Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default More Weber: The New Performer vs. the Old Performer

My most used grill is my Weber Performer, which has the 22" round bowl
coupled to
a lighter fueled by a 5lb refillable propane tank. It makes the charcoal
grill as easy to use as the gas grill.
One tank filling, if used judiciously[five minutes to light charcoal], will
last all summer.
Weber has replaced this with a disposable propane bottle which will light
10-12 times.
That, for me, would totally remove the appeal of the product.
If you're thinking of a Weber Performer, run, don't walk, and try to find
the discontinued model.
Needless to say, I went looking for grills today.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> My most used grill is my Weber Performer, which has the 22" round bowl
> coupled to
> a lighter fueled by a 5lb refillable propane tank. It makes the charcoal
> grill as easy to use as the gas grill.
> One tank filling, if used judiciously[five minutes to light charcoal],
> will last all summer.
> Weber has replaced this with a disposable propane bottle which will light
> 10-12 times.
> That, for me, would totally remove the appeal of the product.
> If you're thinking of a Weber Performer, run, don't walk, and try to find
> the discontinued model.
> Needless to say, I went looking for grills today.

hmmm...couldn't you simply acquire the right fittings and hose so as to
replace that disposable propane bottle with your 5 lb refillable propane
tank? Added cost, yes...but then you'd have your lighter fuel source of
choice.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Lawrence Akutagawa" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> My most used grill is my Weber Performer, which has the 22" round bowl
>> coupled to
>> a lighter fueled by a 5lb refillable propane tank. It makes the charcoal
>> grill as easy to use as the gas grill.
>> One tank filling, if used judiciously[five minutes to light charcoal],
>> will last all summer.
>> Weber has replaced this with a disposable propane bottle which will light
>> 10-12 times.
>> That, for me, would totally remove the appeal of the product.
>> If you're thinking of a Weber Performer, run, don't walk, and try to find
>> the discontinued model.
>> Needless to say, I went looking for grills today.

> hmmm...couldn't you simply acquire the right fittings and hose so as to
> replace that disposable propane bottle with your 5 lb refillable propane
> tank? Added cost, yes...but then you'd have your lighter fuel source of
> choice.

I looked underneath one. I doubt that it could be done. I can't imagine
any reason to have two possible sources. When you propane runs out
unexpectedly, you just light your charcoal the old fashion way.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Lawrence Akutagawa" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>> My most used grill is my Weber Performer, which has the 22" round bowl
>>> coupled to
>>> a lighter fueled by a 5lb refillable propane tank. It makes the charcoal
>>> grill as easy to use as the gas grill.
>>> One tank filling, if used judiciously[five minutes to light charcoal],
>>> will last all summer.
>>> Weber has replaced this with a disposable propane bottle which will
>>> light 10-12 times.
>>> That, for me, would totally remove the appeal of the product.
>>> If you're thinking of a Weber Performer, run, don't walk, and try to
>>> find the discontinued model.
>>> Needless to say, I went looking for grills today.

>> hmmm...couldn't you simply acquire the right fittings and hose so as to
>> replace that disposable propane bottle with your 5 lb refillable propane
>> tank? Added cost, yes...but then you'd have your lighter fuel source of
>> choice.
>>

> I looked underneath one. I doubt that it could be done. I can't imagine
> any reason to have two possible sources. When you propane runs out
> unexpectedly, you just light your charcoal the old fashion way.

I guess I didn't make myself as clear as I thought I did. Rather than an
additional fuel source, I meant a replacement fuel source. And while I
would think that with a proper fitting so as to be able to utilize the
hose/fitting on your current 5 lb tank, there is an alternative which
entails replacing your current hose/fitting with one of these (or an
equivalent thereto):

http://tinyurl.com/37pkxl
or
http://www.webergrillschicago.com/do...pter_hose.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 14, 5:01 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Lawrence Akutagawa" > wrote in message

> > "Kent" > wrote in message
> >> My most used grill is my Weber Performer, which has the 22" round bowl
> >> coupled to
> >> a lighter fueled by a 5lb refillable propane tank. It makes the charcoal
> >> grill as easy to use as the gas grill.
> >> One tank filling, if used judiciously[five minutes to light charcoal],
> >> will last all summer.
> >> Weber has replaced this with a disposable propane bottle which will light
> >> 10-12 times.
> >> That, for me, would totally remove the appeal of the product.
> >> If you're thinking of a Weber Performer, run, don't walk, and try to find
> >> the discontinued model.
> >> Needless to say, I went looking for grills today.

> > hmmm...couldn't you simply acquire the right fittings and hose so as to
> > replace that disposable propane bottle with your 5 lb refillable propane
> > tank? Added cost, yes...but then you'd have your lighter fuel source of
> > choice.

