Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default no luck lighting smoker

Group,
Ive had a green brinkman smoker (similar to a cajun cooker) and have
had a HORRIBLE time getting it lit. I've used an electric starter, a
chimney, wrapped up newspaper, charbroil parfaffin "candles", and even
standnign on my charcoal (either kingsford, cowboy brand, or this
mesquite briquettes I found at Meijer marked Frontier Charcoal). With
a blow torch. The most I get is a little bit of grey marks, that's
it, no continuous lighting. I can leave the electric starter on for
15-20 minutes and they all do not light,or it takes a long time, and
it's frustrating when you tell your friends you have a smoker but
can't produce any results.

The chimney starter was my latest failure, and with that I'd get the
newspaper lit at the bottom but then it'd just let off a little bit of
grey smoke and then smolder and go out. God forbid I do anything like
charcoal lighter fluid because that would not give the meat a good
flavor.

The times when it has lit I've had trouble keeping the temperature up
near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer. Somebody suggested that
since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which unfortunately has very
poor ventilation, that humidity might be the problem.
is there any warrant to that?

Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the firebox, which sit in
the base, may not allow very much ventilation therefore the charcoal
will not light very well.

Please, any advice would be appreciated, even if you tell me to go out
and buy a propane or electric assist, or the one with the side mounted
firebox with a cross draft (which would definitely hold more meat than
what I've got now), but I'd like one that burnt charcoal/wood to give
me the flavor I want, thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> The times when it has lit I've had trouble keeping the temperature up
> near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer. Somebody suggested that
> since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which unfortunately has very
> poor ventilation, that humidity might be the problem.
> is there any warrant to that?

Yes. You mention Meijer, which means you're in MI/OH/IN/IL or
thereabouts. Go to a Gordon's Food Service and buy a 20# bag of Royal
Oak lump. It'll burn...

> Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the firebox, which sit in
> the base, may not allow very much ventilation therefore the charcoal
> will not light very well.

There are a (at least) couple variations on this smoker firebox. The
bowl with a single hole for air is a POS that won't support a fire.
You have to drill 10-15 more 3/8" holes in the bottom, then pick up
some 1/2" fencing to hold the coals up off the bowl...form it into a
sub-bowl. The flat-bottomed version also needs more holes, and I use
another grill grate to hold the coals. Then, four small rocks between
the steel bottom and the grate to make room for more air and ashes.

Finally, you might need an additional hole in the top of the
smoker...about 1 inch wide should do it. I use an old fridge magnet to
control it's size. Then add a real thermometer. All of that should
cost about $12 and an hour

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

skeeter wrote:
> The chimney starter was my latest failure, and with that I'd get the
> newspaper lit at the bottom but then it'd just let off a little bit of
> grey smoke and then smolder and go out. God forbid I do anything like
> charcoal lighter fluid because that would not give the meat a good
> flavor.

The first few times I used a chimney, it didn't work for me. Now it
does. I think I got this from the FAQ. Take three pieces of
newspaper. Roll each of them into a cylinder. Wrap each cylinder
around so it looks kinda like a donut, and shove them into the bottom of
the chimney. You should have a clear vent hole going up the center of
the chimney.

Now fill the top with your favorite charcoal, or lump, or whatever.
Light the paper. It should take off and start your charcoal.

As to not lighting... you could well have damp charcoal or lump. To
test this theory, go to the store and get a fresh bag.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
Computer programmers do it byte by byte.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 26, 12:48 pm, "JohnO" > wrote:
> > The times when it has lit I've had trouble keeping the temperature up
> > near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer. Somebody suggested that
> > since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which unfortunately has very
> > poor ventilation, that humidity might be the problem.
> > is there any warrant to that?

> Yes. You mention Meijer, which means you're in MI/OH/IN/IL or
> thereabouts. Go to a Gordon's Food Service and buy a 20# bag of Royal
> Oak lump. It'll burn...
>
> > Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the firebox, which sit in
> > the base, may not allow very much ventilation therefore the charcoal
> > will not light very well.

