Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Ordered my new grill today

Summit S-450 from Home Depot.

At first I had rejected Weber because I didn't like the 2006 Summits.
But when I saw the 2007s, I decided to wait until they were available.
Had to wait a month for them to show up on HD's website as in stock.
I wanted good quality cause I cook on it seven days a week during the
summer to help out the A/C indoors, so I went a cut above the
Char-Broils and Charm-Glows, which, according to what I read, are now
made in China. The S-450 is about $1900 with tax and delivery, which
leaves me cash from my bonus to put in the bank.

It looks like they've incorporated the Ducane design with Weber's
features. Ducane's are heavily discounted everywhere, and it won't
surprise me if you can't get them after this year. If so, that means I
wouldn't be able to get parts in about five years when it's time to
start replacing worn out ones. Weber parts for the S-450 should be
around for years.

I considered the S-650, but decided that was overkill. My old Ducane
has been ample for my needs and the S-450 has 538 square inches of
cooking area compared to 300 for my 20-year-old Ducane, which is going
to the dump. No need to burn gas to heat unused cooking grids.

It should be here first week in March. Can't wait.

Raymond

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"raymond" > wrote in message
> Summit S-450 from Home Depot.
>
> At first I had rejected Weber because I didn't like the 2006 Summits.
> But when I saw the 2007s, I decided to wait until they were available.
> Had to wait a month for them to show up on HD's website as in stock.
> I wanted good quality cause I cook on it seven days a week during the
> summer to help out the A/C indoors, so I went a cut above the
> Char-Broils and Charm-Glows, which, according to what I read, are now
> made in China. The S-450 is about $1900 with tax and delivery, which
> leaves me cash from my bonus to put in the bank.
>
> It looks like they've incorporated the Ducane design with Weber's
> features. Ducane's are heavily discounted everywhere, and it won't
> surprise me if you can't get them after this year. If so, that means I
> wouldn't be able to get parts in about five years when it's time to
> start replacing worn out ones. Weber parts for the S-450 should be
> around for years.
>
> I considered the S-650, but decided that was overkill. My old Ducane
> has been ample for my needs and the S-450 has 538 square inches of
> cooking area compared to 300 for my 20-year-old Ducane, which is going
> to the dump. No need to burn gas to heat unused cooking grids.
>
> It should be here first week in March. Can't wait.
>
> Raymond

I would order cast iron grates for your new grill. Stainless steel is a very
poor heat conductor. A cast iron
grate will sear and char the surface of any meat you are cooking directly
better than SS or the Weber porcelein coated steel grate. I recently bought
the porcelein coated cast iron grate on my Weber Silver Genesis B, and the
difference in creating a "char-rare" steak was striking. It is also much
easier to grill fish, even flaky gill fish, with the flat side of the grate
positioned on top of the grill. You can turn the fish without it going
everywhere.
Cheers,

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:59:35 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"raymond" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Summit S-450 from Home Depot.
>>
>> At first I had rejected Weber because I didn't like the 2006 Summits.
>> But when I saw the 2007s, I decided to wait until they were available.
>> Had to wait a month for them to show up on HD's website as in stock.
>> I wanted good quality cause I cook on it seven days a week during the
>> summer to help out the A/C indoors, so I went a cut above the
>> Char-Broils and Charm-Glows, which, according to what I read, are now
>> made in China. The S-450 is about $1900 with tax and delivery, which
>> leaves me cash from my bonus to put in the bank.
>>
>> It looks like they've incorporated the Ducane design with Weber's
>> features. Ducane's are heavily discounted everywhere, and it won't
>> surprise me if you can't get them after this year. If so, that means I
>> wouldn't be able to get parts in about five years when it's time to
>> start replacing worn out ones. Weber parts for the S-450 should be
>> around for years.
>>
>> I considered the S-650, but decided that was overkill. My old Ducane
>> has been ample for my needs and the S-450 has 538 square inches of
>> cooking area compared to 300 for my 20-year-old Ducane, which is going
>> to the dump. No need to burn gas to heat unused cooking grids.
>>
>> It should be here first week in March. Can't wait.
>>
>> Raymond
>>

>I would order cast iron grates for your new grill. Stainless steel is a very
>poor heat conductor. A cast iron
>grate will sear and char the surface of any meat you are cooking directly
>better than SS or the Weber porcelein coated steel grate. I recently bought
>the porcelein coated cast iron grate on my Weber Silver Genesis B, and the
>difference in creating a "char-rare" steak was striking. It is also much
>easier to grill fish, even flaky gill fish, with the flat side of the grate
>positioned on top of the grill. You can turn the fish without it going
>everywhere.
>Cheers,
>
>Kent

