Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Charge for smoking a butt

DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple of butts' for his
family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly the work involved as he
has done them before, but doesn't want to be bothered.

What amount would you charge to do them for him?? We have NO idea. He
can well afford to pay a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance,

Nan & Rich

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 28, 6:48 am, "Olde Hippee" > wrote:
> DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple of butts' for his
> family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly the work involved as he
> has done them before, but doesn't want to be bothered.
>
> What amount would you charge to do them for him?? We have NO idea. He
> can well afford to pay a reasonable price.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nan & Rich

You gonna cook some of your own meat as well at the same time? That's
the first determiner isn't it? I'd guess not, otherwise you wouldn't
be asking. And we really don't know what the opportunity cost of your
time is do we? Meaning we don't know how precious your time is to you.
So I'm gonna leave that to you.
Some people have some extra time on their hands and don't mind a
distraction. Some are busy bees keeping busy mostly with busy work
which of course is important to them, then there's wives and mothers
who really are busy.

How much will the fuel cost you? Add 50% or so to that for your time
and money replacing it.
He ought to reinburse the 6 pack you were forced to consume during the
monotony.
And make him buy three bottles of your sauce.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 28, 8:48 am, "Olde Hippee" > wrote:
> DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple of butts' for his
> family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly the work involved as he
> has done them before, but doesn't want to be bothered.
>
> What amount would you charge to do them for him?? We have NO idea. He
> can well afford to pay a reasonable price.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nan & Rich

Here's one scenario:

15 Lbs meat/1.39 lb.: 20.85
Time 12 hrs 3.00 hr 36.00 (beer money)
Charcoal 1/2bag lump 6.00
Wood 6.00
Equipment 10.00

Total 78.85
Approx yield: 8 lbs
Price: 9.86 lb

Your figures may vary. No, it ain't cheep. 9.86 would be low,
meguesses

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28-Mar-2007, "Tutall" >
wrote:

> On Mar 28, 6:48 am, "Olde Hippee"
> > wrote:
> > DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple
> > of butts' for his
> > family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly
> > the work involved as he
> > has done them before, but doesn't want to be
> > bothered.
> >
> > What amount would you charge to do them for
> > him?? We have NO idea. He
> > can well afford to pay a reasonable price.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Nan & Rich

> You gonna cook some of your own meat as well at
> the same time? That's
> the first determiner isn't it? I'd guess not,
> otherwise you wouldn't
> be asking. And we really don't know what the
> opportunity cost of your
> time is do we? Meaning we don't know how
> precious your time is to you.
> So I'm gonna leave that to you.
> Some people have some extra time on their hands
> and don't mind a
> distraction. Some are busy bees keeping busy
> mostly with busy work
> which of course is important to them, then
> there's wives and mothers
> who really are busy.
>
> How much will the fuel cost you? Add 50% or so
> to that for your time
> and money replacing it.
> He ought to reinburse the 6 pack you were forced
> to consume during the
> monotony.
> And make him buy three bottles of your sauce.

Pierre did a good job on his estimate. He didn't
mention
doing the extra meat along with his own, but it
would be
illogical to make a special run just to be nice to
a friend.
I think the three bucks/hour (beer money) is
reasonable
as is the purchase of a few bottles of his special
sauce.
But, to keep everything on an even keel, I would
volunteer
to cook the friends butts for free considering the
standard
gratuity is a fifth of my choice. (He furnishes
the meat)

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Olde Hippee wrote:
> DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple of butts' for his
> family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly the work involved as he
> has done them before, but doesn't want to be bothered.
>
> What amount would you charge to do them for him?? We have NO idea. He
> can well afford to pay a reasonable price.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nan & Rich

Meat markets here in Central Tx. charge $1.00 per pound for smoking
bought meat. Remember, most of them have the pit going already. If you
are going to make a special fire for this job, you might want to add a
little for the wood you are going to burn, and your time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:31:37 -0500, shawn wrote:
>

>>Meat markets here in Central Tx. charge $1.00 per pound for smoking
>>bought meat. Remember, most of them have the pit going already. If you
>>are going to make a special fire for this job, you might want to add a
>>little for the wood you are going to burn, and your time.

