Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lodge cast iron grill

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975

I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cam" wrote
> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975
>
> I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
> and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
> seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.
>
> Cam

Yes. Years ago. Maybe not exactly the same, but very similar and it was a
Lodge.

I really liked it as a small, portable grill, but I left it out in the rainy
weather and it rusted to pieces. I should have taken better care of it,
especially since it was only about $35 then and it's (WOW!) $115 now. Great
for steaks, chops, burgers, hot dogs, etc.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, says...
> On 8 Feb 2007 12:41:29 -0800, Cam wrote:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975

> > I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
> > and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
> > seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.

> $115 for about 100" of usable grill space is a little steep.
>
> -sw

I believe Lodge charges by the pound rather than by useable surface
area. The math is easier, especially with the circularly-disposed items
in their line.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Feb-2007, " BOB" > wrote:

> "Cam" wrote
> > https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975
> >
> > I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
> > and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
> > seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.
> >
> > Cam

> Yes. Years ago. Maybe not exactly the same, but very similar and it was
> Lodge.
>
> I really liked it as a small, portable grill, but I left it out in the
> rainy
> weather and it rusted to pieces. I should have taken better care of it,
> especially since it was only about $35 then and it's (WOW!) $115 now.
> Great
> for steaks, chops, burgers, hot dogs, etc.
>
> BOB

I used to have a cheap knockoff hibachi type grill shaped like that. It
worked very well, but was a cheap POS and I let it go to pot. I used
to see cast iron versions in some of the asian stores for very reasonable
prices, like $25 or less, but I never bought one and now they have dis-
appeared. I would really like to have one for grilling single steaks for
myself and SWAMBO. I am faced with making do with second best or
firing up the side firebox of my offset pit and using it as a grill. That
pretty
much uses up a chimney full of fuel wheras the hibachi would get by
with maybe eight briquettes or a similar load of lump.

I know I can improvise ways to do my single steak, but like Cam, I
have a serious case of the 'WANTS'. I'm really ****ed at myself for
not grabbing one when they were still readily available right here in
town.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
. ..

> On 8-Feb-2007, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> "Cam" wrote
>> > https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975
>> >
>> > I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
>> > and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
>> > seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.
>> >
>> > Cam

>> Yes. Years ago. Maybe not exactly the same, but very similar and it was
>> Lodge.
>>
>> I really liked it as a small, portable grill, but I left it out in the
>> rainy
>> weather and it rusted to pieces. I should have taken better care of it,
>> especially since it was only about $35 then and it's (WOW!) $115 now.
>> Great
>> for steaks, chops, burgers, hot dogs, etc.
>>
>> BOB

> I used to have a cheap knockoff hibachi type grill shaped like that. It
> worked very well, but was a cheap POS and I let it go to pot. I used
> to see cast iron versions in some of the asian stores for very reasonable
> prices, like $25 or less, but I never bought one and now they have dis-
> appeared. I would really like to have one for grilling single steaks for
> myself and SWAMBO. I am faced with making do with second best or
> firing up the side firebox of my offset pit and using it as a grill. That
> pretty
> much uses up a chimney full of fuel wheras the hibachi would get by
> with maybe eight briquettes or a similar load of lump.
>
> I know I can improvise ways to do my single steak, but like Cam, I
> have a serious case of the 'WANTS'. I'm really ****ed at myself for
> not grabbing one when they were still readily available right here in
> town.

http://www.amazon.com/KAY-HOME-PRODU.../dp/B0000CBIL3

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Feb-2007, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
> wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > On 8-Feb-2007, " BOB" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Cam" wrote

<snip>

> > I know I can improvise ways to do my single steak, but
> > like Cam, I
> > have a serious case of the 'WANTS'. I'm really ****ed at
> > myself for
> > not grabbing one when they were still readily available
> > right here in
> > town.