Thanks, Kent. I would rather have cast iron, too. I'll check into
ordering them for the S-450.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-23, raymond > wrote:
> Summit S-450 from Home Depot.
>
> At first I had rejected Weber because I didn't like the 2006 Summits.
> But when I saw the 2007s, I decided to wait until they were available.
> Had to wait a month for them to show up on HD's website as in stock.
> I wanted good quality cause I cook on it seven days a week during the
> summer to help out the A/C indoors, so I went a cut above the
> Char-Broils and Charm-Glows, which, according to what I read, are now
> made in China. The S-450 is about $1900 with tax and delivery, which
> leaves me cash from my bonus to put in the bank.
>
> It looks like they've incorporated the Ducane design with Weber's
> features. Ducane's are heavily discounted everywhere, and it won't
> surprise me if you can't get them after this year. If so, that means I
> wouldn't be able to get parts in about five years when it's time to
> start replacing worn out ones. Weber parts for the S-450 should be
> around for years.
>
> I considered the S-650, but decided that was overkill. My old Ducane
> has been ample for my needs and the S-450 has 538 square inches of
> cooking area compared to 300 for my 20-year-old Ducane, which is going
> to the dump. No need to burn gas to heat unused cooking grids.

Hmm.. Should I ask what sort of stuff you're planning on using it
for? I'm guessing nothing but hot-n-fast (as opposed to low-n-slow)?
I'm a recent convert away from hot-n-fast and while I still do that
sort of cooking (steak searing, pizzas requiring LOTS of heat,shrimp,etc),
I also use my new grill for low-n-slow 15-20+ hour cooks and couldn't
do without the smoking abilities I've now got. We'll be doing some
pizzas sometime this weekend since I got my new Fibrament pizza stone
the other day (my old one, a pampered chef model, exploded in the
BBQ several months ago when doing pizzas at ~750degrees) and can't
wait.. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your new toy!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I recently bought the porcelein coated cast iron grate on my Weber
>>> Silver Genesis B,<<<

Ditto here, it was like the difference between night and day on my "B".
I would think/hope they come standard on the one that Raymond has on
the way. RM~

PS, Fired mine up last night, first time this year.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Weber Genesis Cast Iron Grate (was Ordered my new grill today)

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

>>> (and would Home Depot or Lowe's have that grate?)<<<

Got mine at Home Depot after receiving a coupon for 15 or 20% discount (had
to have some kind of relief) in the mail. Lowes has some Weber accessories
but not a lot. I'm not real sure but think they are for the "B" and "C"
only. RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:59:35 -0800, "Kent" > wrote:

>"raymond" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Summit S-450 from Home Depot.
>>
>> At first I had rejected Weber because I didn't like the 2006 Summits.
>> But when I saw the 2007s, I decided to wait until they were available.
>> Had to wait a month for them to show up on HD's website as in stock.
>> I wanted good quality cause I cook on it seven days a week during the
>> summer to help out the A/C indoors, so I went a cut above the
>> Char-Broils and Charm-Glows, which, according to what I read, are now
>> made in China. The S-450 is about $1900 with tax and delivery, which
>> leaves me cash from my bonus to put in the bank.
>>
>> It looks like they've incorporated the Ducane design with Weber's
>> features. Ducane's are heavily discounted everywhere, and it won't
>> surprise me if you can't get them after this year. If so, that means I
>> wouldn't be able to get parts in about five years when it's time to
>> start replacing worn out ones. Weber parts for the S-450 should be
>> around for years.
>>
>> I considered the S-650, but decided that was overkill. My old Ducane
>> has been ample for my needs and the S-450 has 538 square inches of
>> cooking area compared to 300 for my 20-year-old Ducane, which is going
>> to the dump. No need to burn gas to heat unused cooking grids.
>>
>> It should be here first week in March. Can't wait.
>>
>> Raymond
>>

>I would order cast iron grates for your new grill. Stainless steel is a very
>poor heat conductor. A cast iron
>grate will sear and char the surface of any meat you are cooking directly
>better than SS or the Weber porcelein coated steel grate. I recently bought
>the porcelein coated cast iron grate on my Weber Silver Genesis B, and the
>difference in creating a "char-rare" steak was striking. It is also much
>easier to grill fish, even flaky gill fish, with the flat side of the grate
>positioned on top of the grill. You can turn the fish without it going
>everywhere.
>Cheers,
>
>Kent

I emailed Weber and asked about cast iron grates for the Summit.
This is their response below.

Dear Raymond,
Thanks for choosing Weber. The raw cast iron grates have been
discontinued. We now make a porcelain coated cast iron. Those grates
only fit on the Genesis line. The Summit grills only use Stainless
Steel grates at this time.
If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate
to contact us. If replying via email, please leave this message
intact as it will help us to respond faster.

Thank you for choosing Weber.