> There are a (at least) couple variations on this smoker firebox. The
> bowl with a single hole for air is a POS that won't support a fire.
> You have to drill 10-15 more 3/8" holes in the bottom, then pick up
> some 1/2" fencing to hold the coals up off the bowl...form it into a
> sub-bowl. The flat-bottomed version also needs more holes, and I use
> another grill grate to hold the coals. Then, four small rocks between
> the steel bottom and the grate to make room for more air and ashes.
>
> Finally, you might need an additional hole in the top of the
> smoker...about 1 inch wide should do it. I use an old fridge magnet to
> control it's size. Then add a real thermometer. All of that should
> cost about $12 and an hour
>
> -John O

John,
You seem to know what you are talking about - 2 questions - if the
cowboy or whatver charcoal is left in its original
bad, and closed, will it absorb ambient humidity? I kind of figured
that the main problem would be ventilation, and was going to make some
variations. 1 was almost like "tuires" like in a blast furnace, with
some small CPU or computer case fans blowing in air when I wanted it
to, but I think I'll try the modifications you suggested. Should an
oven safe thermometer suffice since it is essentially a "real"
thermometer, with drilling the hole for it where the "warm/ideal/hot"
thermometer is now? Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 26, 2:04 pm, "skeeter" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 12:48 pm, "JohnO" > wrote:
>

> > > The times when it has lit I've had trouble keeping the temperature up
> > > near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer. Somebody suggested that
> > > since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which unfortunately has very
> > > poor ventilation, that humidity might be the problem.
> > > is there any warrant to that?

> > Yes. You mention Meijer, which means you're in MI/OH/IN/IL or
> > thereabouts. Go to a Gordon's Food Service and buy a 20# bag of Royal
> > Oak lump. It'll burn...

> > > Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the firebox, which sit in
> > > the base, may not allow very much ventilation therefore the charcoal
> > > will not light very well.

> > There are a (at least) couple variations on this smoker firebox. The
> > bowl with a single hole for air is a POS that won't support a fire.
> > You have to drill 10-15 more 3/8" holes in the bottom, then pick up
> > some 1/2" fencing to hold the coals up off the bowl...form it into a
> > sub-bowl. The flat-bottomed version also needs more holes, and I use
> > another grill grate to hold the coals. Then, four small rocks between
> > the steel bottom and the grate to make room for more air and ashes.

> > Finally, you might need an additional hole in the top of the
> > smoker...about 1 inch wide should do it. I use an old fridge magnet to
> > control it's size. Then add a real thermometer. All of that should
> > cost about $12 and an hour

> > -John O

> John,
> You seem to know what you are talking about -

Well, I have lots of experience with building fires, and I've fought
two Brinkmanns into submission. I guess that counts for
something. :-)

2 questions - if the
> cowboy or whatver charcoal is left in its original
> bad, and closed, will it absorb ambient humidity?

Keeping the bags closed should help, but they're paper, and eventually
the moisture is going to get in regardless.

> I kind of figured
> that the main problem would be ventilation, and was going to make some
> variations. 1 was almost like "tuires" like in a blast furnace, with
> some small CPU or computer case fans blowing in air when I wanted it
> to, but I think I'll try the modifications you suggested.

I've done that and it works. A 12V fan connected to a battery is
easiest. It'll blow ash around, maybe onto the meat.

> Should an
> oven safe thermometer suffice since it is essentially a "real"
> thermometer, with drilling the hole for it where the "warm/ideal/hot"
> thermometer is now? Thanks in advance!

Putting one inside won't work for two reasons: one, it gets covered
with smoke then becomes unreadable, and two, you have to open the lid
to look. Instead, get a grill thermometer from Home Depot. There's one
with a short stem, you drill a 3/16 (?) hole and mount it anywhere. I
use a long stem, mounted just below the top grill rack. Rather than
mounting with a nut, I drilled a hole in a wine cork and slid that
along the thermo stem. That holds it in place well enough, and the
actual thermo is reading in the location where I want the heat.

Don't worry about drilling holes...the smoker will rust on the bottom
long before the new holes are any issue.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 27, 1:19 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> >> Yes. You mention Meijer, which means you're in MI/OH/IN/IL or
> >> thereabouts. Go to a Gordon's Food Service and buy a 20# bag of Royal
> >> Oak lump. It'll burn...

