Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Bob Bob is offline

Default Chicken question

This week end, I plan to Que a whole chicken (I don't mean a live one, one
bought at a grocery store not cut up).

Have been queuing for more years than I like to think about, but have never
had outstanding success with chicken.

I don't plan to brine it, thought I'd apply rub under and over the skin and
put a sprig of rosemary in the cavity.

Expect to cook around 400 degrees, probably for a couple hours.

Questions:
Should I do anything besides rub in preparation - perhaps inject it with
something?

What temperature is suggested?

Aprox' cooking time?

Breast up or down?

Thanks for any advice - Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Chicken question - Spatchcocked bird March 2004 [small].jpg (0/1)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 04:24:14 -0600, "Bob" >
wrote:

>This week end, I plan to Que a whole chicken (I don't mean a live one, one
>bought at a grocery store not cut up).
>
>Have been queuing for more years than I like to think about, but have never
>had outstanding success with chicken.
>
>I don't plan to brine it, thought I'd apply rub under and over the skin and
>put a sprig of rosemary in the cavity.
>
>Expect to cook around 400 degrees, probably for a couple hours.
>
>Questions:
>Should I do anything besides rub in preparation - perhaps inject it with
>something?
>
>What temperature is suggested?
>
>Aprox' cooking time?
>
>Breast up or down?
>
>Thanks for any advice - Bob

Spatchcock it, paint it with EVOO, rub with your favourite whatevers,
and put it onto a 375 - 400F Cooker - skin side down for the first 4
minutes - then flip to skin side up and finish - maybe another 15-20
minutes. Remove, tent/rest for a short time - slice & serve.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15-Mar-2007, "Bob" >
wrote:

> This week end, I plan to Que a whole chicken (I
> don't mean a live one, one
> bought at a grocery store not cut up).

Aw shucks. It's a lot more fun when you chase
them down and throw them kicking and sqwacking
on the grill.

> Have been queuing for more years than I like to
> think about, but have never
> had outstanding success with chicken.

Unless you overcooked, it's hard to imagine how
you managed to avoid at least a few instances of
good chicken cooked outdoors.

> I don't plan to brine it, thought I'd apply rub
> under and over the skin and
> put a sprig of rosemary in the cavity.

Brining is not necessary for good chicken, but it
does produce a new dining experience. I surely
don't brine every chicken I cook, but brined bird
is too good to avoid forever.

> Expect to cook around 400 degrees, probably for
> a couple hours.

400°F will incinerate any bird I ever had in way
less
then two hours. The last birds I cooked were
spatch-
cocked, but not brined. They were browned over a
very hot charcoal fire and then finished in the
offset
at about 250°F. Actually TFM® handled the grill
chores
for those birds. We were grilling steaks on the
same
fire, so lower grill temperatures were out of the
question.

I cooked a 5.5# bird last weekend for the usual
neighbor-
hood party. I just thawed it, dried it, rubbed it
down with
'Old Bay', tied it up and put it in the smoker
with the ribs
and butt. It came out with a golden 'honey'
colored skin
and the guests inhaled it. I'm not pimpin' Old
Bay, but
it fills the gap when you're in a hurry and don't
have any-
thing else prepared. I keep Emeril's 'Bayou Blast'
on
hand at all times, but it sux on chicken.

> Questions:
> Should I do anything besides rub in preparation
> - perhaps inject it with
> something?

Rub should get the job done. I often forget the
inside.
Don't make that mistake.

> What temperature is suggested?

250°F to 325°F

> Aprox' cooking time?

Approx 2 hrs.

> Breast up or down?

Breast up. Let the back take the punishment
from the grill.

> Thanks for any advice - Bob

That was my 2¢ worth.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> "Bob" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> >Questions:
> >Should I do anything besides rub in preparation - perhaps inject it with
> >something? What temperature is suggested? Aprox' cooking time?
> >Breast up or down? Thanks for any advice - Bob
> >

> Spatchcock it, paint it with EVOO, rub with your favourite whatevers,
> and put it onto a 375 - 400F Cooker - skin side down for the first 4
> minutes - then flip to skin side up and finish - maybe another 15-20
> minutes. Remove, tent/rest for a short time - slice & serve.

Harry's advice is excellent.

Another thing, Bob, don't post binaries to alt.food.barbecue.

Post them to alt.binaries.food!

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16 Mar 2007 03:39:45 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
>> "Bob" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> >Questions:
>> >Should I do anything besides rub in preparation - perhaps inject it with
>> >something? What temperature is suggested? Aprox' cooking time?
>> >Breast up or down? Thanks for any advice - Bob
>> >

>> Spatchcock it, paint it with EVOO, rub with your favourite whatevers,
>> and put it onto a 375 - 400F Cooker - skin side down for the first 4
>> minutes - then flip to skin side up and finish - maybe another 15-20
>> minutes. Remove, tent/rest for a short time - slice & serve.

>Harry's advice is excellent.
>
>Another thing, Bob, don't post binaries to alt.food.barbecue.
>
>Post them to alt.binaries.food!

Oopsies - that was not Bob - It was Mois - Forgot where I was again,
Nikolaichik. As long as it doesn't happen in a shopping Centre or
something, I'm OK. ;o(

Harry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> >> "Bob" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> >Another thing, Bob, don't post binaries to alt.food.barbecue.
> >
> >Post them to alt.binaries.food!

> Oopsies - that was not Bob - It was Mois - Forgot where I was again,
> Nikolaichik. As long as it doesn't happen in a shopping Centre or
> something, I'm OK. ;o(

Klotz!

~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BBQ'd a 3.5kg chicken yesterday.
I use a rotisserie and cook at abour 200\220C for about 50 minutes. i also
use a electronic temperature meat thermometer which tells me when the inside
temo is 83C. No tub just a bread & herbs stuffing.
marshall