Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cowboy Lump

What is the consensus on this brand?

I am lukewarm to lump in general - I've been trying different brands and it
just seems to burn faster and I notice no heat increase over clay
briquettes.

Am I missing something?
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jeff Givens > wrote:
> What is the consensus on this brand?
>
> I am lukewarm to lump in general - I've been trying different brands and
> it just seems to burn faster and I notice no heat increase over clay
> briquettes.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:36:07 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:

> What is the consensus on this brand?
>
> I am lukewarm to lump in general - I've been trying different brands and it
> just seems to burn faster and I notice no heat increase over clay
> briquettes.
>
> Am I missing something?
> JG... Jeff Givens
>

> "My hovercraft is full of eels."

It seems that everyone knocks Cowboy, but in the winter in NH, it is the
only brand I can find. I will drive to get better lump when it's available,
but I haven't had too bad luck with it. I would rather use it than
kingsford briquettes. Just MHO...
--
DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 02:25:57 GMT Steve Wertz >
wrote:

[...]

>Clay?

A binder in the cheap briquettes.

There aren't too many choices of lump in this area (SE PA), I will have to
note which and check the nakedwhiz database.

So either I've tried poor lump or am just stupid, I get no real difference
in burn time. Some of the lump has been nothing but a bag of dust with a
chunk here and there.

JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-23, DavidG- > wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:36:07 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:
>
> It seems that everyone knocks Cowboy, but in the winter in NH, it is the
> only brand I can find. I will drive to get better lump when it's available,
> but I haven't had too bad luck with it. I would rather use it than
> kingsford briquettes. Just MHO...

You might try your local Walmart for Royal Oak -- however, it may be seasonal
for the east coast.. I'm on the other side and they sell it year-round.. Out
here you can also get Cowboy at your local Trader Joe's if you really like it.
I used to use it but prefer RO over that anytime. Of course, I also use my
locally cut-down fruit wood trees for fuel as well -- they burn REALLY hot!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DavidG- wrote:

> It seems that everyone knocks Cowboy, but in the winter in NH, it is
> the only brand I can find. I will drive to get better lump when it's
> available, but I haven't had too bad luck with it. I would rather use
> it than kingsford briquettes. Just MHO...

Doitbest Hardware carries Royal Oak lump. You can use their web site to
find whether there are affiliated stores near you. If so, they may
carry or be able to order it for you.

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Lazzari prices have gone up 25% since last year. Have you guys noticed
lump price increases too?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 23, 6:37 am, DavidG- > wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:36:07 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:
> > What is the consensus on this brand?

> > I am lukewarm to lump in general - I've been trying different brands and it
> > just seems to burn faster and I notice no heat increase over clay
> > briquettes.

> > Am I missing something?
> > __________________________________________________ _______________
> > JG... Jeff Givens
> >

> > "My hovercraft is full of eels."

> It seems that everyone knocks Cowboy, but in the winter in NH, it is the
> only brand I can find. I will drive to get better lump when it's available,
> but I haven't had too bad luck with it. I would rather use it than
> kingsford briquettes. Just MHO...
> --
> DavidG-

David, At the Rock'n Ribfest in Merrimack, pay a visit to the team
area; ask them where to get some decent lump. There's a sausage place
in Manch Vegas that usually carries Wicked Good. Call ahead.
(Sausage haven?/heaven?)

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:35:48 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 02:25:57 GMT Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Clay?

>> A binder in the cheap briquettes.
>>
>> There aren't too many choices of lump in this area (SE PA), I will
>> have to note which and check the nakedwhiz database.

> If you have a mexican market (especially a carniciera) near you,
> they often have lump. At least the ones in CA and TX do.
>
> -sw

Here in Florida, too. I think the lump comes from Argentina or something.
We've tried it and it isn't bad.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:36:07 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:
>
> > What is the consensus on this brand?

