Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Buying brisket

Hi,

I like to "go all the way" when I do brisket in my good 'ol Brinkmann. This
means that I won't remove the brisket, wrap it, and finish it in the oven
like some recommend to get it juicy. I let it stay in the smoker until it's
done. However, it seems that I am very dependent on good quality brisket to
get a good result. I know I am doing it the same way every time, but the
end result is not always the same. Sometimes it gets dry and stringy.It
seems like briskets purchased at the same time in the same store ends up
very similar. So I have a feeling it has to do with the quality of the
meat. How can I check the brisket before I buy it trying to make sure what
I get is of good quality?

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" > wrote in message
. 4...
> . Sometimes it gets dry and stringy.It
> seems like briskets purchased at the same time in the same store ends up
> very similar. So I have a feeling it has to do with the quality of the
> meat. How can I check the brisket before I buy it trying to make sure what
> I get is of good quality?

What are you buying? You are not buying flats are you? If so, that is the
biggest problem. trimmed and not enough fat to keep it from drying out.

If you ware buying a full packer cut, bend it in half while still in the
package. It should flex easily and the two end should meet. It does not
really matter what grade it is. I can get good results from select or
choice, not like a steak.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

One suggestion is to mop the brisket with something that will seal the
surface a bit to retard dehydration as it finishes. In the past, I used
apple juice, thinned molasses, thinned honey and once tried dark Karo
syrup. What I wanted was a sugary "skin" that would seal the meat. All
worked well and since they were sweet, imparted a little sweetness to
the crust. Thinning was important, since you don't want a candy coated
butt or brisket, IMHO. To be honest with you, and this will make Texans
shudder, I like to heat the meat up for about an hour with nothing at
all on it. I then rub it with diluted honey and then get a handful of
bacon fat and rub over it. The fat is salty, adding flavor to the
brisket.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2007 06:16:37 GMT, ceed wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I like to "go all the way" when I do brisket in my good 'ol Brinkmann.

> What kind of Brinkman, and R2D2 ECB?

.. Choice gives the
> best yield and moisture ratio, no matter hoe you cook it.
>
> =sw

snippage

Shouldn't that be "nappy headed 'hoe?) :-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 06:18:43 -0500, shawn wrote:
>

>>Steve Wertz wrote:
>>

>>> Choice gives the
>>>best yield and moisture ratio, no matter hoe you cook it.

>>snippage
>>
>>Shouldn't that be "nappy headed 'hoe?) :-)

> I suppose you're one of those honky White boys, eh?
>
> -sw

Merely mixing current events and miss-spelling in the same post

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to "go all the way" when I do brisket in my good 'ol
> Brinkmann. This means that I won't remove the brisket, wrap it, and
> finish it in the oven like some recommend to get it juicy. I let it
> stay in the smoker until it's done. However, it seems that I am very
> dependent on good quality brisket to get a good result. I know I am
> doing it the same way every time, but the end result is not always
> the same. Sometimes it gets dry and stringy.It seems like briskets
> purchased at the same time in the same store ends up very similar. So
> I have a feeling it has to do with the quality of the meat. How can I
> check the brisket before I buy it trying to make sure what I get is
> of good quality?

Try to fold it in half, end to end. The more easily it folds, the mo betta
it will be when it's done as indicated by the magic fork (do not use a
thermometer)

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
t:

> "ceed" > wrote in message
> . 4...
>> . Sometimes it gets dry and stringy.It

> What are you buying? You are not buying flats are you? If so, that
> is the biggest problem. trimmed and not enough fat to keep it from
> drying out.

I never buy trimmed.

> If you ware buying a full packer cut, bend it in half while still in
> the package. It should flex easily and the two end should meet. It
> does not really matter what grade it is. I can get good results from
> select or choice, not like a steak.

I'll try that nex time. Thanks!

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz > wrote in news:suw548u4td9c
:

> On 15 Apr 2007 06:16:37 GMT, ceed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like to "go all the way" when I do brisket in my good 'ol Brinkmann.

> What kind of Brinkman, and R2D2 ECB?

Yes! An R2D2. I have drilled som holes in the fuel pan and put in
a grate. I am not able to keep it going for more than 12 hours
without problems keeping the temperature where I want it.

> Temperature control is the key in an ECB. It's pretty hard to
> keep a steady temp, and the ends where it hangs outside the area
> of the heatsink (water pan) always dry out.

Yes, I have noticed that what is hanging out is drying out at times.

