Old 13-06-2007, 01:31 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Wood or lump?

Steve Calvin wrote in
:

Either way should work. If going for a long cook, the Minion
method is the only way to go from the gitgo...
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

If I need to add to that, I just add plain unstarted lump.

The Minion method sounds compelling to me. I am sceptical since it's
against everything I have learnt about how briquettes contain stuff that
flavors the meat in a bad way etc. I guess it's only one way to find
out: Try it!

Looking at the Minion method site it seems like it was made for bullet
smokers. Has anyone here successfully used it in smokers with an off-set
fire box (which is what I am currently using)?

--
//ceed

Old 13-06-2007, 11:10 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote in

Either way should work. If going for a long cook, the Minion
method is the only way to go from the gitgo...
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

If I need to add to that, I just add plain unstarted lump.

The Minion method sounds compelling to me. I am sceptical since it's
against everything I have learnt about how briquettes contain stuff that
flavors the meat in a bad way etc. I guess it's only one way to find
out: Try it!

Looking at the Minion method site it seems like it was made for bullet
smokers. Has anyone here successfully used it in smokers with an off-set
fire box (which is what I am currently using)?

I use it in my NB offset smoker, with excellent results.

~Semper Fi~
Old 13-06-2007, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote in
:

Either way should work. If going for a long cook, the Minion
method is the only way to go from the gitgo...
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

If I need to add to that, I just add plain unstarted lump.

The Minion method sounds compelling to me. I am sceptical since it's
against everything I have learnt about how briquettes contain stuff that
flavors the meat in a bad way etc. I guess it's only one way to find
out: Try it!

Looking at the Minion method site it seems like it was made for bullet
smokers. Has anyone here successfully used it in smokers with an off-set
fire box (which is what I am currently using)?

--
//ceed

Well, I never said I used briquettes. Matter of fact,
they're not even allowed on the property! Lump all the
way here. The M. Method works fine with lump.

--
Steve
Old 15-06-2007, 04:55 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Jun-2007, ceed wrote:

Steve Calvin wrote in
:

Either way should work. If going for a long cook, the Minion
method is the only way to go from the gitgo...
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

If I need to add to that, I just add plain unstarted lump.

The Minion method sounds compelling to me. I am sceptical since it's
against everything I have learnt about how briquettes contain stuff that
flavors the meat in a bad way etc. I guess it's only one way to find
out: Try it!

Looking at the Minion method site it seems like it was made for bullet
smokers. Has anyone here successfully used it in smokers with an off-set
fire box (which is what I am currently using)?

--
//ceed

I use the minion method everytime I fire up my smoker. I'm using an NB
Silver Smoker. (Similar to the Charbroil Silver, but much better fit from
the factory). Pictures on ABF as soon as I can get around to posting
them. They've already been prepared.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Old 18-06-2007, 05:56 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue
EZ EZ is offline

ceed wrote:
[...]
Looking at the Minion method site it seems like it was made for bullet
smokers. Has anyone here successfully used it in smokers with an
off-set fire box (which is what I am currently using)?

Definitely. It's the only way to go. I use it in my CharGriller Smokin Pro
every time. In fact, I fill up the firebox with a full bag of lump the night
before, and put a few in the chimney and take the chimney inside to keep it
nice and dry. Next morning at 5 a.m. I just get the meat out, take the
chimney outside, fire it up, and by the time the coals are hot enough to
pour on top of the unlit ones, I can put the meat on. Within a half-hour or
so, I've got the temp stable enough to go back to bed for a couple-three
hours!

--
EZ
Traeger BBQ075 "Texas"

Old 25-06-2007, 11:58 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
ceed wrote:

Looking at the Minion method site it seems like it was made for bullet
smokers. Has anyone here successfully used it in smokers with an off-set
fire box (which is what I am currently using)?

I use it in my NB offset smoker, with excellent results.

Me too, and yes, excellent results, though I've never
tried with Kingsford briquettes. I've done it with lump
and Original Charcoal Co. lump briquettes; works great.

Did I mention the Original Charcoal Co. briquettes kick
ass? Really like cooking with lump for the most part.

Dana