> Sucks. I've had a couple bags (2 out of 3) that tasted like
> chemicals from treated woods. Evil Stuff.
>
> Several grocers also re-brand that stuff as their own. Whole
> Foods and Fresh Market, and Williams Sonoma, for starters.
>
> Beware any lump that comes in an 8.8lb bag. It's propbably
> Cowboy Lump.
>
> > Clay briquettes

> Clay?
>
> I use B&B brand lump exclusively. It's available everywhere here
> and always consistent.
>
> -sw

The last two bags of Cowboy that I ever bought each had partially charred
plywood in the mix. I don't know about anyone esle, but I certainly *DO
NOT* want to smoke my food over a fire that's burning that glue that holds
the plies together.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-23, BOB > wrote:

> The last two bags of Cowboy that I ever bought each had partially charred
> plywood in the mix. I don't know about anyone esle, but I certainly *DO
> NOT* want to smoke my food over a fire that's burning that glue that holds
> the plies together.

Well.. I guess I'd stick with the pieces of concrete-like stuff I occasionally find
in my Royal Oak lump after a hot fire.. Haven't found any recently though..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 23, 3:12 pm, "Rick F." > wrote:
> On 2007-04-23, BOB > wrote:
>

> > The last two bags of Cowboy that I ever bought each had partially charred
> > plywood in the mix. I don't know about anyone esle, but I certainly *DO
> > NOT* want to smoke my food over a fire that's burning that glue that holds
> > the plies together.

> Well.. I guess I'd stick with the pieces of concrete-like stuff I occasionally find
> in my Royal Oak lump after a hot fire.. Haven't found any recently though..

Yeah, that's just cap debris leftover from the burning process. My
Lazzari gets some of that too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:37:25 -0400, DavidG- > wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:36:07 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:
>
>> What is the consensus on this brand?
>>
>> I am lukewarm to lump in general - I've been trying different brands and it
>> just seems to burn faster and I notice no heat increase over clay
>> briquettes.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>> __________________________________________________ _______________
>> JG... Jeff Givens
>>

>> "My hovercraft is full of eels."

>It seems that everyone knocks Cowboy, but in the winter in NH, it is the
>only brand I can find. I will drive to get better lump when it's available,
>but I haven't had too bad luck with it. I would rather use it than
>kingsford briquettes. Just MHO...

For Sure.
Harry

Whose Royal Oak has been very acceptable.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:44:05 -0400 " BOB" > wrote:

>The last two bags of Cowboy that I ever bought each had partially charred
>plywood in the mix. I don't know about anyone esle, but I certainly *DO
>NOT* want to smoke my food over a fire that's burning that glue that holds
>the plies together.
>
>BOB

Funny, I started this asking about Cowboy and while smoking a turkey breast
today, what do I find rummaging around in the back of the shed?

Yup.

Poking around in it no plywood but a lot of tongue & groove.

Is lump supposed to be from chopped up hardwood - right form the tree, or
is scrap lumber ok to be in the product?

Yeah, the T&G could have been hardwood, could is the key word here.

JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jeff Givens" > wrote in message
> Is lump supposed to be from chopped up hardwood - right form the tree, or
> is scrap lumber ok to be in the product?
>
> Yeah, the T&G could have been hardwood, could is the key word here.

In theory, lump charcoal is pure carbon, a by product of slow burning the
wood. Scraps would not be a problem, neither would some soft wood as the
resins are burned out. A lot of good hardwood goes into t & g and there are
plenty of trimmings.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:44:05 -0400, BOB wrote:

> The last two bags of Cowboy that I ever bought each had partially charred
> plywood in the mix. I don't know about anyone esle, but I certainly *DO
> NOT* want to smoke my food over a fire that's burning that glue that holds
> the plies together.

Yep. Their marketing seems to fool a bunch of these "organic"
stores like Whole Foods and such. Whole foods lump is made by
Cowboy.

I've thrown away pounds of flap meat because of Cowboy.
Kingsford is way better than using Cowboy. It seems to be luck
of the draw, though. I'm not playing that Cowboy Lump Charcoal
game anymore, though.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "Jeff Givens" > wrote in message
>> Is lump supposed to be from chopped up hardwood - right form the tree, or
>> is scrap lumber ok to be in the product?
>>
>> Yeah, the T&G could have been hardwood, could is the key word here.

