Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default New Weber 18 1/2 Siver- Where to put thermometer Help please!

My son gave me a Weber 18 1/2 inch kettle for my birthday! Ok 2 questions:

1 What kind of outside reading thermometer(please very available types)
would you use?
2. Where on the lid would you put it?

TIA _Fred

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

FredP wrote:
> My son gave me a Weber 18 1/2 inch kettle for my birthday! Ok 2
> questions:
> 1 What kind of outside reading thermometer(please very available
> types) would you use?
> 2. Where on the lid would you put it?
>
> TIA _Fred

Don't put one on the lid. Go to Target and buy a Taylor probe thermometer.
Drill a hole lengthwise in a wine cork (has to be "real" cork, not that new
imitation plastic stuff). Push the probe through the cork so you see an inch
or so sticking out. When you're grillin' on your Weber, set the cork and
probe on the grill itself so the probe is in the air, not touching the
grill. And don't attach the meter to the Weber by means of its magnetic
mounts - you'll melt the whole thing. Set it on a table a foot or so from
your Weber.

Then, have fun. This all works best if you want to do indirect cooking, with
the coals on one side and the meat on the other. The probe goes on the side
with the meat. And, as you probably have guessed, you can use this same pit
thermometer on *any* grill or smoker you have, no modifications necessary!

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FredP wrote:
> My son gave me a Weber 18 1/2 inch kettle for my birthday! Ok 2
> questions:
> 1 What kind of outside reading thermometer(please very available
> types) would you use?
> 2. Where on the lid would you put it?

For bbq temps 200 - 290, here's a couple of pics:

A couple of probe-style thermometers
http://i16.tinypic.com/54bd7x1.jpg

How I set them on the grill next to the meat
http://i7.tinypic.com/6bu2vjk.jpg

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> FredP wrote:
>> My son gave me a Weber 18 1/2 inch kettle for my birthday! Ok 2
>> questions:
>> 1 What kind of outside reading thermometer(please very available
>> types) would you use?
>> 2. Where on the lid would you put it?

> For bbq temps 200 - 290, here's a couple of pics:
>
> A couple of probe-style thermometers
> http://i16.tinypic.com/54bd7x1.jpg
>
> How I set them on the grill next to the meat
> http://i7.tinypic.com/6bu2vjk.jpg
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Thanks to all of you for responding! Duh.... I didn't think to use my oven
Pyrex probe thermometer! Hmm... let see do they make hickory/oak/cherry
clothespins!
_Fred

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:57:16 GMT, FredP wrote:

>>> For bbq temps 200 - 290, here's a couple of pics:
>>>
>>> A couple of probe-style thermometers
>>> http://i16.tinypic.com/54bd7x1.jpg
>>>
>>> How I set them on the grill next to the meat
>>> http://i7.tinypic.com/6bu2vjk.jpg
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dave
>>> www.davebbq.com
>>>

>> Thanks to all of you for responding! Duh.... I didn't think to use my
>> oven
>> Pyrex probe thermometer! Hmm... let see do they make hickory/oak/cherry
>> clothespins!

> I don't think the Pyrex thermometer goes past 220F, or so.
> Maybe it's another brand I'm thinking of. I own it, just don't
> know where it is right now.
>
> -sw

The Pyrex I own is just liike the remote internal thermometers mentioned in
this thread. It would be just fine. Tonight I broke the Weber in on a
couple of 1 1/2+ inch ribeyes... Since I was a nubie, looking at the coals
I heated I thought "gees... why so many(per Weber booklette)" so cut back
to maybe 1/2 of what was quoted for a direct heat. I was cooking two 1
lb'r's only.. Well it took more time and I was worried they would come out
to rare because of the lack of smoking coming from the kettle. Well after
doing the polk scenario I said they looked done. Yep, they were and tasted
great! Got a big thumbs up from my 10th Mountain Division Army son!!!!
I'm happy!
_Fred

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yetanotherBob wrote:
> In article <HF67i.3142$J76.2773@trndny03>,
> says...
>> My son gave me a Weber 18 1/2 inch kettle for my birthday! Ok 2
>> questions:
>>
>> 1 What kind of outside reading thermometer(please very available
>> types) would you use?
>> 2. Where on the lid would you put it?
>>
>> TIA _Fred
>>

