FoodBanter.com

-   -   Odd brisket (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/117495-odd-brisket.html)

swibirun 26-02-2007 11:49 PM

Odd brisket

The wife and I went to Famous Dave's BBQ today for lunch. The spare ribs
and chicken were about as good as you can expect from a commercial BBQ
place. But the brisket was unlike any I've seen (not in a good way).

The brisket had absolutely zero smoke ring. The weird thing is the side
that had been the bottom of the brisket had a very thin "bark" on it. The
top had none of that "bark" at all. The slices had a uniform brownish
color all the way through (again, no smoke ring). And a somewhat salty
taste.

Alexis, who has only had my smoked brisket, was disappointed. Her question
cracked me up. She didn't ask how they cooked it. She asked me, "What
HAPPENED to that?"

My only guess was that they used some kind of liquid smoke/rub on the
bottom, seared it, and then threw it in a regular oven. Ick.

Chris (hoping for good smoking weather this weekend!)
http://inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings.blogspot.com

Rob Mills 27-02-2007 12:14 AM

Odd brisket

"swibirun" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> The wife and I went to Famous Dave's BBQ today for lunch. <<<

We have one of those in Tulsa. While it isn't my favorite I do like their
ribs and pulled pork sandwiches. Legends BBQ is my favorite in
T-Town but they don't have the pulled pork. RM~

[email protected][_2_] 27-02-2007 07:29 AM

Odd brisket

On Feb 26, 4:49 pm, "swibirun" > wrote:

SNIP

> My only guess was that they used some kind of liquid smoke/rub on the
> bottom, seared it, and then threw it in a regular oven. Ick.

Betcha $100 you are right. There is a place here in town that smokes
their meat for a a couple of hours, then puts in in the oven overnight
to finish. It has that same look you are talking about, and it is the
same way my brisket turns out if I get caught in a quick forming
rainstorm and have to bail out of bbqing outiside.

On the other hand, I once saw a recipe that the folks cooked the meat
inside an oven overnight then took it outside to the pit to finish it
off before serving.

In either case, I would have to think that the resulting product would
taste like a kind of smokey pot roast.

Nasty.

Robert

Glenn[_1_] 27-02-2007 05:54 PM

Odd brisket

I cook my brisket in the oven overnight (12 hours). Lots of rub. set at
200. It's wrapped in foil so putting it outside does no good. The smoke
can't get to the meat anyway. In the morning I take it out. pour off
the fat grease and put it on the BBQ at 250 to smoke (4 hours). I get a
1/8 to 1/4 inch smoke ring and it's juicy and tender.

Glenn[_1_] 27-02-2007 05:57 PM

Odd brisket

Sounds like TGI Fridays. They cook their brisket and ribs in a Pressure
cooker then dip them in a BBQ sauce.

Buzz1[_1_] 28-02-2007 12:24 AM

Odd brisket

"swibirun" > wrote in message
.. .
> The wife and I went to Famous Dave's BBQ today for lunch. The spare ribs
> and chicken were about as good as you can expect from a commercial BBQ
> place. But the brisket was unlike any I've seen (not in a good way).

FWIW famous dave's buys the briskets already cooked--just heat and
serve---smokey bones does the same!

Buzz

The Reverend[_1_] 03-03-2007 08:20 PM

Odd brisket

"swibirun" > wrote in message
.. .
> The wife and I went to Famous Dave's BBQ today for lunch. The spare ribs
> and chicken were about as good as you can expect from a commercial BBQ
> place. But the brisket was unlike any I've seen (not in a good way).
>
> The brisket had absolutely zero smoke ring. The weird thing is the side
> that had been the bottom of the brisket had a very thin "bark" on it. The
> top had none of that "bark" at all. The slices had a uniform brownish
> color all the way through (again, no smoke ring). And a somewhat salty
> taste.

Famous Dave's finishes everything in the broiler before serving.

--
It's Fosco, Dammit!

http://fosco-eats.blogspot.com/
To be updated soon.