> In theory, lump charcoal is pure carbon, a by product of slow burning the
> wood. Scraps would not be a problem, neither would some soft wood as the
> resins are burned out. A lot of good hardwood goes into t & g and there
> are plenty of trimmings.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I have a gas smoker I use often. I have 3/4 oak flooring that I cut into
4-6" pieces. after I drain the smoke from them . I save them for my
regular Grill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23 Apr 2007 17:04:32 GMT, Rick F. wrote:

> On 2007-04-23, DavidG- > wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:36:07 -0400, Jeff Givens wrote:
>>
>> It seems that everyone knocks Cowboy, but in the winter in NH, it is the
>> only brand I can find. I will drive to get better lump when it's available,
>> but I haven't had too bad luck with it. I would rather use it than
>> kingsford briquettes. Just MHO...

> You might try your local Walmart for Royal Oak -- however, it may be seasonal
> for the east coast.. I'm on the other side and they sell it year-round.. Out
> here you can also get Cowboy at your local Trader Joe's if you really like it.
> I used to use it but prefer RO over that anytime. Of course, I also use my
> locally cut-down fruit wood trees for fuel as well -- they burn REALLY hot!

Yep...I buy Royal Oak from Wally all summer, but they stop stocking it in
August...I guess that's when people are supposed to stop grilling. I try to
stock up, but usually run out in the winter.
--
DavidG-

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> Lazzari prices have gone up 25% since last year. Have you guys noticed
> lump price increases too?

I paid $14.95 for 20lbs of Royal Oak yesterday at a "Do It Best"
hardware store yesterday. (I may have passed if I was wearing my
reading glasses and had seen the price tag before I got to the
register). I usually get Royal Oak at a former Agway store for around
$11/20lb. They were in stock when I picked up my seed potatoes and onion
sets but forgot to check the price.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 23, 10:27 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:39:07 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Jeff Givens" > wrote in message
> >> Is lump supposed to be from chopped up hardwood - right form the tree, or
> >> is scrap lumber ok to be in the product?

> >> Yeah, the T&G could have been hardwood, could is the key word here.

> > In theory, lump charcoal is pure carbon, a by product of slow burning the
> > wood. Scraps would not be a problem, neither would some soft wood as the
> > resins are burned out. A lot of good hardwood goes into t & g and there are
> > plenty of trimmings.

> Mine last two burns of Cowboy left noxious creosote all over my
> grill. Even the outside was dripping resin of some sort.
>
> I called them (no email) and expressed my displeasure, but they
> refused to even acknowledge they produced the stuff for Fresh
> Markets (on the East coast) - even though they advertised it in a
> press release 9 months earlier on their website. Now their
> website has been scaled down to hide the bodies.
>
> -sw

When you look at a piece of cowboy it looks like charred milled
lumber. So it really makes you really wonder what it's made out of.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

> wrote in message ...
> Tutall wrote:
>> Lazzari prices have gone up 25% since last year. Have you guys noticed
>> lump price increases too?
>>

> I paid $14.95 for 20lbs of Royal Oak yesterday at a "Do It Best" hardware
> store yesterday. (I may have passed if I was wearing my reading glasses
> and had seen the price tag before I got to the register). I usually get
> Royal Oak at a former Agway store for around $11/20lb. They were in stock
> when I picked up my seed potatoes and onion sets but forgot to check the
> price.

I don't know if any of you guys have tried the Kamado charcoal or not, but
it looks prety interesting to me. I'd imagine the extruded coconut stuff is
pretty decent, hot and long burning. I live in the UK, and have no problem
getting excellent high quality hardwood lump, but if I was in the US and had
problems getting good lump, I would order a pallet of the Kamado stuff just
to try.

It looks like 230lb per pallet, and goes for between $104 and $116 per
pallet - plus shipping, which appears to be between $10 and $100 depending
on whether you live in California or Florida.

http://www.kamado.com/kamado_charcoal.htm
http://www.kamado.com/charcoal_shipping.htm

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 24, 4:05 am, wrote:
> Tutall wrote:
> > Lazzari prices have gone up 25% since last year. Have you guys noticed
> > lump price increases too?

