Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Traeger Grill Temperature Problem

The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I see
a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end to
the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to the
right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go up in
temperature. They act like this as something that must be lived with
if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the grill
that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.

Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying degrees
of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.

Enlighten me. Please.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
ups.com
> The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I see
> a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end to
> the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to the
> right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go up in
> temperature. They act like this as something that must be lived with
> if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the grill
> that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.
>
> Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
> to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
> grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
> put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying degrees
> of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.
>
> Enlighten me. Please.

Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the larger brisket
in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the hotter area.
Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter area. I cook ribs hotter
than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in the hotter portion.
The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others. That's
where I cook the chicken or veggies.
Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com
>
> > The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I see
> > a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end to
> > the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to the
> > right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go up in
> > temperature. They act like this as something that must be lived with
> > if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the grill
> > that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.

> > Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
> > to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
> > grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
> > put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying degrees
> > of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.

> > Enlighten me. Please.

> Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the larger brisket
> in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the hotter area.
> Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter area. I cook ribs hotter
> than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in the hotter portion.
> The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others. That's
> where I cook the chicken or veggies.
> Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.
>
> BOB

I agree. It isn't surgery. Unfortunately the way that I cook brisket
is based on a known external temp, and known internal temps. Not
having an even temp across the smoker, especially when you cook more
than one brisket, complicates things.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On Jun 9, 1:26 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com
>>
>>> The temperature is uneven across the surface of my Traeger 075. I
>>> see
>>> a variation of as much as 40 degrees from the temp probe (left) end
>>> to the middle. I know that it gets even hotter the further I go to
>>> the right. Traeger says that difference is even greater as you go
>>> up in temperature. They act like this as something that must be
>>> lived with
>>> if you want to use their grill. I was told when I purchase the
>>> grill that the temperature was uniform asross the surface.

>>> Has anyone else observed this and is there anything that can be done
>>> to distribute the heat more evenly. People appear to be using this
>>> grill and not having an issue with it. I just can't see how you can
>>> put a couple of brisket on this thing without getting varying
>>> degrees
>>> of doneness from one end to the other of the grill.

>>> Enlighten me. Please.

>> Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the larger
>> brisket in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the hotter area.
>> Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter area. I cook
>> ribs hotter than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in the hotter
>> portion.
>> The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others.
>> That's where I cook the chicken or veggies.
>> Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.
>>
>> BOB

> I agree. It isn't surgery. Unfortunately the way that I cook brisket
> is based on a known external temp, and known internal temps. Not
> having an even temp across the smoker, especially when you cook more
> than one brisket, complicates things.

It's not *that* complicated. But, if you don't like the pit maybe you could
sell it and get a coupla WSMs. Or maybe a Cookshack.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> wrote:
> > >
> > > ups.com

> > > Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the
> > > larger brisket in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the
> > > hotter area. Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter
> > > area. I cook ribs hotter than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in
> > > the hotter portion.
> > > The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others.
> > > That's where I cook the chicken or veggies.
> > > Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.
> > >
> > > BOB

> > I agree. It isn't surgery. Unfortunately the way that I cook
> > brisket is based on a known external temp, and known internal
> > temps. Not having an even temp across the smoker, especially when
> > you cook more than one brisket, complicates things.

> It's not *that* complicated. But, if you don't like the pit maybe you
> could sell it and get a coupla WSMs. Or maybe a Cookshack.
> --
> Dave

www.davebbq.com

LOL! WSM (I do agree it's the best grill/smoker for the money!) Talk about
uneven temperatures. ;-)
The Fast Eddie by Cookshack models are pretty even across all of the grates,
but much more costly than 'most everything else. It's on my wish list
(dreaming list?).

He could add a Stoker and get more even temperatures with the fan-forced
convection.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 9, 3:38 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> wrote:

> roups.com

> >> Use these temperature differences to your advantage. Put the larger
> >> brisket in the hotter area. Or the larger end in the hotter area.
> >> Or, you can put the butts or chicken in the hotter area. I cook
> >> ribs hotter than butts or brisket. Ribs can go in the hotter
> >> portion.
> >> The bottom rack of my Stump's Smoker is hotter than the others.
> >> That's where I cook the chicken or veggies.
> >> Smoking meats isn't rocket surgery.

