Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Barbecue Grills

I'm reading a lot of interesting stuff about smoking on this group. We
don't do much of that in the UK. It could be something to do with the
weather, which is a bit unreliable, even in summer. So barbecues are
often arranged on the spur of the moment and the grill is a lot easier
to get going with whatever we've got in the fridge or can buy
quickly.

However I will be trying out some smoking on unsuspecting friends and
family fairly soon.

Mostly I use a weber, which gives me a lot of control and lets me cook
indirectly if I choose. But I've recently bought a Cobb, which is more
of an oven and should be better for some of the smoking methods I've
read about here.

I'll let you know how it goes.

John
www.morgans-net.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"John Morgan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm reading a lot of interesting stuff about smoking on this group. We
> don't do much of that in the UK. It could be something to do with the
> weather, which is a bit unreliable, even in summer. So barbecues are
> often arranged on the spur of the moment and the grill is a lot easier
> to get going with whatever we've got in the fridge or can buy
> quickly.

The word barbecue is lost in translation, John. What we refer to as barbecue
is known as grilling in the US. What we know as grilling, is refered to as
broiling. If you hang around long enough you'll soon pick up the lingo.

> However I will be trying out some smoking on unsuspecting friends and
> family fairly soon.
>
> Mostly I use a weber, which gives me a lot of control and lets me cook
> indirectly if I choose. But I've recently bought a Cobb, which is more
> of an oven and should be better for some of the smoking methods I've
> read about here.

I'm not familiar with the Cobb, but the illustrations on their website look
favourable (you might have to make a few mods to assist with temperature
control.)

The best advice I can give is this. Get yourself some good quality charcoal.
The Big K Restaurant Grade is superb and is well worth hunting down (Free
delivery within M25).

If you want some different smoking woods, drop me a mail off-line with your
postal address and I'll mail you a few different sorts.

> I'll let you know how it goes.

Watching this space closely.

Graeme....FWIW, barbecue in the US is what we refer to as hot-smoking

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14 May, 11:28, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:
> "John Morgan" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > I'm reading a lot of interesting stuff about smoking on this group. We
> > don't do much of that in the UK. It could be something to do with the
> > weather, which is a bit unreliable, even in summer. So barbecues are
> > often arranged on the spur of the moment and the grill is a lot easier
> > to get going with whatever we've got in the fridge or can buy
> > quickly.

> The word barbecue is lost in translation, John. What we refer to as barbecue
> is known as grilling in the US. What we know as grilling, is refered to as
> broiling. If you hang around long enough you'll soon pick up the lingo.
>
> > However I will be trying out some smoking on unsuspecting friends and
> > family fairly soon.

> > Mostly I use a weber, which gives me a lot of control and lets me cook
> > indirectly if I choose. But I've recently bought a Cobb, which is more
> > of an oven and should be better for some of the smoking methods I've
> > read about here.

> I'm not familiar with the Cobb, but the illustrations on their website look
> favourable (you might have to make a few mods to assist with temperature
> control.)
>
> The best advice I can give is this. Get yourself some good quality charcoal.
> The Big K Restaurant Grade is superb and is well worth hunting down (Free
> delivery within M25).
>
> If you want some different smoking woods, drop me a mail off-line with your
> postal address and I'll mail you a few different sorts.
>
> > I'll let you know how it goes.

> Watching this space closely.
>
> Graeme....FWIW, barbecue in the US is what we refer to as hot-smoking

We could produce a dictionary explaining what all the different terms
are so we can all understand each other.

More seriously though, I would be interested in where I can get some
woodchips other than the mixed boxes we find in the supermarkets. I
live in South Wales, so London stores aren't much help, but if you
know where I can get some mail order I'd be interested.

John
www.morgans-net.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"John Morgan" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> More seriously though, I would be interested in where I can get some
> woodchips other than the mixed boxes we find in the supermarkets. I
> live in South Wales, so London stores aren't much help, but if you
> know where I can get some mail order I'd be interested.

Try having a word with a local tree surgeon. They spend their lives cutting
down trees of various sorts and wouldn't mind giving you an assortment. If
you ask them nicely, they might even put it through their chipping machine.

Another option is to source a local cabinet maker. They use different hard
woods and will gladly give you off-cuts and scraps that they have no further
use for (just make sure it's not been treated beforehand).

I have some whisky staves (whole and chipped), pear, apple, plum, ash and
horse chestnut to hand and can post a selection box off to you. It's better
to use a fist sized chunk wrapped in foil (with a few pinholes for the smoke
to escape) rather than chips. Chips burn way too fast and the re-loading is
a PITA.

All of the above three options are FOC.

Graeme....awaiting a delivery of some cherry and walnut...from a friendly
tree surgeon

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Graeme...in London wrote:

> I have some whisky

What?

Sorry, you caught my ear with that. The rest kind of faded. I'll Google to
see what you said.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"The Fat Man$B%g(B" > wrote in message
> Graeme...in London wrote:
>
> > I have some whisky

> What?
>
> Sorry, you caught my ear with that. The rest kind of faded. I'll Google

> see what you said.

I've recently started a whisky diet.

So far I've lost 3 days!!

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Graeme...in London wrote:
> "The Fat Man$B%g(B" > wrote in message
>> Graeme...in London wrote:
>>
>>> I have some whisky

>> What?
>>
>> Sorry, you caught my ear with that. The rest kind of faded. I'll
>> Google to see what you said.

> I've recently started a whisky diet.
>
> So far I've lost 3 days!!
>
> Graeme

Congratulations! (But I don't think you'll remember this.) <g>

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17 May, 14:01, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:
> "John Morgan" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > More seriously though, I would be interested in where I can get some
> > woodchips other than the mixed boxes we find in the supermarkets. I
> > live in South Wales, so London stores aren't much help, but if you
> > know where I can get some mail order I'd be interested.

> Try having a word with a local tree surgeon. They spend their lives cutting
> down trees of various sorts and wouldn't mind giving you an assortment. If
> you ask them nicely, they might even put it through their chipping machine.
>
> Another option is to source a local cabinet maker. They use different hard
> woods and will gladly give you off-cuts and scraps that they have no further
> use for (just make sure it's not been treated beforehand).
>
> I have some whisky staves (whole and chipped), pear, apple, plum, ash and
> horse chestnut to hand and can post a selection box off to you. It's better
> to use a fist sized chunk wrapped in foil (with a few pinholes for the smoke
> to escape) rather than chips. Chips burn way too fast and the re-loading is
> a PITA.
>
> All of the above three options are FOC.
>
> Graeme....awaiting a delivery of some cherry and walnut...from a friendly
> tree surgeon

Thanks Graeme, I'll give it a go

John
www.morgans-net.com

Taking a crack at defining and explalinin barbecue was Simple barbecue sauce Chris Malme Barbecue 0 30-09-2011 10:29 AM
Gas Grills. mike Barbecue 1 14-01-2006 12:20 PM
building barbecue grills Robbie Barbecue 2 07-07-2005 12:49 PM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Cooking Equipment 5 10-11-2003 06:02 PM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Barbecue 3 08-11-2003 09:25 PM