> >> There are a (at least) couple variations on this smoker firebox. The
> >> bowl with a single hole for air is a POS that won't support a fire.
> >> You have to drill 10-15 more 3/8" holes in the bottom, then pick up
> >> some 1/2" fencing to hold the coals up off the bowl...form it into a
> >> sub-bowl. The flat-bottomed version also needs more holes, and I use
> >> another grill grate to hold the coals. Then, four small rocks between
> >> the steel bottom and the grate to make room for more air and ashes.

> >> Finally, you might need an additional hole in the top of the
> >> smoker...about 1 inch wide should do it. I use an old fridge magnet to
> >> control it's size. Then add a real thermometer. All of that should
> >> cost about $12 and an hour

> >> -John O

> > John,
> > You seem to know what you are talking about - 2 questions - if the
> > cowboy or whatver charcoal is left in its original
> > bad, and closed, will it absorb ambient humidity?

> Another thing: Don't ever use Cowboy Lump Charcoal. That stuff
> is made from all sorts of different kinds of wood and gives off a
> bad smell (indicat9ing ot me that it's been treated wood).
>
> -sw- Hide quoted text -

If I remember, when I did try royal oak lump I did have half way
decent results. What do you think of the
"Frontier Charcoal" that meijer sells - just a dressed up kingsford or
is it closer to lump although it's in
briquettes?

I think the moisture in the lump might be the big part of my problem -
Ill switch back to ROC lump and see how
that works. ANY charcoal should do more than just give up a small puff
of smoke when you stand on it with
a propane torch.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Mar-2007, "skeeter" >
wrote:

> Group,
> Ive had a green brinkman smoker (similar to a
> cajun cooker) and have
> had a HORRIBLE time getting it lit. I've used
> an electric starter, a
> chimney, wrapped up newspaper, charbroil
> parfaffin "candles", and even
> standnign on my charcoal (either kingsford,
> cowboy brand, or this
> mesquite briquettes I found at Meijer marked
> Frontier Charcoal). With
> a blow torch. The most I get is a little bit of
> grey marks, that's
> it, no continuous lighting. I can leave the
> electric starter on for
> 15-20 minutes and they all do not light,or it
> takes a long time, and
> it's frustrating when you tell your friends you
> have a smoker but
> can't produce any results.
>
> The chimney starter was my latest failure, and
> with that I'd get the
> newspaper lit at the bottom but then it'd just
> let off a little bit of
> grey smoke and then smolder and go out. God
> forbid I do anything like
> charcoal lighter fluid because that would not
> give the meat a good
> flavor.
>
> The times when it has lit I've had trouble
> keeping the temperature up
> near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer.
> Somebody suggested that
> since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which
> unfortunately has very
> poor ventilation, that humidity might be the
> problem.
> is there any warrant to that?
>
> Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the
> firebox, which sit in
> the base, may not allow very much ventilation
> therefore the charcoal
> will not light very well.
>
> Please, any advice would be appreciated, even if
> you tell me to go out
> and buy a propane or electric assist, or the one
> with the side mounted
> firebox with a cross draft (which would
> definitely hold more meat than
> what I've got now), but I'd like one that burnt
> charcoal/wood to give
> me the flavor I want, thanks in advance!

The first thing you do is get down off that
mountain so your
fire can get some oxygen. Failing that, try
installing a pit-
minder guru to blow some air. I won't be surprised
if we learn
that you live above 5000 feet and from the sounds,
it's more
like 9,000.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26 Mar 2007 10:37:08 -0700, "skeeter" > wrote:

>Group,

<snip>

Although it sounds like the charcoal might be the problem in this
case, I've had good luck lighting lump charcoal in a chimney after
spraying the newpaper with a little Pam. It makes the paper burn
longer and I think it helps get the chimney going.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Radar" > wrote in message
> On 26 Mar 2007 10:37:08 -0700, "skeeter" > wrote:
>
>>Group,

> <snip>
>
> Although it sounds like the charcoal might be the problem in this
> case, I've had good luck lighting lump charcoal in a chimney after
> spraying the newpaper with a little Pam. It makes the paper burn
> longer and I think it helps get the chimney going.

I was about to suggest drizzling a little vegetable oil on the newspaper,
even a few drops on the lump to get it going. I do that and it works well.
Would much rather have that burning off that all the stuff from briquettes.

B-Worthey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 27, 3:35 pm, "skeeter" > wrote:
> On Mar 27, 1:19 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> > > John,
> > > You seem to know what you are talking about - 2 questions - if the
> > > cowboy or whatver charcoal is left in its original
> > > bad, and closed, will it absorb ambient humidity?

