Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smokin' beef ribs

Ok guys.. I'm hoping some of you can clue me in on beef ribs and how long
they should be typically smoked.. I did some last night and left them on my
Kamado for a solid 5 hours with temps in the 200-230 range for the majority
of the time. I probably should have kept the temps closer to 275 I'd guess.
Anyway, I found that some of the beef ribs were almost (but not quite) bloody
near the bone on some of the thicker ribs (2.5-3" thick) and not horribly
tender -- probably because they didn't hit that suite spot when the cartilage
starts breaking down.. I'm thinking next time that they ought to cook for
at least 6-7 hours since they're considerably thicker than pork ribs (spares
,etc).. Comments?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-05-08, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 07 May 2007 18:10:09 GMT, Rick F. wrote:
>
>> Ok guys.. I'm hoping some of you can clue me in on beef ribs and how long
>> they should be typically smoked.. I did some last night and left them on my
>> Kamado for a solid 5 hours with temps in the 200-230 range for the majority
>> of the time. I probably should have kept the temps closer to 275 I'd guess.
>> Anyway, I found that some of the beef ribs were almost (but not quite) bloody
>> near the bone on some of the thicker ribs (2.5-3" thick) and not horribly
>> tender -- probably because they didn't hit that suite spot when the cartilage
>> starts breaking down.. I'm thinking next time that they ought to cook for
>> at least 6-7 hours since they're considerably thicker than pork ribs (spares
>> ,etc).. Comments?

> You smoked too low. Beef ribs 250-270 for 6 hours or so. Depends
> on the ribs.

Thanks.. I'll give it a try next time I do them.. I really need to start a BBQ
diary to write down all of my mistakes (and successes) to make sure I know how
to reproduce BBQ'd XYZ (or what not to do next time).. Anyone do this or do
you remember every litle detail about every cook & rub used?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 07 May 2007 18:10:09 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:

>Ok guys.. I'm hoping some of you can clue me in on beef ribs and how long
>they should be typically smoked.. I did some last night and left them on my
>Kamado for a solid 5 hours with temps in the 200-230 range for the majority
>of the time. I probably should have kept the temps closer to 275 I'd guess.
>Anyway, I found that some of the beef ribs were almost (but not quite) bloody
>near the bone on some of the thicker ribs (2.5-3" thick) and not horribly
>tender -- probably because they didn't hit that suite spot when the cartilage
>starts breaking down.. I'm thinking next time that they ought to cook for
>at least 6-7 hours since they're considerably thicker than pork ribs (spares
>,etc).. Comments?

I'm no expert when it comes to smoking beef ribs. The only way I have
been able top get them to be tender is to brine them over night first
and then smoke them till done.I go higher on the sugar than the salt
for beef ribs. I go for about 225. How long depends on how big/thick
they are.

I have also braised them and then finished them on the grill over wook
chips, but I like the brine method better.

Hope this helps. Like I said, I'm no expert on beef ribs.

Anyone else wanna help out here?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:09:04 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

Snip

>You smoked too low. Beef ribs 250-270 for 6 hours or so. Depends
>on the ribs.
>
>-sw

Have to try that. Guess my heat was too low.
Thanks Steve!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 08 May 2007 20:27:44 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:

snip
>Thanks.. I'll give it a try next time I do them.. I really need to start a BBQ
>diary to write down all of my mistakes (and successes) to make sure I know how
>to reproduce BBQ'd XYZ (or what not to do next time).. Anyone do this or do
>you remember every litle detail about every cook & rub used?

I try to keep a log on my puter but I don't stick with it very well. I
love my rub and have that written down somewhere. I spent years trying
to get that the way I like it. For me the big deal of getting my rub
right was NOT what I was puttin in it. It was the proportions of each
thing!