> When buying briskets, always dig through the piles to see if
> there's any marked USDA Choice, or even USDA Prime. They're all
> the some price here in Texas. The USDA stamps on the Cryovac
> will be in different colors: white, blue, and red.
>
> Given the choice between the three USDA grades, I look for USDA
> Choice briskets rather than Prime or Select. Choice gives the
> best yield and moisture ratio, no matter hoe you cook it.
>
> =sw

I will follow this advice next time I purchase briskets. I seem to
remember that most of what I buy isn't marked at all. I usually buy
a few when the price droppes below $1.40/lb here in Austin, TX.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz > wrote in
:

> HEB's standard price is $1.58. Walmart is $1.40, I think. HEB
> used to have those $.25/lb deals on Memorial, the Fourth, and/or
> Labor day, but I haven't seen those deals for a few years.
>
> When buying from HEB, note that they usually have USAD Choice and
> Select mixed in together for the same price. You'll sometimes
> find a USDA Prime one, too.
>
> -sw

Thanks. I got a couple yesterday at Randalls. They were $1.29/lb and
marked USDA. I did the "bend-test" and picked a couple that were more
bendy than the others. One is going now, it's been on there since 5am
this morning. Are there any other things I can do for better results than
just keeping the temperature steady and wait? I realy do not want to
"cheat" by taking it early and finish it in the oven.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2007 16:14:54 GMT, ceed wrote:
>

>>Thanks. I got a couple yesterday at Randalls. They were $1.29/lb and
>>marked USDA. ...

> USDA what? Select, choice, prime...
>
> Warning: I've been burned too many times buying meat at Randalls.
> I just returned some to Randalls today and got my money back.
>

>>I did the "bend-test" and picked a couple that were more
>>bendy than the others.

> I've never heard of the bend test.
>
> -sw

Bend test:
assuming that fat sets up in the cold, the amount of bend should give
you an idea of fat content and distribution.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz > wrote in news:1hb1fcbqgvs3y
:

> On 21 Apr 2007 16:14:54 GMT, ceed wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I got a couple yesterday at Randalls. They were $1.29/lb and
>> marked USDA. ...

> USDA what? Select, choice, prime...

Sorry. USDA Select.

> Warning: I've been burned too many times buying meat at Randalls.
> I just returned some to Randalls today and got my money back.

I've mostly been happy with Randall's meat. Wal-Mart on the other hand
has been bad at times. I wish I knew a good butcher around here. The one
I used to go to went out of business.

>> I did the "bend-test" and picked a couple that were more
>> bendy than the others.

> I've never heard of the bend test.

It's bending the brisket. If ends meet it's supposedly good. I have to
say that the one I did Saturday was perfect! Wonderful smoke ring, moist
and tender. I used a mix of apple, oak and pecan wood chips. It sat in
the Brinkmann for 14 hours. I did cover it with foil the last 4 hours,
but did not wrap it.

Thank you for your help

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> On 21 Apr 2007 16:14:54 GMT, ceed wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I got a couple yesterday at Randalls. They were $1.29/lb and
> > marked USDA. ...

> USDA what? Select, choice, prime...
>
> Warning: I've been burned too many times buying meat at Randalls.
> I just returned some to Randalls today and got my money back.
>
> > I did the "bend-test" and picked a couple that were more
> > bendy than the others.

> I've never heard of the bend test.
>
> -sw

You want a floppy brisket. You get the one that you can bend the most from
end-to-end. If the ends can touch (still in the cryovac), it's a pretty
"tender" brisket.

More important is the marbling in the edges of the flat. I've seen select
with better marbling than choice (I've never seen a prime brisket) and
cooked side-by-side, the select turned out better tasting and more tender
than the choice.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in
:

> More important is the marbling in the edges of the flat. I've seen
> select
> with better marbling than choice (I've never seen a prime brisket) and
> cooked side-by-side, the select turned out better tasting and more
> tender than the choice.

Thank you. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I will look
for marbling next time. I always do when buying rib-eye, but have not
thought of doing it for brisket.

--
//ceed
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in
> :
>
> > More important is the marbling in the edges of the flat. I've seen
> > select
> > with better marbling than choice (I've never seen a prime brisket)
> > and cooked side-by-side, the select turned out better tasting and
> > more tender than the choice.

> Thank you. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I
> will look for marbling next time. I always do when buying rib-eye,
> but have not thought of doing it for brisket.

Neither would I. But about a year ago, the cook from homebbq.com (4 time
FBA Team of the Year) showed me this secret. If you can find a well marbled,
limp brisket, then the rest is up to up to you. It'll be excellent.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> When buying from HEB, note that they usually have USAD Choice and
> Select

USAD? Us asshole dyslexics?

Wait'll Jerry sees this one...feh, never mind, he won't get it.

TFM®

Someone is buying it JBurns General Cooking 21 23-08-2013 11:44 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM
Buying tea on the net? nickwarren Tea 0 20-12-2004 09:59 PM
buying a BBQ Raelene General Cooking 13 11-12-2004 09:25 PM
Buying tea Ripon Tea 8 20-12-2003 05:15 PM