> I paid $14.95 for 20lbs of Royal Oak yesterday at a "Do It Best"
> hardware store yesterday. (I may have passed if I was wearing my
> reading glasses and had seen the price tag before I got to the
> register). I usually get Royal Oak at a former Agway store for around
> $11/20lb. They were in stock when I picked up my seed potatoes and onion
> sets but forgot to check the price.

Thanks Steve and Jess for the replies. Guess I shouldn't complain that
40lbs has gone up from $13 to $16 then.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

skeeter wrote:
> On Apr 23, 10:27 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:

>>> In theory, lump charcoal is pure carbon, a by product of slow
>>> burning the wood. Scraps would not be a problem, neither would
>>> some soft wood as the resins are burned out. A lot of good
>>> hardwood goes into t & g and there are plenty of trimmings.

>> Mine last two burns of Cowboy left noxious creosote all over my
>> grill. Even the outside was dripping resin of some sort.
>>
>> I called them (no email) and expressed my displeasure, but they
>> refused to even acknowledge they produced the stuff for Fresh
>> Markets (on the East coast) - even though they advertised it in a
>> press release 9 months earlier on their website. Now their
>> website has been scaled down to hide the bodies.
>>
>> -sw

> When you look at a piece of cowboy it looks like charred milled
> lumber. So it really makes you really wonder what it's made out of.

I've seen chair legs in Cowboy, rocks, paneling - they basically char any
wood product. Nasty stuff.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-24, DavidG- > wrote:

>> You might try your local Walmart for Royal Oak -- however, it may be seasonal
>> for the east coast.. I'm on the other side and they sell it year-round.. Out
>> here you can also get Cowboy at your local Trader Joe's if you really like it.
>> I used to use it but prefer RO over that anytime. Of course, I also use my
>> locally cut-down fruit wood trees for fuel as well -- they burn REALLY hot!

> Yep...I buy Royal Oak from Wally all summer, but they stop stocking it in
> August...I guess that's when people are supposed to stop grilling. I try to
> stock up, but usually run out in the winter.

Last time I was at my local Wally's, they had several pallets of the stuff..
I usually buy 5-6 bags at a time and that keeps me for a month or two tops
assuming I'm also using my Kamado Koal and some fruit wood for fuel which I've
been doing lately -- it burns way hotter than any other lump I've got -- but
it smokes like a banchee during startup..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24 Apr 2007 07:10:34 -0700, Tutall > wrote:

>Thanks Steve and Jess for the replies. Guess I shouldn't complain that
>40lbs has gone up from $13 to $16 then.

I buy lump at BBQ Galore.
The last time, it was $18/40 lb bag.
It was $16/20lb bag.
???

The NFL quizzed each prospective draftee about
past drug use before Saturday's player draft
in New York. Innocent bystanders always get hurt.
After Barack Obama admitted to past use of cocaine,
he went sailing past Hillary Clinton in fund-raising.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-24, adm > wrote:

> I don't know if any of you guys have tried the Kamado charcoal or not, but
> it looks prety interesting to me. I'd imagine the extruded coconut stuff is
> pretty decent, hot and long burning. I live in the UK, and have no problem
> getting excellent high quality hardwood lump, but if I was in the US and had
> problems getting good lump, I would order a pallet of the Kamado stuff just
> to try.

I've got about 4-5 boxes left in my original order I did almost a year ago..
It's great stuff but I don't use it for certain things -- like pizza cooks
where you want REALLY hot coals -- I find the Kamado extruded (CEL) takes too
long to come up to temp.. For that I use Royal Oak which seems much faster in
my opinion. However, where the Kamado stuff really shines is for low-n-slow
cooks -- I can put one box of the stuff in my Kamado #7 and it will EASILY run
for 36 hours or longer w/o needing to open it up..

> It looks like 230lb per pallet, and goes for between $104 and $116 per
> pallet - plus shipping, which appears to be between $10 and $100 depending
> on whether you live in California or Florida.

If you live in So-Cal, you can drop by the warehouse in San Diego and pick it
up yourself -- for $7/box I believe.. One of these days I need to order some
more boxes since that stuff works so well for low-n-slow -- produces little
ash compared to RO or almost every other lump I've used. Very nice stuff!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-24, Tutall > wrote:
> On Apr 24, 4:05 am, wrote:
>> Tutall wrote:
>> > Lazzari prices have gone up 25% since last year. Have you guys noticed
>> > lump price increases too?