I don't track time when I cue very well. It's hard for me to say
"smoke at 230 for 6 hours" because I really don't care too much about
time. I don't cue to a stop clock. I allow all day for a cue. If I'm
havin folks over for cue I tellem "come at noon, we will eat when it's
done", even if I started smokin at 5 a.m.. I do have snacks and fire
up the grill to keep people from starving. But the grill goes out
about 3-4 hours before I think the cue will be done. That includes
"rest" and "pull" time as needed.

Don't get me wrong, I have a general idea when I start as to the time
it will be done. But this is art for me, not science. I never tasted
science that tasted very good

BTW, I eat my mistakes. ALWAYS. That way I get a real incentive to do
better next time

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:49:19 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

snip
>I may have been a little high in my estimate. Keep it around 250.
>And they'll be done when they're done. I ahev done them
>successfully at 275, but it's been a while since I've cooked
>regular beef ribs (I only do short ribs anymore).
>
>-sw

Thanks for the correction Steve.

Why only short ribs now?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-05-08, VegA > wrote:
> On 08 May 2007 20:27:44 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:
>
> BTW, I eat my mistakes. ALWAYS. That way I get a real incentive to do
> better next time

Last time I did beef ribs, I tried to do them a bit more on the hot-n-fast
side and ended up with at least one rib that when bitten into squirted out
blood on the table.. Eww! Didn't taste good either.. I'm only going to make
that mistake ONCE!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-May-2007, "Rick F." > wrote:

> On 2007-05-08, VegA > wrote:
> > On 08 May 2007 20:27:44 GMT, "Rick F." >
> > wrote:
> >
> > BTW, I eat my mistakes. ALWAYS. That way I get a real
> > incentive to do
> > better next time

> Last time I did beef ribs, I tried to do them a bit more
> on the hot-n-fast
> side and ended up with at least one rib that when bitten
> into squirted out
> blood on the table.. Eww! Didn't taste good either.. I'm
> only going to make
> that mistake ONCE!

I did 4.5# of Smithfield Beef Back Ribs on Feb 10, this
year.
I didn't watch them close enough and they got overdone at
four hours. I did 11# (3 slabs) of spares and a 7.6# pork
shoulder roast (Butt) at the same time.

I took the butt off at 5 hours and the bone pulled out with
just
slight effort. I served the whole mess to fifteen hungry
Puerto
Ricans along with yellow rice, Puerto Rican beans and my
BBQ beans kicked up with some ground chipotle. I garone
damn T there were no raw parts to be found. I'm getting
careless in my dotage. The day of the La Hoya fight I
incinerated a half dozen chicken thighs and then under
cooked 3 slabs of spares. The Puerto Ricans loved them,
but they all still have good teeth.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick, how do you handle mixtures when there are thick, thin and fatty
parts of the meat?

Nonny

wrote:
> On 9-May-2007, "Rick F." > wrote:
>
>> On 2007-05-08, VegA > wrote:
>>> On 08 May 2007 20:27:44 GMT, "Rick F." >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, I eat my mistakes. ALWAYS. That way I get a real
>>> incentive to do
>>> better next time

>> Last time I did beef ribs, I tried to do them a bit more
>> on the hot-n-fast
>> side and ended up with at least one rib that when bitten
>> into squirted out
>> blood on the table.. Eww! Didn't taste good either.. I'm
>> only going to make
>> that mistake ONCE!

> I did 4.5# of Smithfield Beef Back Ribs on Feb 10, this
> year.
> I didn't watch them close enough and they got overdone at
> four hours. I did 11# (3 slabs) of spares and a 7.6# pork
> shoulder roast (Butt) at the same time.
>
> I took the butt off at 5 hours and the bone pulled out with
> just
> slight effort. I served the whole mess to fifteen hungry
> Puerto
> Ricans along with yellow rice, Puerto Rican beans and my
> BBQ beans kicked up with some ground chipotle. I garone
> damn T there were no raw parts to be found. I'm getting
> careless in my dotage. The day of the La Hoya fight I
> incinerated a half dozen chicken thighs and then under
> cooked 3 slabs of spares. The Puerto Ricans loved them,
> but they all still have good teeth.

