Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoker thermometer found at meijer

Group,
I have a Brinkman smoker (similar to the Cajun Coooker) with the plain
"low ideal hot" thermometer on it. I found at meijer a "grill top
thermometer" which will almost fit into the lid of my smoker. Just a
little grinding with a stone wheel in my dremel made it fit, and the
thermometer was like 5-6 bucks. I'm looking forward to see how much
more accurate it is.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

skeeter wrote:
> Group,
> I have a Brinkman smoker (similar to the Cajun Coooker) with the plain
> "low ideal hot" thermometer on it. I found at meijer a "grill top
> thermometer" which will almost fit into the lid of my smoker. Just a
> little grinding with a stone wheel in my dremel made it fit, and the
> thermometer was like 5-6 bucks. I'm looking forward to see how much
> more accurate it is.

It probably won't be more accurate. If you remember your high school
physics class, heat rises. As a result, a thermometer in the top of a
grill or smoker is in the wrong place. You want your thermometer at the
grill level, where the meat is, registering the cooking temperature.

It is not uncommon for a thermometer in the top if the unit to read
several hundred degrees hotter than a thermometer at the grill level.
It's not the thermometer's fault... it's physic's fault!

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Irony: God gave the tortise a drag factor of 0.03.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"skeeter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Group,
> I have a Brinkman smoker (similar to the Cajun Coooker) with the plain
> "low ideal hot" thermometer on it. I found at meijer a "grill top
> thermometer" which will almost fit into the lid of my smoker. Just a
> little grinding with a stone wheel in my dremel made it fit, and the
> thermometer was like 5-6 bucks. I'm looking forward to see how much
> more accurate it is.

Doesn't matter. Who cares what number the needle is pointing to? If it
gets to the "ideal" position, it is ideal for cooking. What a concept.
It's barbecue, not a space shuttle launch. Invest that $6 into a six pack
and it will make for a more enjoyable day.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Apr-2007, "skeeter" > wrote:

> Group,
> I have a Brinkman smoker (similar to the Cajun Coooker)
> with the plain
> "low ideal hot" thermometer on it. I found at meijer a
> "grill top
> thermometer" which will almost fit into the lid of my
> smoker. Just a
> little grinding with a stone wheel in my dremel made it
> fit, and the
> thermometer was like 5-6 bucks. I'm looking forward to
> see how much
> more accurate it is.

Check it out. I just shitcanned a brand new Taylor frig
thermometer because it's a full 7 degrees low. (I already
threw out the wrapper and receipt.) They're only about
six bucks, but even so, +/- 1 degree shouldn't be too
much to ask for. When, I went back to the hardware store
for a replacement, I checked through a dozen or so therms
and finally picked one that agreed with the majority
consensus. I was surprised at the difference I saw on
a whole bunch of thermometers. Only about six (half) of
them agreed with one another closer then two degrees.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:27:59 -0600, Mike Avery wrote:
>

>> It is not uncommon for a thermometer in the top if the unit to read
>> several hundred degrees hotter than a thermometer at the grill level.
>> It's not the thermometer's fault... it's physic's fault!
>>

> Several *hundred*? I don't think there's that drastic.
>
> The ECB thermometer - or the hole for it - sits about 3" above
> the upper grate. Which is about 1/3rd the distance from the grate
> to the apex of the dome. Which is right about where the center of
> your chicken or pork butt would rest.

Last time I fired up my offset smoker, I noticed the wireless
thermometer was reading about 250 at the grill, while the Big Green Egg
thermometer I put in the top of the smoke chamber was insisting it was
about 500F.

How common this is, I don't know.... but I've regularly observed it.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Programming is like sex: one mistake and you support it for life.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>If you remember your high school
> physics class, heat rises.

They were wrong. Gravity sucks. And it sucks more and more every year,
according to the gravity meter in my bathroom.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 10, 4:51 pm, "JohnO" > wrote:
> >If you remember your high school
> > physics class, heat rises.

> They were wrong. Gravity sucks. And it sucks more and more every year,
> according to the gravity meter in my bathroom.
>
> -John O

BTW...this is Meijer's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meijer Great
store, and it's not Walmart.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JohnO" > wrote:
> >If you remember your high school
> > physics class, heat rises.

> They were wrong. Gravity sucks. And it sucks more and more every year,
> according to the gravity meter in my bathroom.

And, combining the two: Heat only rises in a gravitational field!

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> > They were wrong. Gravity sucks. And it sucks more and more every year,
> > according to the gravity meter in my bathroom.

> And, combining the two: Heat only rises in a gravitational field!

<too much coffee this morning, my mind is spinning>
I used to use "Apollo 13" in a youth leadership training course, and
when the guys are freezing their butts off I always asked why they
didn't just put on their EVA suits, or at least extra socks. Only one
extra-sharp kid ever got close to the answer.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 11, 8:16 am, "JohnO" > wrote:
> > > They were wrong. Gravity sucks. And it sucks more and more every year,
> > > according to the gravity meter in my bathroom.

> > And, combining the two: Heat only rises in a gravitational field!

> <too much coffee this morning, my mind is spinning>
> I used to use "Apollo 13" in a youth leadership training course, and
> when the guys are freezing their butts off I always asked why they
> didn't just put on their EVA suits, or at least extra socks. Only one
> extra-sharp kid ever got close to the answer.
>
> -John O

It was because the inside of the EVA suit was rubberized and their
perspiration would only make it worse with the
cold ambient temperature inside the ship.

Also, FYI - coincidentally Apollo 13 took off today at 13:13pm cst.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> It was because the inside of the EVA suit was rubberized and their
> perspiration would only make it worse with the
> cold ambient temperature inside the ship.

Remember, they are in space....and freezing (no sweat).

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 11, 9:35 am, "JohnO" > wrote:
> > It was because the inside of the EVA suit was rubberized and their
> > perspiration would only make it worse with the
> > cold ambient temperature inside the ship.

> Remember, they are in space....and freezing (no sweat).
>
> -John O

Ill have to watch the video of apollo 13 again (the history channel
program of the REAL incident)
and see again what exactly was Lovell's quote regarding that.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 12, 9:12 am, "skeeter" > wrote:
> On Apr 11, 9:35 am, "JohnO" > wrote:
>
> > > It was because the inside of the EVA suit was rubberized and their
> > > perspiration would only make it worse with the
> > > cold ambient temperature inside the ship.

> > Remember, they are in space....and freezing (no sweat).

> > -John O

> Ill have to watch the video of apollo 13 again (the history channel
> program of the REAL incident)
> and see again what exactly was Lovell's quote regarding that.

It isn't in the movie or the documentary...gotta read Lovell's book,
Lost Moon.

I'll save ya the trouble, although it is a great book...heat doesn't
rise in zero-gravity. If you stay still you'll create a "blanket" of
warm air around you, and it will remain there until you move.

-John O