> Have you ever had one of these places smoke something for you?
> I'm been tempted to take them up on some pork butts. And that's
> really a pretty good deal. 15lbs of butt for $15 (considering
> the time it takes to smoke them).
>
> I'm thinking of Iron Works in downtown Austin, in particular. I
> don't know who else to trust. And I wouldn't mind taking butts
> to IW as they don't normally cook them so I wouldn't feel as if
> I'm insulting their normal offerings.
>
> -sw

I have had it done at a few places. Usually it would be something that
they don't normally have offered as BBQ. (I like my prime rib smoked
med rare)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 28, 6:48 am, "Olde Hippee" > wrote:
> DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple of butts' for his
> family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly the work involved as he
> has done them before, but doesn't want to be bothered.
>
> What amount would you charge to do them for him?? We have NO idea. He
> can well afford to pay a reasonable price.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nan & Rich

First of all I just have to say HI to my namesake !! Second of all
about what to charge your friend. It all depends on how good a friend
it is I think, is this sort of thing reciprocal? Heck I would do a
Butt for a friend for free but most of my friends would show up with a
Butt, a 12 pack some lump of their choice and maybe a bottle of Wine
for Belladonna Blabbermouth, that is SWMABO for those who don't know
us. As for the suggestion to give away my sauce, I give up the first
jar to most of my friends for free then it's cash money after that !!
LOL.

I need to come by here a bit more often, I miss some of you guys.
Bruce n Gold Beach Oregon

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28 Mar 2007 07:13:20 -0700, "Tutall" >
wrote:

>>>You gonna cook some of your own meat as well at the same time? That's
>>>the first determiner isn't it? I'd guess not, otherwise you wouldn't
>>>be asking. And we really don't know what the opportunity cost of your
>>>time is do we? Meaning we don't know how precious your time is to you.
>>>So I'm gonna leave that to you.
>>>Some people have some extra time on their hands and don't mind a
>>>distraction. Some are busy bees keeping busy mostly with busy work
>>>which of course is important to them, then there's wives and mothers
>>>who really are busy.
>>>
>>>How much will the fuel cost you? Add 50% or so to that for your time
>>>and money replacing it.
>>>He ought to reinburse the 6 pack you were forced to consume during the
>>>monotony.
>>>And make him buy three bottles of your sauce.

you might charge him 1 butt for each one you smoke for him.
that way, you get something you can smoke for yourself.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 30, 8:37 am, "OL'Hippie" > wrote:
> On Mar 28, 6:48 am, "Olde Hippee" > wrote:
>
> > DH had a friend come over to 'order a couple of butts' for his
> > family. He wants to pay, and knows exactly the work involved as he
> > has done them before, but doesn't want to be bothered.

> > What amount would you charge to do them for him?? We have NO idea. He
> > can well afford to pay a reasonable price.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Nan & Rich

> First of all I just have to say HI to my namesake !! Second of all
> about what to charge your friend. It all depends on how good a friend
> it is I think, is this sort of thing reciprocal? Heck I would do a
> Butt for a friend for free but most of my friends would show up with a
> Butt, a 12 pack some lump of their choice and maybe a bottle of Wine
> for Belladonna Blabbermouth, that is SWMABO for those who don't know
> us. As for the suggestion to give away my sauce, I give up the first
> jar to most of my friends for free then it's cash money after that !!
> LOL.
>
> I need to come by here a bit more often, I miss some of you guys.
> Bruce n Gold Beach Oregon

Hi there OL'Hippie, I tried to spell mine so it would be obvious that
I'm a gal, but from some of the replies I've gotten, I failed. Oh
well, no foul, no harm!! Happy Que'in to ya. Looking forward to seeing
your neck of the woods when we go on an Alaskan Cruise in the next
couple of years.
First trip however is to Aruba where our middle dau is getting married
in Feb of 08. Haven't been there so it will be exciting all around!!
These are the things we have worked all our lives for and can do now
that we retired last June.
Everyone on the East coast stay dry!! DH just started auxiliary pumps
outside, we're near floating this am. At least 4" of rain so far. The
koi pond is full to overflowing, and the circuit breaker keeps
tripping so it isn't running. But at least it isn't AngelCrap and
needs to be shoveled. Looks like dau in NH may need that shovel again,
they had a foot last week.

Master Blaster, I like that idea of a duplicate piece of meat and so
did hubby. Thanx for the suggestion!! I think that will work well!!
OH/Nan

Smoking a pork butt Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 54 07-12-2011 02:33 PM
NYT to charge $$ notbob[_5_] General Cooking 6 19-03-2011 01:44 AM
How much should I charge? [email protected] General Cooking 111 14-10-2007 09:54 PM
Smoking butt on a WSM tmfast Barbecue 10 31-05-2006 12:19 AM
Smoking pork butt 1st time Dave Bugg Barbecue 13 16-05-2004 10:08 PM