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 08 May 2007 15:53:00 -0600, VegA wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2007 15:49:19 -0500, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>I may have been a little high in my estimate. Keep it
>>around 250.
>>And they'll be done when they're done. I ahev done them
>>successfully at 275, but it's been a while since I've
>>cooked
>>regular beef ribs (I only do short ribs anymore).

> Thanks for the correction Steve.
>
> Why only short ribs now?

Because they meat cutters have gotten too adept at getting
every
last speck of meat off of regular racks of ribs. You have
to pay
extra for ones with meat on them. Hence, short ribs.

-sw

Maybe someone will enlighten me. The beef ribs I get are
Smith-
field brand labeled "Beef Back Ribs". The slabs are about
twelve
inches long and the ribs are about 4 inches or so. They
always
have plenty of meat on them. If I had a complaint, it would
be
about how sloppy they are to eat. They're real rich and very

sloppy to eat but, damn they are good. The last batch cost
$1.52/#

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-May-2007, Nonnymus >

> >> Last time I did beef ribs, I tried to do them a bit
> >> more
> >> on the hot-n-fast
> >> side and ended up with at least one rib that when
> >> bitten
> >> into squirted out
> >> blood on the table.. Eww! Didn't taste good either..
> >> I'm
> >> only going to make
> >> that mistake ONCE!

> > I did 4.5# of Smithfield Beef Back Ribs on Feb 10, this
> > year.
> > I didn't watch them close enough and they got overdone
> > at
> > four hours. I did 11# (3 slabs) of spares and a 7.6#
> > pork
> > shoulder roast (Butt) at the same time.
> >
> > I took the butt off at 5 hours and the bone pulled out
> > with
> > just
> > slight effort. I served the whole mess to fifteen hungry
> > Puerto
> > Ricans along with yellow rice, Puerto Rican beans and my
> > BBQ beans kicked up with some ground chipotle. I garone
> > damn T there were no raw parts to be found. I'm getting
> > careless in my dotage. The day of the La Hoya fight I
> > incinerated a half dozen chicken thighs and then under
> > cooked 3 slabs of spares. The Puerto Ricans loved them,
> > but they all still have good teeth.
> >

> Brick, how do you handle mixtures when there are thick,
> thin and fatty
> parts of the meat?
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

I may not understand your question correctly Nonny, but I'll

give it a shot.

The post that you responded to described a cook containing
three different cuts of meat, each requiring a different
cooking
time. In that case however, no individual piece had both a
thick
and thin part nor a combination of fat and lean parts. So,
it's
simply a problem of taking the separate parts off as they
get
done leaving the rest to finish.

The only cut of meat I know of that corresponds to your
description would be a packer cut brisket. In a pit like
mine
I place them in the pit with the thick (Point) end closest
the firebox. That way the thick and thinner parts will
finish
more closely together. I have been known to separate the
flat from the point and cook them separately. that works
too and after it's all butchered and on the platter, no one
will ever know the difference. Though I have been around
some, I don't know how the real pitmasters do it. I just
never paid enough attention.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-May-2007, VegA > wrote:

> On 07 May 2007 18:10:09 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:
>
> >Ok guys.. I'm hoping some of you can clue me in on beef ribs and how long
> >they should be typically smoked.. I did some last night and left them on
> >my
> >Kamado for a solid 5 hours with temps in the 200-230 range for the
> >majority
> >of the time. I probably should have kept the temps closer to 275 I'd
> >guess.
> >Anyway, I found that some of the beef ribs were almost (but not quite)
> >bloody
> >near the bone on some of the thicker ribs (2.5-3" thick) and not horribly
> >
> >tender -- probably because they didn't hit that suite spot when the
> >cartilage
> >starts breaking down.. I'm thinking next time that they ought to cook for
> >
> >at least 6-7 hours since they're considerably thicker than pork ribs
> >(spares
> >,etc).. Comments?
> >

> I'm no expert when it comes to smoking beef ribs. The only way I have
> been able top get them to be tender is to brine them over night first
> and then smoke them till done.I go higher on the sugar than the salt
> for beef ribs. I go for about 225. How long depends on how big/thick
> they are.
>
> I have also braised them and then finished them on the grill over wook
> chips, but I like the brine method better.
>
> Hope this helps. Like I said, I'm no expert on beef ribs.
>
> Anyone else wanna help out here?