> http://www.amazon.com/KAY-HOME-PRODU.../dp/B0000CBIL3

That's the exact POS that I had. You can keep it, thank you.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Big Jim

> <snip>
>
>> > I know I can improvise ways to do my single steak, but
>> > like Cam, I
>> > have a serious case of the 'WANTS'. I'm really ****ed at
>> > myself for
>> > not grabbing one when they were still readily available
>> > right here in

> --

About 42-43 years ago I used to fish with and Ole Country Boy. We would
drive down to Cedar Key and fish for sheephead around pilings where the old
RR bridge was. The RR bridge and Him are long gone now, Anyway at a
crossroad on the way down there was a Country Store. Sold all kinds of
stuff. There was a cast-iron charcoal grill in there that he just had to
have. He didn't get it the first time we saw it but brung enough money with
him the next time through. Welp that thing looked just like the Lodge one
there. Except it also had a C-I pot that sit on top. It was shaped like the
grill, about 18" long with rounded ends and about 2" sides. Fish Fryer.. I
would like to have had one myself. But it seemed real expensive to me. Was
around $16.00. That was about ½ a weeks pay back then.
Any way Ernie bought that thing. We sit out in the yard many a night
while he cooked fish and hush puppies on it. The charcoal made a pleasant
glow in the dark and the Fish and Hush puppies was sure good.

Them was the good ole days..
I reckon me and that Ole Man caught a couple of truckloads of fish
together.

About every third down to Cedar Key we were able to shoot a wild pig too.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cam wrote:
> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975
>
> I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
> and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
> seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.
>
> Cam

Lodge items are a LOT cheaper via Amazon (and free shipping, too!)

> http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pr...=UTF8&s=garden

or it that link breaks- http://tinyurl.com/28nn5b

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 9, 3:32 am, "Lawrence Akutagawa" >
wrote:
> "Brick" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > On 8-Feb-2007, " BOB" > wrote:

> >> "Cam" wrote

> >> Yes. Years ago. Maybe not exactly the same, but very similar and it was
> >> Lodge.

> >> I really liked it as a small, portable grill, but I left it out in the
> >> rainy
> >> weather and it rusted to pieces. I should have taken better care of it,
> >> especially since it was only about $35 then and it's (WOW!) $115 now.
> >> Great
> >> for steaks, chops, burgers, hot dogs, etc.

> >> BOB

> > I used to have a cheap knockoff hibachi type grill shaped like that. It
> > worked very well, but was a cheap POS and I let it go to pot. I used
> > to see cast iron versions in some of the asian stores for very reasonable
> > prices, like $25 or less, but I never bought one and now they have dis-
> > appeared. I would really like to have one for grilling single steaks for
> > myself and SWAMBO. I am faced with making do with second best or
> > firing up the side firebox of my offset pit and using it as a grill. That
> > pretty
> > much uses up a chimney full of fuel wheras the hibachi would get by
> > with maybe eight briquettes or a similar load of lump.

> > I know I can improvise ways to do my single steak, but like Cam, I
> > have a serious case of the 'WANTS'. I'm really ****ed at myself for
> > not grabbing one when they were still readily available right here in
> > town.

> http://www.amazon.com/KAY-HOME-PRODU.../dp/B0000CBIL3

Thanks for the tip, Amazon has free shipping for the next few days -
nice for something made of cast iron. I ordered mine tonight.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 10, 8:54 pm, "Cam" > wrote:
> On Feb 9, 3:32 am, "Lawrence Akutagawa" >
> wrote:

> > > I used to have a cheap knockoff hibachi type grill shaped like that. It
> > > worked very well, but was a cheap POS and I let it go to pot. I used
> > > to see cast iron versions in some of the asian stores for very reasonable
> > > prices, like $25 or less, but I never bought one and now they have dis-
> > > appeared. I would really like to have one for grilling single steaks for
> > > myself and SWAMBO. I am faced with making do with second best or
> > > firing up the side firebox of my offset pit and using it as a grill. That
> > > pretty
> > > much uses up a chimney full of fuel wheras the hibachi would get by
> > > with maybe eight briquettes or a similar load of lump.