> >> BOB

> > I agree. It isn't surgery. Unfortunately the way that I cook brisket
> > is based on a known external temp, and known internal temps. Not
> > having an even temp across the smoker, especially when you cook more
> > than one brisket, complicates things.

> It's not *that* complicated. But, if you don't like the pit maybe you could
> sell it and get a coupla WSMs. Or maybe a Cookshack.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com- Hide quoted text -

If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote
>
> If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
> way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
> Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
> one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
> hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

Get a WSM if you don't want to tend the fire. If you want simpler, but more
$$ then get a Stump's Smoker. With a "Stoker", it's as close to
set-it-and-forget-it as you can get. Or, if you want the ease of operation
with no add-ons, get a Fast Eddie by Cookshack. All will produce excellent
BBQ, but the less work that you have to do, the more $$$ you will have to
spend. Except with the Weber Smokey Mountain. It's only $199 right now.

BOB
websites provided upon request

PS
I heard that there was little fire tending with a Good One??

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Traeger flavor issue (Was: Traeger Grill Temperature Problem)

> wrote:
>
> If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
> way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
> Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
> one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
> hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

I have a Traeger 075 and don't seem to have an issue with uneven temps. I
have the grill positioned so it receives almost no wind. Also live in AZ and
there have been times where the internal temperature of the grill was 160+
before even starting it (outside temp 110+, typical here in the summer). If
I set it to low ("Smoke") the temperature stays at 225-260. It creeps up to
260 during a "smoke session" and then slowly goes back down to 225 before
the next session occurs.

But I would like to know, compared to your prior experience with
non-Traegers, is what you think of the "taste" from Traeger.

I ask because I'm beginning to think that what is gained in convenience is
lost in taste. There is something about it that doesn't quite seem right.
Can't put an exact word or words to it but if I had to it would be something
like smoked lumber, with a hint of burning sawdust. Even the smoke doesn't
smell like what I've noticed in other smokers, or in most BBQ joints.

I'm hoping it's me. Tried different wood (pellets) but that "lumber" flavor
seems to remain. IIRC Traeger's pellets are 80% alder with the remaining 20%
whatever wood it is sold as. Have tried most of the flavors (not "garlic"
and "onion") and don't see much of a difference.

This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves the
flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if I use
a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as evident.
But I'm trying to get down to basics and when I go with just S&P the lumber
flavor is quite evident. Have only used Traeger pellets, nothing else.

--
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tinman" > wrote in message

> I ask because I'm beginning to think that what is gained in convenience is
> lost in taste. There is something about it that doesn't quite seem right.
> Can't put an exact word or words to it but if I had to it would be
> something like smoked lumber, with a hint of burning sawdust. Even the
> smoke doesn't smell like what I've noticed in other smokers, or in most
> BBQ joints.
>
> I'm hoping it's me.

snip
> This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves the
> flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if I
> use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as
> evident.

I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with electric
and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is just not
heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real flame. I've
had some from gas smokers that were virtually indistinguishable from wood
fired cookers, I've had it from others that had that lumber taste you speak
of.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

> "Tinman" > wrote in message
>> This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves
>> the flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if
>> I use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as
>> evident.

> I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with
> electric and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is
> just not heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real
> flame. I've had some from gas smokers that were virtually
> indistinguishable from wood fired cookers, I've had it from others that
> had that lumber taste you speak of.

I'm going to buy one last batch of pellets and see how it goes.

What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the chicken
rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't quite
understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of smoke,
would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to cover
something up <g>.

Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand. Was
never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the solution to which
costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that *begins* at 225 degrees).
For nearly the price of just that thermostat I can buy a WSM.

For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.