> > Another thing: Don't ever use Cowboy Lump Charcoal. That stuff
> > is made from all sorts of different kinds of wood and gives off a
> > bad smell (indicat9ing ot me that it's been treated wood).

> > -sw- Hide quoted text -

> If I remember, when I did try royal oak lump I did have half way
> decent results. What do you think of the
> "Frontier Charcoal" that meijer sells - just a dressed up kingsford or
> is it closer to lump although it's in
> briquettes?

Just get the Royal Oak...it's <$5 per bag on sale.

> I think the moisture in the lump might be the big part of my problem -
> Ill switch back to ROC lump and see how
> that works. ANY charcoal should do more than just give up a small puff
> of smoke when you stand on it with
> a propane torch.

Lump can't hold moisture like briquettes. At least, not as much. In my
chimney I sometimes need to add paper, maybe a second load of two more
four-page sheets. Then give it 15 minutes.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 27, 8:46 pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 26-Mar-2007, "skeeter" >
> wrote:
>

> > Group,
> > Ive had a green brinkman smoker (similar to a
> > cajun cooker) and have
> > had a HORRIBLE time getting it lit. I've used
> > an electric starter, a
> > chimney, wrapped up newspaper, charbroil
> > parfaffin "candles", and even
> > standnign on my charcoal (either kingsford,
> > cowboy brand, or this
> > mesquite briquettes I found at Meijer marked
> > Frontier Charcoal). With
> > a blow torch. The most I get is a little bit of
> > grey marks, that's
> > it, no continuous lighting. I can leave the
> > electric starter on for
> > 15-20 minutes and they all do not light,or it
> > takes a long time, and
> > it's frustrating when you tell your friends you
> > have a smoker but
> > can't produce any results.

> > The chimney starter was my latest failure, and
> > with that I'd get the
> > newspaper lit at the bottom but then it'd just
> > let off a little bit of
> > grey smoke and then smolder and go out. God
> > forbid I do anything like
> > charcoal lighter fluid because that would not
> > give the meat a good
> > flavor.

> > The times when it has lit I've had trouble
> > keeping the temperature up
> > near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer.
> > Somebody suggested that
> > since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which
> > unfortunately has very
> > poor ventilation, that humidity might be the
> > problem.
> > is there any warrant to that?

> > Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the
> > firebox, which sit in
> > the base, may not allow very much ventilation
> > therefore the charcoal
> > will not light very well.

> > Please, any advice would be appreciated, even if
> > you tell me to go out
> > and buy a propane or electric assist, or the one
> > with the side mounted
> > firebox with a cross draft (which would
> > definitely hold more meat than
> > what I've got now), but I'd like one that burnt
> > charcoal/wood to give
> > me the flavor I want, thanks in advance!

> The first thing you do is get down off that
> mountain so your
> fire can get some oxygen. Failing that, try
> installing a pit-
> minder guru to blow some air. I won't be surprised
> if we learn
> that you live above 5000 feet and from the sounds,
> it's more
> like 9,000.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

The store he mentions is in the Great Lakes region. He's at 700 feet,
roughly, unless he's in the hills of Ohio.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 28, 7:30 am, "JohnO" > wrote:
> On Mar 27, 8:46 pm, "Brick" > wrote:
>

> > On 26-Mar-2007, "skeeter" >
> > wrote:

> > > Group,
> > > Ive had a green brinkman smoker (similar to a
> > > cajun cooker) and have
> > > had a HORRIBLE time getting it lit. I've used
> > > an electric starter, a
> > > chimney, wrapped up newspaper, charbroil
> > > parfaffin "candles", and even
> > > standnign on my charcoal (either kingsford,
> > > cowboy brand, or this
> > > mesquite briquettes I found at Meijer marked
> > > Frontier Charcoal). With
> > > a blow torch. The most I get is a little bit of
> > > grey marks, that's
> > > it, no continuous lighting. I can leave the
> > > electric starter on for
> > > 15-20 minutes and they all do not light,or it
> > > takes a long time, and
> > > it's frustrating when you tell your friends you
> > > have a smoker but
> > > can't produce any results.

