Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Teppanyaki grill conversion???

I love smoking with my SNP and grilling with my natural gas supplied Sunbeam
(Sorry Hank Hill....I had a line run).

But I also like to do teppanyaki (aka "hibachi") style cooking at home, like
they do at Japanese steakhouses (a totally American tradition, per our
Japanese friends).
For now, I start the meat on the grill until very rare and then cut it and
finish it in an electric skillet on high.

I would love to be able to cook it all on one surface like one of those
teppanyaki restaurant grills, but looked into one for the home and they run
$2100 just for the parts. Uh....no thanks.

Brainstorming from this point forward:
Then I started wondering. Would it be possible to temporarily convert a gas
grill (natural gas) to such a teppanyaki grill?

If I could get a piece of stainless steel cut to the dimensions of our grill
plate, would that do it? Maybe I'd have to make an adapter to lower the
plate closer to the burner?

Interested in your thoughts.....

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I forgot to mention, I did see a product called "little Q" or something like
that online, but I had a hard time taking it serious watching their online
videos that showed

1) cooking hot dogs next to raw chicken (ummmm gross gross gross and why
wouldn't you just use the grill without their product?

2) cleaning one half of their grill while half cooked hamburgers cooked on
the other side.

Plus I don't know that their product would get hot enough, sitting on top of
the grates instead of closer to the burner.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-01-24 22:44:33 -0600, "swibirun" > said:

> I love smoking with my SNP and grilling with my natural gas supplied
> Sunbeam (Sorry Hank Hill....I had a line run).
>
> But I also like to do teppanyaki (aka "hibachi") style cooking at home,
> like they do at Japanese steakhouses (a totally American tradition, per
> our Japanese friends).
> For now, I start the meat on the grill until very rare and then cut it
> and finish it in an electric skillet on high.
>
> I would love to be able to cook it all on one surface like one of those
> teppanyaki restaurant grills, but looked into one for the home and they
> run $2100 just for the parts. Uh....no thanks.
>
> Brainstorming from this point forward:
> Then I started wondering. Would it be possible to temporarily convert
> a gas grill (natural gas) to such a teppanyaki grill?
>
> If I could get a piece of stainless steel cut to the dimensions of our
> grill plate, would that do it? Maybe I'd have to make an adapter to
> lower the plate closer to the burner?
>
> Interested in your thoughts.....
>
> Chris

You might try this:

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73005.asp

I don't have any experience with it, but the description sounds right.
Just make sure you have a powerful grill so that the heat stays high
enough during cooking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2007-01-27 07:43:52 -0600, Hal Burton > said:

> On 2007-01-24 22:44:33 -0600, "swibirun" > said:
>
>> I love smoking with my SNP and grilling with my natural gas supplied
>> Sunbeam (Sorry Hank Hill....I had a line run).
>>
>> But I also like to do teppanyaki (aka "hibachi") style cooking at home,
>> like they do at Japanese steakhouses (a totally American tradition, per
>> our Japanese friends).
>> For now, I start the meat on the grill until very rare and then cut it
>> and finish it in an electric skillet on high.
>>
>> I would love to be able to cook it all on one surface like one of those
>> teppanyaki restaurant grills, but looked into one for the home and they
>> run $2100 just for the parts. Uh....no thanks.
>>
>> Brainstorming from this point forward:
>> Then I started wondering. Would it be possible to temporarily convert
>> a gas grill (natural gas) to such a teppanyaki grill?
>>
>> If I could get a piece of stainless steel cut to the dimensions of our
>> grill plate, would that do it? Maybe I'd have to make an adapter to
>> lower the plate closer to the burner?
>>
>> Interested in your thoughts.....
>>
>> Chris

> You might try this:
>
> http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73005.asp
>
> I don't have any experience with it, but the description sounds right.
> Just make sure you have a powerful grill so that the heat stays high
> enough during cooking.

It looks like a lot of grills have optional griddle attachments which
sit in the place of a grate. Have you checked if your model has such an
option?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Hal Burton" > wrote in message >>
>> You might try this:
>>
>> http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73005.asp
>>
>> I don't have any experience with it, but the description sounds right.
>> Just make sure you have a powerful grill so that the heat stays high
>> enough during cooking.

> It looks like a lot of grills have optional griddle attachments which sit
> in the place of a grate. Have you checked if your model has such an
> option?

Hal,

Thanks. That looks like the other product I was looking at. Like you
mentioned, high heat will be an issue. I had not checked back with Sunbeam
since the grill I have is 8 years old. I'll check to see if it matches the
size of their current accessories, good idea.

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"swibirun" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Hal Burton" > wrote in message >>
> >> You might try this:
> >>
> >> http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73005.asp
> >>
> >> I don't have any experience with it, but the description sounds right.
> >> Just make sure you have a powerful grill so that the heat stays high
> >> enough during cooking.

> > It looks like a lot of grills have optional griddle attachments which

sit
> > in the place of a grate. Have you checked if your model has such an
> > option?
> >

> Hal,
>
> Thanks. That looks like the other product I was looking at. Like you
> mentioned, high heat will be an issue. I had not checked back with

Sunbeam
> since the grill I have is 8 years old. I'll check to see if it matches

the
> size of their current accessories, good idea.
>
> Chris

The heat should not be a problen Most japanese grills run only about 450
degrees f (or so)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
HS HS is offline

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:44:33 -0500, "swibirun"
> > wrote:
>
>>Brainstorming from this point forward:
>>Then I started wondering. Would it be possible to temporarily convert a
>>gas
>>grill (natural gas) to such a teppanyaki grill?
>>
>>If I could get a piece of stainless steel cut to the dimensions of our
>>grill
>>plate, would that do it?

> My thought runs along the lines of 'can you get some cast iron cut to
> the size instead of stainless, given that cast iron seasons so
> nicely'.
>
> -denny-

Check out this page from Lodge. It's cast iron and a lot cheaper than the
stainless steel thing.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3943

Howard

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Feb-2007, "HS" > wrote:

> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:44:33 -0500, "swibirun"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Brainstorming from this point forward:
> >>Then I started wondering. Would it be possible to temporarily convert a
> >>
> >>gas
> >>grill (natural gas) to such a teppanyaki grill?
> >>
> >>If I could get a piece of stainless steel cut to the dimensions of our
> >>grill
> >>plate, would that do it?

> > My thought runs along the lines of 'can you get some cast iron cut to
> > the size instead of stainless, given that cast iron seasons so
> > nicely'.
> >
> > -denny-

> Check out this page from Lodge. It's cast iron and a lot cheaper than the
> stainless steel thing.
>
> https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3943
>
> Howard

That Lodge product looks extremely similar to an "Emeril" product I viewed
today at my local Bed, Bath & Beyond store. The "Emeril" product is double
sided, unfinished cast iron and very heavy. The price was similar as well.
On
further browsing, I noticed at least on instance of "Emeril/Lodge" being
used
as a source for another product.
--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)