Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

Default How to clean charcoal grill without killing plants?

Hi all,

I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Abe" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
> cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?
>
> Thanks.

Simple Green

Non-Toxic, Biodegradable!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
> cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?

elbow grease

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Abe Abe is offline

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:55:24 -0700, "Andrew Soto" >
wrote:

>"Abe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
>> cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Simple Green
>
>Non-Toxic, Biodegradable!

Thanks for the suggestion
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Abe" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:55:24 -0700, "Andrew Soto" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Abe" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
>>> cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>Simple Green
>>
>>Non-Toxic, Biodegradable!
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion

They also make a BBQ foam that works well!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Abe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
> cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?
>
> Thanks.

Fire! Throw a buncha stuff (wood type stuff) in the kettle and get it
blazing. Before it gets to be too big a blaze, put the grill rack in place.

Bluto©

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bluto wrote:
> Abe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
>> cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?

A good start on cleaning is to load in the charcoal and get it going as
hot as you can- damper fully open. Then, place a layer of aluminum foil
on the top side of the rack and poke a few holes in it for ventilation.
Put the rack in place, and let it go. The foil will reflect the IR
from the burning charcoal back downward and will raise the temperature
between the rack and coals to a point where it will hopefully burn off a
lot of the crud. This works great with a gas grill and pretty good with
a direct charcoal grill as well.

---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by
trying to make others appear shorter.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Jun-2007, "Bluto" > wrote:

> Abe wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
> > cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Fire! Throw a buncha stuff (wood type stuff) in the kettle and get it
> blazing. Before it gets to be too big a blaze, put the grill rack in place.
>
> Bluto©

I clean my offset (New Braunfels Silver) every couple of years by building
a fire in the smoke chamber and just let it heat up with the vents wide
open. You can do the same with your kettle. Somewhere above 500°F
it will burn all the S#$@ off of it leaving it clean as a whistle. (Or what
TFM® said)

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:13:14 -0700, Abe wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Weber 22" kettle in the backyard that really needs to be
> > cleaned. What cleaning agent can I use that won't harm my shrubs?

> Clean a grill? That's where all the flavor lies.
>
> -sw

Probably puts cast iron and the wok in the dishwasher?

BOB