"Beef Ribs" covers some territory. I cook "Beef Back Ribs". They're
four to five inches long and come in racks about like spareribs. 275°F
is a good temperature to shoot for. Mine get done in four hours or less.
When I say done, I mean sloppy, greasy all the way to the bone. They'll
be shrunk back an inch or more when they're done. Them's good eats.
We really like them at my house. They're very rich. They have great flavor
and the main drawback is the need for a bib to eat them. The better ones
are really sloppy to eat.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-May-2007, "Rick F." > wrote:

> On 2007-05-08, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> > On 07 May 2007 18:10:09 GMT, Rick F. wrote:
> >
> >> Ok guys.. I'm hoping some of you can clue me in on beef ribs and how
> >> long
> >> they should be typically smoked.. I did some last night and left them
> >> on my
> >> Kamado for a solid 5 hours with temps in the 200-230 range for the
> >> majority
> >> of the time. I probably should have kept the temps closer to 275 I'd
> >> guess.
> >> Anyway, I found that some of the beef ribs were almost (but not quite)
> >> bloody
> >> near the bone on some of the thicker ribs (2.5-3" thick) and not
> >> horribly
> >> tender -- probably because they didn't hit that suite spot when the
> >> cartilage
> >> starts breaking down.. I'm thinking next time that they ought to cook
> >> for
> >> at least 6-7 hours since they're considerably thicker than pork ribs
> >> (spares
> >> ,etc).. Comments?

> > You smoked too low. Beef ribs 250-270 for 6 hours or so. Depends
> > on the ribs.

> Thanks.. I'll give it a try next time I do them.. I really need to start a
> BBQ
> diary to write down all of my mistakes (and successes) to make sure I know
> how
> to reproduce BBQ'd XYZ (or what not to do next time).. Anyone do this or
> do
> you remember every litle detail about every cook & rub used?

I kept a log for several years and still document the odd cook once in a
while. The first couple of years it was my most valuable tool. I kept me
from repeating an untold number of disasters.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-May-2007, VegA > wrote:

> On 08 May 2007 20:27:44 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:
>
> snip
> >Thanks.. I'll give it a try next time I do them.. I really need to start
> >a BBQ
> >diary to write down all of my mistakes (and successes) to make sure I
> >know how
> >to reproduce BBQ'd XYZ (or what not to do next time).. Anyone do this or
> >do
> >you remember every litle detail about every cook & rub used?

> I try to keep a log on my puter but I don't stick with it very well. I
> love my rub and have that written down somewhere. I spent years trying
> to get that the way I like it. For me the big deal of getting my rub
> right was NOT what I was puttin in it. It was the proportions of each
> thing!
>
> I don't track time when I cue very well. It's hard for me to say
> "smoke at 230 for 6 hours" because I really don't care too much about
> time. I don't cue to a stop clock. I allow all day for a cue. If I'm
> havin folks over for cue I tellem "come at noon, we will eat when it's
> done", even if I started smokin at 5 a.m.. I do have snacks and fire
> up the grill to keep people from starving. But the grill goes out
> about 3-4 hours before I think the cue will be done. That includes
> "rest" and "pull" time as needed.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I have a general idea when I start as to the time
> it will be done. But this is art for me, not science. I never tasted
> science that tasted very good
>
> BTW, I eat my mistakes. ALWAYS. That way I get a real incentive to do
> better next time

If you can eat a mistake, then it wasn't really a mistake. My mistakes
tend to require extensive cleanup or air freshener or both.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

I wrote an article on smoking and bbqueing beef ribs....

check it out!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Jun-2007, wrote:

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

> I wrote an article on smoking and bbqueing beef ribs....
>
> check it out!

