FoodBanter.com

-   -   Traeger Grill Temperature Problem (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/125889-traeger-grill-temperature-problem.html)

[email protected] 09-06-2007 07:08 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I see
a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end to
the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to the
right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go up in
temperature. They act like this as something that must be lived with
if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the grill
that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.

Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying degrees
of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.

Enlighten me. Please.

BOB[_8_] 09-06-2007 07:26 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

wrote in message
ups.com
The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I see
a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end to
the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to the
right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go up in
temperature. They act like this as something that must be lived with
if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the grill
that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.

Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying degrees
of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.

Enlighten me. Please.

Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the larger brisket
in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the hotter area.
Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter area. I cook ribs hotter
than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in the hotter portion.
The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others. That's
where I cook the chicken or veggies.
Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.

BOB

[email protected] 09-06-2007 09:04 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com

[...]

I agree. It isn't surgery. Unfortunately the way that I cook brisket
is based on a known external temp, and known internal temps. Not
having an even temp across the smoker, especially when you cook more
than one brisket, complicates things.

Dave Bugg 09-06-2007 09:38 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com

[...]

It's not *that* complicated. But, if you don't like the pit maybe you could
sell it and get a coupla WSMs. Or maybe a Cookshack.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

BOB[_8_] 09-06-2007 10:52 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message

wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com

[...]

LOL! WSM (I do agree it's the best grill/smoker for the money!) Talk about
uneven temperatures. ;-)
The Fast Eddie by Cookshack models are pretty even across all of the grates,
but much more costly than 'most everything else. It's on my wish list
(dreaming list?).

He could add a Stoker and get more even temperatures with the fan-forced
convection.

BOB

[email protected] 09-06-2007 11:46 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

On Jun 9, 3:38 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com

[...]

Davewww.davebbq.com- Hide quoted text -

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

Nick Cramer 10-06-2007 12:30 AM

wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:38 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message

[ . . . ]

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

It seemed to me that you had gotten some good suggestions from the folk
here. If, on the other hand, you want someone to hold your hand, by all
means, sell it. Use the money to have a nice BBQ dinner at Tony Roma's,
where you won't have to tend the fire. Ask for extra sauce. ;-)

~Semper Fi~

BOB[_8_] 10-06-2007 01:29 AM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

wrote

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

Get a WSM if you don't want to tend the fire. If you want simpler, but more
$$ then get a Stump's Smoker. With a "Stoker", it's as close to
set-it-and-forget-it as you can get. Or, if you want the ease of operation
with no add-ons, get a Fast Eddie by Cookshack. All will produce excellent
BBQ, but the less work that you have to do, the more $$$ you will have to
spend. Except with the Weber Smokey Mountain. It's only $199 right now.

BOB
websites provided upon request

PS
I heard that there was little fire tending with a Good One??

Tinman 10-06-2007 05:45 PM

Traeger flavor issue (Was: Traeger Grill Temperature Problem)

wrote:

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

I have a Traeger 075 and don't seem to have an issue with uneven temps. I
have the grill positioned so it receives almost no wind. Also live in AZ and
there have been times where the internal temperature of the grill was 160+
before even starting it (outside temp 110+, typical here in the summer). If
I set it to low ("Smoke") the temperature stays at 225-260. It creeps up to
260 during a "smoke session" and then slowly goes back down to 225 before
the next session occurs.

But I would like to know, compared to your prior experience with
non-Traegers, is what you think of the "taste" from Traeger.

I ask because I'm beginning to think that what is gained in convenience is
lost in taste. There is something about it that doesn't quite seem right.
Can't put an exact word or words to it but if I had to it would be something
like smoked lumber, with a hint of burning sawdust. Even the smoke doesn't
smell like what I've noticed in other smokers, or in most BBQ joints.

I'm hoping it's me. Tried different wood (pellets) but that "lumber" flavor
seems to remain. IIRC Traeger's pellets are 80% alder with the remaining 20%
whatever wood it is sold as. Have tried most of the flavors (not "garlic"
and "onion") and don't see much of a difference.