> > > I know I can improvise ways to do my single steak, but like Cam, I
> > > have a serious case of the 'WANTS'. I'm really ****ed at myself for
> > > not grabbing one when they were still readily available right here in
> > > town.

> >http://www.amazon.com/KAY-HOME-PRODU.../dp/B0000CBIL3

> Thanks for the tip, Amazon has free shipping for the next few days -
> nice for something made of cast iron. I ordered mine tonight.

I think I thanked the wrong guy, I bought the Lodge for $70 with free
shipping. Thanks Jess.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-10, > wrote:
> Cam wrote:
>> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975
>>
>> I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
>> and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
>> seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.

So -- what's the appeal of a Hibachi grill anyways besides the obvious size
(generally small)? We had one when I was a kid -- it was heavy cast iron
and had a grill <1' square if I recall -- more likely 10" would be my guess..

I can do everything those can do on my Kamado by sitting the grill right on top
of the hot coals for those ultra-searing cooks.. Works great and no extra equip
needed. But -- perhaps I'm missing something?

P.S. Sorry if I'm steering this thread off-course!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rick F." > wrote in message
> On 2007-02-10, > wrote:
>> Cam wrote:
>>> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3975
>>>
>>> I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
>>> and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
>>> seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.

> So -- what's the appeal of a Hibachi grill anyways besides the obvious
> size
> (generally small)? We had one when I was a kid -- it was heavy cast iron
> and had a grill <1' square if I recall -- more likely 10" would be my
> guess..
>
> I can do everything those can do on my Kamado by sitting the grill right
> on top
> of the hot coals for those ultra-searing cooks.. Works great and no extra
> equip
> needed. But -- perhaps I'm missing something?
>
> P.S. Sorry if I'm steering this thread off-course!

Portability? K's aren't the easiest grill to toss in the back for your
next picnic...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-14, Brian D. > wrote:

> Portability? K's aren't the easiest grill to toss in the back for your
> next picnic...

Very true.. Perhaps a Hibachi might be a tad easier to use.. One of these
days I'll get my hands on a K1 or perhaps a K3 to go with my K7..
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 14 Feb 2007 01:29:46 GMT, "Rick F." > wrote:

>On 2007-02-14, Brian D. > wrote:
>>
>> Portability? K's aren't the easiest grill to toss in the back for your
>> next picnic...

>Very true.. Perhaps a Hibachi might be a tad easier to use.. One of these
>days I'll get my hands on a K1 or perhaps a K3 to go with my K7..

K3 is a good choice, even if a little cumbersome to tote to a picnic.
The dome releases very easily to make it deemed to be portable.

I love mine! And my #7 too, but it doesn't go out much, eh . . . .

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 10, 10:55 am, wrote:
> Cam wrote:
> >https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...u=logic&idProd...

> > I started surfing the Lodge website mentioned in the Tepanyaki thread
> > and saw this little hibachi style charcoal grill. Has anyone one here
> > seen one in action? I have a serious case of the wants.

> > Cam

> Lodge items are a LOT cheaper via Amazon (and free shipping, too!)
>
> >http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pr...ns-Charcoal/dp...

> or it that link breaks- http://tinyurl.com/28nn5b

So I finally received my new grill last week. I love it. I fired up a
chimney of lump, and once the coals were started I dumped them into
the firebox. I let that burn for about 20 minutes to get the cast iron
as hot as I could and burn off any residue from manufacturing. You
should have heard the sound when the steaks hit the grill. The sizzle
was like music. I got a better sear with that little grill than I have
with any other piece of equipment I've used. I'm very pleased, I've
got a fun new toy.

Cam

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cam" > wrote:
> On Feb 10, 10:55 am, wrote:
> > Cam wrote:
> > >https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...u=logic&idProd.
> > > [ . . . ]

> > or it that link breaks- http://tinyurl.com/28nn5b

Thanks, Cam. Nice looking piece. I just ordered one as an Anniversary
present for SWMABO. 'Tis the season!

~Semper Fi~