--
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 10, 11:45 am, "Tinman" > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> > If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
> > way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
> > Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
> > one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
> > hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

> I have a Traeger 075 and don't seem to have an issue with uneven temps. I
> have the grill positioned so it receives almost no wind. Also live in AZ and
> there have been times where the internal temperature of the grill was 160+
> before even starting it (outside temp 110+, typical here in the summer). If
> I set it to low ("Smoke") the temperature stays at 225-260. It creeps up to
> 260 during a "smoke session" and then slowly goes back down to 225 before
> the next session occurs.
>
> But I would like to know, compared to your prior experience with
> non-Traegers, is what you think of the "taste" from Traeger.
>
> I ask because I'm beginning to think that what is gained in convenience is
> lost in taste. There is something about it that doesn't quite seem right.
> Can't put an exact word or words to it but if I had to it would be something
> like smoked lumber, with a hint of burning sawdust. Even the smoke doesn't
> smell like what I've noticed in other smokers, or in most BBQ joints.
>
> I'm hoping it's me. Tried different wood (pellets) but that "lumber" flavor
> seems to remain. IIRC Traeger's pellets are 80% alder with the remaining 20%
> whatever wood it is sold as. Have tried most of the flavors (not "garlic"
> and "onion") and don't see much of a difference.
>
> This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves the
> flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed if I use
> a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly as evident.
> But I'm trying to get down to basics and when I go with just S&P the lumber
> flavor is quite evident. Have only used Traeger pellets, nothing else.
>
> --
> Mike

Mike:

I noticed the uneven temperature quite bt accident. The first probe
in my 075 was bad. It would not allow the controller to go below
235-250 degrees. Keep in mind that even though it was comtrolling at
this point, the actual temperature in the middle of the smoker was
well over 300 degrees. I verified this by using a portable probe that
was verified to be accurate. Traeger has acknowledged that the higher
you go in temperature, the more of a difference there will be from one
end to the othere of the smoker. I had hoped that there would be a
fix but that hope is fading fast.

I find the flavor, compared to the flavor that I got in meat cooked in
my GoodOne, to be lacking. I was told that the way to get that flavor
back was by smoking for a couple of hours but I do not think that it
would work. The two brisket that I have cooked on this smoker could
have achieved the same taste in the oven.

I believe that the only thing that this cooker has going for it is
convenience. You don't have to tend the fire. But if the meat
doesn't taste good I don't know of what benefit that is.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 9, 6:30 pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> wrote:
> > > [ . . . ]

> > If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
> > way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
> > Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
> > one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
> > hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

> It seemed to me that you had gotten some good suggestions from the folk
> here. If, on the other hand, you want someone to hold your hand, by all
> means, sell it. Use the money to have a nice BBQ dinner at Tony Roma's,
> where you won't have to tend the fire. Ask for extra sauce. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! !
> ~Semper Fi~

Tony Romas? I want something that I can eat, not something that
should be worn on my feet.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 9, 7:29 pm, " BOB" > wrote:
> > wrote
>

> > If I do not get some clear direction this week I will be looking for a
> > way to sell it by next weekend. As much as I hated dealing with my
> > Good-One that I sold to keep from moving, I will probably get another
> > one. It makes a fabulous brisket and the ribs are good too. I had
> > hoped to get away from having to tend the fire.

> Get a WSM if you don't want to tend the fire. If you want simpler, but more
> $$ then get a Stump's Smoker. With a "Stoker", it's as close to
> set-it-and-forget-it as you can get. Or, if you want the ease of operation
> with no add-ons, get a Fast Eddie by Cookshack. All will produce excellent
> BBQ, but the less work that you have to do, the more $$$ you will have to
> spend. Except with the Weber Smokey Mountain. It's only $199 right now.
>
> BOB
> websites provided upon request
>
> PS
> I heard that there was little fire tending with a Good One??

Yes there is but the results are very good.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tinman" > wrote in message
> What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
> smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the
> chicken rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't quite
> understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of smoke,
> would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to cover
> something up <g>.

> For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
> suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
> smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.

I was thinking about this after my last reply. I mentioned about the
temperature of the wood burning itself. I wonder if it is not heating up as
well as it should because of the very high ambient temperature you have.
Instead of a clean burn, you'd be more likely to get smoldering, thus the
lumber taste. Chicken can take high temperatures. Can you crank up the
heat higher? That may force the pellets to burn cleaner when the ambient is
110, or about 30 degrees higher that what many of us have as normal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
No Name

"Tinman" > wrote in message
> "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
>>
>> "Tinman" > wrote in message
>>> This has me puzzled since most everyone I know who has a Traeger loves
>>> the flavor. And it's not that it is terrible to me or anything. Indeed
>>> if I use a rub or other flavoring agents the "lumber" taste isn't nearly
>>> as evident.