Better yet, come around to my place and compete in a
throwdown on beef ribs. There are plenty of judges right
here in the neighborhood. It's called, "Put up or shut up".

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> On 17-Jun-2007, wrote:

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

> > I wrote an article on smoking and bbqueing beef ribs....
> >
> > check it out!

> Better yet, come around to my place and compete in a
> throwdown on beef ribs. There are plenty of judges right
> here in the neighborhood. It's called, "Put up or shut up".
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Can I come? I can either cook or judge. I have credentials!

Please Bricker, let me come to the party!
;-)

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
>> On 17-Jun-2007, wrote:

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

>> > I wrote an article on smoking and bbqueing beef ribs....
>> >
>> > check it out!

>> Better yet, come around to my place and compete in a
>> throwdown on beef ribs. There are plenty of judges right
>> here in the neighborhood. It's called, "Put up or shut up".
>>
>> --
>> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Can I come? I can either cook or judge. I have credentials!
>
> Please Bricker, let me come to the party!
> ;-)
>
> BOB

I'll drink beer and judge and I'm completely unbiased (unless one of you has
good bourbon)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Jun-2007, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > > wrote in message
> >> On 17-Jun-2007, wrote:

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

> >> Better yet, come around to my place and compete in a
> >> throwdown on beef ribs. There are plenty of judges right
> >> here in the neighborhood. It's called, "Put up or shut up".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> > Can I come? I can either cook or judge. I have credentials!
> >
> > Please Bricker, let me come to the party!
> > ;-)
> >
> > BOB

> I'll drink beer and judge and I'm completely unbiased (unless one of you has
> good bourbon)

It never entered my head that some others might like to share in the fun.
Come to think of it, Bluto might like to hop aboard as well. Maybe we should
do a practice run just to organize the team. I can probably enlist the fire-
station across the road to do the judging.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

newsQcdi.996$Zh6.940@trnddc04

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

> > > Can I come? I can either cook or judge. I have credentials!
> > >
> > > Please Bricker, let me come to the party!
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > BOB

> > I'll drink beer and judge and I'm completely unbiased (unless one
> > of you has good bourbon)

> It never entered my head that some others might like to share in the
> fun. Come to think of it, Bluto might like to hop aboard as well.
> Maybe we should do a practice run just to organize the team. I can
> probably enlist the fire- station across the road to do the judging.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Hold-on-a-second-here...

Edwin and I volunteered to judge! Those fire-station guys can judge the
chile.

BOB
;-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et
> " BOB" > wrote in message
> > > wrote in message
> > > On 17-Jun-2007, wrote:

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

> > > Better yet, come around to my place and compete in a
> > > throwdown on beef ribs. There are plenty of judges right
> > > here in the neighborhood. It's called, "Put up or shut up".
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> > Can I come? I can either cook or judge. I have credentials!
> >
> > Please Bricker, let me come to the party!
> > ;-)
> >
> > BOB

> I'll drink beer and judge and I'm completely unbiased (unless one of
> you has good bourbon)

lol! We do need another judge!

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:05:03 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net

http://www.beefribs.org/Reviews/Article.asp?ID=209

>> > Can I come? I can either cook or judge. I have credentials!
>> >
>> > Please Bricker, let me come to the party!
>> > ;-)
>> >
>> > BOB

>> I'll drink beer and judge and I'm completely unbiased (unless one of
>> you has good bourbon)

>lol! We do need another judge!
>
>BOB

I'm right across the swamps and will bring the bourbon!

beef ribs help Peter General Cooking 10 23-08-2006 01:27 AM
HELP beef ribs MJ General Cooking 6 21-06-2005 02:18 AM
Are beef (back) ribs the same as short ribs? Timothy Sebora Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:56 PM
Beef Ribs/Pork Ribs Peter Newman Barbecue 4 04-07-2004 07:47 PM
Beef Ribs Louis Cohen Barbecue 1 04-06-2004 06:27 PM