Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Beef Ribs

I've only ever BBQ'd pork ribs. Well, I've Q'd many other things. What I
meant to say is the only ribs I've Q'd were pork ribs. (Not counting the
ribs that come attached to a chicken, etc.)

Anyway, a friend who doesn't eat pork (I know, I know. I should pick my
friends more carefully. What can I say?) has asked me to BBQ some beef
ribs. I'd be happy to oblige him, but I'd like to know where to get
started. Specifically, what do I ask the butcher for? Are there things to
watch out for - e.g. not enough fat, too much fat...? How do they compare
with cooking spares? Length of time to cook? How to tell when they're
done? Seasoning?

Perhaps it's worth noting that I usually cook my spares at 250 and for
somewhere between 5 and 6 hours. I test by twisting the rib to see how
tightly it's bound to the meat and by bending the rack to see if the meat
will crack. Also, I usually use the BRITU rub (from virtualweberbullet.com)
or some variant.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Anon" > wrote in message
> I've only ever BBQ'd pork ribs. Well, I've Q'd many other things. What I
> meant to say is the only ribs I've Q'd were pork ribs. (Not counting the
> ribs that come attached to a chicken, etc.)
>
> Anyway, a friend who doesn't eat pork (I know, I know. I should pick my
> friends more carefully. What can I say?) has asked me to BBQ some beef
> ribs. I'd be happy to oblige him, but I'd like to know where to get
> started. Specifically, what do I ask the butcher for? Are there things to
> watch out for - e.g. not enough fat, too much fat...? How do they compare
> with cooking spares? Length of time to cook? How to tell when they're
> done? Seasoning?
>
> Perhaps it's worth noting that I usually cook my spares at 250 and for
> somewhere between 5 and 6 hours. I test by twisting the rib to see how
> tightly it's bound to the meat and by bending the rack to see if the meat
> will crack. Also, I usually use the BRITU rub (from virtualweberbullet.com)
> or some variant.
>
> I'm looking forward to your responses.
>
> Thanks.

The beef ribs you'll want are not spare-ribs from the side - they are in fact
the loin bones or the "standing rib roast and rib steak bones" they should be
readily available. They are also called Beef Back Ribs.

Here's a quite good recipe that will lend itself to a grill.

Ginger-Orange Barbecued Beef Back Ribs
East meets west in this Oriental BBQ.

Refrigerate: Overnight--Cook: 1 hour--Servings: Serves 8

6 lbs. beef back ribs
1 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. soy sauce 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp. garlic, peeled and minced
2 tsp. lemon zest, grated
1 tsp. salt
-- hot chili oil to taste

Trim excess fat from back ribs. Combine all other ingredients. Mix well and
pour over ribs. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight but no longer
than 24 hours.

" Here is where I start to grill slowly "

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Remove ribs from marinade. Reserve marinade in a
saucepan. Place ribs on a rack over a pan of hot water in oven.
Roast 1 hour, turning once halfway through the cooking until browned and
crisp.

Reduce marinade to a glaze-like consistency
(about 1-1/2 cups). Reduce oven heat to 375°F. Brush ribs with glaze,
roast 15 minutes, turn, brush with glaze and roast 15 minutes more

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Apr-2007, "Anon" > wrote:

> I've only ever BBQ'd pork ribs. Well, I've Q'd many other
> things. What I
> meant to say is the only ribs I've Q'd were pork ribs.
> (Not counting the
> ribs that come attached to a chicken, etc.)
>
> Anyway, a friend who doesn't eat pork (I know, I know. I
> should pick my
> friends more carefully. What can I say?) has asked me to
> BBQ some beef
> ribs. I'd be happy to oblige him, but I'd like to know
> where to get
> started. Specifically, what do I ask the butcher for?
> Are there things to
> watch out for - e.g. not enough fat, too much fat...? How
> do they compare
> with cooking spares? Length of time to cook? How to tell
> when they're
> done? Seasoning?
>
> Perhaps it's worth noting that I usually cook my spares at
> 250 and for
> somewhere between 5 and 6 hours. I test by twisting the
> rib to see how
> tightly it's bound to the meat and by bending the rack to
> see if the meat
> will crack. Also, I usually use the BRITU rub (from
> virtualweberbullet.com)
> or some variant.
>
> I'm looking forward to your responses.
>
> Thanks.

Like Dimitri says, "Beef Back Ribs" are what you want and
they should be readily available most places. Cook them
just like you do your spareribs. You can even use the same
rub, but simple S&P is good. I use Emeril's Bayou
Blast on everything I smoke except chicken. Some folks
don't like that.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Beef ribs NancyJaye General Cooking 4 17-02-2006 02:47 PM
Beef Ribs The Ranger General Cooking 6 17-05-2005 04:29 PM
Beef Ribs??? Randy Barbecue 39 06-09-2004 01:14 AM
Are beef (back) ribs the same as short ribs? Timothy Sebora Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:56 PM
Beef Ribs/Pork Ribs Peter Newman Barbecue 4 04-07-2004 07:47 PM