>> I've never had anything cooked on a Traeger, but it is common with
>> electric and some gas smokers to have that lumber flavor. The wood is
>> just not heated enough to get the same clean smoke you get from a real
>> flame. I've had some from gas smokers that were virtually
>> indistinguishable from wood fired cookers, I've had it from others that
>> had that lumber taste you speak of.

> I'm going to buy one last batch of pellets and see how it goes.
>
> What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
> smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the
> chicken rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't quite
> understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of smoke,
> would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to cover
> something up <g>.
>
> Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand. Was
> never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the solution to
> which costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that *begins* at 225
> degrees). For nearly the price of just that thermostat I can buy a WSM.
>
> For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
> suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
> smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.
>

> --
> Mike

The only Traeger rub that I have with Liquid Smoke is the Salmon Shake. The
Prime Rib and Pork and Poultry do not show it. Shorter cook time on salmon?

The "Smoke" setting on both the 3-position and digital is a timed feed. It
is "set" so that the fire is not flaming when the new pellets are
introduced - thus the smoke before ignition.

The newer digitals start at 180 (I have had mine two years)

Yes, there is a difference of temps by location: coldest on LH side, hottest
in center (over the burn pot), cooler on RH side. Put your thickest portions
in the center, thin to the end.

John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

wrote:

> "Tinman" > wrote
>> Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand.
>> Was never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the
>> solution to which costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that
>> *begins* at 225 degrees). For nearly the price of just that
>> thermostat I can buy a WSM.

I just bought my Traeger 075 a couple of months ago. Bought the digital
thermostat after an overnight cook resulted in a cold smoker next morning,
with no fire.

I did some expensive steaks on it just a few nights ago. I have to say I'm
not overwhelmed by the brand, either. Next time I do a steak, it'll be on a
grill - either my Weber or my gas grill with some wood chips for the smoke.
The Traeger just doesn't get hot enough to sear a steak for me.

> The newer digitals start at 180 (I have had mine two years)

Well, I just bought mine, and it starts at 225. I'm thinking it's the old
ones that start at 180, but I don't know.

> Yes, there is a difference of temps by location: coldest on LH side,
> hottest in center (over the burn pot), cooler on RH side. Put your
> thickest portions in the center, thin to the end.

I've definitely noticed this as well. But, it seems to be only a difference
of about ten degrees or so, at least on my Texas model.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote:>
> "Tinman" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm going to buy one last batch of pellets and see how it goes.
>>
>> What I find interesting is that most, if not all, Traeger's rubs contain
>> smoke flavoring. Indeed one friend who recommended Traeger uses the
>> chicken rub on most everything. It contains smoke flavoring. I don't
>> quite understand why a wood-fueled cooker, with a seemingly abundance of
>> smoke, would need the help of added smoke flavoring... unless it's to
>> cover something up <g>.
>>
>> Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand. Was
>> never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the solution to
>> which costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that *begins* at 225
>> degrees). For nearly the price of just that thermostat I can buy a WSM.
>>
>> For the record chicken seems to impart that lumber taste the most. Yea I
>> suppose chicken ain't real Q, but I have had decent chicken cooked on a
>> smoker before--and it didn't taste like a 2x4.
>>

> The only Traeger rub that I have with Liquid Smoke is the Salmon Shake.

Yea the shakes don't seem to have much of the smoke flavoring. Even the
salmon shake I have contains no smoke. Think I bought it (salmon shake)
about 1.5 years ago.

> The Prime Rib and Pork and Poultry do not show it. Shorter cook time on
> salmon?

Of the Traeger rubs I have purchased--chicken, BBQ, sweet, and beef--only
the beef doesn't contain smoke (and I mistakenly though it did too--haven't
really used it much). Gonna avoid the "smoke added" stuff in the future.
(See below, about the ribs I cooked yesterday.)

