto.com/food1.jpg yummm, basted it with a 50/50
>> red wine vinegar and brown sugar with some spices.
>>

> I'm not into C. game hens but it looks like everything came out good.
>
> What do you do with the stuffed shrooms? Just stuff 'em with blue and into
> the grill? Mix anything else in?
>
> --
> Steve

Just drizzled with some olive oil. I've done them with feta and herbs as
well.
Cheers

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:

> On Jun 10, 3:33 pm, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
> > What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie, installed
> > one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something good today. Thanks
> > all!

> Thread beef or pork ribs on your spit. Boneless leg of lamb (s/p
> rosemary, thyme, garlic, evoo) comes out really well too.

I have been cooking a lot of small chickens lately. I have had several gas
grills with rotisseries and never used them until recently. I have tried
several recipes with great success. One involved pureeing an onion and
garlic and adding salt, pepper and cumin and smearing the chicken with it
at least an hour ahead and then basting with melted butter. Lately I have
just used lots of salt and pepper and basted with olive oil and they
chickens have been incredible. I get the small birds, about 2 lb., just
enough for two people.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

Dave Smith wrote:
> Pierre wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 10, 3:33 pm, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>>> What are some of your favourite things to cook on a rotisserie,
>>> installed one for over the charcoal and I'm dying to que something
>>> good today. Thanks all!

>> Thread beef or pork ribs on your spit. Boneless leg of lamb (s/p
>> rosemary, thyme, garlic, evoo) comes out really well too.

> I have been cooking a lot of small chickens lately. I have had
> several gas grills with rotisseries and never used them until
> recently. I have tried several recipes with great success. One
> involved pureeing an onion and garlic and adding salt, pepper and
> cumin and smearing the chicken with it at least an hour ahead and
> then basting with melted butter. Lately I have just used lots of salt
> and pepper and basted with olive oil and they chickens have been
> incredible. I get the small birds, about 2 lb., just enough for two
> people.

Small chickens and cornish hens have worked well for me also. I also like to
do boneless pork roasts at low temps.