Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What the heck is cushion meat? (pork)

My local Smart-n-Final seems to occasionally carry it -- it really looks like
a seat cushion that you could take to your favorite ball game and sit on..

Anyway, I did a google search but didn't find much useful info on this piece
of meat. I gather its a cut from somewhere near the ham portion of the leg
of the pig.. I also gather it's a hit-or-miss on whether its worth dealing
with or not. Comments?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
rob rob is offline

On Apr 9, 7:07 pm, "Rick F." > wrote:
> My local Smart-n-Final seems to occasionally carry it -- it really looks like
> a seat cushion that you could take to your favorite ball game and sit on..
>
> Anyway, I did a google search but didn't find much useful info on this piece
> of meat. I gather its a cut from somewhere near the ham portion of the leg
> of the pig.. I also gather it's a hit-or-miss on whether its worth dealing
> with or not. Comments?

Got the same package once. Actually was six small pieces packed
together. Cooked it indoors like a sirloin roast. Came out tough. Cat
wouldn't eat it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-04-10, rob > wrote:
> On Apr 9, 7:07 pm, "Rick F." > wrote:
>> My local Smart-n-Final seems to occasionally carry it -- it really looks like
>> a seat cushion that you could take to your favorite ball game and sit on..
>>
>> Anyway, I did a google search but didn't find much useful info on this piece
>> of meat. I gather its a cut from somewhere near the ham portion of the leg
>> of the pig.. I also gather it's a hit-or-miss on whether its worth dealing
>> with or not. Comments?

> Got the same package once. Actually was six small pieces packed
> together. Cooked it indoors like a sirloin roast. Came out tough. Cat
> wouldn't eat it.

This one they had while it was cryovac'd, was loosely packaged and seemed to be
one large piece of meat, but I might be wrong.. Your comments may be why this
piece of meat still lingers at the local store.. Maybe the pig needs to sit down
more to tenderize his "cushion" more.. (8->
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Okay, I was interested. I went to the Sam's club by the house to ask
the only butcher I have found in the city that not only cuts meat, but
loves to cook it.

I is essentially odds and ends of meat. He told me that they cut the
leanest pieces off the pecs, legs, etc., and they put the leftover
chunks of trims from the steak cuts and anything else that makes it to
about 1/2 pound or better. So it is a mixed bag of pieces.

Since I can't look at the meat like he can and say, "hey... that's a
piece of this or that and it should be fixed this way", he told me to
use it like any other cut of medium quality meat.

Cut is small and use it for kabobs. Find a long grained piece, slice
it thin, marinate it, and make fajitas. He cuts it stew meat size and
slow cooks it in his smoker wrapped in foil with onions, green pepper
and jalepenos, then eats it in a flour tortilla. He swears it is
outstanding quality for traditional roast beef dinners.

At $2.36 a pound, next buy I will have to try some.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
rob rob is offline

On Apr 14, 1:00 pm, " >
wrote:
> Okay, I was interested. I went to the Sam's club by the house to ask
> the only butcher I have found in the city that not only cuts meat, but
> loves to cook it.
>
> I is essentially odds and ends of meat. He told me that they cut the
> leanest pieces off the pecs, legs, etc., and they put the leftover
> chunks of trims from the steak cuts and anything else that makes it to
> about 1/2 pound or better. So it is a mixed bag of pieces.
>
> Since I can't look at the meat like he can and say, "hey... that's a
> piece of this or that and it should be fixed this way", he told me to
> use it like any other cut of medium quality meat.
>
> Cut is small and use it for kabobs. Find a long grained piece, slice
> it thin, marinate it, and make fajitas. He cuts it stew meat size and
> slow cooks it in his smoker wrapped in foil with onions, green pepper
> and jalepenos, then eats it in a flour tortilla. He swears it is
> outstanding quality for traditional roast beef dinners.
>
> At $2.36 a pound, next buy I will have to try some.
>
> Robert

The OP asked about "pork cushion meat", which is a particular cut from
the front end of a pig. S&F in Phoenix, AZ, xometimes sells a pack of
several identical pieces, which do not resemble "odds and ends".

A "Google Search" and a couple of hours of "surfing" leads me to
believe that for general consumers a "Crock Pot" is necessary to make
this cut edible. Also, it seems commercial food preparers mechanically
slice these cuts thin, mechanically tenderize, bread, and package, for
industrial sales as "pork cutlets".

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 14, 8:04 pm, "rob" > wrote:

> The OP asked about "pork cushion meat", which is a particular cut from
> the front end of a pig. S&F in Phoenix, AZ, xometimes sells a pack of
> several identical pieces, which do not resemble "odds and ends".

You are indeed correct. I read that post a few days ago and forgot
about the "pork" in the subject line and the post.

oops.

Disregard.

At least now I know what that bag of mystery meat was at my Sams.

Robert

Want to find clean, humane, sustainably raised, meat, pork and poultry? ImStillMags General Cooking 11 07-05-2011 02:15 PM
Pork meat for sale. ritay Marketplace 0 06-08-2009 03:22 AM
Meet your meat: MRSA from your pork chops. You are what you eat. was Private vets putting their hands up. Gloria[_2_] Vegan 0 20-11-2007 06:35 PM
Beef and Pork Sausage Meat Loaf Rusty[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 28-08-2007 06:13 PM
Pork - The Other Canadian White Meat Gabby General Cooking 11 12-03-2004 06:26 AM