> The "Smoke" setting on both the 3-position and digital is a timed feed. It
> is "set" so that the fire is not flaming when the new pellets are
> introduced - thus the smoke before ignition.

Thanks but I know what each setting does on the three-position switch. I
just don't find it offers the granularity that the grill needs. What I was
complaining about was having to fork over another $180 for the thermostat.

> The newer digitals start at 180 (I have had mine two years)

The photo on Traeger's Website starts at 225 degrees. When I called I
couldn't get a straight answer on exactly where it's supposed to start nor
could I get the guy to understand that "Smoke" on the thermostat thingy is
not the same as a temperature setting). If the new units do start at 180 I
might be more interested. Right now, in 100-110 degree temps, "Smoke"
setting is 225-250 degrees.

Ironically, yesterday I cooked the best spareribs I have ever made on the
Traeger (or ever, for that matter). I had been waiting on a shipment of
pellets, and I was running quite low. So I decided to cook a few racks of
ribs to burn off any remaining pellets. Didn't even think much about it.

All I did was apply a conservative amount of Pork and Poultry Shake to the
ribs--nothing else, not even S&P, were added. I wasn't sure I had enough
pellets to finish the job, so figured I'd do the best I could. Fired the
Traeger up on Medium based on a reply from Edwin, thinking it might be too
hot (I didn't care).

Turns out Medium was only around 250 degrees--and seemed to hold that temp
steadier than "Smoke." For reference, we hit 115 degrees here yesterday (the
Traeger isn't in the sun--otherwise it hits 200 without fire). When the fat
started to render the temp increased to about 275, but not much higher. Not
quite sure how the fat increased the temp as it wasn't flaring up in any
way.

Anyway, not expecting much I cooked 'em for 4 hours. Turned it down to smoke
for another 45 minutes and then wrapped 'em in foil. While removing them
from the grill I already could tell these were "done," if not a bit
overdone. I still had enough pellets to go for another two hours.

I snuck a few ribs out for tasting. For starters, they had *zero* "lumber"
flavor. Not a trace. Better yet, they didn't have even a hint of the
"bacon-like" flavor that seemed to haunt my prior ribs (my "successful"
ribs). Without a single drop of added sauce or seasoning they tasted
great--very much like the ribs I've had in decent (to me) BBQ joints. Now my
ribs were not trimmed at all and the "untrimmed" parts seemed a bit overdone
and crusty (yet tasty).

A few hours later--at dinner--they were even better. The "crusty" bits had
softened up nicely. Everything else truly and literally fell off the bone.

I think I had been over-salting ribs. Even when using nothing but S&P the
salt was just too much. I think, perhaps, this is what added some of that
bacon-like flavor.

As for the "lumber" flavor, I don't know if it was gone due to cooking over
a slightly higher heat (yet using much more fuel) or the different type of
meat. The more I think about it, the more it seems chicken has been the meat
to bring out that unwanted flavor--and I wonder how many times I'd used a
rub with smoke already in it. Regardless, I won't cook chicken (or perhaps
ribs) on Smoke as much.

Finally, the pellets that I'm getting (today) are the S&W variety. On one
hand I hope they are of better quality. On the other I fear I've changed a
variable at the *exact moment* I've gotten the best Q I have ever cooked.
Either way it does seem the Traeger is certainly capable of fantastic BBQ. I
only hope I can do it again!

--
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> "Tinman" > wrote
>>> Guess I must be the only Traeger owner not overwhelmed by the brand.
>>> Was never happy with the cheapo 3-position switch either, the
>>> solution to which costs $180 (a "digital" thermostat controller that
>>> *begins* at 225 degrees). For nearly the price of just that
>>> thermostat I can buy a WSM.

> I just bought my Traeger 075 a couple of months ago. Bought the digital
> thermostat after an overnight cook resulted in a cold smoker next morning,
> with no fire.

Indeed I read about that incident. Fortunately haven't had it happen to me
yet, at least not accidentally. Did have an incident once where I had to
leave the house while a few butts were on the Traeger, about halfway done.
Told teenage daughter to essentially leave the grill alone, but showed her
where to safely turn it off should "disaster strike." Came home hours later
to a cold grill. Apparently "smoke" was disaster enough for her and she
killed it, along with the butts.