> I looked underneath one. I doubt that it could be done. I can't imagine
> any reason to have two possible sources. When you propane runs out
> unexpectedly, you just light your charcoal the old fashion way.
>
> Kent

Kent I thnk you need to look again, for less than $5 at any home depot
you can buy a fitting to attach an existing 5# or for that matter 20#
LP to the current Performer. I have a Performer that uses the 1#
tanks and I have it hooked up to a 20# LP tank.

Brent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 17, 12:25 pm, wrote:
> On Apr 14, 5:01 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>

> > "Lawrence Akutagawa" > wrote in message

> t...

> > > hmmm...couldn't you simply acquire the right fittings and hose so as to
> > > replace that disposable propane bottle with your 5 lb refillable propane
> > > tank? Added cost, yes...but then you'd have your lighter fuel source of
> > > choice.

> > I looked underneath one. I doubt that it could be done. I can't imagine
> > any reason to have two possible sources. When you propane runs out
> > unexpectedly, you just light your charcoal the old fashion way.

> > Kent

> Kent I thnk you need to look again, for less than $5 at any home depot
> you can buy a fitting to attach an existing 5# or for that matter 20#
> LP to the current Performer. I have a Performer that uses the 1#
> tanks and I have it hooked up to a 20# LP tank.
>
> Brent- Hide quoted text -

Hi I'm new here, I have a Performer as well (Old Model) I love it!!
What fitting did you buy exactly to run your 20lb tank for the
Performer? I currently haven't used all the space underneath and I
think a bigger tank would be nice, it would probably seem to last
forever.

Joe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 6, 5:55 pm, JoeP > wrote:
> On Apr 17, 12:25 pm, wrote:
>

> > On Apr 14, 5:01 pm, "Kent" > wrote:

> > > "Lawrence Akutagawa" > wrote in message

> > t...

> > > I looked underneath one. I doubt that it could be done. I can't imagine
> > > any reason to have two possible sources. When you propane runs out
> > > unexpectedly, you just light your charcoal the old fashion way.

> > > Kent

> > Kent I thnk you need to look again, for less than $5 at any home depot
> > you can buy a fitting to attach an existing 5# or for that matter 20#
> > LP to the current Performer. I have a Performer that uses the 1#
> > tanks and I have it hooked up to a 20# LP tank.

> > Brent- Hide quoted text -

> Hi I'm new here, I have a Performer as well (Old Model) I love it!!
> What fitting did you buy exactly to run your 20lb tank for the
> Performer? I currently haven't used all the space underneath and I
> think a bigger tank would be nice, it would probably seem to last
> forever.
>
> Joe

Joe,

I don't have the old model, but for the new all I needed was an LP
small diameter to large diameter bushing. I then used a LP extension
hose that I had from a previous application. The new performers have
the regulator attached to grill so my hose didn't need a regulator.

I am not sure what to use on the old model because I have not seen the
fittings. but, if you were to take a photo to Home Depot and ask they
will be able to get you the correct parts. If the regulator is
attached to grill it may be as simple as buying a 20# tank and an
extension hose.

Brent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 7, 10:20 am, Brent > wrote:
> On May 6, 5:55 pm, JoeP > wrote:

> > > t...

> > > Kent I thnk you need to look again, for less than $5 at any home depot
> > > you can buy a fitting to attach an existing 5# or for that matter 20#
> > > LP to the current Performer. I have a Performer that uses the 1#
> > > tanks and I have it hooked up to a 20# LP tank.

> > > Brent- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi I'm new here, I have a Performer as well (Old Model) I love it!!
> > What fitting did you buy exactly to run your 20lb tank for the
> > Performer? I currently haven't used all the space underneath and I
> > think a bigger tank would be nice, it would probably seem to last
> > forever.

> > Joe

> Joe,
>
> I don't have the old model, but for the new all I needed was an LP
> small diameter to large diameter bushing. I then used a LP extension
> hose that I had from a previous application. The new performers have
> the regulator attached to grill so my hose didn't need a regulator.
>
> I am not sure what to use on the old model because I have not seen the
> fittings. but, if you were to take a photo to Home Depot and ask they
> will be able to get you the correct parts. If the regulator is
> attached to grill it may be as simple as buying a 20# tank and an
> extension hose.
>
> Brent- Hide quoted text -

Yeah I have a spare 20gal tank from my old Gas grill, I'll give it a
try and see how it works out. Do you set the tank on something so the
valve can be accessed through the opening or do you Just turn it on
underneath?

Joe

Weber Performer Gas grill.. thoughts/tips? markm75 General Cooking 20 08-06-2007 05:27 AM
Newbie questions - Weber Performer [email protected] Barbecue 3 24-04-2007 07:25 PM
Weber Performer not igniting [email protected] Barbecue 2 14-09-2006 02:08 PM
weber Performer Doug Barbecue 1 17-11-2005 06:13 AM
Weber Performer and Rotisserie Dan Barbecue 6 10-06-2004 03:44 AM