>> I paid $14.95 for 20lbs of Royal Oak yesterday at a "Do It Best"
>> hardware store yesterday. (I may have passed if I was wearing my
>> reading glasses and had seen the price tag before I got to the
>> register). I usually get Royal Oak at a former Agway store for around
>> $11/20lb. They were in stock when I picked up my seed potatoes and onion
>> sets but forgot to check the price.

> Thanks Steve and Jess for the replies. Guess I shouldn't complain that
> 40lbs has gone up from $13 to $16 then.

I wish I could remember what I pay for the 10lb bags at Wally's -- It seems to
me that its about $5-$6/bag -- I believe it's the 10lb size--I know it's not
20lb.. Hmm.. I'll have to check..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Rick F." > wrote in message
> On 2007-04-24, adm > wrote:
>
>> I don't know if any of you guys have tried the Kamado charcoal or not,
>> but
>> it looks prety interesting to me. I'd imagine the extruded coconut stuff
>> is
>> pretty decent, hot and long burning. I live in the UK, and have no
>> problem
>> getting excellent high quality hardwood lump, but if I was in the US and
>> had
>> problems getting good lump, I would order a pallet of the Kamado stuff
>> just
>> to try.

> I've got about 4-5 boxes left in my original order I did almost a year
> ago..
> It's great stuff but I don't use it for certain things -- like pizza cooks
> where you want REALLY hot coals -- I find the Kamado extruded (CEL) takes
> too
> long to come up to temp.. For that I use Royal Oak which seems much faster
> in
> my opinion. However, where the Kamado stuff really shines is for
> low-n-slow
> cooks -- I can put one box of the stuff in my Kamado #7 and it will EASILY
> run
> for 36 hours or longer w/o needing to open it up..
>
>> It looks like 230lb per pallet, and goes for between $104 and $116 per
>> pallet - plus shipping, which appears to be between $10 and $100
>> depending
>> on whether you live in California or Florida.

> If you live in So-Cal, you can drop by the warehouse in San Diego and pick
> it
> up yourself -- for $7/box I believe.. One of these days I need to order
> some
> more boxes since that stuff works so well for low-n-slow -- produces
> little
> ash compared to RO or almost every other lump I've used. Very nice stuff!

Thanks for the info Rick. I really want to try coconut charcoal - but can't
find any around here to buy. I have been using this type of lump for a while
now and it's excellent:
http://www.adm.smugmug.com/gallery/565943#23594846

I use quite a lot of this. It's really dense, heavy and burns hot for a long
time. I even found a distributor that will deliver to my door. In the UK,
this stuff runs about $0.75/lb delivered to my door.

However, I keep hearing good things about coconut charcoal from Indian
friends and must find a local source.... I thought the Kamado extruded
coconut sound interesting, but cannot find a local equivalent. Maybe there's
an opportunity for an import business.....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2007 11:52:00 -0700, Tutall wrote:
>
> > Lazzari prices have gone up 25% since last year. Have you guys
> > noticed lump price increases too?

> My B&B was always $9/20lbs in 2001. Now it's $10.50 or so, but
> thats at the gourmet market here in town as that's the only place
> that carries it consistently in the 20lb bags (Central Markets in
> Austin).

I haven't bought any yet this season, still working on the stuff I got
last fall. The local True Value stores started carrying an in-state
product instead of Qik Joe:

<http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag57.htm>

It was somewhere around $10 a bag, I think. The good thing about
getting it there is that the store has online coupons, $2 off a $10+
purchase.

<http://www.trusite.com/coupon.asp?store_id=711>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-24, adm > wrote:

> Thanks for the info Rick. I really want to try coconut charcoal - but can't
> find any around here to buy. I have been using this type of lump for a while
> now and it's excellent:
> http://www.adm.smugmug.com/gallery/565943#23594846
>
> I use quite a lot of this. It's really dense, heavy and burns hot for a long
> time. I even found a distributor that will deliver to my door. In the UK,
> this stuff runs about $0.75/lb delivered to my door.