As for your incident, I wonder what would have happened if, as luck would
have it, your electrical power *did* go out--and then back on--some time
after the Traeger lost its fire. Seems there could have been a crap load of
pellets firing up at once, should that unlikely scenario occur.

> I did some expensive steaks on it just a few nights ago. I have to say I'm
> not overwhelmed by the brand, either. Next time I do a steak, it'll be on
> a grill - either my Weber or my gas grill with some wood chips for the
> smoke. The Traeger just doesn't get hot enough to sear a steak for me.

Yep, I went through the "try to grill a steak" phase when I first got my
Traeger too (it is called a "grill" after-all <g>). And indeed I can get
mine very hot in the summer heat, especially in the sun (when the internal
temperature is above 160 degrees before turning the grill on).

But in the end I realized it was the wrong tool for the job.

I've got a TEC series CB grill now and its on the TEC burner for any steal I
cook these days. If anything, might try searing a steak and then finishing
on the Traeger for more smoke flavor.

In case you missed it, I have posted about a great experience I had with my
Traeger, just yesterday. In a nutshell, I cooked the best BBQ spareribs I've
ever done. Fantastic.

I think, for the most part, I'm going to stick to basic BBQ stuff on the
Traeger (perhaps not too much chicken either).

--
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Tinman wrote:

> As for your incident, I wonder what would have happened if, as luck
> would have it, your electrical power *did* go out--and then back
> on--some time after the Traeger lost its fire. Seems there could have
> been a crap load of pellets firing up at once, should that unlikely
> scenario occur.

Well, I'm betting the pellets would stop with the electricity, then when the
power came back on, hopefully the glow plug would fire up for its 4 minutes
and gracefully ignite the pellets as the augur fed them. If not, well,
there'd be what I found that morning - a crapload of pellets that stupid ol'
me fired up by power-cycling the Traeger.

> I've got a TEC series CB grill now and its on the TEC burner for any
> steal I cook these days. If anything, might try searing a steak and
> then finishing on the Traeger for more smoke flavor.

I'm thinking that just might be the ticket. Except for having to get two
pieces of outdoor cooking equipment uncovered, heated up, cleaned-up
afterwards, etc. Ah, but I bet the result is worth it!

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
CharGriller Smokin Pro
Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Tinman wrote:
> Ironically, yesterday I cooked the best spareribs I have ever made on
> the Traeger (or ever, for that matter).

Good deal! I'll be doing another three racks tonight for company that's
suddenly coming over. Today's our company picnic, so I just ate a cold
hamburger with cold baked beans and slightly cool potato salad. I'm ready
for some decent fare.

This will be my third time doing ribs on my Traeger. Each time, they taste a
bit better. I'm still holding out for the great ribs my Texas offset cooker
can do. Of course, that thing requires constant attention just to keep the
temperature constant. But the results are truly amazing.

So, tonight, I'll put a different rub on each rack. One will get plain old
Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Another will get Mesquite Seasoning. And a third
will get Kenrick's (local meat market) Rib Rub-my personal favorite. We'll
sit around, drink beer while the barbecue gets done, swap stories, eat too
much, go to bed late, sleep in tomorrow. It's a tough job, but we're happy
to do it!

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
CharGriller Smokin Pro
Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"EZ" wrote:
> Tinman wrote:
>
>> As for your incident, I wonder what would have happened if, as luck
>> would have it, your electrical power *did* go out--and then back
>> on--some time after the Traeger lost its fire. Seems there could have
>> been a crap load of pellets firing up at once, should that unlikely
>> scenario occur.

> Well, I'm betting the pellets would stop with the electricity, then when
> the power came back on, hopefully the glow plug would fire up for its 4
> minutes and gracefully ignite the pellets as the augur fed them.

I was thinking about the fire going out (on its own), but not the
electricity. Four hours later the power does go out, then comes back on,
starting the fire again (this time with a boat load of pellets to burn!).

