Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default flank steak

i am looking for a mouth watering recipe for flank steak, i will be
bbqin up 4 or 5 of them tomorrow, thanks

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"lowdown" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>i am looking for a mouth watering recipe for flank steak, i will be
> bbqin up 4 or 5 of them tomorrow, thanks

Oh yeah, I forgot....who wants to fire the first shot in a flame war over
the difference between flank steak and london broil?

KIDDING OF COURSE

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Look up some of the good recipes for carne asada steak.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ups.com,
lowdown >spewed forth:
> i am looking for a mouth watering recipe for flank steak, i will be
> bbqin up 4 or 5 of them tomorrow, thanks

½ fifth Bushmills Irish whiskey
2-3 small cans pineapple juice
Teriyaki Sauce
Garlic powder ½-1 tablespoons
A-1 sauce 2-3 tablespoons
worstershire 4-5 shakes
Soy Sauce 2-3 shakes

Marinade 24 hours or more

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-03 14:25:17 -0600, "ChairMan" > said:

> In ups.com,
> lowdown >spewed forth:
>> i am looking for a mouth watering recipe for flank steak, i will be
>> bbqin up 4 or 5 of them tomorrow, thanks

> ½ fifth Bushmills Irish whiskey
> 2-3 small cans pineapple juice
> Teriyaki Sauce
> Garlic powder ½-1 tablespoons
> A-1 sauce 2-3 tablespoons
> worstershire 4-5 shakes
> Soy Sauce 2-3 shakes
>
> Marinade 24 hours or more

teriyaki sauce = soy sauce + sugar

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:28:00 -0800, Nonnymus >
> wrote:
>
>> ---Nonnymus---
>>
>> TINSTAAFL
>>There Is No Such Thing
>> As A Free Lunch

> I prefer it the way The Admiral first put it. [1]
> TANSTAAFL
> (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
>
> [1] In, I believe, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

I think your attribution is correct - but I beg to differ only in that I
have had MANY free luches.

(Truly - more free dinners than lunches, but....)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Hal Burton" > wrote in message

> teriyaki sauce = soy sauce + sugar

Not true, Hal.

Teriyaki sauce is made from shoyu, mirin and sake.

No sugar. You can add other ingredients to suit a particular recipe, but not
sugar.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I appreciate the information about TINSTAAFL vs. TANSTAAFL. For the time
being, I attribute it to the economist that would write it on the black
board and refer to it frequently during his lectures. I have read the
book as well, and understand what you refer to.

Nonny

adm wrote:
> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:28:00 -0800, Nonnymus >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ---Nonnymus---
>>>
>>> TINSTAAFL
>>> There Is No Such Thing
>>> As A Free Lunch

>> I prefer it the way The Admiral first put it. [1]
>> TANSTAAFL
>> (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
>>
>> [1] In, I believe, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

> I think your attribution is correct - but I beg to differ only in that I
> have had MANY free luches.
>
> (Truly - more free dinners than lunches, but....)

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:41:09 -0000, "adm" > wrote:
>

>>"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I prefer it the way The Admiral first put it. [1]
>>> TANSTAAFL
>>> (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)
>>>
>>> [1] In, I believe, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_

>>I think your attribution is correct - but I beg to differ only in that I
>>have had MANY free luches.
>>
>>(Truly - more free dinners than lunches, but....)

> Oh, you paid for 'em. Perhaps not financially, but. And--you may
> well have enjoyed the paying, say by being the providers' friend.
>
> -denny-

Nah.....I'm a Heinlein junkie myself and fully appreciate TANSTAAFL, but my
wife is a restaurant reviewer for our local paper.

(OK - so some of the free lunches have been hard work in terms of food
quality, but all the time I have spent "reviewing" my day job has been
paying me anyway....plus my day job gives me a lot of free (only in terms of
nett cash - not in terms of time) entertaining.