This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves the
flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if I use
a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as evident.
But I'm trying to get down to basics and when I go with just S&P the lumber
flavor is quite evident. Have only used Traeger pellets, nothing else.

--
Mike

Edwin Pawlowski 10-06-2007 09:37 PM

"Tinman" wrote in message

I ask because I'm beginning to think that what is gained in convenience is
lost in taste. There is something about it that doesn't quite seem right.
Can't put an exact word or words to it but if I had to it would be
something like smoked lumber, with a hint of burning sawdust. Even the
smoke doesn't smell like what I've noticed in other smokers, or in most
BBQ joints.

I'm hoping it's me.

snip
This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves the
flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if I
use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as
evident.

I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with electric
and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is just not
heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real flame. I've
had some from gas smokers that were virtually indistinguishable from wood
fired cookers, I've had it from others that had that lumber taste you speak
of.

Tinman 11-06-2007 03:47 PM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Tinman" wrote in message
This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves
the flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if
I use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as
evident.

I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with
electric and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is
just not heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real
flame. I've had some from gas smokers that were virtually
indistinguishable from wood fired cookers, I've had it from others that
had that lumber taste you speak of.

I'm going to buy one last batch of pellets and see how it goes.

What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the chicken
rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't quite
understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of smoke,
would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to cover
something up g.

Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand. Was
never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the solution to which
costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that *begins* at 225 degrees).
For nearly the price of just that thermostat I can buy a WSM.

For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.

--
Mike

[email protected] 11-06-2007 05:41 PM

On Jun 10, 11:45 am, "Tinman" wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Mike:

I noticed the uneven temperature quite bt accident. The first probe
in my 075 was bad. It would not allow the controller to go below
235-250 degrees. Keep in mind that even though it was comtrolling at
this point, the actual temperature in the middle of the smoker was
well over 300 degrees. I verified this by using a portable probe that
was verified to be accurate. Traeger has acknowledged that the higher
you go in temperature, the more of a difference there will be from one
end to the othere of the smoker. I had hoped that there would be a
fix but that hope is fading fast.

I find the flavor, compared to the flavor that I got in meat cooked in
my GoodOne, to be lacking. I was told that the way to get that flavor
back was by smoking for a couple of hours but I do not think that it
would work. The two brisket that I have cooked on this smoker could
have achieved the same taste in the oven.

I believe that the only thing that this cooker has going for it is
convenience. You don't have to tend the fire. But if the meat
doesn't taste good I don't know of what benefit that is.

[email protected] 11-06-2007 05:46 PM

On Jun 9, 6:30 pm, Nick Cramer wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 9, 3:38 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote in message
[ . . . ]

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

It seemed to me that you had gotten some good suggestions from the folk
here. If, on the other hand, you want someone to hold your hand, by all
means, sell it. Use the money to have a nice BBQ dinner at Tony Roma's,
where you won't have to tend the fire. Ask for extra sauce. ;-)

~Semper Fi~

Tony Romas? I want something that I can eat, not something that
should be worn on my feet.

[email protected] 11-06-2007 05:47 PM

Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

On Jun 9, 7:29 pm, " BOB" wrote:
wrote

[...]

Yes there is but the results are very good.

Edwin Pawlowski 12-06-2007 04:33 AM

"Tinman" wrote in message
What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the
chicken rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't quite
understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of smoke,
would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to cover
something up g.

For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.

I was thinking about this after my last reply. I mentioned about the
temperature of the wood burning itself. I wonder if it is not heating up as
well as it should because of the very high ambient temperature you have.
Instead of a clean burn, you'd be more likely to get smoldering, thus the
lumber taste. Chicken can take high temperatures. Can you crank up the
heat higher? That may force the pellets to burn cleaner when the ambient is
110, or about 30 degrees higher that what many of us have as normal.