Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default what do you do with the ash from your burns?

Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
vegetable and flower gardens?

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

> Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
> natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
> in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
> vegetable and flower gardens?
>
> --
> Steve

It depends. The ashes will raise the pH, making the soil more alkaline. If
you have an area with, say azalias an acid loving plant, then keep the ashes
away.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>> Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
>> natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
>> in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
>> vegetable and flower gardens?
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> It depends. The ashes will raise the pH, making the soil more alkaline. If
> you have an area with, say azalias an acid loving plant, then keep the ashes
> away.
>
> BOB

Thanks Bob. Sounds like a soil analyzer is in order.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
> natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
> in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
> vegetable and flower gardens?

I don't know if it helps the plants, but that's what we do. Our plants are
still growing. I don't know if it helps, but that's the only place we can
put the ashes.

Despite the fact we're in Tropical Storm Barry and under a tornado watch
until 3:00 pm this afternoon, we're going to BBQ a pork picnic using some
new lump we received from our cousin yesterday. Wicked Good Charcoal
Hardwood Lump. Pix posted to alt.binaries.food.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>> Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
>> natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
>> in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
>> vegetable and flower gardens?
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> It depends. The ashes will raise the pH, making the soil more
> alkaline. If you have an area with, say azalias an acid loving
> plant, then keep the ashes away.
>
> BOB

We toss ours by our gardenias and they're doing okay.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 2, 4:32 am, Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
> natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
> in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
> vegetable and flower gardens?

Ashes on the ground makes your soil more alkaline and only plants that
like alkaline soils will thrive in it. I put my hardwood lump ash in
the compost pile and let the microherd neutralize it.

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nate 2.0 wrote:
> On Jun 2, 4:32 am, Steve Calvin > wrote:
>> Another thread got me to wondering about that. I burn only
>> natural hardwood lump and have been just dumping the ashes
>> in the garbage. Would I be better off spreading it on my
>> vegetable and flower gardens?

> Ashes on the ground makes your soil more alkaline and only plants that
> like alkaline soils will thrive in it. I put my hardwood lump ash in
> the compost pile and let the microherd neutralize it.
>
> Aloha,
>
> Nathan Lau
> San Jose, CA

Thanks all.

Kili,

Thankfully it looks like you didn't get hit too badly. If
it put out TFM's fire, just give 'em a beer. ;-)

--
Steve