> You could get one of those mag-mount thermometers sold for use with
> wood stoves and plop it down somewhere high on the lid where it won't
> burn your knuckles when you lift the lid. Or, you could get a cheap,
> short- stem replacement gas grill lid thermometer from the hardware
> store, and just drop it into one of the vent holes in the Weber lid.
> A more expensive approach would be to use one of those IR remote
> thermometers.
>
> I've never found a thermometer to be of very much use on a Weber
> kettle, so I wouldn't drill through the lid to mount one permanently.
> The nice porcelain finish on the Weber kettle grills is a big reason
> for their longevity. Any holes or chips in that finish will only
> hasten rusting of the steel underneath.
>
> Bob

My thoughts exactly. I hesitated in responding to this thread until I'd
felt the water, so to speak.

Don't drill a Weber, and there's really no need for a thermometer on a
grill. If you're smoking on a grill you should either be qualified to do so
or insane. I'm both.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> How I set them on the grill next to the meat
> http://i7.tinypic.com/6bu2vjk.jpg

Very clean grates Dave! Exemplary!

Now just for shits and giggles, can someone, anyone explain to me exactly
how the metal grates can somehow be hotter than the air in the cooker?

While you're at it, explain the magnetic properties of probes and grates
that disallow contact between the two.

Please, no bullshit about radiant heat directly above coals, because a
thermometer would be absolutely useless in said situation.

I just want to know how in a 250 degree cooker the grate can become hot
enough to damage a probe rated for 384 degrees.....

Been waiting for years,
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> And i have one thats "just like" the oPolders and Taylors
> mentioned in this thread. Except that it doesn't measure temps
> above 210F or so.

The O'Polders are made in Ireland and are prone to wild inaccuracies
depending on relative humidity and time of day.

My Polder and my Taylor both peg on the high end at 384. (Oops, just looked
and it's 392). They read down to 32.

I almost can't believe that when I pulled my ancient Polder out of the
drawer to check it's specs that it is *STILL* on and running. They don't
have an on/off switch ya know.

This is my first probe therm ever. It's been left outside in a large
measuring cup on top of the cooker, snowed on, snow melted...sitting
underwater for months at a time. There is not a more abused thermometer on
the planet and By God this mother is still ticking!

I'll put a pic up on ABF just for the Hell of it.

I really tried to beat this thing to death, but it just won't die.

Guessing it to be close to a dozen years old,
TFM® - Oh, and it's only on it's *second* battery!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 3, 5:08 pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 15:38:36 -0500, "The Fat Man®" <Sauk Pimp @ The
>
> Corner.org> wrote:
> > If you're smoking on a grill you should either be qualified to do so
> >or insane. I'm both.

> Now there's a sig line.
>
> -denny-
> --
>
> The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
> The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

I just bought a Weber One Touch Gold (22") and for $9.99 I got a
thermometer that sits right on top of the cooking grill. I just put
it there on top of the grill next to what I'm cooking. Sure you have
to open the top to see the temp but no biggie, you'll do that anyway
to baste or mop.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I just bought a Weber One Touch Gold (22") and for $9.99 I got a
thermometer that sits right on top of the cooking grill. I just put
it there on top of the grill next to what I'm cooking. Sure you have
to open the top to see the temp but no biggie, you'll do that anyway
to baste or mop.

May I ask where you find a Weber 22" for 9,99??? I live in Norway, and they
cost a bloody fortune......
Luckily, we've got internet, and can import....

Regards,
Håvard

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Håvard Kalve" > skrev i melding

> I just bought a Weber One Touch Gold (22") and for $9.99 I got a
> thermometer that sits right on top of the cooking grill. I just put
> it there on top of the grill next to what I'm cooking. Sure you have
> to open the top to see the temp but no biggie, you'll do that anyway
> to baste or mop.
>
> May I ask where you find a Weber 22" for 9,99??? I live in Norway, and
> they cost a bloody fortune......
> Luckily, we've got internet, and can import....
>
> Regards,
> Håvard

Sorry for stating it was a 22".....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Håvard Kalve wrote:
> "Håvard Kalve" > skrev i melding
>>
>> I just bought a Weber One Touch Gold (22") and for $9.99 I got a
>> thermometer that sits right on top of the cooking grill. I just put
>> it there on top of the grill next to what I'm cooking. Sure you have
>> to open the top to see the temp but no biggie, you'll do that anyway
>> to baste or mop.

You can use a remote probe thermometer that doesn't require the lid to be
lifted.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com