Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default dry spare ribs problem

hi there

I have a problem with making spare ribs. My smoker is home made, and looks
like a double barrel smoker (I use wood only). I have good results with hot
smoking turkey breast, ham, loin and BBQ chicken. when making spare ribs,
some people complain they are to dry.

here in the Netherlands spare ribs usualy come from the loin and do not have
to much meat on it. here is a link with a picture
http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/ribs.jpg (not my product, found it on
internet).
at first I gave them just a rub. later I made a marinade with the dry rub
and olive oil hoping this would solve the problem. so far no luck. usualy I
smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I smoke them for a shorter
periode, they become though, now they are a bit on th dry side. I do not
mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even more dry)

I'm thinking of three options:

ad water in the smoke chamber to keep the air moist. although I'm not sure
this is a problem. I usualy BBQ the ribs after hotsmoking pig meat.
drippings from smoking are collected at the bottom of the smoke chamber, it
can not go to the fire

mob. if this is an option, could you help me out with a rub and mopsauce
recpie? sugar might be a problem when smoking for 3 hours at 215F (sugar
might burn)

steam the ribs first. boiling is not an option, I'm not making soup. but I
think this option is cheating

hope you can help me out

Adriaan
The Netherlands

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 31, 7:31 am, "A. Kesteloo" >
wrote:
> hi there
>
> I have a problem with making spare ribs. My smoker is home made, and looks

> at first I gave them just a rub. later I made a marinade with the dry rub
> and olive oil hoping this would solve the problem. so far no luck. usualy I
> smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I smoke them for a shorter
> periode, they become though, now they are a bit on th dry side. I do not
> mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even more dry)
>

> Adriaan
> The Netherlands

My guess would be; you're not cooking long enough for the collegen to
break down. I typically smoke spares 5 to 7 hours at temps. between
215 & 260 and they're always moist and tender. I don't really mean
"moist and tender", I mean "perfect" (proper "bite" & "chew" along
with proper amount of moisture) .

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"A. Kesteloo" > wrote in message
> hi there
>
> I have a problem with making spare ribs. My smoker is home made, and looks
> like a double barrel smoker (I use wood only). I have good results with
> hot smoking turkey breast, ham, loin and BBQ chicken. when making spare
> ribs, some people complain they are to dry.
>
> here in the Netherlands spare ribs usualy come from the loin and do not
> have to much meat on it. here is a link with a picture
> http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/ribs.jpg (not my product, found it on
> internet).
> at first I gave them just a rub. later I made a marinade with the dry rub
> and olive oil hoping this would solve the problem. so far no luck. usualy
> I smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I smoke them for a shorter
> periode, they become though, now they are a bit on th dry side. I do not
> mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even more dry)
>
> I'm thinking of three options:
>
> ad water in the smoke chamber to keep the air moist. although I'm not sure
> this is a problem. I usualy BBQ the ribs after hotsmoking pig meat.
> drippings from smoking are collected at the bottom of the smoke chamber,
> it can not go to the fire
>
> mob. if this is an option, could you help me out with a rub and mopsauce
> recpie? sugar might be a problem when smoking for 3 hours at 215F (sugar
> might burn)
>
> steam the ribs first. boiling is not an option, I'm not making soup. but I
> think this option is cheating
>
> hope you can help me out
>
> Adriaan
> The Netherlands

The following could be considered cheating. I have done this with brisket
and with
ribs. It looks like you're cooking what would be called "baby back ribs" in
the U.S.

I initially smoke at a low temp for 2-2.5 hours, longer with the brisket.
Then I wrap
the ribs with heavy gauge foil, and finish roasting in the oven for another
2+/- hours
until they are moist and fall apart.

It works. Depending on the diners, you may have to do this secretly; this
could be deemed
to be sacrilegious.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 2, 4:16 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:31:29 +0200, A. Kesteloo wrote:
> > hi there

> > I have a problem with making spare ribs. My smoker is home made, and looks
> > like a double barrel smoker (I use wood only). I have good results with hot
> > smoking turkey breast, ham, loin and BBQ chicken. when making spare ribs,
> > some people complain they are to dry.

> > here in the Netherlands spare ribs usualy come from the loin and do not have
> > to much meat on it. here is a link with a picture
> >http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/ribs.jpg(not my product, found it on
> > internet).
> > at first I gave them just a rub. later I made a marinade with the dry rub
> > and olive oil hoping this would solve the problem. so far no luck. usualy I
> > smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I smoke them for a shorter
> > periode, they become though, now they are a bit on th dry side. I do not
> > mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even more dry)

> I'm pretty sure those are back ribs, not spare ribs. We sometimes
> get the Danish ribs here in the U.S. for dirt cheap. They're
> really small. They would have to be cooked hotter and faster
> *(275 for 1.75-2.25 hours), IMO. Since they are so small, they
> don't need much smoking time. You could start it lower and let
> it get hotter.
>
> And even then they may still be dry. It's almost impossible to
> keep a thin piece of meat moist when cooking with a dry method.
>
> -sw- Hide quoted text -

I'm with Steve on this one. It's the cut of meat you're using. You
have a butcher you can have cut an American full slab? There's a few
butcher, hog and gov't websites that show the exact cut for you to
show him. If you need, I can look them up on my other puter where I
have them saved.

A full slab will take 6 hours at those temps and be nice and juicy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thank,

all help on selecting the right ribs to get a perfect result is welcome
next friday I will bbq some ribs. this time I'll take pictures

Adriaan

"Tutall" > schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> On Apr 2, 4:16 am, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:31:29 +0200, A. Kesteloo wrote:
>> > hi there

>> > I have a problem with making spare ribs. My smoker is home made, and
>> > looks
>> > like a double barrel smoker (I use wood only). I have good results with
>> > hot
>> > smoking turkey breast, ham, loin and BBQ chicken. when making spare
>> > ribs,
>> > some people complain they are to dry.