> If not, well, there'd be what I found that morning - a crapload of pellets
> that stupid ol' me fired up by power-cycling the Traeger.

Aha, so it did happen after-all (but at least not unattended). I was
concerned that burning such a large number of pellets might be a problem.
Guess it's better than a similar situation occurring with gas...

>> I've got a TEC series CB grill now and its on the TEC burner for any
>> steal I cook these days. If anything, might try searing a steak and
>> then finishing on the Traeger for more smoke flavor.

> I'm thinking that just might be the ticket. Except for having to get two
> pieces of outdoor cooking equipment uncovered, heated up, cleaned-up
> afterwards, etc. Ah, but I bet the result is worth it!

You betcha. The thing with steaks is that they are damned expensive to
practice on these days. And when you screw it up it's done. Most of my
"bad Q" was still pretty darned good, even if as leftovers (your lost-fire
incident duly noted).

I almost tried the sear-then-smoke, or perhaps smoke-then-sear, technique a
few weeks ago with some very nice thickly-cut aged filets. But in the end I
chickened out--no pun!!!--and seared 'em on the red-hot TEC burner,
finishing on low on a regular gas burner. One of these days...

--
Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> IIRC, Traegers can go quite high, using either the middle or high
> setting on the 3-way switch.
> From Traeger's site:
> SETTING TEMP AUGER TIMING PELLET CONSUMPTION
> High 425 - 450 F Always On 2 lbs/hr
> Medium 300 - 325 F On 2 Min, Off 2 1 lb/hr
> Smoke 180 - 220 F On 1 Min, Off 3 1/2 lb/hr
>
> Be interesting to see how chicken came out at either of the higher
> temps.

OK, that on/off cycle may contribute to the "lumber" smell. It may not get
hot enough for a clean burn of the pellets. Just like using wood that
smolders.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> IIRC, Traegers can go quite high, using either the middle or high
> setting on the 3-way switch.
> From Traeger's site:
> SETTING TEMP AUGER TIMING PELLET CONSUMPTION
> High 425 - 450 F Always On 2 lbs/hr
> Medium 300 - 325 F On 2 Min, Off 2 1 lb/hr
> Smoke 180 - 220 F On 1 Min, Off 3 1/2 lb/hr

Yeah, but that's not even close to what the grate temp is on a gas grill
using direct heat right above the fire. Or on a Weber, for that matter. All
Traeger's use indirect heat. There's a solid chunk of U-shaped steel right
above the firebox to deflect the heat. And above that is a long, sloped
chunk of steel nearly as long and wide as the grill itself, to further keep
the heat away from the grates. The heat that does get there mostly gets
there around those two pieces of steel, reflecting off the insides of the
cooker. Yes, there's *some* heat right in the middle of the cooker that's
radiating off the firebox through those two pieces of steel, but it's barely
enough to make light grill marks.

Tonight I did a few Omaha Steak hamburger patties. That's about the only
meat I haven't done so far on it. I had to fire up the Traeger for a solid
15-20 minutes to get it above 400 degrees F. The patties were partially
frozen, but it still took 20 minutes to get them up to 160 degrees internal.
That's 40 minutes to get a hamburger! On my gas grill, warmup time would be
5 minutes and cook time would be less than 10.

So, yes, color me a Traeger owner who is not as enamoured of his Traeger as
many other Traeger afficianados are. Don't get me wrong - I have had
excellent slow-smoked barbecue off the Traeger. And chicken and fish are
great - very flavorful, moist and just smoky enough to be interesting. And
never burned! But as a grill for steaks and burgers, it just doesn't get hot
enough.

So, while I cook on the Traeger more than any other of my six pieces of
outdoor equipment, I think I'll be reverting to the actual grills for
burgers and steaks.

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"
CharGriller Smokin Pro
Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Wide Body
CharmGlow 3-burner All-Stainless Gas Grill
Weber Kettle One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Kettle Smoky Joe Silver 14-1/2"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Temperature Problem - digital thermostat reads 32 all the time

Digital thermostat reads 32 all the time now€¦ Even while cooking on high heat. I bought a new RTD and replaced it but the issue was not solved the grill is either on high or smoke when I turn the knob regardless of the temperature