You're probably right - there is some cost or trade off associated with
everything though....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Feb-2007, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

> "Hal Burton" > wrote in message
> >
> > teriyaki sauce = soy sauce + sugar

> Not true, Hal.
>
> Teriyaki sauce is made from shoyu, mirin and sake.
>
> No sugar. You can add other ingredients to suit a
> particular recipe, but not
> sugar.
>
> Graeme

teriyaki
[tehr-uh-YAH-kee, tehr-ee-YAK-kee]
n. 1. A Japanese dish consisting of food, such as beef or
chicken, that has
been marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, SAKE (or SHERRY),
sugar,
ginger and seasonings before being grilled, broiled or
fried. The sugar in the
marinade gives the cooked food a slight glaze. 2. A homemade
or
commercially prepared sauce made with the above ingredients.
teriyaki adj.
A phrase describing food cooked in this manner, as in
"chicken teriyaki."

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based
on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=4919

KIKKOMAN Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce, (Labeled "The
Original Teriyaki").
Ingredients:

Naturally brewed soy sauce (water, soy beans, wheat, salt),
wine, high
fructose corn syrup, water, vinegar, salt, spices; onion
powder, succinic
acid, garlic powder, sodium benzoate: less then 1/10 of 1%
as preservative.

No sugar, but high fructose corn syrup is high on the list.

I checked a few more sources which only added to my
confusion. I'm
going to make the wild guess that it depends on what is
available and
what the cook does with it. (Kinda like Indian Curry).
Apparently the
concoction must at least have soy and wine.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
. ..

> On 4-Feb-2007, "Graeme...in London"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Hal Burton" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > teriyaki sauce = soy sauce + sugar

> > Not true, Hal.
> >
> > Teriyaki sauce is made from shoyu, mirin and sake.
> >
> > No sugar. You can add other ingredients to suit a
> > particular recipe, but not
> > sugar.
> >
> > Graeme

> teriyaki
> [tehr-uh-YAH-kee, tehr-ee-YAK-kee]
> n. 1. A Japanese dish consisting of food, such as beef or
> chicken, that has
> been marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, SAKE (or SHERRY),
> sugar,
> ginger and seasonings before being grilled, broiled or
> fried. The sugar in the
> marinade gives the cooked food a slight glaze. 2. A homemade
> or
> commercially prepared sauce made with the above ingredients.
> teriyaki adj.
> A phrase describing food cooked in this manner, as in
> "chicken teriyaki."
>
> $B%%(B Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based
> on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>
> http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=4919
>
> KIKKOMAN Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce, (Labeled "The
> Original Teriyaki").
> Ingredients:
>
> Naturally brewed soy sauce (water, soy beans, wheat, salt),
> wine, high
> fructose corn syrup, water, vinegar, salt, spices; onion
> powder, succinic
> acid, garlic powder, sodium benzoate: less then 1/10 of 1%
> as preservative.
>
> No sugar, but high fructose corn syrup is high on the list.
>
> I checked a few more sources which only added to my
> confusion. I'm
> going to make the wild guess that it depends on what is
> available and
> what the cook does with it. (Kinda like Indian Curry).
> Apparently the
> concoction must at least have soy and wine.

Well, Howard. I stand to be corrected.

I thumbed through a few Japanese cookbooks before I submitted my comment and
none of the teriyaki sauce recipes contained or called for sugar.

A little further investigation on the WWW seems to contradict my case.

Huh! Don't tell anyone, but I've probably been screwing up for years.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 20:08:33 -0000, Graeme...in London wrote:
>
>> "Hal Burton" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> teriyaki sauce = soy sauce + sugar

>> Not true, Hal.
>>
>> Teriyaki sauce is made from shoyu, mirin and sake.
>>
>> No sugar.

> Teriyaki always has some sugar (or some sort of sweet juice - I
> use pineapple) added to it. It's not just sugar and soy, though -
> That's just sweet soy sauce. I also consider ginger mandatory.
> Optional is sesame oil, depending what I'm cooking.
>
> -sw

I usually use pineapple, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, sesame
oil, ginger and garlic, but that's my own homemade version. No recipe,
that's just what I do.

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Feb-2007, "Graeme...in London"
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > On 4-Feb-2007, "Graeme...in London"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > "Hal Burton" > wrote in message

> > > Not true, Hal.

< bunch of snippage in here, mostly about what Teriyaki
is supposed to be made of. From what I can see, it's one
of those items that varies depending on who you ask.

> > No sugar, but high fructose corn syrup is high on the
> > list.
> >
> > I checked a few more sources which only added to my
> > confusion. I'm
> > going to make the wild guess that it depends on what is
> > available and
> > what the cook does with it. (Kinda like Indian Curry).
> > Apparently the
> > concoction must at least have soy and wine.

> Well, Howard. I stand to be corrected.
>
> I thumbed through a few Japanese cookbooks before I
> submitted my comment and
> none of the teriyaki sauce recipes contained or called for
> sugar.
>
> A little further investigation on the WWW seems to
> contradict my case.
>
> Huh! Don't tell anyone, but I've probably been screwing up
> for years.
>
> Graeme

I have only one local Japanese store and while they stock
many
imported Japanese products their 'Soy' shelf is largely
populated
with Kikkoman products. Most recently I'm having the best
luck
shopping in the Vietnamese and Cuban stores around here. I'm
about 15 miles from the nearest 'known' Thai store which has
marvelous selection of noodles on offer.

You'd likely find vast differences between Amori, Hachinohe
and
Osaka too. The local Japanese cultures were established long
before motorized transportation became available. I visited
one
particular town where the whole area was festooned with
statues
of penises. Perhaps that's how they compensate for no sugar
in their Teriyaki.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Feb-2007, "kilikini" >
wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 20:08:33 -0000, Graeme...in London
> > wrote:
> >
> >> "Hal Burton" > wrote in message

> >> Not true, Hal.
> >>
> >> Teriyaki sauce is made from shoyu, mirin and sake.
> >>
> >> No sugar.

> > Teriyaki always has some sugar (or some sort of sweet
> > juice - I
> > use pineapple) added to it. It's not just sugar and
> > soy, though -
> > That's just sweet soy sauce. I also consider ginger
> > mandatory.
> > Optional is sesame oil, depending what I'm cooking.
> >
> > -sw

> I usually use pineapple, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar,
> brown sugar, sesame
> oil, ginger and garlic, but that's my own homemade
> version. No recipe,
> that's just what I do.
>
> kili

Maybe I wasn't too far wrong when I guessed to GW that
Teriyaki probably depended on who was making it and what
was available to make it with.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-02-05 06:52:25 -0500, "Graeme...in London"
> said:

> I thumbed through a few Japanese cookbooks before I submitted my comment and
> none of the teriyaki sauce recipes contained or called for sugar.
>
> A little further investigation on the WWW seems to contradict my case.

We were both partially right. The basic recipe for teriyaki sauce is
soy + mirin + sugar. Other ingredients can be added, but are not
required. I have actually made teriyaki sauce multiple times, according
to the traditional, basic, recipe, but forgot one ingredient of the
trinity when writing my earlier post.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

kilikini wrote:
Snip
> I usually use pineapple, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, sesame
> oil, ginger and garlic, but that's my own homemade version. No recipe,
> that's just what I do.
>
> kili
> --
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Kili,
You always have tasty sounding recipes. When is your cook book coming
out!! : ) Maybe you can toss in one or two recipes from that rascal
hubby too, what's his name? ; )
Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Piedmont wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
> Snip
>> I usually use pineapple, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar,
>> sesame oil, ginger and garlic, but that's my own homemade version.
>> No recipe, that's just what I do.
>>
>> kili
>> --
>> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
>>

> Kili,
> You always have tasty sounding recipes. When is your cook book coming
> out!! : ) Maybe you can toss in one or two recipes from that rascal
> hubby too, what's his name? ; )
> Piedmont

Actually, the idea of a cookbook has been proposed to us by my MIL. We're
mulling it over. :~)

kili & TFM® <------- the Hawaiian Hillbillies
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> > Kili,
> > You always have tasty sounding recipes. When is your cook book coming
> > out!! : ) Maybe you can toss in one or two recipes from that rascal
> > hubby too, what's his name? ; )
> > Piedmont

> Actually, the idea of a cookbook has been proposed to us by my MIL. We're
> mulling it over. :~)

Go for it!

-John O

Flank Steak jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 122 18-06-2016 06:45 AM
Flank steak BOBOBOnoBO® General Cooking 26 15-06-2007 02:02 PM
flank steak lowdown Barbecue 10 28-11-2005 09:29 PM
flank steak lowdown Barbecue 1 26-11-2005 01:42 AM
flank steak lowdown Barbecue 14 11-10-2005 03:46 AM