>> > here in the Netherlands spare ribs usualy come from the loin and do not
>> > have
>> > to much meat on it. here is a link with a picture
>> >http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/ribs.jpg(not my product, found it
>> >on
>> > internet).
>> > at first I gave them just a rub. later I made a marinade with the dry
>> > rub
>> > and olive oil hoping this would solve the problem. so far no luck.
>> > usualy I
>> > smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I smoke them for a shorter
>> > periode, they become though, now they are a bit on th dry side. I do
>> > not
>> > mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even more dry)

>> I'm pretty sure those are back ribs, not spare ribs. We sometimes
>> get the Danish ribs here in the U.S. for dirt cheap. They're
>> really small. They would have to be cooked hotter and faster
>> *(275 for 1.75-2.25 hours), IMO. Since they are so small, they
>> don't need much smoking time. You could start it lower and let
>> it get hotter.
>>
>> And even then they may still be dry. It's almost impossible to
>> keep a thin piece of meat moist when cooking with a dry method.
>>
>> -sw- Hide quoted text -

> I'm with Steve on this one. It's the cut of meat you're using. You
> have a butcher you can have cut an American full slab? There's a few
> butcher, hog and gov't websites that show the exact cut for you to
> show him. If you need, I can look them up on my other puter where I
> have them saved.
>

> A full slab will take 6 hours at those temps and be nice and juicy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve,

Sorry but i ate the rest of them smoked Brazil nuts. :-)~
& Damm was thay good!!
got any more??
LOL

Willie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2-Apr-2007, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:31:29 +0200, A. Kesteloo
> wrote:
>
> > hi there
> >
> > I have a problem with making spare ribs. My
> > smoker is home made, and looks
> > like a double barrel smoker (I use wood only).
> > I have good results with hot
> > smoking turkey breast, ham, loin and BBQ
> > chicken. when making spare ribs,
> > some people complain they are to dry.
> >
> > here in the Netherlands spare ribs usualy come
> > from the loin and do not have
> > to much meat on it. here is a link with a
> > picture
> > http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/ribs.jpg
> > (not my product, found it on
> > internet).
> > at first I gave them just a rub. later I made
> > a marinade with the dry rub
> > and olive oil hoping this would solve the
> > problem. so far no luck. usualy I
> > smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I
> > smoke them for a shorter
> > periode, they become though, now they are a
> > bit on th dry side. I do not
> > mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even
> > more dry)

> I'm pretty sure those are back ribs, not spare
> ribs. We sometimes
> get the Danish ribs here in the U.S. for dirt
> cheap. They're
> really small. They would have to be cooked
> hotter and faster
> *(275 for 1.75-2.25 hours), IMO. Since they are
> so small, they
> don't need much smoking time. You could start
> it lower and let
> it get hotter.
>
> And even then they may still be dry. It's
> almost impossible to
> keep a thin piece of meat moist when cooking
> with a dry method.
>
> -sw

I just checked my stock to see for sure what they
weigh.
I have a twopack of spareribs that weighs
10.46/lbs,
4.75/kg. That might give you some idea for
comparison
purposes. I'm going to guess with Steve that yours
are
much smaller. Thus, we're comparing apples with
oranges
and are bound to fail.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

A. Kesteloo wrote:
> hi there
>
> I have a problem with making spare ribs. My smoker is home made, and looks
> like a double barrel smoker (I use wood only). I have good results with hot
> smoking turkey breast, ham, loin and BBQ chicken. when making spare ribs,
> some people complain they are to dry.
>
> here in the Netherlands spare ribs usualy come from the loin and do not have
> to much meat on it. here is a link with a picture
> http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/ribs.jpg (not my product, found it on
> internet).
> at first I gave them just a rub. later I made a marinade with the dry rub
> and olive oil hoping this would solve the problem. so far no luck. usualy I
> smoke the ribs for about 3 hours at 215F. If I smoke them for a shorter
> periode, they become though, now they are a bit on th dry side. I do not
> mop. (smoking at a lower temp makes them even more dry)
>
> I'm thinking of three options:
>
> ad water in the smoke chamber to keep the air moist. although I'm not sure
> this is a problem. I usualy BBQ the ribs after hotsmoking pig meat.
> drippings from smoking are collected at the bottom of the smoke chamber, it
> can not go to the fire
>
> mob. if this is an option, could you help me out with a rub and mopsauce
> recpie? sugar might be a problem when smoking for 3 hours at 215F (sugar
> might burn)
>
> steam the ribs first. boiling is not an option, I'm not making soup. but I
> think this option is cheating
>
> hope you can help me out
>
> Adriaan
> The Netherlands

My ribs seem to be juicier when I slather them with a cheap yellow
Swedish mustard and let them set out unwrapped in a cool breeze or
refrigerator to get tacky dry before applying the seasoned rub. Maybe
the mustard acts as a barrier to the salt? I don't know but they come
out tender and juicy.

How lbs of spare ribs? notbob General Cooking 25 18-02-2012 10:07 PM
dry spare ribs problem (continued) A. Kesteloo Barbecue 4 08-04-2007 05:39 PM
Spare ribs biig General Cooking 20 25-03-2007 08:42 PM
Spare Ribs Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Back Ribs vs Spare Ribs - Cooking/Smoking/Grilling Bob Hayden Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 06:46 PM