Looks like good stuff to me.. We can't get that sort of stuff anywhere here.
99% of the stores carry nothing but Kingsford crap (IMNSHO) -- it's amazing
what kind of market share they've got..

> However, I keep hearing good things about coconut charcoal from Indian
> friends and must find a local source.... I thought the Kamado extruded
> coconut sound interesting, but cannot find a local equivalent. Maybe there's
> an opportunity for an import business.....

Well.. You could always pester Kamado Europe (http://www.kamadoeurope.com/)
since they're related to the same people here -- perhaps if there's enough
interest, you could get your own shipping container of the stuff from Thailand
(or Philippines) where it comes from (mine came from Thailand to Long Beach,CA)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-24, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2007 16:05:45 GMT, Rick F. wrote:
>
>> I've got about 4-5 boxes left in my original order I did almost a year ago..
>> It's great stuff but I don't use it for certain things -- like pizza cooks
>> where you want REALLY hot coals -- I find the Kamado extruded (CEL) takes too
>> long to come up to temp.. For that I use Royal Oak which seems much faster in
>> my opinion. However, where the Kamado stuff really shines is for low-n-slow
>> cooks -- I can put one box of the stuff in my Kamado #7 and it will EASILY run
>> for 36 hours or longer w/o needing to open it up..

> Is the Kamado stuff charred, or is it just pressed coconut shells?
> Anybody know if it's available in Austin?

It's about as charred as you can get (pure black).. It gives off very little
(if any) flavor of its own which is why you may want to add some smoking wood
to get the flavor you desire.. You can think of Kamado's extruded coconut
product as a heat-source that won't impart flavor/smokiness (IMHO)

> The fact that's marketed by Kamado is almost reason not to buy it,
> no matter how good it is. Just IMO, of course.

I've had good luck and in fact some people are working on getting a pallet of
the stuff shipped out to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area as we speak. I'm not up on
what the status is for that shipment, but frequently there are bulk orders
being setup by a handful of people in a geographic region.. Of course, if you
want to try a box, you might find someone in your area that has one that you
can try for a few $$ to see if you like it..

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:27:26 GMT Steve Wertz >
wrote:

>Mine last two burns of Cowboy left noxious creosote all over my
>grill. Even the outside was dripping resin of some sort.

I was slapping some dinner together tonight on short notice and had some
ears of corn I wanted to cook quickly. I didn't want to mess with the gas
grill so I figured that bottom of the bag of Cowboy I found would light
fast.

Well, it sure did light quickly but it left a noxious black oil across the
corn. This stuff is indeed truly vile.
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"skeeter" > wrote in message

> When you look at a piece of cowboy it looks like charred milled
> lumber. So it really makes you really wonder what it's made out of.

Well. lumber used to be made from wood.I cook over lots of milled lumber
right from the shop. It is just like a tree, only prettier.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24 Apr 2007 15:59:18 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:

>On 2007-04-24, DavidG- > wrote:
>>>
>>> You might try your local Walmart for Royal Oak -- however, it may be seasonal
>>> for the east coast.. I'm on the other side and they sell it year-round.. Out
>>> here you can also get Cowboy at your local Trader Joe's if you really like it.
>>> I used to use it but prefer RO over that anytime. Of course, I also use my
>>> locally cut-down fruit wood trees for fuel as well -- they burn REALLY hot!

>> Yep...I buy Royal Oak from Wally all summer, but they stop stocking it in
>> August...I guess that's when people are supposed to stop grilling. I try to
>> stock up, but usually run out in the winter.

>Last time I was at my local Wally's, they had several pallets of the stuff..
>I usually buy 5-6 bags at a time and that keeps me for a month or two tops
>assuming I'm also using my Kamado Koal and some fruit wood for fuel which I've
>been doing lately -- it burns way hotter than any other lump I've got -- but
>it smokes like a banchee during startup..

I generally keep 10-15 8 kilo bags 'in stock'. but Canadian Tire has a
permanent SKU for it and if they are out it takes a week to get some .
.. . I am very happy with 'my' Royal Oak.

Harry