> > > The chimney starter was my latest failure, and
> > > with that I'd get the
> > > newspaper lit at the bottom but then it'd just
> > > let off a little bit of
> > > grey smoke and then smolder and go out. God
> > > forbid I do anything like
> > > charcoal lighter fluid because that would not
> > > give the meat a good
> > > flavor.

> > > The times when it has lit I've had trouble
> > > keeping the temperature up
> > > near the "ideal" mark on the thermometer.
> > > Somebody suggested that
> > > since I leave my charcoal in my garage, which
> > > unfortunately has very
> > > poor ventilation, that humidity might be the
> > > problem.
> > > is there any warrant to that?

> > > Also the smoker looks like the vent holes on the
> > > firebox, which sit in
> > > the base, may not allow very much ventilation
> > > therefore the charcoal
> > > will not light very well.

> > > Please, any advice would be appreciated, even if
> > > you tell me to go out
> > > and buy a propane or electric assist, or the one
> > > with the side mounted
> > > firebox with a cross draft (which would
> > > definitely hold more meat than
> > > what I've got now), but I'd like one that burnt
> > > charcoal/wood to give
> > > me the flavor I want, thanks in advance!

> > The first thing you do is get down off that
> > mountain so your
> > fire can get some oxygen. Failing that, try
> > installing a pit-
> > minder guru to blow some air. I won't be surprised
> > if we learn
> > that you live above 5000 feet and from the sounds,
> > it's more
> > like 9,000.

> > --
> > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> The store he mentions is in the Great Lakes region. He's at 700 feet,
> roughly, unless he's in the hills of Ohio.
>
> -John O- Hide quoted text -

Yup, Im in Northwest Indiana, the armpit of the midwest. Not very far
above see level since Im only 12 miles
south of Lake Michigan. It's probably an airflow problem - I'll give a
combination of suggestions a try.
Maybe Ill turn down the pressure on my air compressor and use the blow
gun and give my lungs rest
until it starts flaming really good.
Thanks to one and all for the Q advice!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Yup, Im in Northwest Indiana, the armpit of the midwest. Not very far
> above see level since Im only 12 miles
> south of Lake Michigan. It's probably an airflow problem - I'll give a
> combination of suggestions a try.
> Maybe Ill turn down the pressure on my air compressor and use the blow
> gun and give my lungs rest
> until it starts flaming really good.
> Thanks to one and all for the Q advice!

It's been just a bit humid these last few days on this part of the
planet.

Anywy, get a bag of fresh charcoal or lump and load half what you need
in the chimney. Put the other half of the "damp" charcoal on top. As
it heats up the stuff on top will dry out and burn just fine.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28-Mar-2007, "skeeter" >
wrote:

> On Mar 28, 7:30 am, "JohnO" >
> wrote:
> > On Mar 27, 8:46 pm, "Brick"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > On 26-Mar-2007, "skeeter" >
> > > wrote:

<snip>

I won't be
> > > surprised
> > > if we learn
> > > that you live above 5000 feet and from the
> > > sounds,
> > > it's more
> > > like 9,000.

> > > --
> > > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> > The store he mentions is in the Great Lakes
> > region. He's at 700 feet,
> > roughly, unless he's in the hills of Ohio.
> >
> > -John O- Hide quoted text -

> Yup, Im in Northwest Indiana, the armpit of the
> midwest. Not very far
> above see level since Im only 12 miles
> south of Lake Michigan. It's probably an airflow
> problem - I'll give a
> combination of suggestions a try.
> Maybe Ill turn down the pressure on my air
> compressor and use the blow
> gun and give my lungs rest
> until it starts flaming really good.
> Thanks to one and all for the Q advice!

Ah, Sinus Gulch. I know it well. Given the
forgoing
detail, I can't imagine what is causing your
dilemma
other then damp charcoal. You ought to be able to
start it out on the ground with just a little
kindling to
get it going. I sure never had a problem getting a
fire
going in that region except when the wood was wet.
Even then we'd find something dry enough to start
it with. We heated with hard coal when I was
growing
up. We never had a problem getting it started.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Lighting Charcoal Brick[_3_] Barbecue 4 05-04-2009 08:17 PM
Lighting charcoal Dimitri General Cooking 4 05-04-2009 09:19 AM
barbeque lighting barbeque Barbecue 20 22-01-2006 04:08 AM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM