Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Saturday at the Pit

Got an experiment going on, brined a 10 lb picnic in a sea salt,
honey, cider vinegar brine for 3 weeks in an attempt to get a cured
ham type flavor. Put it on the pit at 6:00 AM and will take it off
with the temp at 180 degrees to enable slicing. Using Charwood and
maple chunks for flavor.

Of course there is plenty of room in the pit, so I'm doing a couple of
6 lb butt roasts for some pulled pork. Using Danny Gaulden's rib rub
recipe, Fergy's vinegar/mustard sauce, and the sweet/spicy tomato BBQ
sauces from the FAQ (with modifications, of course.

Will post a couple of pix in the binary group later.

Steve in Sandy Eggo, where the outside air temp is 53 degrees at 7:00
AM and the pit warmed up nicely.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jan-2007, Steve Reyer > wrote:

> Got an experiment going on, brined a 10 lb picnic in a sea salt,
> honey, cider vinegar brine for 3 weeks in an attempt to get a cured
> ham type flavor. Put it on the pit at 6:00 AM and will take it off
> with the temp at 180 degrees to enable slicing. Using Charwood and
> maple chunks for flavor.
>
> Of course there is plenty of room in the pit, so I'm doing a couple of
> 6 lb butt roasts for some pulled pork. Using Danny Gaulden's rib rub
> recipe, Fergy's vinegar/mustard sauce, and the sweet/spicy tomato BBQ
> sauces from the FAQ (with modifications, of course.
>
> Will post a couple of pix in the binary group later.
>
> Steve in Sandy Eggo, where the outside air temp is 53 degrees at 7:00
> AM and the pit warmed up nicely.

With the acidity of that cider vinegar, I'm guessing that you're going
to be disappointed with the texture. I'd expect mush rather then cured
ham. I respect your aggressive experiment though.
--
Brick (Changed computer 'again)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:36:09 GMT, "Brick" >
wrote:

>On 27-Jan-2007, Steve Reyer > wrote:
>
>> Got an experiment going on, brined a 10 lb picnic in a sea salt,
>> honey, cider vinegar brine for 3 weeks in an attempt to get a cured
>> ham type flavor. Put it on the pit at 6:00 AM and will take it off
>> with the temp at 180 degrees to enable slicing. Using Charwood and
>> maple chunks for flavor.
>>
>> Of course there is plenty of room in the pit, so I'm doing a couple of
>> 6 lb butt roasts for some pulled pork. Using Danny Gaulden's rib rub
>> recipe, Fergy's vinegar/mustard sauce, and the sweet/spicy tomato BBQ
>> sauces from the FAQ (with modifications, of course.
>>
>> Will post a couple of pix in the binary group later.
>>
>> Steve in Sandy Eggo, where the outside air temp is 53 degrees at 7:00
>> AM and the pit warmed up nicely.

>With the acidity of that cider vinegar, I'm guessing that you're going
>to be disappointed with the texture. I'd expect mush rather then cured
>ham. I respect your aggressive experiment though.

Well, that's why I've got the butts on. I *know* those will turn out
nicely. And the vinegar was 1 cup for 2 gallons of brine, put in
after two weeks of just the salt & honey. Last time I tried it, the
outer part of the picnic had that nice ham flavor but not near the
bone. That was after a week and a half... We'll see <g>.

Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Reyer" > wrote in message
> Last time I tried it, the
> outer part of the picnic had that nice ham flavor but not near the
> bone. That was after a week and a half... We'll see <g>.
>
> Steve

Inject it