Old 26-04-2007, 04:36 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default ok to cook on rusty grill?

On Apr 23, 6:16 am, shawn wrote:
Steve Calvin wrote:
shawn wrote:

Nope, no troll. Ive done it, and you can really re-season them after
a cleanup. Most people don't realize it, but anytime you cook with
Cast Iron anything, it adds a measurable amount of iron to the food.

Not quite sure I agree. Of course you can clean CI and re-season it. My
reasoning for the "troll" comment was that anyone would even think about
cooking on something that was rusted without cleaning it up first. NFW
I'm eatin' what they're serving. And I'm still smelling strong troll
smells. ;-)

You mean the OP was troll smelling, and I just fell for it?

I wasn't trolling at all. I have a grill that has rust spots on it and
I am truly interested if people still use them. Replacing the grills
looks like it's going to cost about $50. I also posted a question
about the black soot buildup on my stainless steel pan when using the
attached burner. Is there any trick to reducing the blackening of my
pan?

Old 30-04-2007, 02:16 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:36:43 -0700, Joe wrote:

like it's going to cost about $50. I also posted a question about the
black soot buildup on my stainless steel pan when using the attached
burner. Is there any trick to reducing the blackening of my pan?

There are good answers in your other thread. The burner does need adjusted
or the jets checked. If you use the soap trick you will be using way too
much propane as it's burning rich. I cook on propane everyday and I can
assure you it burns very clean-no soot.

Steve